Tomb Raider = A real gem

Was a good game indeed. Played it on PC and PS4.

Where is this paltry price being offered by the way?

wait long enough and pretty much any game can be had for under $10...Tomb Raider was a great reboot/origin story

I did like it but I hated how everything was always blowing up and fire, you were usually always running to escape something, and all the destruction of those buildings and history. :p

Picked it up at the last sale and am enjoying Tomb Raider also, didn't think it would be this good, great game.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It was one of the few games that couldn't be sidetracked by my gaming ADD.

I need to replay this again. I enjoyed the shit out of it and couldnt hardly stop playing it. Very good story, great game play and graphics and very good atmosphere. Id gladly pay $40 for it now!

Very good game, actually finished it, which is rare for me these days. Don't have any desire to go back and 100% or replay though, really.

Amen brother - I got it on the Steam sale too and have been having a blast the last couple of days. Great game!

I agree. Underrated and overlooked. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Very good game..Like others have said, it's hard to put down. I almost never finish a game any more and I play this all the way through. Think I'm at 98% cleared. I might go back once my new rig is finished and get 100%. Can't wait to see it cranked on a 21:9 monitor on dual 290's. I think it's one of the best looking games if not the best looking game when it came out.

Yeah, like others stated above, Tomb Raider was one of the rare games that kept me playing all the way through to the end. It was a total blast all the way through.

Very much looking forward to the next game.

It was my personal GOTY from last year. First game in a long time that I actually wanted to keep playing and find all the collectibles and whatnot.

In contrast I thought the game was riddled with problems.

The only nice things I can say about the game is that it has nice graphics and art direction. And the levels do a great job at emphasizing elevation with multi-tiered design, effective framing, and mid-game climbing and traversal mechanics which really make good use of said tiered environments.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

as fun as the traversal can be-------the game unfortunately employs a heavy engine assist on jumping. It's pretty common that you will under charge a jump and the engine will awkwardly force you to make the jump anyway. It's totally stupid and fumbly. Sometimes causing you to mess up, when you are legitimately trying something!

The combat was way too easy even on the hardest difficulty.

For like 1/3 of the game, you don't have access to melee. Yet the game often jams you into tight quarters, where melee would really be nice. Instead you are forced to fumble around with guns/bow only, for too long.

When you finally get Melee, it's too contextual and with just a couple of upgrades, turns into overpowered 1 and 2 button kills.

It's a worst offender in the area of fake stealth gameplay. The game often sets you up for success by positioning enemies and you in such a way, that all you have to do is press forward and a couple of buttons, to get two or three stealth kills....

With all of those combat problems totaled up: the majority of the game felt like going-through-the-motions for me. The visuals were the only thing driving me onward, to see what I could see next.

The upgrade system is a mostly contrived piece of garbage.

There's a couple of confounding moments in the game where it will suddenly send a ton of enemies at you, all at once. I guess to fake difficulty?------except there are some easy ways to get through where at least one situation causes all of those enemies to dissappear!

I played it on PS3 shortly after release. Don't generally buy games on launch, but I made an exception with TR. Excellent reboot only lacking in replay. A little too much predetermined gameplay with the QTEs and scripted events. I thought the camera and controls were fine tuned to the point of perfection. Exploration was pretty good. Tombs were fun with clever puzzles, but tiny. Combat was always fun and exciting. Lara was fully developed as a character to the point where I actually grew attached to her.

I hope there is a sequel because these devs have a lot of talent!

The only nice things I can say about the game is that it has nice graphics and art direction. And the levels do a great job at emphasizing elevation with multi-tiered design, effective framing, and mid-game climbing and traversal mechanics which really make good use of said tiered environments.

as fun as the traversal can be-------the game unfortunately employs a heavy engine assist on jumping. It's pretty common that you will under charge a jump and the engine will awkwardly force you to make the jump anyway. It's totally stupid and fumbly. Sometimes causing you to mess up, when you are legitimately trying something!

For like 1/3 of the game, you don't have access to melee. Yet the game often jams you into tight quarters, where melee would really be nice. Instead you are forced to fumble around with guns/bow only, for too long.

When you finally get Melee, it's too contextual and with just a couple of upgrades, turns into overpowered 1 and 2 button kills.

It's a worst offender in the area of fake stealth gameplay. The game often sets you up for success by positioning enemies and you in such a way, that all you have to do is press forward and a couple of buttons, to get two or three stealth kills....

With all of those combat problems totaled up: the majority of the game felt like going-through-the-motions for me. The visuals were the only thing driving me onward, to see what I could see next.

There's a couple of confounding moments in the game where it will suddenly send a ton of enemies at you, all at once. I guess to fake difficulty?------except there are some easy ways to get through where at least one situation causes all of those enemies to dissappear!

Didn't care about or notice anything you mentioned. My GOTY 2013. It was a blast to play.

it's an alright game, but like many others, the disconnect between lara's emotions/inner monologue and her actions was so severe that it was comical at times. 'oh i am so scared, oh my god they're killing people, oh no oh no oh no' and then five minutes later she's already racked up 20 kills, headshotting bad guys left and right. it should've been a stealth game, not run and gun.

I suppose those are valid points. No game is perfect and while those things may he problems (although I never noticed them or cared about them) the game was so good and immersive that it was more like a 12 or so hour (can't remember exactly how long it was) interactive movie.

I think there is a place for games like Tomb Raider that while they may not have all the great mechanics and stuff like say Borderlands 2, they have a superb story and atmosphere and really draw you into to the game. Mass Effect is another one. I can lose myself in that game for hour upon hour even tho its mechanics are really flawed and nowhere near as good as others.

If I want to do some precision killing I'll play Borderlands or Crysis. If I want to lose myself in a game and get away from 2 crappy jobs, nagging wife and whatever I'll play Tomb Raider or Mass Effect.

Played it for the first time a few months ago. I was surprised how long it held my interest. If you can get it for cheap and never tried it I highly recommend it.

Still didnt defeat my pc game ADD. Got about 75% thru and just quit. Typical for me tho.

Of course a bow will be awkward in close quarters! That's half the fun! Close quarters with bow/gun without melee is either hard or it is easy. You can't have it both ways. I enjoyed the challenge of trying to survive with a bow in hand while in close quarters. Hard was more like normal, yes but it still was a challenge to kill guys flawlessly. Challenge yourself with how efficiently you kill them rather than let the number of combat deaths + "red screen near death experiences" be your gauge for enjoyable challenge. In other words, simulate a true island survival where surviving means minimizing getting nicked with bullets and arrows. If you can get through the game without getting nicked then you are awesome. Forget those "I have to be dying/near dying before the game is tough" stuff. Of course it's easy not to die in combat. Regenerating health is just about as unrealistic as instaheal potions and instaheal medkits.

Also, the autocorrect jump mechanics wasn't that bad or noticeable to me. It's not like my keyboard can detect how hard I can hit the spacebar. What else would you do if you made a game requiring a lot of acrobatic jumps?

What else would you do if you made a game requiring a lot of acrobatic jumps?

I greatly enjoy 3d platformers of varying quality. I enjoy their freedom, bounce,and responsive (if sometimes a bit quirky) controls.

The older Tomb Raiders games are part of that group.

2013 Tomb Raider's engine assist for jumping is really annoying and promotes lazy and/or imprecise play. and as I mentioned, can actually foul up attempts at more precise/deliberate actions. Of the many good things to borrow form Uncharted 1 and 2, engine assist on jumping mechanics was not a good thing to borrow. It sucked in Uncharted and it sucks here.

I greatly enjoy 3d platformers of varying quality. I enjoy their freedom, bounce,and responsive (if sometimes a bit quirky) controls.

The older Tomb Raiders games are part of that group.

2013 Tomb Raider's engine assist for jumping is really annoying and promotes lazy and/or imprecise play. and as I mentioned, can actually foul up attempts at more precise/deliberate actions. Of the many good things to borrow form Uncharted 1 and 2, engine assist on jumping mechanics was not a good thing to borrow. It sucked in Uncharted and it sucks here.

I don't remember anything special about jumping in the old tomb raider games. It seemed to fudge your character's position and catch you in the right place often times. It's been a while since I played but I don't remember any fine tuned control either in those older ones. Did it really adjust your jumps based on how long your space bar was held?

Older tomb raiders actually tend to work on a grid based system on positioning your jumps using the back step and walk buttons could set you up for most jumps correctly.

The controls actually worked quite well once you figured them out and made the platforming that much more satisfying when you pull it of. Things like judging your distance, timing your jumps and grabbing ledges actually meant something because you had to do it not the game doing it all in some sort of fancy spectacle of false danger or elaborate qte.

Yup, played through it 3 times. It's especially effective in 3D Vision. Might do it again :D

I really liked this reboot. Especially this part

E13C35B21F7AF3FFEB6310BA1FE7B7101C511215

It was definitely in my top 5 games played last year. Can't wait for the next one in this seriese, Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I did often feel like this was Tomb Raider: Michael Bay Edition, especially that one part in the middle of the game (you'll know what I'm talking about if you've played it ;)). But I did thoroughly enjoy playing through this game. I hope that the next one will be more about exploration and less shooting.

It's my favorite of the series. I paid retail price and don't regret it at all.
My only gripe is that there isn't much reason to replay it. I did all of the side stuff on my first pass and there's no NG+. Actually, other than the items/abilities that would break quests, I'd love to see a NG+ mode for the game. I wish every game had one.

Actually it's called Boob Raider. Not sure where you guys are seeing the 'Tomb' in the title. :confused:

Yeah, one thing I will say is that the "Tomb" aspect definitely took a backdoor to action and BAYSPLOSIONS everywhere. Would be nice to have some better puzzles going on and some larger tombs rather than just "figure out this one easy thing in this one room and that's it".

Yeah I typically was not a fan of the Tomb Raider games, after seeing reviews and the fact it came free with some video cards I pounced on it. It was easily one of the top 3 games I played last year. I cannot wait for the follow up.

I'm kind of in both camps regarding this game.

I'm with chameleoneel in the sense that i agree with a lot of what he said, but at the same time I had a lot of fun playing the game.

If I had to pick out a single thing I hated about it, it would have to be the quick time events. It really just made me facepalm every time I experienced one.
But still, it was just a fun game to play, and a nice break from the norm. Definitely a top game from 2013.

Back