Tomb Raider (2013) & nvidia stability issues...

Syphon Filter

2[H]4U
Hi,

I am playing Tomb Raider and have been experiencing stability issues. Mainly a few CTDs and the odd hard lock.

Having done some reading, it seems that there were some major issues with nvidia hardware when this game was first released.

However, there have been several patches since then and nvidia driver updates (all of which I am running).

Can anyone else comment whether the issues persist even now?

Alternatively, is this game very sensitive to overclock instability? Maybe it's highlighting an issue with my +100 Core and +200 VRAM?

Any opinions and advice would be much appreciated!

Definitely try without overclock, especially if using TressFX which pushes the card harder than typical gaming.

I played the game about a year ago on the rig in my signature. I had zero issues with the game and drivers that were current at that time. I do not overclock so I would suggest you back your card down to stock and see if that helps with stability.

Great, great game. Good luck! Hope you get your issues knocked out. :p

Had zero issues playing the game half a year ago with an i7-4770 and single GTX 780. Everything was running at stock. Ran the game with all settings turned up (including TressFX) with FXAA at 1920x1080 @144 Hz. I have not played the game since going SLI a month ago, so I want to check if it's maybe an SLI problem if your overclock is not causing the issue.

Thanks chaps.

I've backed my core OC off and that looks like it has fixed it. It looks like TR is good for finding stability issues, I've had zero problems with other games.

Thanks again for the input. I was hoping it would be something else but alas it looks like my GPUs along with my CPU are just not cut out of big OCs!

As for TressFX, I disabled that as it looks a bit glitchy at times (mainly in the cut-scenes/where control is taken away from you).

The game ran rather good for me back when it was new. At first I tried it with a 560ti 2GB and it ran rather poorly with all settings maxed out. Hours in I learned I did not have the latest drivers; updating it improved my frame rates by 70% or so. It was decently playable. Towards the last part of the game my GTX670 PE/OC came in. Zero issues with it and I got 50 frame rates or so with maxed settings and Tress FX.

I have since upgraded from the AMD 965 at stock to a 4670K at 4GHZ. Going by the benchmark I only gained 2-3 frame rates. I'll eventually play through the game again.

I played it with my GTX 670 and it worked fine. I did have to disable TressFX because it would drag down into the upper 20's here and there especially during cut scenes where it could even get in the teens. Without TressFX, it cruised along just fine up around 60 FPS.

I played through with an OC on my 780 and had no problems; game ran great. I did disable TressFX and run shadows at 'high' setting instead of 'ultra' or whatever the max was.

It's definitely a visually demanding game so considering lowering your OC a bit.

Yup, dropped the OC down and that seems to have cured it. Obvious really but I was hoping it may have been something else.

Also, I keep forgetting the card is an EVGA SC model so it's already running at 980MHz over the stock 876Mhz. My +100MHz was putting it into 1080MHz base clock.

I've backed my OC off to +50Mhz (1030MHz base) and the game seems happy now. I will keep an eye on it though.

Regarding the game, I've played it on XBox 360 already so this is just a replay to see how the PC version compares (got in Steam sale).

It's weird, I put this machine together in December (13) after being without a gaming PC for quite some time (c. 8 years) but it seems I'm spending a disproportionate amount of time replaying games that I've already played on PC!!!

e.g.

Tomb Raid
Arkham Asylum
Arkham City
Arkham Origins
Just Cause 2
Far Cry 3

Played new stuff too though...

TressFX is the villian. You can easily max this game out without that. A lot of us bypassed it and I never missed it.

TressFX is more compute heavy and nvidia cards in general from my experience seem more sensitive to it and don't like to be pushed so hard. Probably depends on different cooling solutions (ie: vrm cooling, or lack thereof on some models for starters)

Back