Tomato w/ WRT54G Linksys vs Wireless N router

ilarehson

Weaksauce
Hey all,

I am looking to boost my wireless signal so I can stream HD content seamlessly, more than my current WRT54G (v 8, so I can't use 3rd party tomato firmware on that).

I already know quick fixes, such as this

but my question is, will a tomato based linksys wireless G router outperform a wireless N router? Which is the better one to go with. Also, I know there are wireless N routers that also support tomato firmware, which I would be wiling to do, but it tends to get more costly. I would like to stay below $50, if not at max $50.

Any help is much appreciated!

but my question is, will a tomato based linksys wireless G router outperform a wireless N router?

No in my experience with several different setups. No matter how much you try to crank up a G unit with DD or Tomato, (with stock antennas to keep it fair)...it can't touch what I've had (and still currently have) an N unit broadcast to.

I ran several different wrt54gl versions with DD and Tomato in my current house, an old 3 story farmhouse. My network gear is up on the 3rd floor. I never had full 54 megs with my laptops down on the first floor. Not long ago I snagged a wrt150N for free, so took that home..flashed with DD...replaced my 54gl with it. I get full 54 down on the first floor now..no matter where I am. I can even watch Hulu on my laptop now..it often stuttered before or I had to let it spool up several times during an episode.

I have never had anything even close to 54g on my Wifi router.

Though I have noticed a significant increase in both performance and stability since I switched over to the most recent version of Tomato on my WRT-45g v2 router.

Back