Tomato vs DD-WRT

NeilFarted

Gawd
i was wondering if anyone had experience with Tomato firmware on their routers. i know that DD-WRT is pretty popular, but i couldn't really get it to work well on my buffalo wrt-hp-g54, and have just installed Tomato, which seems to be working pretty well, so far. anybody else have opinions on the two?

dd-wrt works on buffalo's, thats what i like to use.

i loaded up tomato on a spare router, but never really got around to looking at it, dd-wrt has everything i'd need

I found Tomato felt a bit snappier....liked it more. I don't recall ever having to reset the router when I ran Tomato...once in a while I did with DD. Yes DD has some more features...but if you don't have a need for those extra features...it's not an issue. Try both..only takes a minute to flash each one...see which you prefer.

I run both.

Tomato = pretty pictures, graphs, bandwidth reports & snappy quick.

DDWRT = tons of features that turn your router into a hardcore networking device.

My Buffalo Router runs DDWRT and runs great. It has ran the last 4 months perfectly without a reset.

I have never used Tomato, I bought the router here on HardForum and it had DDWRT already on it.

I haven't tried Tomato, but I use DD-WRT on my WRT54GS v.1 and it is incredible. The only thing I can't get to work right is the remote login via http/https.. (if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Sorry for the hijack. :D )

DD-WRT has so many settings you can tweak, your head will explode. :p But everything is clearly labeled and it has a great in-router faq to let you know exactly what everything does. I find it very user friendly.

I ran DDWRT for a bunch of years - worked great with my cable modem. When I moved + only had the option for DSL, I couldn't make DD-WRT work correctly with PPPOE. I tried several diffrent versions + still had problems. I'd have to reboot the modem + router every two days or less.

I switched to Tomato just because I wanted to see if it would make a diffrence - and for PPPOE it really did - I don't ever have to think about my router anymore. I lost a few functions that I didn't really use anyway by switching to tomato, but I gained stability with PPPOE in the mix.

Back