Tom Cruise Thinks You Should Turn Off Motion Interpolation

thank you tom!!

i hate this feature. before my aquos lc45gd5u's logic board died, i thought i'd never have to worry about this.

now im always looking to disable "motionflow" or whatever. when i saw my buddy watch stuff with it on, i asked him how he found it tolerable. he didn't even know what i was talking about.

this mode makes everything look like it was shot realtime in a basement imo.
My OCD triggers when I see people's "max dynamic kill your eyes, every terrible feature ON" setup TVs.

if you're a true videophile you turn off all extra processing features such as Motion Smoothing, Noise Reduction, extra Sharpness etc...I'm glad to see people like Christopher Nolan and Cruise championing this...display manufacturers need to listen and ship these sets with that soap opera effect setting Disabled...sad that most, if not all displays nowadays (even high end OLED's like my LG C7) come with it Enabled by default

When I go to some peoples houses I turn it off while they are not in the room, it's ungodly annoying for movies. Live sports? Ok. Movies or the like....NO. Most people have no idea what it is, and lots of TVs are coming with it on by default.
I do exactly the same thing...

an aside: tom cruise is teh FUCKING MAN.

i never thought he'd recover after the whole katie holmes oprah thing, but man some of the roles he took 18 years ago were unreal.

minority report, anyone? top gun? vanilla sky? eyes wide shut? jeez the list goes on, but i'd say those are some (of his) that influenced me the most.

really loved him as the doctor in eyes wide shut (kubrick was trying to capture the mundane aspects of a typical "high earner" who unwittingly fraternises with the "illuminati", which is how the plot thickens).
Ummm... OK. How did your last 'audit' go?

Last edited:
The hobbit in high framerate was one of the most awful things I've seen. The problem is that the added sharpness and detail completely destroys your suspension of disbelief, you can see imperfections in prosthetics and makeup, the swing of a prop sword now looks like its made of foam, uncanny valley with cgi... The list goes on... At 24fps your brain is doing half the work to make the movie believable and you don't even notice it.

I feel for both sides of this. Those who want the low 24p/29.97 due to art, ignorance, limitations of the production, or limitations of the tech they're using. There's also the added costs of medium. Increasing frames means more storage needed whether film or digital and that could be double or triple the costs(and quite honestly I think these Hollywood types are more concerned with cutting into their paychecks). Meanwhile, I'm one of those people who has come to enjoy 60-120fps in games for the last 10+ years and now anything less than 60fps seems like a spastic flip book.

Regardless of the side of the fence I do agree that t.v.'s default settings for features/effects should be off and various settings should be zero/center. We should have the choice at start, not after hours of tinkering. Anytime I get a new display it can take up to a week to turn off all the extra's depending on how 'smart' it is.

I also agree that the Hobbit was a mess(on many levels) but this happens with every new tech in motion pictures. From silent to audio there were issues. From B/W to color the set designs/costumes/makeup all had to adjust. From SD to HD, the same(t.v. actors and news anchors loathed HD at start) and then HD to UHD more of the same. Increasing frame speeds also needs adjusting in production.

These are HD TVs with very high contrast, color, and resolution. These devices should NOT have any "enhancements" whatsoever. They are all a gimmick thought of by a marketer without a technical clue. As a marketing ploy, it works. They get to advertise a whizbang feature which is totally useless and actually degrades the experience.

Beyond motion interpolation, you need to also disable ALL enhancements. Set your display to "reference" or "studio". Anything else is modifying the picture from its original, and frankly looks ugly. Some people are addicted to these settings, and think when they disable them the picture is somehow worse (all addicts say that about life). You will need time to get used to what a good picture looks like. You will.

Settings like "movie" or "sports" or "dark room" or other stupid things like that, turn it off. Studios, editors, and show creators use their displays on reference, although many have them custom calibrated, but the factory default for "reference" is already pretty darn close to accurate. Colors are natural, contrast is as intended. Colors aren't supposed to be "bright and vivid" all of the time, but only when they are bright and vivid in the content. Stop artificially boosting this stuff.

Every time I go to my parents house, I change the SD channel they're watching in stretched mode to HD equivalent they're subscribed to. They still ask why I changed the channel and seem surprised that they have 2 of the same channels.
Cable boxes should have a system setting to automatically tune to the HD channel if you go to the SD one. I know it's there on the Xfinity box my parents have. Issue is if they do channel surfing it won't work. You have to directly go to the channel either through the guide or by typing it in. Other issue is that these boxes still have composite video out on them. I know I had to swap out the composite for HDMI for my parents when they first got HD. And then you have to make sure the box isn't defaulting to 720p instead of 1080p.
The problem is most UHD 4K tv's that are cheap are 60hz native...couple that with a 24fps movie, and the soap opera effect is worse. I have a 120hz tv and can adjust my effects to be less soap opera and an in between setting.
Most televisions these days support 3:2 pulldown mode if it doesn't support 24 Hz. My midrange Samsung TV supports 24 Hz natively. Not all implementations of 3:2 pulldown are made equally, though.

Back