Tom Cruise Thinks You Should Turn Off Motion Interpolation

Funny enough, most don't ever notice. And one made a comment of "Why does the movie look different now?", I asked if it looked better or worse, they said "much better".

Every time I go to my parents house, I change the SD channel they're watching in stretched mode to HD equivalent they're subscribed to. They still ask why I changed the channel and seem surprised that they have 2 of the same channels.

This stuff makes me motion sick, walk into Costco every time and I SMH at the awful motion smoothing. As I get older I realize I easily get motion sick though.

One of the worse problems with getting older. I can't play FPS games for very long any more. :(:(:(

Every time I go to my parents house, I change the SD channel they're watching in stretched mode to HD equivalent they're subscribed to. They still ask why I changed the channel and seem surprised that they have 2 of the same channels.

I do this with my parents as well, and a number of younger people also, where even HD channels they have the TV set to some zoom mode that cuts off part of the image. I had one friend I went to and saw the game on and was like "why is the aspect ratio all off?", they have no idea what I was talking about but everyone had oval heads it was so bad, this is from the same guy who needed the newest 75" 4k TV because 1080 wasn't good, and is already talking about how much better 8k TVs will be.....It's like, dude, you couldn't even tell the image was totally distorted! But hey, thats marketing doing it's job.

If I'm watching sports, sure, I'll keep it on. I disable it for everything else. I want to watch my shows and movies at their source framerate.

I normally do not agree with Tom Cruise on anything (personally I think he's the biggest asshole in Hollywood) but I do agree with him on this one. The Motion Interpolation that most TVs have these days gives me a damn headache.

SVP in Windows. I go out of my way to ENABLE it.

Just 2 mentions in this whole thread, despite its utter relevance. I also go out of my way to enable it in Linux, where somehow the free version allows customisable rates but the free windows version is locked to refresh rate.

Doubling fps in 24 and 30 fps trailers helps alot to reduce perceptible stutter, especially when one is used to 120hz+ motion.

Tom Cruise is 56

He clearly has magic and should be obeyed

You'd expect them to at least up to speed about what interpolation actually is. It doesn't remove motion blur. If it did I'd be on the moon. Motion blur is the enemy.

I'm with them but not for the reasons they think. Adding interpolation to a movie already recorded with extremely long shutter is pointless. It just makes things worse. The problem with 24 fps film is that there is too long a time between frames, and for the motion to look smooth, they need to use low shutter speed. But this causes motion blur, especially during fast action and fast camera movement. Adding motion interpolation to that just inserts another blurry frame between two already blurry frames. So it is pointless and will make things look weird. Especially since the algorithms work best with crisp picture where edges are clearly visible.

Film is not sacred, 24 fps is not sacred, or a sweet spot, you just got used to it, and you loath change.

P.S: did they just cut Tom off in the middle of a sentence?

I prefer the Motion smoothing turned off. Movies don't look like movies with it on.

when I bought my first 4k tv it had motion interpolation on by default. I almost returned the TV because video on it was so horrible to watch.
Watching movies on plex, youtube, netflix, all looked jumpy and laggy. Luckily for Samsung, I googled it, and turned off the setting for it. Had to do the same thing for my dad.

Of course Tom is against it, motion smoothing removes thetans.

Better not say anything bad about Tom! He'll report you to his Mummy! (Drum-Roll Please) :eggface:

Disable it on every TV I can get my hands on. Same as others. It mucks up the background and foreground making everything look washed out like an old British soap.

This stuff bugs me most on LCD tv's I hate watching sports on them after watching it on my Plasma.

The motion during sports games always looks way off.

And most of my friends don't notice until they come over to my place then watch NFL/NHL/NBA whatever.

The problem is most UHD 4K tv's that are cheap are 60hz native...couple that with a 24fps movie, and the soap opera effect is worse. I have a 120hz tv and can adjust my effects to be less soap opera and an in between setting.

I dont like interpolation done badly or applied too strong.
Some implementations are pretty good though.

The first time I saw it done well was SVP (Smooth Video Project).
It needs max smoothness and strongest artifact masking to get the best from it, but artifact maxing on highest reduces how effective the smoothing is (you notice frame changes more).
So I have been varying between max smoothness and one step down on artifact which gives a little bit of trail on moving objects, or losing the slight artefacts and getting a very slightly stuttery video (nothing like the original though).
It can look a bit fake with some video (perhaps already over processed video) but more often than not its superb.
But I've stopped using it now ...

My latest TV is a Samsung Q9 and the interpolation is fantastic when set up well.
Without using Game mode I set Auto Motion Plus to Blur Reduction 10, Judder reduction 6.
The only downside is the video player or windows refresh rate need setting to 24Hz mode for 24p video playback or there is a judder around every 8 seconds.
Judder reduction set higher than 6 starts to introduce the soap opera effect, 7 is ok still.
This .. is .. an .. awesome .. TV !
The image quality is incredible but be sure to update to the latest firmware, I almost sent mine back before that due to serious artefacting.

The reason I dont use game mode is because I game at 1440p 120Hz, the lag is so low it doesnt need the inconvenience of using the separate game mode config in a more awkward place ;)
This has made it so easy to use, I dont need to adjust anything, ever.
It even does HDR in RGB full. no need to change to ycbcr 4:2:2 or 4:2:0.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention:
It plays most video via its USB port as well, avoiding setting up the player for 24p.
H265 no problem and it can feed multi channel back to your amp over HDMI (if it supports that).

Last edited:
I've left motion smoothing on for the past 6 years.

a31.png

SVP in Windows. I go out of my way to ENABLE it.
Facedesks. No. Bad. Does anyone have a similar video from Anime directors asking people to stop using SVP on anime? Because I know there was at least some forum comments from an anime director floating around complaining about it...people seriously turn on frame interpolation for anime when anime creators already created it to go at the speed they intended and wanted.
All SVP does to film and anime is introduce a heavy soap opera effect. People who desire this need to wake up, I get the idea of being addicted to things.
My Strange Addiction: Motion Interpolation

For what it's worth, I disagree with Tom on this one. Good video interpolation can make a film look significantly sharper, particularly in action heavy scenes someone like Tom Cruise is likely to be in.
It doesn't make the image look sharper it makes the motion flow with less hitches. It actually makes the image look softer. Watch a movie's credits with interpolation off, then with it set to 72hz (or whatever) and you'll notice interpolation is blurrier.

Meh it depends on your flavor
24fps double shuttered to 48fps really improves clarity
24fps interpelated to 240fps means only 1 frame in 10 is real, and the rest is a guess
24fps with blend frames converted to 72fps seems to be my sweet spot.

Or you know, you could start filming movies using something other than the slowest fps required to record audio, on film with iso nothing. Its not "artistic", it was the limit of the most state of the art equipment from 100 years ago.
We didnt pick 29.97fps for ntsc and 25fps for pal because of art, we picked it so it matched the wave form of the electricity that was ran to our houses...

Whats next, keeping high way speeds at 55 because that was the technical limit of drum brakes stopping a car within 250ft?
OK, yes, this is a good post. Motion smoothing isn't about making the image sharper, or creating the soap opera effect; the people developing this technology would rather it not have the soap opera effect.
Good video interpolation is purely about removing motion judder that comes from playing a 24fps film on a 60hz TV. The typical adjustments your TV makes to display the 24fps video at 60hz creates hitches when the camera pans, the basis of good video interpolation is to remove those hitches. Period. This is why bluray players have 24p modes. But when you play your video at 24p and have no interpolation, when the video pans most of the smoothness is gone compared to 60hz with interpolation disabled.

72fps interpolation looks like film at the movie theaters. Pioneer Plasma TV's (the Kuro series of TV) have this feature in Film Mode: Advanced. It takes 23p/24p signals from your PC or Bluray player, and it displays them at 72hz with 72fps video interpolation to remove the motion judder. This is 3:3 cadence, instead of 3:2 pulldown like SVP does, no artifacts or soap opera effect.

When watching video/film recorded at 60fps you always need motion interpolation disabled because it just messes it up. Otherwise 72fps is the sweet spot motion interpolation you should be aiming for.
Now I haven't had extensive testing with 120hz, 144hz, 240hz interpolation. But the basic formula is to go with the highest cadence that still leaves motion looking natural (no soap opera effect), gives no ghosting, but removes motion judder. Maybe one day I'll get to spend a few hours with each other of those modes, but I am fortunate to have 72fps / 3:3 cadence on my Plasma. That is good interpolation that leaves motion natural like 24fps, but also removes hitching / motion judder in the camera pans and retains the smoothness of the camera pan like in 60hz with interpolation disabled.
Fuck that takes forever to explain.

Last edited:
I've always called it "the camcorder" effect. Anyone remembers old camcorders, the same thing as those.

i love high frame rates in games but i have alwwase disabled frame smoothing in tv sets the first time i ever saw it, its horrible, and it introduces artifacts in some movies

I turn this off on every TV I come across... even at other people's houses. Most of them are too dumb to care it's on by default. Those that do notice, thank me later.

i love high frame rates in games but i have alwwase disabled frame smoothing in tv sets the first time i ever saw it, its horrible, and it introduces artifacts in some movies

I hated it the first time I saw it too; then I found a settings menu to adjust it.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
I've always called it "the camcorder" effect. Anyone remembers old camcorders, the same thing as those.
That's the beauty of analog interlacing. It's called "fields per second" in that context. It was further degraded (or enhanced, depending on how you look at it) by cheap recording heads that would retain signal over several fields; compounded with cheap (or failing) capacitors and phosphor in your CRT TV, you get infinite interpolation for free. ;)

That's the beauty of analog interlacing. It's called "fields per second" in that context. It was further degraded (or enhanced, depending on how you look at it) by cheap recording heads that would retain signal over several fields; compounded with cheap (or failing) capacitors and phosphor in your CRT TV, you get infinite interpolation for free. ;)
This is one of the problems with some modern TVs/monitors and how good the built in algorithms are.

The faster the refresh rate the more likely you are to notice individual frames.
This is because slower refresh screens hang onto the previous frame for longer and end up merging it with the next frame.
Its another level of blurring, more than that applied to the video.
By the same tune, faster refresh screens dont hold on to the previous image for very long and it can appear there is a gap between each frame.

What matters now with modern screens is how good the interpolation routines are, because they will need to be used.
The alternative is getting used to what looks to me like flickery video.
And you can get used to it as long as you dont see anything smoother.
The better solution is to find a display with decent interpolation and to set it correctly , imo ;)

Don't care for Cruise but I have to agree. My bother is one for top of the line TVs and every different one he had made pictures look like a soap opera show. I don't know if the technology has changed but it used to seriously suck

SVP no. Very bad. x.X Read my previous post.
...well how about that. Our computers are nearly the same build except I have a GTX 1070.

Last edited:
Back