Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

Well I'm playing at 4k with two 980 ti's in SLI, so I had to knock down the draw distance & vegetation to "High" and then turn off AA to get my frames back up in the 60's. With Everything at max I was getting low 30's with several dips into the low 20's. Not playable. That said, while the land looks pretty bland when up in a Helo, I didn't really notice (or care) about the nominal graphical loss when on the ground. It was a much better experience at 60 fps, but I'd still welcome the optimizations.

As far as game play goes, the one thing that kept going through my head was "Tom Clancy's Grand Cry 5". The game has elements of all those IP's mashed together. I don't mind some of that, allows for diversity (serious or goofy game play), but I think it is yet to be seen if it will work over-all in a 100+ hour game.

Well it's basically Ubisoft Open-World Game #2344362 ™

Indeed. Open world is to Ubisoft as CoD is to Activision: run that formula into the ground. Regardless, if this were a modern, tactical Witcher 3 I'd be all over it. Since it's a GTA with sniper rifles I'm less enthused. I played more tonight and found a number of bugs + general mechanics that got old really fast. I really want to like this game, but apart from the CO-OP, it's a struggle. Frankly I thought both GRAW's were better games than this looks to be.

With Mass Effect Andromeda and Horizon Zero Dawn releasing at roughly the same time, I think I will be waiting on this one. Release reviews could change my mind, but not if it's a few tweaks different from this build.

i drove a motorcycle across the map off-road and on-road (i just went in a straight line) while barely steering. i hit hills, mountains, downhill, uphill, trees, rocks, boulders, cliffs, all kinds of stuff. nothing happened and i just kept going. nothing could eject me from the bike - we were one. it was an extension of my virtual body.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Uh oh, do we have another COD IW release here? Wow I was reading the reviews on steam, lots of hate on this title. I've certainly had enough of the GTA crap.

Looks like I'll be waiting for ME A next month.

WTF is going on here? I thought PC gaming was looking good for 2017. We still got these big AAA titles being complete crap console ports, with no innovation.

Uh oh, do we have another COD IW release here? Wow I was reading the reviews on steam, lots of hate on this title. I've certainly had enough of the GTA crap.

WTF is going on here? I thought PC gaming was looking good for 2017. We still got these big AAA titles being complete crap console ports, with no innovation.

Well, there's an open Beta right now, so I'd try it for yourself before making any conclusions based on our input. There is a lot of fun gameplay here, it just tends to be relegated to co-op. There are a ton of flaws too, but what irritates one person may only be a "meh" for the next guy. Best to make that distinction on your own.

To be fair, its not an issue with the port, but rather Ubi's reliance on the same shitty open world formula coupled with an insipid plot and half baked elements like AI and physics. That's going to be a problem whether you play on console or PC. There are still plenty of other games being released in 2017 that look half interesting.

Can I have some uplay names so I can play with you guys? I hate playing by myself. I feel like this is one of those games where you need to know people to play with...

Can I have some uplay names so I can play with you guys? I hate playing by myself. I feel like this is one of those games where you need to know people to play with...

Same name as I use here, although I'm a late night player (CST) since I'm usually getting home from work about midnight.

i gave it another whirl tonight and it's just not for me. to those that enjoy it, have fun! i can see the appeal but it's not a game i can get into.

Damn I was hoping this game would be semi decent...
I bet Sniper Eliter 4 is better

so what kind of game is this? Farcry MMO?

Almost.

More like Far Cry meets a light dose of Division meets...aww the hell with it, it's Ubisioft Open World #845843765 with a light squad concept.

;)

I really do wish they would delay this game a quarter. That would put it over the top. It's good... there are things to like in it... co-op is where it will shine... but it could be/could have been more than what it is.

I like it and I'll probably end up buying it but I have to STRONGLY recommend everyone try the FREE open beta while it's around if you are even *remotely* curious.

Damn I was hoping this game would be semi decent...

I'd say this game is decent to good. Post release I expect a light shift upwards per usual trends.

I bet Sniper Elite 4 is better

It is. :) At least in some ways.

Last edited:
It is definately more fun in co-op mode. I don't mind the GTA aspects too much, tends to make it fun with friends. All its missing is having your own base to store vehicles. It is going to get old tossing in gps transmitters into resources all the time though, watching the animation every single time.

There are bugs though. Lots of pop in for attackers and cars. Several times I've had the all clear only for Unidad or cartel badguys just spawn right in on top of me. Anyone else had the revive bug where it offers you a chance to revive/spawn on a teammate but it does nothing? My friends and I have had to quit the game and rejoin or recreate a new game to revive.

Well it's basically Ubisoft Open-World Game #2344362 ™

What is weird is that they use a different engine for each series. You'd think with their passion for open world games, they'd develop a kick-ass engine that could encompass all of them. Right now, it seems each studio has their own.

FarCry 4: Dunia Engine 2
AssCreed: AnvilNext
GR Wildlands: AnvilNext
The Division: Snowdrop
WatchDogs: Disrupt

So a lot of the "weird" physics (ballistics, vehicles) of this game might be attributed to the fact they're adding on top of an engine that has been used in games with older firepower and horse+buggy.

Compare that with Rockstar's approach of putting all of their modern titles on RAGE, including Table Tennis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Yeah, this game does feel pretty buggy. I tried some public co-op which was alright...we scouted a whole facility, then went to attack. A guy spawned right next to me as I approached the compound, and then once I went down literally 8 more guys appeared right on top of my body. None of these guys could have been anywhere else prior to the assault, so I guess if you trigger an alarm guys will literally just spawn on top of you. Pretty lazy reinforcement mechanic if intentional.

Also I don't seem to be able to properly quit this game. I press Quit to Desktop, click Yes, and then the game just freezes. I have to Alt-Tab and then get into Task Manager to force it closed. This has happened every time I've played so far.

Game has a little potential but I wish the gunplay was a little more interesting. After playing for an hour or so I feel like I've done most of what there is to do and the rest is just grinding resources for skill upgrades.

Like the detailed graphic settings the game has and the ingame benchmark tool. The report which I found in my games folder is very detailed, wow. Should be the standard for games.
Just had a mission NPC that needed to stay alive walked on a road and got ran over by some random car, mission failed. Good ol Ubisoft. Reminds me of AssCreed games where a target you were tailing would somehow get killed.

Vehicle physics are weird, seems like you can not crash when on a dirt bike?

Game is interesting and I could see the co-op being fun. Not really sold yet though.

What is weird is that they use a different engine for each series. You'd think with their passion for open world games, they'd develop a kick-ass engine that could encompass all of them. Right now, it seems each studio has their own.

FarCry 4: Dunia Engine 2
AssCreed: AnvilNext
GR Wildlands: AnvilNext
The Division: Snowdrop
WatchDogs: Disrupt

So a lot of the "weird" physics (ballistics, vehicles) of this game might be attributed to the fact they're adding on top of an engine that has been used in games with older firepower and horse+buggy.

Compare that with Rockstar's approach of putting all of their modern titles on RAGE, including Table Tennis.

And EA having all their studios move to Dice's Frostbite engine. Financially efficient I imagine, but not always practical. Still if Ubi wants to make open world games "their thing", it might be a good move.

Personally I think open world games have hit their saturation point. Heavily investing in it at this point might be too late. I would not be surprised if the market doesn't shift in the near future. People only enjoy the same thing over and over again for so long. The only reason CoD has lasted so long is it has morphed into a largely adolescent audience, so fans are constantly joining while others are leaving.

Vehicle physics are weird, seems like you can not crash when on a dirt bike?

I've gone off one a few times that seemed normal, and other situations I expected to go for a tumble nothing happened.

Overall I enjoyed my beta time, mostly solo which is where I wish elements from the R6 past would come back. I want to give my squad tactical orders, not group them in a grenade AOE range target. Cant be that hard to keep what they have but add some options to the map to plan way points out and tell each person to proceed to their objectives etc.

I wouldnt mind the AI being a bit better but mostly I want the baddies numbers to scale with additional players or something. And only 4 person coop is so consol'ish :(

I'm torn on getting it, I want something more tactical and fun than Insurgency (fun but retarded AI and some lame bugs) but not so over the top (Arma) I need a month to get into it. They have the arcade parts down decently, the open world is not bad, tactical is very rudimentary (for anyone who wants to use it) and the urban side is lacking. I have had some fun attacking the same cities or outpoints multiple times from multiple angles or in different ways. Solo and with friends (though drunk people don't do stealth very well.)

I may be less jaded than others since I have not really played an Ubi open world game. I tried Far Cry 3 for 15 minutes and really, really hated it wishing refunds were a thing on Steam back then (10 dollar sale).

Still waiting on a GTA V sale to pick it up but without a recent GPU I have been putting that aside for a while.

I loved the menu options for setting up this game, made it very painless and quick to dial in decent settings. Looks pretty good and I'm averaging 45 to 60 FPS.

So, figured out the "revive bug" I mentioned earlier. Like with many things in this game, you have to hold down the enter key to revive on the selected person in your team. Not that you can tell given the colors used, white on white background.

After playing a bit more, this is a pass for me right now. If I had 4 dedicated friends to play it with I *might* consider it for around $30, but otherwise I feel like there are other games that do this concept better (ArmA, Far Cry, etc.). The ease of drop-in/drop-out co-op is nice, but that seems to be most of what the game has going for it.

like this
I hate to say it but I agree.... played some of the Beta and I don't get the same excitement as something with a strong story line.

Seems like a fun game to just drop in to for a casual session but it surprised me with how repetitive the missions are.

like this
This is where I am at as well. The game seems to provide 2-3 hours of interesting gameplay before it becomes rinse and repeat. CO-OP is certainly it's strong point, but there again, it's novelty wears off quickly when there is no compelling goal or depth to the combat system.

They've created a gorgeous world, and the Gunsmith and Menu options are top tier and should be adopted as Industry standards... but there is no depth. The Squad Command system has been "streamlined" to a Preschool level. The resource collecting is interesting for the first few ranks until you realize that's all there is and you're going to be repeating these same menial tasks ad nauseum for the rest of the game. The story I cannot really comment on since we've only had a glimpse of it, but it already feels flat. There is all kinds of potential here, but the game feels like it needs another 6 months of development. It doesn't hold my interest beyond its GTA-esque novelty, it fails to be a Ghost Recon successor, unless you're okay with this watered down, thin coat of Tom Clancy paint they put on it, and the squad AI is nearly throw away. The game feels muddled to me, like it needs more definition, more time to be refined.

They could take this Beta feedback and push the game back to a Holiday release and make this a stand out game, but we all know the chances of that. More than likely Ubi will continue to push this release next month and the beta will end up having a more negative affect on sales than positive. Instead of admitting they pushed a game to market, they'll just decide it's a bad idea to do demos, and bind up reviewers with NDA's in the future. I hate to be this jaded, but how many times has this happened already? It gets discouraging when it comes to a loved IP.

This is where I am at as well. The game seems to provide 2-3 hours of interesting gameplay before it becomes rinse and repeat. CO-OP is certainly it's strong point, but there again, it's novelty wears off quickly when there is no compelling goal or depth to the combat system.

They've created a gorgeous world, and the Gunsmith and Menu options are top tier and should be adopted as Industry standards... but there is no depth. The Squad Command system has been "streamlined" to a Preschool level. The resource collecting is interesting for the first few ranks until you realize that's all there is and you're going to be repeating these same menial tasks ad nauseum for the rest of the game. The story I cannot really comment on since we've only had a glimpse of it, but it already feels flat. There is all kinds of potential here, but the game feels like it needs another 6 months of development. It doesn't hold my interest beyond its GTA-esque novelty, it fails to be a Ghost Recon successor, unless you're okay with this watered down, thin coat of Tom Clancy paint they put on it, and the squad AI is nearly throw away. The game feels muddled to me, like it needs more definition, more time to be refined.

They could take this Beta feedback and push the game back to a Holiday release and make this a stand out game, but we all know the chances of that. More than likely Ubi will continue to push this release next month and the beta will end up having a more negative affect on sales than positive. Instead of admitting they pushed a game to market, they'll just decide it's a bad idea to do demos, and bind up reviewers with NDA's in the future. I hate to be this jaded, but how many times has this happened already? It gets discouraging when it comes to a loved IP.

Agreed.

I desperately wish they would push this game back. If they pushed it back as far as you're suggesting... I only suggested maybe into Q2... damn, it could really be something special.

My group of friends all went into the beta thinking it was going to be kinda meh but we all came out of it waiting until the 7th to drop $60 on it. We had an absolute blast in the 4-player COOP.

Even playing by myself I found the world pretty fun and once you get used to ordering around your squad, they can be really helpful.

We like to say it's a combination of The Division and GTA5 with some Just Cause thrown in for good measure.

I just wish the co-op missions had some sort of depth to them. Why not make them like the Heist's in GTA where every player has a sort of mini mission for the main objective? That would of been cool and it was more what I thought the game was going to be like from all the video's released prior to beta. At the least, have some dedicated Co-Op missions that aren't included in the single player mode.

like this
I ordered the gold edition - loved The Division, even with the bugs. The beta was fun, for me at least. I'm sure I'll get my money's worth out of it. Plus I'll have a decent marksman scope for my long guns now!

I ordered the gold edition - loved The Division, even with the bugs. The beta was fun, for me at least. I'm sure I'll get my money's worth out of it. Plus I'll have a decent marksman scope for my long guns now!

I bought the regular version, I really want more players (8 would be great to start with) but I dont think I'll have more than 2 or three friends with it for a while and I'm sure I'll play it solo. I still have concerns as posted earlier but after a lot of thought and review I had enough fun revisiting missions to do them from different angles, different weapons that after a play through I'll have some residual game play doing that for a while in whatever order I want.

is the beta over?

Some might argue that it has yet to begin ;)

I'm on the "wait and see" list. I want to see if they plan on fixing some of this stuff post launch.

Also, for those wanting it cheap, it's going to be part of the Nvidia game deals, so expect it to be about $30-40 on launch (eBay) and probably $20-25 within the first month.

Some might argue that it has yet to begin ;)

I'm on the "wait and see" list. I want to see if they plan on fixing some of this stuff post launch.

Also, for those wanting it cheap, it's going to be part of the Nvidia game deals, so expect it to be about $30-40 on launch (eBay) and probably $20-25 within the first month.
Be careful for anyone trying to get it cheap w/ Nvidia: they recently changed how the codes are redeemed, so it's done through GeForce Experience (must install on your PC), and it detects what video card you have. Most recently their For Honor / Ghost Recon promotion was locked down to 1070 and 1080 cards. You also need to log into Steam/UPlay within GeForce Experience so you don't even get a code anymore.

You guys playing with a controller? You would think it would be smoother that way?

Be careful for anyone trying to get it cheap w/ Nvidia: they recently changed how the codes are redeemed, so it's done through GeForce Experience (must install on your PC), and it detects what video card you have. Most recently their For Honor / Ghost Recon promotion was locked down to 1070 and 1080 cards. You also need to log into Steam/UPlay within GeForce Experience so you don't even get a code anymore.

wow that's a bummer. thanks for the heads up, i had no idea they changed their code redemption process.

Back