Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

hopefully they optimize the performance for the open beta...they list the GTX 970 as the 'Recommended' GPU but it performed really bad in the closed beta

i couldn't get into this game during the closed beta, but i really want to like this game. i suppose i'll give it another try during the open beta.

Played the open beta, seems like your typical meh Ubi sand box game except with retarded squad AI. Will mess around with it a bit more, but doubt I would buy it for anything more than a $10 bargain bin special.

Last edited:
re-loading for the open beta. want to see what the different environments are like and see if they made any improvements.

Not sure I'm seeing anything appreciably different since closed beta. Performance and load times may be a little bit worse off here but there's a lot to load here.

Maxed out, 1920x1200, Supersampling set to 1.0 (which means nothing extra), using high side of 4/6 gigs of VRAM off my 980Ti according to the game's graphics menu indicator (think GTA 5) and running around at the high 40s in FPSs in worse case demanding scenarios and then usually into the 50s.

As before: Yes, it's largely the Ubisoft formula with the basic squad element, a little of this...a little of that... if you turn the difficulty up this AI can be inconsistent but quite the challenge. Max it out and see.

Good things that can happen, for example, is I was able to find some SUV with a machine gun on top of it and one of my guys took that position and we hauled ass like crazy people into some base, I had pressed the assault key, so we blew in guns blazing and I kept driving around... the vehicle took a lot of damage and we jumped out and cleaned the place out.

Wild stuff can happen when you try do something along these lines with the helicopters as well. For the most part, this is a Far Cry 4 cousin with the light squad element and a few other wrinkles. Some nice depth to various menus and customization of your character and modding weapons, etc.

I'm probably going to end up getting it. It scratches some itches for me.

GMG is throwing around some nice discounts, for one.

Is it easy to play with randoms in this game or do I need to have friends? #foreveralone

Pretty easy or will be when more people are playing it and in the final game. This is where it reminds me of PVE in Division.

<snip>For the most part, this is a Far Cry 4 cousin with the light squad element and a few other wrinkles. Some nice depth to various menus and customization of your character and modding weapons, etc.

Sounds good to me. I love co-op sandboxes. FC3 and to a lesser extent FC4 were great, as is the co-op in titles like Dying Light and Arma III. The Division was more minutiae than I really cared for with the RPG elements and raiding timesink so I never got into it.

You and I always end up liking the same titles (RDR freeroam still some of my most memorable co-op experiences) and I think Wildlands is going to be a good marriage of addictive elements. Got it installed for later, just watching some twitch streams and it looks like a blast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Sounds good to me. I love co-op sandboxes. FC3 and to a lesser extent FC4 were great, as is the co-op in titles like Dying Light and Arma III. The Division was more minutiae than I really cared for with the RPG elements and raiding stuff so I never got into it.

You and I always end up liking the same titles (RDR freeroam still some of my most memorable co-op experiences) and I think Wildlands is going to a good marriage of addictive elements. Got it installed for later, just watching some twitch streams and it looks like a lot of fun.

Based on what you're saying here and what I see as realistic expectations I think you'll like this.

Gave the open beta a spin earlier. Not much has changed. I'll hold off to see if they fix some of the glaring issues. It's a pretty game with a great environment, but it's let down by the inhabitants of that environment.

If they fix:
- Squad AI: Is there a command menu? Like "move there, hold position, cover me, weapons hot" ..? Or just the sync shot? I swear, outside of sync shot, I do all the killing. The warping teammates also shows that they couldn't get the AI smart enough to navigate on their own. It's so annoying to watch them spawn right behind you.

- Vehicles, my god are they atrocious.

- Bullet time: I get the fact that suppressors make your rounds slow (in the game, as a trade-off), but jesus. It seems to take a complete second to travel 300ft.

Effects and various things seem unpolished. Something's they nailed, other things they clearly didn't have time to finish.

Last edited:
Now this is how I imagined this game would play when I saw the first trailer:

Negative.

This is retarded over.

Bad game at your six unzipping it's fly to pitb and your wallet. Over.

Oh and out.

Not sure I'm seeing anything appreciably different since closed beta. Performance and load times may be a little bit worse off here but there's a lot to load here.

Maxed out, 1920x1200, Supersampling set to 1.0 (which means nothing extra), using high side of 4/6 gigs of VRAM off my 980Ti according to the game's graphics menu indicator (think GTA 5) and running around at the high 40s in FPSs in worse case demanding scenarios and then usually into the 50s.

As before: Yes, it's largely the Ubisoft formula with the basic squad element, a little of this...a little of that... if you turn the difficulty up this AI can be inconsistent but quite the challenge. Max it out and see.

Good things that can happen, for example, is I was able to find some SUV with a machine gun on top of it and one of my guys took that position and we hauled ass like crazy people into some base, I had pressed the assault key, so we blew in guns blazing and I kept driving around... the vehicle took a lot of damage and we jumped out and cleaned the place out.

Wild stuff can happen when you try do something along these lines with the helicopters as well. For the most part, this is a Far Cry 4 cousin with the light squad element and a few other wrinkles. Some nice depth to various menus and customization of your character and modding weapons, etc.

GMG is throwing around some nice discounts, for one.

Pretty easy or will be when more people are playing it and in the final game. This is where it reminds me of PVE in Division.

The crystal ball says that low beta participation means that people aren't interested and probably won't buy it because The Division kind of blows right now and they're kind of sore from Ubisoft and that game as it is over.

Too soon for reentry over.

But I might maybe download it to make sure that it's still terrible over.

so i see the open beta is co-op. anything different from the other beta other than that?

I'm actually enjoying it, in fact I spent a couple of hours with it today and pre-ordered. Was on the fence before, but I enjoy the way they model firearms and scopes (mostly) as a gun guy. I figure I'll get my monies worth out of it and then move on, just like with the division. On a mix of ultra/high @ 1440p on my 1080 it runs pretty smoothly. There is some hitching at first but once I've been playing for a bit it goes away and it plays buttery smooth. Had to turn vsync off and frame lock it at 60, vsync was making it act odd and was keeping it below the 60hz of my monitor. Locking it at 60 FPS keeps it at a smooth 60 fps.

I hate to be "that guy" but I played this for like 20 minutes and just uninstalled it. It's... just... bad. The game is clumsy, dull and uninspiring. Sorry.

Edit: I'd like to add that I'm a huge, huge fan of Far Cry 1, 3 and 4 (100+ hours on each) but this isn't even in the same ballpark.

Last edited:
Gave the open beta a spin earlier. Not much has changed.

Quite a few things have. Difficulty is different and better. There is alot of graphic improvements too.. and performance is much better.

Gave the open beta a spin earlier. Not much has changed. I'll hold off to see if they fix some of the glaring issues. It's a pretty game with a great environment, but it's let down by the inhabitants of that environment.

If they fix:
- Squad AI: Is there a command menu? Like "move there, hold position, cover me, weapons hot" ..? Or just the sync shot? I swear, outside of sync shot, I do all the killing. The warping teammates also shows that they couldn't get the AI smart enough to navigate on their own. It's so annoying to watch them spawn right behind you.

Press tab and you can get your squad to follow or attack. Otherwise yes you do all the shooting....

I agree with everything else but it is a load of fun with a group of friends. I got bored by myself.

...it is a load of fun with a group of friends. I got bored by myself.

This. I played with the AI for about 2 hours; it felt like a solo play with companion chatter. That said, I didn't mess with the squad commands because they were not intuitive and I was still learning the basics.

Once I had a couple guys on my friends list join me, the game came alive. There were still a lot of graphical glitches, crashes and typical beta crap, but we could set it to Extreme and get as serious and tactical as we wanted... or set it to Normal and try to run over enemies with tractors. The hit detection could use some work, and the vehicles DEFINITELY need some work, but we had fun playing the game. I don't think it's ready for launch, but if it doesn't get delayed hopefully the betas will at least make for some improvements.

I absolutely love this game!! They've made big improvements to how the game "feels" since the Closed Beta. It's scaling very well in SLI also. I did have 1 crash while flying a helicopter, no idea why.

I was going to join you Frrak but didn't want to just barge my way into your game lol

I jumped into a random group and it was hilarious fun. We had 4 of us in an armored Humvee with a gun on top, smashed our way into a town and just wrecked everything. 1 dude stole the Lamborghini and was driving circles around the town. Absolute insanity.

after playing for a while all i have is a question. wasn't this all a reality two years ago with gta v? this feels like a console game through and through and seems like it would get old quick (just as the stupid insanity of gta v multiplayer did).

that's a pretty good way to put it. looks aboot the same, plays aboot the same, just more "tactical". I didn notice a slight improvement in performance though but I have installed new vid drivers and a new insider preview since the closed beta so idk...

Played for the first time last night. Had a blast, but I think part of that is because I never played an open world game online before, so the whole concept was new to me.
Love that you can get in the trunks of cars and pop up and shoot.
The gun play is very satisfying, especially with the thud the bullets make as they make contact. I feel like a bad ass when I'm playing this. I think it's a buy for me. :)

Downloading the free beta, will probably give it a shot over the weekend.

Oh has anyone else noticed that all vehicles basically have the same amount of traction / driving ability?? It could be seen as a huge problem but I find it hilarious. You can essentially drive up a straight rock wall with a station wagon LOL

When I was in the game with the 4 randos, I was driving everyone in a wagon and went full speed through the woods and up cliff faces. They were all yelling and laughing LOL

like this
Oh has anyone else noticed that all vehicles basically have the same amount of traction / driving ability??

Did the same thing, lol. Took 3 of us up a rock face in a 70's Station Wagon same as I could a modern day Dune Buggy. Flying the plane was hilarious as well. Taking off is easy, landing not so much.

i drove a motorcycle across the map off-road and on-road (i just went in a straight line) while barely steering. i hit hills, mountains, downhill, uphill, trees, rocks, boulders, cliffs, all kinds of stuff. nothing happened and i just kept going. nothing could eject me from the bike - we were one. it was an extension of my virtual body.

In single player i got a guy named Hoyt on my team, guess he recovered from Far Cry 3. On the radio they are talking about Bowman and Mason. Black Op's ?

I hate the actual driving, would like to steer with mouse aka Borderlands, going to try having controller and mouse plugged in.

Played the first mission. Overall impressions are...okay.

Graphically, looks pretty nice. Maxed out at 1440p gives a playable, albeit seemingly a bit stuttery/inconsistent framerate. Especially noticeable while driving.

Speaking of driving...the vehicle physics are laughably arcadey. Kind of to the point of being silly, but I guess it's not a total deal-breaker. Flying a helicopter also felt really weird.

Third-person view/controls seem pretty standard. I wish there was a way to move faster while crouched, it kinda seems like it will throw you into a walk for no apparent reason and you have to sprint a bit to start moving fast again. Not sure what is up with that.

The gameplay itself feels pretty bog-standard. This appears to be another open world game with a huge map and not a whole lot in it. While flying around I saw a lot of roads and just empty land.

This game really seems to be designed for co-op play. Solo was really not that interesting. Your team AI was decent enough but it just doesn't feel as cool.

Overall, probably not good enough to get me to pre-order this but I might pick it up later if I have friends who play it.

like this
I'll second the disappointing framerate. The graphics do look quite good on max but my 6700k + GTX1080 are barely comfortable on very high at 1080p. I actually played it on my PS4 Pro first and the framerate is so shitty I quit after 5 minutes. I usually don't even care if a game is 30fps locked but this game in particular develops some awful input lag when the frames drop. You have a LOT of options to tweak to your liking.

The vehicle physics are arcadey for sure, but they fall in-line with GTA and are fairlyy predictable and accessible I think. Coming from Watch Dogs 2, which was pretty horrible driving, I was really dreading it in this game.

Helicopters are bonkers though, and not really in a fun way.

You do not "stick" to cover with a button press, thank fucking christ. Merely approach it and pull the left trigger to aim out. Two thumbs up from me.

Story is indeed boring and generic as hell.

I'm not a big fan of the bro-mando games like Call of Duty but overall this is pretty solid. With three friends? Yo, Alexa better be ready to order some pizza's, lol. Performance is a real bummer though. That ultimately makes it a wait for me.

You do not "stick" to cover with a button press, thank fucking christ. Merely approach it and pull the left trigger to aim out. Two thumbs up from me.

I love this too.. Just feels natural and works.

I am running a 6600k with 1070 with the Ultra Preset and getting 80-100 FPS @ 1080p most of the time. I turned off a few things like DoF and motion blur but the game runs AMAZING.

Are you running alot of things in the background maybe? Game is very CPU heavy.

I stand corrected. I fired it back up again after doing other tasks on my PC including a reboot and the game ran great. 1080p at Ultra settings ran in the 70's on my 6700k + 1080. My bad :- /

May be because I am running at 1440p and not 1080, but it definitely is dropping into the 40s at times. Again, not unplayable but not as good as I would have hoped.

All settings maxed except Motion Blur and Bloom turned off because fuck that shit.

Back