Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

AI is a gripe I've had for a while now since we've been playing against the same caliber of AI for two decades. It's all about making it look pretty and nothing else.

Yes and no. The problem with "better AI" is a lot of the player base starts complaining. Doesn't mean I agree mind you, but you see it with every game that tests the limits. There is definitely better AI out there, you could see that as early as the original Unreal Tournament. It is just not widely implemented because, in the end, it affects sales. The Division released an enemy AI with it's Survival mode called the "Hunter". It emulates a few human abilities like using med-kits, consumables (mini power-ups) and specialized ammo & grenades (emp, incendiary, etc.). It also shows better use of cover, suppression, flanking and weapon choice for the situation. Over all it has been very well received, but mainly because it was implemented rather sparingly. They only spawn one at a time and only in unique scenarios. Players have called for their mass release in the open world game, but too many of these guys added to the mix would likely turn the tide of player enjoyment.

Wildlands definitely looks like it could use better AI, and I hope it gets it at least for the higher difficulties, but they're probably going to be little more than my backup anyway (unless playing with live players) so I guess I'm not that concerned.

--
would have been nice if I could position squadmates to different locations...would have added a more tactical feel to the gameplay...having 1 command for all of them is silly

I'm going to miss the original's & GRAW's ability to place each squad mate in specific places with specific orders... but this happens to everything as it moves into the console market, so it really doesn't surprise me.

Not the most informative video ever, but I laughed so hard at times I couldn't breathe. It is PC footage from the Beta, with commentary on mouse, UI, fps, etc... but mostly it's just funny as hamster dancing:

Is the character and gun handling incredibly awkward to anyone else? Especially that transition from third to first person? It seems like there's a jarring disconnect between myself and the character and in that regard there's an extreme lack of refinement and polish. Pretty much all the inputs seem rather cumbersome.

Also, the game runs like total shit on a 980ti at high settings (not max) at 1080p. Going to lower things down to medium tomorrow and see if improving the framerate alleviates some of the issues and delve into the game a bit more.

Is the character and gun handling incredibly awkward to anyone else? Especially that transition from third to first person? It seems like there's a jarring disconnect between myself and the character and in that regard there's an extreme lack of refinement and polish. Pretty much all the inputs seem rather cumbersome.

Also, the game runs like total shit on a 980ti at high settings (not max) at 1080p. Going to lower things down to medium tomorrow and see if improving the framerate alleviates some of the issues and delve into the game a bit more.
I'm playing at 1440 and dropped to Medium as soon as I got past the opening helo scene - FPS counter was in the low 40s. So far it's not terrible, but... I've seen better? I'm not impressed with my team's AI let alone the enemy. I'm also at mission 3 where you have to defend the radio transmitter and somehow I'm getting overrun even after I placed cars as roadblocks - there's a limit it seems and the game phased some of the cars I "parked" out. Pop-in is also weird when you drive anything fast, a bit more jarring than GTA4/5 where I noticed it last.

Helo controls are... too simple I want to say? And for all vehicles, the camera is too aggressive in snapping back behind you.

There was an FOV slider in options but I'm not sure what it did, if anything.

As for the first/third person view, it's a bit weird, but I did kind of get used to it? I'm not sure how this could be improved, but I do get the sense that they wanted to make it seamless and somehow it doesn't quite feel right?

I'm playing at 1440 and dropped to Medium as soon as I got past the opening helo scene - FPS counter was in the low 40s. So far it's not terrible, but... I've seen better?

Yes, Hopefully the final product in a month is in better shape then that. Updated GPU drivers might helps us out, too.

I'm not impressed with my team's AI let alone the enemy.

Agreed. It's fairly "average" and inconsistent.

I'm also at mission 3 where you have to defend the radio transmitter and somehow I'm getting overrun even after I placed cars as roadblocks - there's a limit it seems and the game phased some of the cars I "parked" out. Pop-in is also weird when you drive anything fast, a bit more jarring than GTA4/5 where I noticed it last.

Hopefully something that gets improved upon.

Helo controls are... too simple I want to say?

For me, that's good. In some of thes games the helo controls tend to be a nightmare. Vehicle controls are good in this game. Simple and straight forward.

And for all vehicles, the camera is too aggressive in snapping back behind you.

Wouldn't mind some refinement and/or user input on that.

As for the first/third person view, it's a bit weird, but I did kind of get used to it? I'm not sure how this could be improved, but I do get the sense that they wanted to make it seamless and somehow it doesn't quite feel right?

At least you can always press X anytime you want and shift from 1st to 3rd at will.

Ideally, I wish they would push this game's release back a couple of months or so and put it over the top. I like it well enough for what it is but I'm under no illusions about what I'm going to get here unless they dazzle us with some of the "beta-final" patchwork and so forth.

Last edited:
I'm playing at 1440 and dropped to Medium as soon as I got past the opening helo scene - FPS counter was in the low 40s. So far it's not terrible, but... I've seen better? I'm not impressed with my team's AI let alone the enemy. I'm also at mission 3 where you have to defend the radio transmitter and somehow I'm getting overrun even after I placed cars as roadblocks - there's a limit it seems and the game phased some of the cars I "parked" out. Pop-in is also weird when you drive anything fast, a bit more jarring than GTA4/5 where I noticed it last.

Helo controls are... too simple I want to say? And for all vehicles, the camera is too aggressive in snapping back behind you.

what FPS counter are you using?? cant get mine to show up

I use RivaTuner. I'm just comfortable with it.

The only real difficulty I have is with DX12 games (although RivaTuner did just update to include this?)

You're welcome!
I use RivaTuner. I'm just comfortable with it.

The only real difficulty I have is with DX12 games (although RivaTuner did just update to include this?)

You're welcome!
thats what i normally use...maybe i need to update it?? im getting drops for below 30fps sometimes...everything maxed out Vsync off at 3440 x 1440

I know my system is older, but damn, had to turn most everything to low @ 1080. They are going to fix this stuff in less than a month?

This game have the same controls as The Division?
Similar, but not the same. You can definitely see that they started out with the same control set (and graphics, animations, etc.) and then went on divergent paths.

I got you.

Thanks!

You're not alone. Checking the reddit, I've seen more people mention "clunky character controls" as a complaint. Other common complaints are weird (inconsistent) physics, weird vehicle controls, slow ballistics, terrible AI, and arcadish vehicle handling.

The latter is disappointing. It seems that's all Ubisoft knows how to do with their game engine as WatchDogs 1&2 also have arcade vehicles. It doesn't have to be full on race sim, but at least halfway like GTA does would be nice.

Some of the issues (bad performance, inconsistent physics, clunky controls) might be patchable. But I think some of the other design decisions (similar missions, AI, arcade vehicles) may have been made for the sake of development time.

I'll be trying it shortly when it finishes, thanks to Ghostwich

Some of the (fair to say) impressive swath of menu options... I wonder if all of them are working as others have stated. Some of them might help some of these issues to a degree as well if they aren't all working now in the beta.

no prob! I hate not having mine during the "setup" part of a new game. I NEED to have one to be able to dial in settings, then I turn it off.

what kind of FPS are you getting?
been fiddling with this for the last couple hours. its not too bad, looks good but runs like shite on my rig :( 1080p med setting with a bit of custom(added god rays etc) and I can only get 35-40ish fps. if I want 60fps I have to drop to low/med mix. the built in benchmark is pretty useless, only shows the landscape. oh and w10 game mode DOES hurt performance, I lost ~5fps. It also has a very aggressive vsync like other ubi games. you get 30, 45, 60 basically.

here are the setting I'm running with that get me 35-40 in game.
upload_2017-2-4_12-7-2.png
edit: posted wrong pic, this is the right one. took out the useless benchmark comment, I guess its kinda close...

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-4_12-4-31.png
    upload_2017-2-4_12-4-31.png
    199.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Some of the (fair to say) impressive swath of menu options... I wonder if all of them are working as others have stated. Some of them might help some of these issues to a degree as well if they aren't all working now in the beta.

The graphics menu is well done and I'm surprised more don't do it this way. From what I can tell, they prerendered the settings (that's why the image changes between them) for each and then they have the menu swap the image out. It prevents having to have an actual 3d scene setup in the menu and does a decent enough job of showing you what you're changing, minimizing the guesswork.

It was a nice change of pace from a typical port-like settings menu.

MarcoStyle covers the good, bad and ugly:

I agree with most, but not all of his assessment. Still have to wait for the actual release reviews to make any kind of decision. I want the game, but the arcadey, GTA -like facets of the game may deter me.

MarcoStyle covers the good, bad and ugly:

*snip*

I agree with most, but not all of his assessment. Still have to wait for the actual release reviews to make any kind of decision. I want the game, but the arcadey, GTA -like facets of the game may deter me.
The unrealistic parts (I'm pretty sure I drove through trees) and the realistic parts (bullet drop, bullet travel time) mix together in a very strange way. I would say more like Just Cause than GTA.

Wow....so far I really love this game. Slower...stealthier....and the world is beautiful. Pre-ordered the Gold Edition.

I love the small details and depth they put into it. I was AFK and my squad of NPCs started chatting about random stuff. My character is female and when I took a shot one time she yelled "COCK HOLSTER!" lolol!!

Similar, but not the same. You can definitely see that they started out with the same control set (and graphics, animations, etc.) and then went on divergent paths.

My only real complain is that I can't stick to cover like in the Division. Other than that I am having a blast.

No beta key here. No idea why not either. Been having bad luck with invites lately. Must be too cool.

ubi name is tastypuzzy but you know that ghostwich

I'm out of invites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back