Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint

Make the SP mode worth playing this time around. Give me some decent squad AI and commands. And make it first person. Third person is an automatic failure. I realize this won't be a real GR game, but at least learn from the mistakes with Wildlands. Third person shooter = cancer.
I think it is refreshing to finally be doing something other than first person. First person was stale by the late nineties.

I think it is refreshing to finally be doing something other than first person. First person was stale by the late nineties.

1st person is absolutely superior in every way when talking about shooters. Cameras clipping into walls, your character disappearing, camera angle being pushed in to account for clipping or being unable to see what state your weapon is in is an automatic failure. Plus there are no shortage of console port 3rd person shooters out there.

Ironically, back when Ubisoft somewhat cared about PC gaming we received different versions of Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1/2 for PC. We got FPS games that were much more based around squad work where as the consoles got a pure action 3rd person shooter. Sadly developing a version of the game to cater to the PC demographic just isn't something that is done anymore.

I was hoping to see the GRAW 2 PC style of circles along the ground which would show you where your squad members would line up when you ordered them to move somewhere or cover an entrance. Wildlands was sorely missing that, or any semblance of sensible commanding.

1st person is absolutely superior in every way when talking about shooters. Cameras clipping into walls, your character disappearing, camera angle being pushed in to account for clipping or being unable to see what state your weapon is in is an automatic failure. Plus there are no shortage of console port 3rd person shooters out there.

Ironically, back when Ubisoft somewhat cared about PC gaming we received different versions of Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1/2 for PC. We got FPS games that were much more based around squad work where as the consoles got a pure action 3rd person shooter. Sadly developing a version of the game to cater to the PC demographic just isn't something that is done anymore.

I was hoping to see the GRAW 2 PC style of circles along the ground which would show you where your squad members would line up when you ordered them to move somewhere or cover an entrance. Wildlands was sorely missing that, or any semblance of sensible commanding.
I like how you can actually see what is going on around you in third person. Clipping has been a very rare occurrence. With first person your view is so limited. You constantly have to look back and forth to see what is going on around you.

I also like being able to see your character. Not just a pair of hands sticking out in front of you. Maybe this is because isometric views are my favorite and third person is closer to that.

Last edited:
Clipping has been a very rare occurrence.

It occurs in every 3rd person game and was massively problematic in Wildlands. Even the video posted above for this game shows it. I don't care for being able to see over walls either because it is practically cheating, creates line of sight issues, you may think you're aiming at them but a rock may be blocking your weapon because of the angle and your character obscuring the view in front of you.

Obviously it is playable to an extent, but I consider it to be very similar to the original Ghost Recon where all you had was a floating reticle in first person. Out dated and certainly shouldn't be in a game in 2019. It is fine for action adventure games, fighting games or action RPG style games where character conversations play a big deal like Mass Effect. For a game that is about shooting things, it utterly sucks and is outright garbage once you enter a building.

It occurs in every 3rd person game and was massively problematic in Wildlands. Even the video posted above for this game shows it. I don't care for being able to see over walls either because it is practically cheating, creates line of sight issues, you may think you're aiming at them but a rock may be blocking your weapon because of the angle and your character obscuring the view in front of you.

Obviously it is playable to an extent, but I consider it to be very similar to the original Ghost Recon where all you had was a floating reticle in first person. Out dated and certainly shouldn't be in a game in 2019. It is fine for action adventure games, fighting games or action RPG style games where character conversations play a big deal like Mass Effect. For a game that is about shooting things, it utterly sucks and is outright garbage once you enter a building.
Sigh, just how many times do we have to hear the same rant from you? Yes, tps has drawbacks, and we know about them. At this point everyone on this forum knows you hate tps games, so please for the sake of everything that is holy, spare us the same speech in every damn topic, about every damn tps game!
Do you also go into the cinema for every movie you don't want to watch just to scream at people trying to enjoy it?

You absolutely hated wildlands anyway not just the tps aspect of it, did you expect it's sequel to be any different?

I do see some potential concern areas but frankly it's too soon to tell. I'm interested to see some more footage and get more information about actual game details. I hope I get into the beta.

First person was stale by the late nineties.

I whole-heartedly disagree with that opinion. I think this is often a difference in opinion between some who grew up on Console and some that grew up on PC. There is definitely a place for both imo. Third is excellent for cover-based shooters and many RPG's, but for anything fast paced like Rage 2 or Doom, and almost any multiplayer shooter, there is no beating first person. It is a preference for sure, but they each have their applications.

I whole-heartedly disagree with that opinion. I think this is often a difference in opinion between some who grew up on Console and some that grew up on PC. There is definitely a place for both imo. Third is excellent for cover-based shooters and many RPG's, but for anything fast paced like Rage 2 or Doom, and almost any multiplayer shooter, there is no beating first person. It is a preference for sure, but they each have their applications.
I grew up on PC and Wolfenstein 3D.

I grew up on PC and Wolfenstein 3D.

That probably puts us in the same age range, lol. Which is to say, frustrated with our current reflexes. ;)

I don't love or hate either perspective, I just think they both have their own place. Witcher 3 made perfect sense in 3rd person, wouldn't want to play it any other way, but I would hate Battlefield or any other hardcore shooter in 3rd person. To me it would be too clunky and frustratingly slow.

Unless the AI was just too hard to program for the bots in this sequel I liked pressing up on the directional pad and instant drive-by in fictional Bolivia.
In Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 the game is alot more stealthy if they pull that off and making the player feel isolated it could be real good. Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 felt like a Tom Clancy game more then anything with a base carved in a mountain side and stuff the game was pretty easy still haven't finished it.

Sigh, just how many times do we have to hear the same rant from you? Yes, tps has drawbacks, and we know about them. At this point everyone on this forum knows you hate tps games, so please for the sake of everything that is holy, spare us the same speech in every damn topic, about every damn tps game!
Do you also go into the cinema for every movie you don't want to watch just to scream at people trying to enjoy it?

You absolutely hated wildlands anyway not just the tps aspect of it, did you expect it's sequel to be any different?

I'll keep posting my opinions about TPS games and you can keep posting yours. I did hate Wildlands but was hoping for something better in a sequel. If they improved the AI squad commanding, the bugs, spawns and other things I would've been fairly interested. Instead they dropped AI squad commanding completely and added always online DRM. They took a big step back and added an anti consumer feature that will screw over legit buyers of the game. Yeah I'm disappointed. The map design of Wildlands was very nice and I was hoping they'd do the terrian building justice this go around. I suppose if you're into co-op only nothing changes much but for people who wanted it for SP we got screwed over big time.

And there are many cases where the first game was trash and the sequel was good or vice versa. But online only itself is probably a deal breaker for me.

Unless the AI was just too hard to program for the bots in this sequel I liked pressing up on the directional pad and instant drive-by in fictional Bolivia.
In Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 the game is alot more stealthy if they pull that off and making the player feel isolated it could be real good. Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 felt like a Tom Clancy game more then anything with a base carved in a mountain side and stuff the game was pretty easy still haven't finished it.

For me, Tom Clancy games tend to favor more realism over fun. This made the games exceedingly frustrating for me as well as not being very much fun. Wildlands was a nice blend of fun plus it offers a challenge at the higher difficulty levels. To me, the biggest thing the AI squad did was allow you to take sync shots which eliminated a lot of the challenge when you were by yourself, especially early on in the game. I did like the dialog and back and forth between Nomad and his team through the missions and exploration of Bolivia, so I hate to see them go but that may not be a problem depending on how they handle things in the new game.

For me, Tom Clancy games tend to favor more realism over fun. This made the games exceedingly frustrating for me as well as not being very much fun. Wildlands was a nice blend of fun plus it offers a challenge at the higher difficulty levels. To me, the biggest thing the AI squad did was allow you to take sync shots which eliminated a lot of the challenge when you were by yourself, especially early on in the game. I did like the dialog and back and forth between Nomad and his team through the missions and exploration of Bolivia, so I hate to see them go but that may not be a problem depending on how they handle things in the new game.

Tom Clancy games used to be tactical simulations, they have long since abandoned their roots. Far Cry is more realistic then the last few Clancy entries, still they have their moments.

For me Wildlands largest drawback was its structure, the constant ferrying between missions made worse by inept vehicle physics, Eventually it just gave way to grabbing a helo and running between missions, which kind of defeats the open world concept.

Tom Clancy games used to be tactical simulations, they have long since abandoned their roots. Far Cry is more realistic then the last few Clancy entries, still they have their moments.

For me Wildlands largest drawback was its structure, the constant ferrying between missions made worse by inept vehicle physics, Eventually it just gave way to grabbing a helo and running between missions, which kind of defeats the open world concept.

Which is kind of hilarious when you think about it. Although this just another nudge in the game industry as a whole. The diversity in games (at least AAA ones) is shrinking. Now the only notable difference between Ghost Recon and Far Cry is FPS vs TPS with the removal of the squad system. Far Cry ditched the protagonist in the last two titles and went with a silent, customizable character for multiplayer purposes similar to what Wildlands had. And now GR seems to and become closer to what Far Cry is as well, right down to the enemy types. This is most notable with Ubisoft games but the whole industry seems to be less diverse these days, but that is another topic.

Were sync shots a gimmick? Absolutely. But to throw the whole squad system out is disappointing. I wasn't expecting much but I was hoping for a game with a slight military feel to it in which we could use semi complex squad commands. There are a lot of rambo style games out there but so few shooters allow you to use a squad in any meaningful way anymore.

That's why Narco Road, the DLC everyone shat on is the best thing that happened to the game since you play solo in it. You actually have to be tactical, because there are no sync shots and noone to revive you if you fall.

BS. Far Cry under Ubisoft was never realistic. And it's sure as hell not more realistic than Wildlands. unless your only concept of realism is first person view. They added ARPG mechanics in new dawn for crying out loud, how is that realistic?

BTW driving in Wildlands is still far better than your average TPS.

BS. Far Cry under Ubisoft was never realistic. And it's sure as hell not more realistic than Wildlands. unless your only concept of realism is first person view. They added ARPG mechanics in new dawn for crying out loud, how is that realistic?

BTW driving in Wildlands is still far better than your average TPS.

Struck a nerve did I?

Clancy has had no more realism than the average Far Cry game since Ghost Recon 2, its a shell of its former tactical glory since Rainbow Six 2. The only Clancy game with a lick of realism is Siege these days.

Yeah, Dawn is a different beast.

Wildlands is broken AF to boot.

I don't give a crap about TPS v FPS, other than TPS's tend to devolve into cover shooters, I enjoy them both.

Struck a nerve did I?

Clancy has had no more realism than the average Far Cry game since Ghost Recon 2, its a shell of its former tactical glory since Rainbow Six 2. The only Clancy game with a lick of realism is Siege these days.

Yeah, Dawn is a different beast.

Wildlands is broken AF to boot.

I don't give a crap about TPS v FPS, other than TPS's tend to devolve into cover shooters, I enjoy them both.

How is Wildlands broken as fuck? When it launched, this was certainly true. Today? Hardly.

I wish Tom Clancy was still alive he was a good shit they people who covered his books are actually doing a better job then he did. Own like 6 Splinter Cell books I seen a The Division 2 Tom Clancy book but they got rid of them already probably recycled them. I wish we had a book store in town still I feel like I was there only customer at the local book world.

Struck a nerve did I?
You wish.

BS on the internet doesn't make me angry anymore. BTW I noticed your attempt at moving the goalpost, you have to try harder to get one past me. No, it isn't realistic. It is more realistic than far cry and your pigsackpouch tho.
I played the game in august 2017, it wasn't broken even then. It's always funny when people try to masquerade their own dislike of sg. as an objective fault of the product.

I wish Tom Clancy was still alive he was a good shit they people who covered his books are actually doing a better job then he did.

I'm not sure what you meant here. I did notice with some of the latter books that the ghost writing angle picked up a bit until he passed away. Those books were hit and miss. In his prime at least through Sum of All Fears....that stuff was and is untouchable for the most part although to be really fair about it Clancy could get long winded on some of the technical details. A 700 pager would have been better as a 400 ish but I'm nitpicking. I ate Clancy books when they came out. ;)

Greaney was/is arguably the most solid successor and now he's moved on. (I can't recommend his Gray Man series highly enough.) I like some of the newer books for what they are but IMO it's hard to have find anything that touches Clancy in his prime.

Own like 6 Splinter Cell books I seen a The Division 2 Tom Clancy book but they got rid of them already probably recycled them. I wish we had a book store in town still I feel like I was there only customer at the local book world.

Let me help you and some others scratch that itch. ;) Vince Flynn (RIP) followed now by Kyle Mills, Brad Thor, Gregg Hurwitz Orphan X series, Daniel Silva, Ben Coes just for starters.

Your wallet will hate me.

You're welcome. ;)

tomclancy.jpg

The thing I liked about Splinter Cell books was basically the suit he wore like Sam Fisher had candy bars stashed in his suit and he would eat the wrapper to conceal his tracks the wrapper was edible.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
The thing I liked about Splinter Cell books was basically the suit he wore like Sam Fisher had candy bars stashed in his suit and he would eat the wrapper to conceal his tracks the wrapper was edible.

I love Splinter Cell. We're way overdue for another one.

How is Wildlands broken as fuck? When it launched, this was certainly true. Today? Hardly.

Grab helo with twin guns, gg.

Edit; you could be right, i finished it in the first month, but that helo still turn the game into a turkey shoot.

Last edited:
You wish.

BS on the internet doesn't make me angry anymore. BTW I noticed your attempt at moving the goalpost, you have to try harder to get one past me. No, it isn't realistic. It is more realistic than far cry and your pigsackpouch tho.
I played the game in august 2017, it wasn't broken even then. It's always funny when people try to masquerade their own dislike of sg. as an objective fault of the product.

I played, beat and enjoyed wildlands. What goal post? That i admitted dawn was garbage?

It is not realistic. ( i guess if you think back packs and webbing make something realistic)

Last edited:
Grab helo with twin guns, gg.

Edit; you could be right, i finished it in the first month, but that helo still turn the game into a turkey shoot.

The miniguns on the helicopters aren't actually very good. They can barely kill people quickly. Rocket choppers with locking missiles are another story.

The miniguns on the helicopters aren't actually very good. They can barely kill people quickly. Rocket choppers with locking missiles are another story.

When i played they wiped out every mission/base in short order.

When i played they wiped out every mission/base in short order.

I'm not sure but I think they nerfed those into the ground. To a point where they didn't feel very useful. I didn't play for a four months or so and when I picked the game back up again the mini-guns had been buffed, but they still feel somewhat under powered.

I'm not sure but I think they nerfed those into the ground. To a point where they didn't feel very useful. I didn't play for a four months or so and when I picked the game back up again the mini-guns had been buffed, but they still feel somewhat under powered.

Honestly if they did it was for the best.

I like the Clancy games, I just don't think they are realistic except in looks. I would give that they are among the most realistic of the arcade shooters.

Honestly if they did it was for the best.

I like the Clancy games, I just don't think they are realistic except in looks. I would give that they are among the most realistic of the arcade shooters.

They are hardly arcade shooters. It isn't CoD's arcade mode by a long shot. Are they realistic? No. Not entirely. Bullet drop is excessive, balance between weapons is off, mini-guns are too weak, rockets are too weak, etc. I could go on and on. A game needs to strike a balance between realism and fun. Unfortunately, they tend to air towards what they feel will be fun and sacrifice too much realism. Then again, the more realistic games that have existed in the past weren't always or even generally fun.

Your experience was different from mine but often times bugs are not 100% repeatable all the time. I'd glad you enjoyed it but I certainly had issues like team members walking through walls, spawning in front of hostile enemies and helicopters that would flip upside down after I parked, exited and started walking away.

Far Cry was never realistic, but Ghost Recon has severely devolved and is anything but realistic these days. The same can be said for all of the original Tom Clancy games. The simplifying of GR started with the 2nd game which was console exclusive. In Ubisoft's eyes they had to dumb the game down and shift it to third person because apparently they thought gamers were too stupid to differentiate between HRT style tactics (R6) and outdoor military recon tactics (GR). These are roughly the words of Christian Allen, one of the guys who worked on the original GR games and the console versions of GR including GRAW. This would essentially form two different developmental branches of GR for a short while; the original more realistic game on the PC and the console version.

When they did bring back GR to PC they made almost entirely different games with GRAW 1/2 for PC and consoles. PC gamers got a harder, decently realistic "light tactical shooter" where as the console players got a game with smaller and more linear maps, health regeneration, cover mechanics and less emphasis on squad controls. Future Soldier was more in line with the console version of GRAW 1/2, and Wildlands itself an offshoot of FS including the sync shot system. The main difference between FS and Wildlands is the open world and vehicle use.

From the video above, Breakpoint seems closer to Far Cry (3/4/5) than ever before due to lack of a squad system and art style. But that can be said for just about every Ubisoft game. All their shooters have become so similar and they're adding RPG mechanics to everything.

These days the Ubi games all feel like Far Cry (there are a few exceptions given their vast catalog) in broad strokes:

Far Cry (the base model of UBI games)- Mostly realistic weapons modeled after real weapons, customization of character and weapons, open world grind the points concepts, minor skill progression mechanics, little to no 'space age' weapons or technology pretty everything feels like it would or could exist today. Cannot shot through walls, cannot destroy or deform features, AI basically just runs at you shooting.

Tom Clancy - Farcry in TPS mode. Almost complete elimination of any weird or funky weapons that crop up in Far Cry. Completely missing the tactical layer that defined early Clancy titles.

AC - Farcry in TPS with melee and expanded skill tree.

These days the Ubi games all feel like Far Cry (there are a few exceptions given their vast catalog) in broad strokes:

Far Cry (the base model of UBI games)- Mostly realistic weapons modeled after real weapons, customization of character and weapons, open world grind the points concepts, minor skill progression mechanics, little to no 'space age' weapons or technology pretty everything feels like it would or could exist today. Cannot shot through walls, cannot destroy or deform features, AI basically just runs at you shooting.

Tom Clancy - Farcry in TPS mode. Almost complete elimination of any weird or funky weapons that crop up in Far Cry. Completely missing the tactical layer that defined early Clancy titles.

AC - Farcry in TPS with melee and expanded skill tree.

Pretty much, although it was Assassins Creed that really set the trend. Far Cry took inspiration from that with #3. AC is the start of the modern era of Ubisoft. But again everything is blending over closer throughout all their IPs.

Jon Bernthal in a game?! I might play this then, I like him. I miss Shane :(

*Edit, maybe not,

1. if Epic buys it.
2.He's not a playable character.....

Not into playing another bearded meat head again...

Last edited:
Just because it is not mandatory doesn't mean there is no possibility to use tactics. And on the hardest difficulty it becomes a necessity as you cannot go guns blazing, or you won't get very far.

And I prefer the freedom of doing my own thing over the mandatory tactics of TC titles of the past. I don't think elimination of the funky stuff is a bad thing either. And in terms of controls / vehicles / shooting mechanics Wildlands drives circles around Far Cry 3-4-5 and co.

Ubisoft probably knows their PC players are not fans of the Epic store, I mean really who is? There's nothing good about it at this point. They went Epic/U-Play exclusive and avoided Steam because they know they'll probably sell more U-Play copies than Epic copies, they probably think it's a big win for them. But there are still plenty of people I imagine that won't buy a game if it's not on Steam. So, it's lost revenue regardless of how you look at it, some people are stubborn, enjoy the lack of sales from going exclusive.

I'll buy it on the U-Play store. Still riding the "Fuck Epic" train after they tried to inflate their numbers saying "Metro Exodus outsold all other Metro games" - of course it did, it was hyped to death and more people knew about Metro to date than any other period. Steam needs to start advertising their numbers more on games that end up launching on Epic AND Steam and do a little bragging of their own just to put Epic back in it's place. We all know who the king of the hill will be if Steam is involved at all.

Ubisoft probably knows their PC players are not fans of the Epic store, I mean really who is? There's nothing good about it at this point. They went Epic/U-Play exclusive and avoided Steam because they know they'll probably sell more U-Play copies than Epic copies, they probably think it's a big win for them.

Actually that is a brilliant idea. They've likely been thinking of pulling their games from Steam for a while but wanted to figure out how to avoid backlash. Then EGS comes along. Put it on both, people will focus their outrage on EGS and buy it on Uplay at a ratio higher than the past. They likely shifted ~20-30% of their sales to Uplay directly cutting out the middle man and there is little outrage against Ubisoft for it. At this point everyone is using Uplay but there are many people who preferred to buy it on Steam + Uplay. But now they're more pissed at Epic and Ubisoft can side step the backlash. Fairly smart thing to do.

I assume Ubisoft will drop EGS 1-2 years down the road unless they plan on using UE4 for some games. At this point they would've eased the majority of their customers from buying directly from Uplay and there would be little reason to sell on EGS. They're just another middle man that does nothing of use.

Jon Bernthal in a game?! I might play this then, I like him. I miss Shane :(

*Edit, maybe not,

1. if Epic buys it.
2.He's not a playable character.....

Not into playing another bearded meat head again...
Starting with The Division 2, Ubisoft announced that all their games would be released on Uplay and EGS only. Just buy it on Uplay. A Steam purchase required you to launch Uplay first, anyway.

Back