toddler dumped water on my computer. Computer shut off... so what now?

EricFX1984

[H]ard|Gawd
toddler dumped water on my computer. Computer shut off... so what now?

First thing I did was tear everything down and blow dry the board, After that I placed the mainboard in a plastic bag full of quick rice and tied it off

so what should I do from here? and what is likely to be dead?

Best thing is let it dry out completely and then see if it works by starting with as few components as possible and then gradually adding stuff back to make sure everything is okay. Only way to find out it to try it.

a few months ago he knocked my laptop over... the hard drive died. So for the time being I will just install my 64GB SSD in the lappy.

1. toddler answers your question in your sig. "what in the world am I doing here? " Maybe time off from computer and find time for other thing???

2. Anyhow, otherwise the method you describe in your post is one possible way. Forceman has the right idea. Test one by one.

1. toddler answers your question in your sig. "what in the world am I doing here? " Maybe time off from computer and find time for other thing???

2. Anyhow, otherwise the method you describe in your post is one possible way. Forceman has the right idea. Test one by one.

not sure what you are meaning by number one... the computer is under a flight of open stairs (unfinished)

I was doing the dishes when this happened. The toddler asked me for a glass of water, so I gave it to him... little did I know.

Alright, since you ask for more information, this is an alternate but valid explanation.

1. Water dumped on computer. Fact
2. Computer shutoff. Fact.
3. If you hurry and try to fit everything together again, if indeed there is a problem, power trip could happen and blow off other parts (assuming you are typical a consumer with only wall power socket direct connection to equipments and nothing else, maybe your computer parts, or other sensitive equipments could be impacted)
4. Hence, it is wise to take a time off, carefully assess the scenario, give it time to dry off, or find professional advice if you have expensive setup you feel you are a bit attached and cannot simply dispose it just like that.
5. If it is too expensive to repair, after time off for assessment, you can think of other things

Best thing is let it dry out completely and then see if it works by starting with as few components as possible and then gradually adding stuff back to make sure everything is okay. Only way to find out it to try it.

I concur with this

What I'd look into is first, hit up a Radio Shack or the like and buy a can of circuit board cleaner and a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, at least 95% pure.

Disassemble the entire computer, let dry for a couple of days.

Now, you're going to be left with residue from the water evaporating...minerals, etc. Use the contact cleaner and spray all over it. This is what the product is made for....cleaning circuit boards that are dirty, etc. Spray into every slot, wherever.

Then let dry again....should dry within seconds after use, actually. Then, or as an alternative, pour the iso. alcohol over the board.....the iso. alcohol is also inert on circuit boards and has saved more than a few water cooling fanatics from the after effects of leaks. Let dry.....again, should dry within a minute or two of application.

Then, reassemble and test. You may be surprised that it survived. Used the above sequence to salvage a computer that got soaked when a clamp let go on a cpu block and the computer did just what yours did....shut off.

Good luck!

I once lost a motherboard when my methanol based chiller had caused condensation on the back side of the motherboard. Negative temperatures sure are sexy. I guessed I should have used WAY more artist gummy eraser on the back of the board

Last edited:
Back