Today's RAM Compatible With Upcoming A64?

Chaos

n00b
Hello,

I recently just had the RAM in my sig go bad, and now I need to buy some replacement RAM. I was looking towards getting a 512MB stick of Corsair 3200 LL Pro for $209 at NCIX.com (Canadian). My question is, will this RAM work with both my current board (see sig) and AMD's offerings in March/April? I wasn't planning on upgrading until then, and this RAM situation really messes up my budget. Any help you can provide will be helpful. (And yes, I've read both the Hammer and Memory FAQs :))

A64 can run with a few different speeds of RAM (CPU/DRAM ratios), but PC3200 will run it at 200mhz just fine. I've run mine with PC2700,PC3500, and PC4000 without issue.

Thanks for the reply! However, are you refering to the current A64, or the upcoming ones? The ones I'm curious about are the upcoming ones.

Thanks in advance.

There are no plans to introduce a faster memory speed than 200mhz anytime soon. What is upcoming is a Dual Channel version of A64, where the current is single. However it will still run at the same speed stock.

PC3200 will be the standard for quite a while for both platforms i would say. At least till DDR2 goes mainstream and maybe we will get a new standard.

There are no plans to introduce a faster memory speed than 200mhz anytime soon. What is upcoming is a Dual Channel version of A64, where the current is single. However it will still run at the same speed stock.

The FX-51 is dual channel. If they make the cheaper ones dual channel then why would anyone want to buy an FX-51? Just so they can raise the multi?

My thanks to both of you. I will hopefully be ordering my new RAM sometime next week.

Originally posted by burningrave101

If they make the cheaper ones dual channel then why would anyone want to buy an FX-51? Just so they can raise the multi?

I've kinda given up on figuring out why/what AMD is doing these days. Several moves don't make sense to me.

EDIT- I should clarify, this is still "rumor" at the moment. Releasing a lower clock speed than FX in dual channel marketed toward gamers.

Originally posted by CIWS
I've kinda given up on figuring out why/what AMD is doing these days. Several moves don't make sense to me.

EDIT- I should clarify, this is still "rumor" at the moment. Releasing a lower clock speed than FX in dual channel marketed toward gamers.

The A64 3400+ is rumored to be released on January 6th. I wonder if it will feature anything other then just a 200MHz speed increase?

Back