Today Is The Last Day To Upgrade To Windows 10 Free

nope, sorry

my migration path when 7 finally breaks is Linux, if I lose some games so be it

I guess that period is long gone. For what is described above you need to actually upgrade to 10 from within 7, at least initially. Once installed and MS mapped your HW ID, you can install from a blank disc without any key at all.

I would tie that lic to a MS account, if it is retail, so you can reuse the lic on another PC later on. Did that for all my .ehhh like 15 Win7. I have enough 10 lics parked at MS to install it till the year 3075, hehe.

I built a new PC 4 days ago and clean installed Win10 with the latest usb creation tool. Entered an old Win7 pro key from a junked Dell when prompted and boom. Win10 pro with digital entitlement. It still works.

Do the install offline and connect to the net once completed. I am 6 for 6 at home doing this for the past year +. I did the free upgrade on one PC from 7 pro and that is the family comp. The rest were clean installed as described above.

My last install was off one of these. After the Vista->7->8->10 upgrade chain, I wanted to make a new chain. After the $4500 on the motherboard, cpu, hdd and nvme, $199 for Win10 Pro retail was like throwing in extra screws. :p
Windows-10-USB-drive-bootable.jpg

My beef, telemetry aside, is the lack of control over the updates and how they keep on resetting things back to default. We have a W10 box in the office and I have grown to detest that piece of crap which makes more work for me. Would not be so damn bad if it was me making the work for me, but it isn't. It is those damn updates doing it.

No way in hell will I install something that makes more work for me to do. Not going to happen. Not now, not ever.

All that said, I see no benefit to it. Sure there is the arbitrary new hardware loss of support, which on principle is enough to drive me away from it. Other than that, why? All my applications functions under Windows 7.

It keeps trying to install the Creative AE-5 driver from Windows Update which screws up the surround sound and doesn't work with Skype and other programs. I don't have any problems with the December 2017 driver from Creative's website, so I wish it would stop trying to install the February 2017 driver, mind you that the sound card was released to the public in July.

Interesting. I just did a fresh install of WIn10 on a virgin machine with an unused Win 8.0 key I had laying around. Activated and is running like a champ.

I'm confident they are never going to deny anyone Win 10 on an upgrade or using a previous version key. They want everyone on Win 10.

As a few have mentioned, we have been able to do a fresh scratch install of Windows 10 using a Windows 7/8.x key with no problems. The bigger question is, will that still work TOMORROW and beyond? I'll be trying to it hopefully in a day or so to see.

Awesome. I won't have to worry about auto install shit on win7.
Unless Microsoft decides to extend the deadline again, today is the last day to upgrade to Windows 10 for free using the assistive technologies loophole. January 9th Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 8.1, and moving it to "extended support" meaning it will get only security updates for the next 5 years. Essentially, Windows 8.1 is dead.

While I agree from a telemetry standpoint, Windows 10 is pretty terrible. That said, on an Operating System standpoint, I've found Windows 10 quite good. I upgraded my main PC to it the first day of the upgrade to start testing it, then after a bout a month I moved all my machines onto it without a problem. I just wish they'd start doing some sales in the Windows store, I want Forza!

Can we say for certain whether January 16 is the absolute, drop-dead, pinky-swear, final cutoff for the assistive upgrade? No, we can’t. It’s possible that Microsoft really wants users to upgrade to Windows 10 and is using the loophole as an perpetually extensible back door of sorts to allow upgrades. It’s also possible that Microsoft’s moment of mercy will end soon.

After installing Win 10 Pro on my ancient ASUS M2A-MVP, it does NOT like Comodo Internet Security that Win10 made it NOT start up after booting up. Had to uninstall.

That made Win10 NOT boot up normally. Now sfc /scannow it in safe mode.

Thanks Mircosoft!

At the last minute decided to get my old, old 2007 Core Duo E4600 out of the garage, dust it out and fire her up. Since it has what "should be" a legit version of WIndows 7 Ultimate on it, I figured I would update it and then X-fer it to the new build. My wife would totally notice me upgrading my current rig, but a new rig swapped out with the old will go under the laser-eyes and radar.

Really hoping that one of the two reg keys will be valid. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

UPDATE:
Have you guys seen this bloatware free edition? I read that it's pretty darn light:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_10_bloatware_free_edition.html

Thanks! Just burned to DVD in case I needed it.

System Restore (which I never have done it before) saved my neck on my ancient ASUS PC. Now it's bootable.

UPDATE: Comodo refused to upgrade unless I uninstall the old one first even tho I deleted ALL of its files & registry because there's NO uninstall listed in CCleaner at all after the first free Win 10 install. Win10 killed it.

So I just installed bloatware-free Win 10. Works wonderfully!

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Thanks! Just burned to DVD in case I needed it.

System Restore (which I never have done it before) saved my neck on my ancient ASUS PC. Now it's bootable.

No problem (y) Planning to use it for my future mini-ITX build with a Ryzen APU, it's about time to retire my 25w AM1.

No problem (y) Planning to use it for my future mini-ITX build with a Ryzen APU, it's about time to retire my 25w AM1.

Just used that to reinstall with prodkey from failed free Win10 download recently tonight. No BLOATWARE!

( AIDA64 revealed the prodkey before I reinstall - heehee)

Unless Microsoft decides to extend the deadline again, today is the last day to upgrade to Windows 10 for free using the assistive technologies loophole. January 9th Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 8.1, and moving it to "extended support" meaning it will get only security updates for the next 5 years. Essentially, Windows 8.1 is dead.
As dead as windows 7, which started it's fourth year in extended support ? Actually it means it is stable and you can expect it to work the same way tomorrow as it did yesterday, unlike 10.

While I agree from a telemetry standpoint, Windows 10 is pretty terrible. That said, on an Operating System standpoint, I've found Windows 10 quite good. I upgraded my main PC to it the first day of the upgrade to start testing it, then after a bout a month I moved all my machines onto it without a problem. I just wish they'd start doing some sales in the Windows store, I want Forza!
Telemetry is the least of 10's problem it doesn't affect me in daily life, it's just an afterthought in the back of my mind that they're collecting my data. But the rest affects me on an almost daily basis. Unexpected reboots, borked driver updates, settings removed, features re-located or removed. file associations reset.

Telemetry is the least of 10's problem it doesn't affect me in daily life, it's just an afterthought in the back of my mind that they're collecting my data. But the rest affects me on an almost daily basis. Unexpected reboots, borked driver updates, settings removed, features re-located or removed. file associations reset.
This is the core issue right here. The fact that you've lost control of your system with Windows 10 and it can interfere with things that were previously working I'm never going to be able to get used to. I swear, I feel like everyone touting the "it works fine for me, therefore everyone else must an idiot" line is practically saying "I don't use my system for a wide range of uses software-wise, so Windows 10 is just fine." It's almost as bad as the part of the Linux crowd that purposefully denies the issues Linux has and insists it's perfect also. I've never understood why people develop zealotry around an OS.

I scrached off my prudoct key and chainged motherboard for Vista. Until they continue to make shity operating windows i will continue to use windows 7. Also price is to high. Direct X 11 works great but only if game engines are great for dual cores.

Windows 8.1 just lost support actually liked Windows 8.1 I wish Windows 10 would just update once every two years cause the OS is always messing with the Nvidia drivers when Windows CU came out in Spring it was a blurry eyestrain mess for about a month and a half until Nvidia caught up.

I can agree with this, every big update recently has re-set my network and sharing stuff which is a couple minute pain in the ass to put back, but there really hasn't been anything too major for me to complain about, for the most part everything is exactly how and where it was in 7

Our lab system went into a constant reboot cycle after the Fall Creator Update installed. We had to wipe it out and reinstall Windows 10. The intrusive nature of the updates where you get interrupted to reboot in the middle of a project drives me nuts.

My thinking is this. I have over $25,000 worth of applications which all work very well under Windows 7. Why should I risk going to Windows 10? Rhetorical question. There is no reason for me to do so.

At work, we are migrating to Linux. I am taking one department at a time. So far, so good. The previous director was sold on Windows 10, and he no longer has a job due to the myriad of problems they had with it. I have no doubt, eventually, Windows 10 will become stable, but you will always be at risk to get a bad update, where with Windows 7, you could wait and let the bleeding edge nerds sort it out before implementing it.

Even if they get that right, there is the telemetry issue. Someone alluded to Windows 7 also sending telemetry, and that is quite true if you allowed those particular updates to get installed. I have not allowed them. Windows 7 has been around long enough to be have all the other telemetry bits identified and it is quite easy to disable those as well. If you could do that on Windows 10, then it would be more palatable.

There are always options. You just have to decide if you want to exercise them. I do not see Windows 10 as a viable option, especially in business, which allows this idiot to keep his job.

Spend some $$ on enterprise or education edition and disable telemetry. Just saying there's options.

Also not all previous keys will activate Windows 10. For instance an OEM key will not, unless the key was already licensed for 10 and came downgraded with 7. Retail or VL keys will work.

Meh. Win7 x64 pro here. Nothing wrong with it. Runs like a beast. Always used win7 from the beginning. XP/Ubuntu>Longhorn/Vista/Ubuntu>Win7beta>Win7. Install isn't that old though [Original Install Date: 5/13/2017, 7:26:38 PM]

Fuck win10 and ms.

BTW, the only thing actually stopped was the upgrade through windows option. You can still install windows 10 fresh with any win 7+ key. I just did it yesterday on an old laptop I found sitting in a closet yesterday that had win 7 home premium on it. Win 10 has its uses..I have no qualms about installing it on older machines with only home editions installed on it. I see no reason to install it on any machine that has win 7 pro or above though as it is a clear downgrade in features in that situation. That is why my kids laptops have win 10, my wifes machine is win 10 but my desktop/laptop are win 7 ultimate.

If you're still on older OS like Win 7 & 8 because you're worried about Windows 10 telemetry, sorry to burst your bubble. MS has roll-ed out telemetry patches to Win 7 & 8, so it's not just Win 10. If you're so worried about some large corporation gathering data about your computer, you should probably toss your smartphones in the garbage then because they've been gathering your data for a long time. That being said, there is a tool called Spybot Anti-Beacon which you can use for free to block Windows telemetry. There really is no reason not to upgrade to Win 10. I have been on Win 10 since the beginning and it is a great OS full of great features you are missing out on.

• KB971033— Description of the update for Windows Activation Technologies
  • KB2952664 — Compatibility update for keeping Windows up-to-date in Windows 7
  • KB2976978 — Compatibility update for keeping Windows up-to-date in Windows 8.1 and Windows 8
  • KB2990214 — Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows
  • KB3021917 — Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements
  • KB3022345 — Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
  • KB3035583 — Update installs Get Windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1
  • KB3044374 — Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10
  • KB3068708 — Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
  • KB3075249 — Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
  • KB3080149 — Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
  • KB3123862 — Updated capabilities to upgrade Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

I figured they did somehow or another. Honestly anyone feels like knowing all my business just come ask :)

"I don't use my system for a wide range of uses software-wise, so Windows 10 is just fine." It's almost as bad as the part of the Linux crowd that purposefully denies the issues Linux has and insists it's perfect also. I've never understood why people develop zealotry around an OS.

There are plenty of folks that use Windows 10 with a wide range of software and hardware across work and play. We're deploying 10 at work on over 200k machines and could never do so at a major bank if it we as problematic as some say it is, though that's in an enterprise environment with much more control than a typical user.

Of course no one uses everything possible with a modern PC so even within a wide range of use different users can have different experiences. 10 started out on the rough side I think back in 2015 but I think it's quite a bit more solid these days. The update process and telemetry are going to be sore spots for some non-enterprise users and I think Microsoft should have done a better job there. There is better control over updating for Pro users these days and supposedly telemetry info has been trimmed down. I personally use a lot of cloud services from multiple vendors, Amazon, Google, Microsoft, etc. across all my devices. I understand the privacy concerns but the cloud and data sharing and AI driven services aren't going anywhere.

Last edited:
Every one of those updates can be removed and/or blocked from installation on Windows 7 Pro. If you do not remove them, then not only are you dealing with the telemetry data, but you are also losing about 5 to 15 percent of your processing power to them, depending on the hardware configuration.

Oh, and I do not own a smart phone. My flip phone lacks a GPS locator as well. It is pretty darn old.

There is nothing in Windows 10 I am missing out on. I have it in our test labs.

There are plenty of folks that use Windows 10 with a wide range of software and hardware across work and play. We're deploying 10 at work on over 200k machines and could never do so at a major bank if it we as problematic as some say it is, though that's in an enterprise environment with much more control than a typical user.
A banking business sounds like a textbook definition of limited use. I mean what do you need to run on there, office software, custom bank software, internet browsing? It could be good enough for that, because you have far more control over what's being run on your system, as long as updates don't interfere with those core programs, you're good to go. The point is say there's an update that causes you a problem personally (but does not affect the majority of users) and Microsoft never fixes the problem for you afterwards (something I've already experienced). On Windows 7, you simply skip that particular update, the end. On Windows 10, you're fucked. The only control is whether you would like to be fucked now or fucked later.

That's such a huge paradigm shift in how an operating system is run, it kind of astounds me that people don't see a problem with it from a conceptual level and just have blind faith because they personally don't have problems. That's such a narrow way to look at things and to me it says they simply haven't seen the same problems I have, which suggest they don't use their system for as wide a range of things as I do. To get called an idiot over that sends the irony meter through the roof.

Our lab system went into a constant reboot cycle after the Fall Creator Update installed. We had to wipe it out and reinstall Windows 10. The intrusive nature of the updates where you get interrupted to reboot in the middle of a project drives me nuts.

My thinking is this. I have over $25,000 worth of applications which all work very well under Windows 7. Why should I risk going to Windows 10?
If you are a Windows user and are not on Windows 10 at this point, you are an idiot.
I feel like these two posts sum up the intellectual rigor of both sides of this entire discussion.

We have started to deploy Windows 10 LTSB Enterprise to our VDI. There is alot of testing needs to be involved.

Have you guys seen this bloatware free edition? I read that it's pretty darn light:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_10_bloatware_free_edition.html

Thats not bloatware free, its anorexic.

I tried it and there is way to many core components missing(that cant be reinstalled) needed for daily use. Hell i tried to install steam and i got black dos windows everywhere with errors, but they all blew by so fast i couldnt tell what each problem was.

You are better off just downloading a fresh win10 iso, and using the same program the guy used to debloat to make your own iso. Then you can use it on every pc till the next feature update hits.

A banking business sounds like a textbook definition of limited use.

We use countless tools across FOSS and commercial for a wide range of skill sets. One of the biggest tasks in desktop OS migration is testing everything and rectifying any issues.

On Windows 7, you simply skip that particular update, the end. On Windows 10, you're fucked. The only control is whether you would like to be fucked now or fucked later.

It's necessarily that simple. Even with prior versions of Windows there were Service Pack that weren't optional, Windows XP SP2. XP SP2 broke a lot of things but it was hardly viable to skip it.

That's such a huge paradigm shift in how an operating system is run, it kind of astounds me that people don't see a problem with it from a conceptual level and just have blind faith because they personally don't have problems.

It's got nothing to do with faith but an understanding of how modern software works. All non-trivial software has bugs and continuous, iterative development and delivery has become the prevailing practice in software all across the board.

It is my understanding that if anyone had installed windows 10 during the free period and then rolled back they have a digital license for a free win 10 upgrade later on...

I did it a bit differently, I disconnected my HDDs, put in an old HDD and installed Win10 to that, then disconnected that and reconnected my HDDs. But I plan to stay on Win8.1 for the next five years anyway. I don't want forced driver updates, I use the vid drivers I choose and not Microsoft.

Wish you luck heatlessun. The previous director here got fired after a Windows 10 update bricked the CEO's laptop. There were other issues, but that was the straw that broke the camels back.

I am firmly convinced Windows 10 is not ready to deploy in businesses.

Back