Today Is The Last Day To Upgrade To Windows 10 Free

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Unless Microsoft decides to extend the deadline again, today is the last day to upgrade to Windows 10 for free using the assistive technologies loophole. January 9th Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 8.1, and moving it to "extended support" meaning it will get only security updates for the next 5 years. Essentially, Windows 8.1 is dead.

While I agree from a telemetry standpoint, Windows 10 is pretty terrible. That said, on an Operating System standpoint, I've found Windows 10 quite good. I upgraded my main PC to it the first day of the upgrade to start testing it, then after a bout a month I moved all my machines onto it without a problem. I just wish they'd start doing some sales in the Windows store, I want Forza!

Can we say for certain whether January 16 is the absolute, drop-dead, pinky-swear, final cutoff for the assistive upgrade? No, we can’t. It’s possible that Microsoft really wants users to upgrade to Windows 10 and is using the loophole as an perpetually extensible back door of sorts to allow upgrades. It’s also possible that Microsoft’s moment of mercy will end soon.

Nah Madoc, that was not an insult. It was, what I call, an exercise in expressing how a numpty might feel.

I mean, honestly, how could anyone take something like that seriously.

Unless Microsoft decides to extend the deadline again, today is the last day to upgrade to Windows 10 for free using the assistive technologies loophole. January 9th Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 8.1, and moving it to "extended support" meaning it will get only security updates for the next 5 years. Essentially, Windows 8.1 is dead.

While I agree from a telemetry standpoint, Windows 10 is pretty terrible. That said, on an Operating System standpoint, I've found Windows 10 quite good. I upgraded my main PC to it the first day of the upgrade to start testing it, then after a bout a month I moved all my machines onto it without a problem. I just wish they'd start doing some sales in the Windows store, I want Forza!

Can we say for certain whether January 16 is the absolute, drop-dead, pinky-swear, final cutoff for the assistive upgrade? No, we can’t. It’s possible that Microsoft really wants users to upgrade to Windows 10 and is using the loophole as an perpetually extensible back door of sorts to allow upgrades. It’s also possible that Microsoft’s moment of mercy will end soon.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Don't Forget, for those of you who want to stick with your Old Windows, Go to GRC.com, and Download, then Install The "Never 10" utlity so you'll have a choice whether to update to GWX, or as I guess I'll finally have do, go back to Some Flavor of Unix again, and grit my teeth, and learn how to use it better then I did years ago, after a Ma Bell, System V, 4 week Unix Quickie course, made up my mind I hated Unix, and thought I'd never use Unix again!
Guess everything really is "Relative" after all, as they like to say?

It's in Microsoft's own interest to get as many older users over to Windows 10 as possible.
If you have XP, 8.1 or 7, then you are not giving them any current money, if they can get you to go to Windows 10, then they can monetize all the telemetry they can get from you & "suggestions" they shove all over the place.

Most likely they will keep some other way for upgrading (like using your Windows 7 keys etc) open for awhile to come, or go back and forth between being able to do it & not, in order to drive people to do it.

I loved Windows 7.

I also love Windows 10, and while I didnt want to upgrade for a long time, after using it at work on my main machine it was just way easier to move to Windows 10. Overall, I have had less issues with Windows 10 on different hardware and usability right out of the box on fresh installs then I have ever had with Windows 7.

Aside from the quirky menus that they keep changing and still can't figure out where they want to put their settings, I have no major complaints with the operating system.

Everyone complaining about telemetry data, really should be worried about a lot of other things, like:
Cellphone, apps, gps, browsing history, etc.
Toll Passes, collects data on toll usage.
Any in home mic, google, alexa, etc.
Any account login for browsers, like google, firefox, shopping websites.
Steam
Discord
Any social media.

The list goes on, I understand limiting the amount that you expose to meta data and data collection, but just realize that what we are seeing from Windows is such a drop in the bucket, compared to what everyone is giving away on a daily basis.

It is my understanding that if anyone had installed windows 10 during the free period and then rolled back they have a digital license for a free win 10 upgrade later on...

My beef, telemetry aside, is the lack of control over the updates and how they keep on resetting things back to default. We have a W10 box in the office and I have grown to detest that piece of crap which makes more work for me. Would not be so damn bad if it was me making the work for me, but it isn't. It is those damn updates doing it.

No way in hell will I install something that makes more work for me to do. Not going to happen. Not now, not ever.

All that said, I see no benefit to it. Sure there is the arbitrary new hardware loss of support, which on principle is enough to drive me away from it. Other than that, why? All my applications functions under Windows 7.

My beef, telemetry aside, is the lack of control over the updates and how they keep on resetting things back to default.

I can agree with this, every big update recently has re-set my network and sharing stuff which is a couple minute pain in the ass to put back, but there really hasn't been anything too major for me to complain about, for the most part everything is exactly how and where it was in 7

If you are a Windows user and are not on Windows 10 at this point, you are an idiot.

Sounds like some sort of logic experiment that ends with people not running windows.

Bob is not an idiot.
All idiots that run windows < 10 = idiot
Bobs computer is not using windows > 9.999.
There for bobs computers OS ≠ windows.

I haven't posted a just run Linux post for awhile... had to. :)

I loved Windows 7.

I also love Windows 10, and while I didnt want to upgrade for a long time, after using it at work on my main machine it was just way easier to move to Windows 10. Overall, I have had less issues with Windows 10 on different hardware and usability right out of the box on fresh installs then I have ever had with Windows 7.

Aside from the quirky menus that they keep changing and still can't figure out where they want to put their settings, I have no major complaints with the operating system.

Everyone complaining about telemetry data, really should be worried about a lot of other things, like:
Cellphone, apps, gps, browsing history, etc.
Toll Passes, collects data on toll usage.
Any in home mic, google, alexa, etc.
Any account login for browsers, like google, firefox, shopping websites.
Steam
Discord
Any social media.

The list goes on, I understand limiting the amount that you expose to meta data and data collection, but just realize that what we are seeing from Windows is such a drop in the bucket, compared to what everyone is giving away on a daily basis.

Except none of those are an operating system which (for better or worse) is used on most personal and business PCs.

It’s also possible that Microsoft’s moment of mercy will end soon.

Mercy!? Mercy!? Please, please close all the loopholes. I could care less. I'll stick with 7 until I can't. I tried Win 10, and it had a fishy smell to it. You weren't really sure if you could eat it without getting sick.

I don't mind Windows 10 per se, but if they're going to collect that much information with no way to really opt out, it should really be free.

Two questions...
1) Can one claim a key for Win10 and get back to Win7 if needed?
2) Would the new Win10 key/license be tied to a specific computer, or could it be moved+6 later if the computer is replaced?

If the key can be moved, I will probably set up a VM tonight to "upgrade" my Win7 licenses to Win10. At least that way I've got it if needed (and I don't switch to Linux).

Two questions...
1) Can one claim a key for Win10 and get back to Win7 if needed?
2) Would the new Win10 key/license be tied to a specific computer, or could it be moved+6 later if the computer is replaced?

If the key can be moved, I will probably set up a VM tonight to "upgrade" my Win7 licenses to Win10. At least that way I've got it if needed (and I don't switch to Linux).

Win10 license is tied to HW ID, I doubt a VM would work for that matter, simply throw an old HDD... install Win7 --> upgrade and make sure it's genuine Win10 then install original HDD back. That has WAY more chance to work.
I also think you can use your Win7 CDKEY to install win10, that should be even better than an upgrade.

That's my opinion / idea, others will confirm / deny : )

giphy-downsized-large.gif

My rig has many bleeding edge new parts and it euns better on windows 10 for myself. My laptops like 10 but most of my family is on 7.

Win95: meh
Win98SE: great
Win2K: great
WinME: sucked
WinXP: great
WinVI: meh
Win7: great
Win8/8.1: sucked
Win10: great

...in my experience.

I have several PCs laying around...why not?

Downloading/upgrading this on ancient ASUS AM2 mobo with Opteron 1354, 4GB, 2600XT Crossfire (runs on Win 7 Pro SP 1)

If you are a Windows user and are not on Windows 10 at this point, you are an idiot.
Especially since MS finally listened to the users and reinstated group policies, allowed power users to pick and chose which updates they accept in case they cause problems with any existing hardware and programs, and increased older game compatibility with the Creator's update! You're right, they've addressed all the fundamental complaints people had, there's really no reason not to be on 10 anymore.

Never going to happen because their OS is still a huge chunk of their revenue on the OEM side. If you want cheap Win10 keys they're easy to find and buy.

Actually not really true. Go look over MS financial reporting for the last year. Windows OEM is not a big part of their business anymore. It still brings in revenue sure... but that revenue is dwarfed by their AD revenue, which is now by far their single biggest source of revenue and profit. Of course the ad revenue is directly tied to the windows installs... so ya the idea of them giving windows away is pretty logical.

Aw, what a shame..I guess 2 of my computers will be "stuck" on win 7 until I decide I care.

lol, you complain about Win10 but use Win7 ??? How integer is that statement ? it's useless and disqualifies.

Either you cut the Cat5 cable and isolate yourself or must admit there is hardly any way around sharing data, as described in dozens of posts above.

If you hate Win10 for its telemetry, then there should be also enough of that fishy stuff for you in WIn7 and 8, Office, Internet Explorer, etc.. for you to stay away from the Redmond Fish Dish completely.

This is just anither stupid thread about Win7 is a lesser mess than 10. Oh Lord...compile your own Debian and call it a day, if you can. And even then, we will track you, you just cannot escape once you connect.

What a useless discussion

Last edited:
I love windows 7.
Windows 10 sucks. Classic shell and shutup10 make it bearable.
I guess it's worth it for free.........

So does this mean this is the last day to clean install Windows 10 with an 8.1 key?

So does this mean this is the last day to clean install Windows 10 with an 8.1 key?

I guess that period is long gone. For what is described above you need to actually upgrade to 10 from within 7, at least initially. Once installed and MS mapped your HW ID, you can install from a blank disc without any key at all.

I would tie that lic to a MS account, if it is retail, so you can reuse the lic on another PC later on. Did that for all my .ehhh like 15 Win7. I have enough 10 lics parked at MS to install it till the year 3075, hehe.

Back