Today Is The Last Day For $40 Windows 8

Only OS I ever use is Windows and I'm still not biting, not sold on 8... maybe once SP3 is released that makes it look and feel like Win7.5, then maybe ;)

I picked up a whole pile of the upgrades today, maxing out what I can get between home and work.

Remember, this is Win8 PRO Upgrade... the STANDARD version of Win8 for system builders will be around $100. Not Pro. It's more.

This is still a damn good deal, and an even more awesome one when you remember these are actual license keys and not OA3 licenses embedded in your BIOS that cannot be moved.

If you are an enthusiast builder you should be putting a couple of these away tonight while you can.

can someone confirm that you can do a clean install with this

Yes you can. I'm using a clean install from a win8 "upgrade." It says you need a registered copy of Windows to upgrade but that's not true. I threw a win7 pro iso on a hard drive and went to the site and bought the "upgrade" for $39.99. I use this machine for mainly linux, but wanted a cheap copy of windows on for other testing purposes.

I finally bit and the upgrade went without a hitch only took about 30 minutes.

quick (and probably stupid) question, if it hasnt been asked already in this thread:

I see that this is an upgrade, and I DO own a copy of windows 7 pro. But if I were to buy this and burn it to a physical media, would I be able to install straight from a disc from a fresh format? Or would I need to daisy chain 7 -> 8 for a fresh install?

The easiest way is to daisy chain.
So long as you get the key now, everything else can be figured out later.

Picked it up today, figured why the hell not for $40.

After being frustrated by the UI for the first 15 min, I've come to really like it. I'm seeing a nice performance increase and everything runs just a tad smoother than on win 7. Glad I took the plunge.

Picked it up today, figured why the hell not for $40.

After being frustrated by the UI for the first 15 min, I've come to really like it. I'm seeing a nice performance increase and everything runs just a tad smoother than on win 7. Glad I took the plunge.

When you sad "a tad smoother than on win7" are you comparing a fresh install Win8 to your Win7 with years worth of installed software, updates and crap in the startup? Not to discredit Window 8 for the stuff that has improved under the hood (and I'm running it myself right now) but seems like a lot of people are dazzled by what seems like a snappier O/S but just boils down to clean-install snappiness which you get with Windows 7 as well as most of its predecessors.

Something to consider.

Microsoft has now jacked the price to $199 for the upgrade version, though stores here in Australia are still selling it for like $60 but not for long.

I realised I really need it for another computer but unfortunately the prize has gone up where I live. Is it possible to still get it for $40 somehow?
Fast help is appreciated!:)

I realised I really need it for another computer but unfortunately the prize has gone up where I live. Is it possible to still get it for $40 somehow?
Fast help is appreciated!:)

Check Best Buy if you are in America, they may have it for $69 still with the disc.

I'm going to admit it, I have no idea what you are running here. Can anyone tell me? That looks really nice.

I'm using Arch Linux with KDE.

Aah, that's nifty! It's like Parallels for the Mac. Learned something new today! Allow me to reciprocate:

runas [{/profile | /noprofile}] [/env] [{/netonly | /savecred}] [/smartcard] [/showtrustlevels] [/trustlevel] /user:<UserAccountName> "<ProgramName> <PathToProgramFile>"

:D

OK, you just proved my other point, namely that PowerShell is overly verbose and long-winded. With sudo, I just type sudo. With the runas command, you have to type out the entire account name you want to run as.

OK, you just proved my other point, namely that PowerShell is overly verbose and long-winded. With sudo, I just type sudo. With the runas command, you have to type out the entire account name you want to run as.

I thought I read somewhere a couple months back that Powershell scripts can be shortened. I'm not much of a Powershell user, so don't take my word for it. Can Powershell scripts be shortened?

one of the reasons why i ditched windows 7 for macosx is the file system handling. windows 7 was terrible. i oft move/handle directories with a million files in them - and explorer would just crumble under that.

windows 8 handles it like a champ, the task management and fusion of explorer with other applications is 10x better than windows 7.

to the average user, there is probably not much incentive to get used to the new layout and having to install an addon to implement a start menu - but for us power users, 3rd party software to extend the basic os functionality is nothing new.

no body really complains about finder sucking so bad on macosx, they just get pathfinder and carry on.

I don't disagree with ya, PowerShell is long-winded. But it's not really all THAT much harder to use.

For example, if you wanted to run program BoB as user Joe
Linux: sudo -u Joe BoB
Win: runas /user:Joe BoB

The flags use more characters, but are more easily understood by someone who isn't familiar with the command. "Command /?" is used instead of "man Command". It's just all different. Maybe with the next version of PowerShell, MS will default to Administrator if the user flag is not set. It'd be nice!

quick (and probably stupid) question, if it hasnt been asked already in this thread:

I see that this is an upgrade, and I DO own a copy of windows 7 pro. But if I were to buy this and burn it to a physical media, would I be able to install straight from a disc from a fresh format? Or would I need to daisy chain 7 -> 8 for a fresh install?

Its been covered a few times even in this thread... you can do a fresh install from this iso...

I was going to order, then totally forgot until it was too late.. Oh well. :D

Damnit me too! :D

I was really looking forward to more playing around with bugs and performance issues... or using it as a mean practical joke ("hey I 'upgraded' your computer!" hehe!). :(

I can say that you haven't missed much. Today Work finally got in it's Windows 8 Pro Tablets. So finally I have a chance to play around with Windows 8. The first impression I got from this OS is that it's not done. It's half baked. If I had to describe it I would say it's like dealing with two bitchy sisters who menstruate at opposite ends of the month. Once you figure out one sister: Boom! You are sitting next to the other who is talking about something that isn't there.

As a Linux user comparing Windows 8 with Gnome Shell or even Unity is an insult to both. Regardless if you dislike Unity or Gnome-Shell there's unity in how things are executed. The paradigm for where things are and how they operate is generally uniform. In Windows 8 things are just everywhere and segmented haphazardly. You have no idea what sister you are dealing with until you open a program.

The search is broken up in sub sections which makes no sense. It takes some of the administrative elements that have become more obscure in Vista/7 and makes getting to them even worse.

For all of the talk of how Linux makes people learn something new and how that can be a detriment: Windows 8 is beyond every OS out there in terms of breaking what users are comfortable with. For desktop users it doesn't really add anything in terms of productivity, yet adds a completely new shell to learn, while towing along what would normally be familiar amd changing that as well.

Attempt the following: Change the lock screen picture. Use an online guide to show you how. You'll see quickly how irritating it is to have to tab between Metro and the Desktop.

Desktop: Let's see. I hit start, go to settings...
Metro: Start, Settings...
Desktop: Hit Change PC Settings...
Metro: Where the heck is "Change PC Settings"?
Desktop: Oh, it's in the bottom-right, because screw UI uniformity.
Metro: Change PC Settings

Your Alt-Tab keys get one heck of a workout. There is no reason that the start menu replacement needs to take up the whole screen. And if you stick with the Metro UI instead of using the Desktop for anything, heaven help you if you want to play an MP3, talk to someone on IM, and browse the web at the same time.

Metro needs work. I'm amazed it made it past the usability groups.

I figured it out inside of a couple of seconds when I tried for the first time, having read or seen nothing of the UI before. It is plenty intuitive and quite nice looking overall. Also, why would your alt-tab keys be getting a workout? The desktop functions exactly as Windows 7 does.

In Windows 8 things are just everywhere and segmented haphazardly. You have no idea what sister you are dealing with until you open a program.

The search is broken up in sub sections which makes no sense. It takes some of the administrative elements that have become more obscure in Vista/7 and makes getting to them even worse.

For all of the talk of how Linux makes people learn something new and how that can be a detriment: Windows 8 is beyond every OS out there in terms of breaking what users are comfortable with. For desktop users it doesn't really add anything in terms of productivity, yet adds a completely new shell to learn, while towing along what would normally be familiar amd changing that as well.

Wow... what? Desktop apps run in the desktop, and metro apps run on the start screen. I barely even touch Metro for normal usage.

The search is broken into apps and settings, what is confusing about that? It is very easy to use. As far as running programs, I just hit the windows key and start typing as I did in Windows 7.

Windows 8 actually does add some nice stuff for productivity for desktop users, which has been well documented in various reviews. There is barely anything to learn as the desktop functions identically to that of Windows 7. Linux is an entirely different beast, most apps don't run on it, virtually no commercial games that people would want to run work on it, etc. It's a mess.

It is plenty intuitive and quite nice looking overall.

On a tablet, maybe, but my PC is not a tablet. And once you start trying to do something as simple as sorting emails with the native Mail app that becomes painfully evident - instead of one drag&drop motion you're now clicking once to select the email, right clicking, moving mouse to bottom right of screen and selecting move, moving mouse back to list of folders and selecting the destination folder. God help you if you're like me and get about 100 emails a day.

Just one example of the new and improved brain surgery to be found in Window 8 which MS and Neowin kids will say "You'll get used to" and if you spit it out then you're "dumb" and "using it wrong" and "don't like change". Don't even dare attempting to make sense of the disjointed music and video apps that were half assed by the Xbox division.

Wow... what? Desktop apps run in the desktop, and metro apps run on the start screen. I barely even touch Metro for normal usage.

The search is broken into apps and settings, what is confusing about that? It is very easy to use. As far as running programs, I just hit the windows key and start typing as I did in Windows 7.

Windows 8 actually does add some nice stuff for productivity for desktop users, which has been well documented in various reviews. There is barely anything to learn as the desktop functions identically to that of Windows 7. Linux is an entirely different beast, most apps don't run on it, virtually no commercial games that people would want to run work on it, etc. It's a mess.

QFT! I personally find that All versions of windows are quite simple to use once you spend a few minutes with it. Also, I used to enjoy using and messing around with Linux but now I find my time is more valuable to me than before.

Oh well, enjoy whatever you want to use but remember, Linux on the desktop still has a long, long, long way to go and cannot even touch OS X let alone Windows of any version. Linux still looks neat, but I just do not have the time to waste on it anymore.

Linux is an entirely different beast, most apps don't run on it, virtually no commercial games that people would want to run work on it, etc. It's a mess.

Linux allows users to execute programs so yes, it's far too advanced to just run "apps" like some idiot's toy iPhone. Also, I'm pretty sure the Play on Linux people would beg to differ about gaming on the platform since it allows one to run virtually any commercial Windows game.

While I understand you're just bringing up points you think matter to argue in support of your feelings about Windows 8, it'd be nice if you'd insert a little money into the "I've got a clue" machine in before posting about things you don't understand.

On a tablet, maybe, but my PC is not a tablet. And once you start trying to do something as simple as sorting emails with the native Mail app that becomes painfully evident - instead of one drag&drop motion you're now clicking once to select the email, right clicking, moving mouse to bottom right of screen and selecting move, moving mouse back to list of folders and selecting the destination folder. God help you if you're like me and get about 100 emails a day.

Just one example of the new and improved brain surgery to be found in Window 8 which MS and Neowin kids will say "You'll get used to" and if you spit it out then you're "dumb" and "using it wrong" and "don't like change". Don't even dare attempting to make sense of the disjointed music and video apps that were half assed by the Xbox division.

I find Windows 8 to be fine on tablets, desktops, laptops and phones. Do things need improving? Yes! Oh, and since you find the mail app so painful to use, why are you using it then? That is like saying you hate liver but then eat it up every night. :rolleyes:

QFT! I personally find that All versions of windows are quite simple to use once you spend a few minutes with it. Also, I used to enjoy using and messing around with Linux but now I find my time is more valuable to me than before.

Oh well, enjoy whatever you want to use but remember, Linux on the desktop still has a long, long, long way to go and cannot even touch OS X let alone Windows of any version. Linux still looks neat, but I just do not have the time to waste on it anymore.

Cheerleading without pom-poms? Shameful!

Linux allows users to execute programs so yes, it's far too advanced to just run "apps" like some idiot's toy iPhone. Also, I'm pretty sure the Play on Linux people would beg to differ about gaming on the platform since it allows one to run virtually any commercial Windows game.

While I understand you're just bringing up points you think matter to argue in support of your feelings about Windows 8, it'd be nice if you'd insert a little money into the "I've got a clue" machine in before posting about things you don't understand.

Apps is short for "applications", and obviously in reference to desktop programs that run on Windows. Using an emulator/API layer to slowly run Windows games/software on Linux still leaves you at a loss, as well as having to deal with Linux. That entails further training, learning, and administrative costs, not to mention the obscene lack of compatibility with major programs used for productivity. Even for typical jobs, Microsoft Office is a necessity... for my job, things like zbrush, photoshop, and more, Visual Studio, etc. are necessities. Linux is a niche platform with barely any users even in comparison to an already minority platform like OSX for a reason: it is NOT ready for the desktop, and never yet has been. It is not some grand conspiracy or people who need money in the "I've got a clue" machine saying so.

Please have some concept of the market and actual usage of machines for things other than Call of Duty before responding again.

Since I use Windows 8 on a convertible (Lenovo X230T) and desktops, I have had no need to bother with the more tablet-only oriented Windows Mail program. I just use Outlook and web interfaces as I always have :). It does sound like the experience for those who wanted to try that one is poor, however.

Apps is short for "applications", and obviously in reference to desktop programs that run on Windows. Using an emulator/API layer to slowly run Windows games/software on Linux still leaves you at a loss, as well as having to deal with Linux. That entails further training, learning, and administrative costs, not to mention the obscene lack of compatibility with major programs used for productivity. Even for typical jobs, Microsoft Office is a necessity... for my job, things like zbrush, photoshop, and more, Visual Studio, etc. are necessities. Linux is a niche platform with barely any users even in comparison to an already minority platform like OSX for a reason: it is NOT ready for the desktop, and never yet has been. It is not some grand conspiracy or people who need money in the "I've got a clue" machine saying so.

Applying your particular personal situation at work upon everyone else's usage model certainly works great for the entire planet. If you have the slightest exposure to something like Play on Linux, you'd see there isn't a massive performance hit and Linux has the ability to run a host of Linux-only games which means you can run more stuff on it than you can under Windows.

As for other major software applications, there's comparable software available for Linux and most of it can be easily installed via a package manager without any understanding of the underlying OS. Since installing Mint on a laptop, I've never had a reason to dig around inside the internals of the OS. It's no more or less difficult to use than any other OS, though I understand that some people might be afraid of it since it's different.

Please have some concept of the market and actual usage of machines for things other than Call of Duty before responding again.

Don't be silly. You brought up games. I explained an alternative that's not just workable, but decent. Because it doesn't fit into your ideal perspective of computing, you'rr trying to call into question the very thing you made it a point to bring up as some horrible thing that you thought was impossible on another operating system.

I can say that you haven't missed much. Today Work finally got in it's Windows 8 Pro Tablets. So finally I have a chance to play around with Windows 8. The first impression I got from this OS is that it's not done. It's half baked. If I had to describe it I would say it's like dealing with two bitchy sisters who menstruate at opposite ends of the month. Once you figure out one sister: Boom! You are sitting next to the other who is talking about something that isn't there.

As a Linux user comparing Windows 8 with Gnome Shell or even Unity is an insult to both. Regardless if you dislike Unity or Gnome-Shell there's unity in how things are executed. The paradigm for where things are and how they operate is generally uniform. In Windows 8 things are just everywhere and segmented haphazardly. You have no idea what sister you are dealing with until you open a program.

So what kind of Windows 8 tablets did you get at work?

I do understand the idea of combining Files, Settings and Apps results and doing something similar to Windows 7 but search in Windows 8 does a lot more than just return string lists. The sub sectioning makes sense because the search in Windows 8 is driven and extended through Modern UI apps and thus string lists are to limiting. Once a string is input into the search box simply an app to search against and then get the search results from that app without having to launch it first. Select a different app to use the same search criteria against that app. It's actually a pretty powerful and useful search mechanism and for much more than just local file searches.

Out of all of the common complaints about Windows 8, I'd say there's merit to this one but at the same time if one avoiding Metro apps then they really aren't using the new search.

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times : Wine is NOT an emulator and thus doesn't suffer from the performance implications of one.

Compatibility? I can run 16-bit Windows programs on 64-bit GNU/Linux without an emulator (e.g. no DOSBox). Can you do that on your 64-bit Windows 8? I run Windows games under Wine and with PlayOnLinux, it is point and click. I can even run Microsoft Office 2010 (I refuse to use 2013 since it is so god awful ugly) under Wine including Excel PivotTables with ODBC connections. Photoshop also runs under Wine (not that I need it since I have the GIMP). Z Brush? See here.

Visual Studio is irrelevant. Besides the fact that you have to be a chump to pay that much for stuff you can get for cheaper or free elsewhere, why would you run it if you are using GNU/Linux? If you are using GNU/Linux, you would be using GNU/Linux development tools to develop programs for your own platform. If you want to develop cross-platform programs, you use something like QT or Java. If you want an IDE that does all the work for you, there is IDEA (which supports multiple languages and not just Java) which is considerably cheaper than Visual Studio. We also have Eclipse, KDevelop, QT Creator, NetBeans, MonoDevelop, Anjuta and Lazarus. And one can't forget VIM and EMACS. For competent programmers, GNU/Linux is a far superior platform. If you must have Visual Studio, you can always virtualize with KVM or VirtualBox (both free and yes, we had virtualization long before Microsoft decided they would include it in their operating systems).

The "training and learning argument" was nullified by Windows 8. For the average user, who relies on someone else to maintain their computer (IT department, local computer repairman or *shudder* geek squad) there is not much training or learning. A GNU/Linux KDE Desktop resembles traditional versions of Windows far more than Windows 8 does. I speak from actual experience as I took a computer lab in high school and replaced all of the Windows installations with GNU/Linux with KDE; people had no trouble sitting down and getting their work done and it required no additional training (and this was before Ubuntu even existed).

Maybe I want to search both. People complain that GNU/Linux is too complex but at least we have a unified search so that I don't have to memorize three different key combinations for three different types of search. Ubuntu also has the HUD and KDE with 4.10 will be getting Apprunner which does the same thing (puts the menu items of the active program into the global search).

While you may "run virtually any commercial Windows Game", getting a good experience is another thing. Have you actually tried Play on Linux software? While some games may run good, many others run like shit compared to playing the same game on Windows. I'm in no way trying to bash on Linux but come on dude, Play on Linux is hardly a good replacement unless your willing to sacrifice to an extent and that's what a majority of users are not willing to do.

For the life of me I just don't understand why every Windows thread has to turn into a Linux vs Windows thing, each one of them have their strengths and weaknesses. Funny though, if the Windows users went into every Linux thread and started crapping all over the place they would probably get banned and yet it gets tolerated in the Windows threads. :confused:

Then use another email client, there's tons for Windows. Outlook even has decent touch capability on a tablet. I agree that the included Metro email client sucks but I use it for the live tile notifications and it works side by side with Outlook just fine.

While you may "run virtually any commercial Windows Game", getting a good experience is another thing. Have you actually tried Play on Linux software? While some games may run good, many others run like shit compared to playing the same game on Windows. I'm in no way trying to bash on Linux but come on dude, Play on Linux is hardly a good replacement unless your willing to sacrifice to an extent and that's what a majority of users are not willing to do.

For the life of me I just don't understand why every Windows thread has to turn into a Linux vs Windows thing, each one of them have their strengths and weaknesses. Funny though, if the Windows users went into every Linux thread and started crapping all over the place they would probably get banned and yet it gets tolerated in the Windows threads. :confused:

I'm not sure that complaiming about the moderators and forum owners in the forums that they own or moderate would encourage them to feel sympathetic to your plight. Also, if you object to how the forum runs, there's usually an X shaped button at the upper left corner of the web browser that, when clicked, can solve all the problems you run into with other people on the Internet. :)

As for Play on Linux, it works very nicely and I've not personally run into any problems with recent versions of it and WINE about which you speak.

So what kind of Windows 8 tablets did you get at work?

I do understand the idea of combining Files, Settings and Apps results and doing something similar to Windows 7 but search in Windows 8 does a lot more than just return string lists. The sub sectioning makes sense because the search in Windows 8 is driven and extended through Modern UI apps and thus string lists are to limiting. Once a string is input into the search box simply an app to search against and then get the search results from that app without having to launch it first. Select a different app to use the same search criteria against that app. It's actually a pretty powerful and useful search mechanism and for much more than just local file searches.

Out of all of the common complaints about Windows 8, I'd say there's merit to this one but at the same time if one avoiding Metro apps then they really aren't using the new search.

You mean like this?

String lists seem to work fine (and it wastes less screen real estate). Like Windows 8, it is extensible with a plug-in based architecture. I can use it to search files, I can use it to search and pull up open windows, I can use it to search Wikipedia, I can use it to search through my IM contacts, I can use it to search through my e-mail and so on. I can search everything from a single line or I can assign hotkeys to limit my search to specific plugins (such as find a file or find on wikipedia).

Windows users come into the GNU/Linux threads all the time.

If you want an IDE that does all the work for you, there is IDEA (which supports multiple languages and not just Java) which is considerably cheaper than Visual Studio.

There are free versions of Visual Studio.

We also have Eclipse, KDevelop, QT Creator, NetBeans, MonoDevelop, Anjuta and Lazarus. And one can't forget VIM and EMACS. For competent programmers, GNU/Linux is a far superior platform. If you must have Visual Studio, you can always virtualize with KVM or VirtualBox (both free and yes, we had virtualization long before Microsoft decided they would include it in their operating systems).

I think most of the IDEs that you mentioned here also available natively for Windows. And of course if one can also use a VM in Windows for things that aren't native to it as well.

The "training and learning argument" was nullified by Windows 8. For the average user, who relies on someone else to maintain their computer (IT department, local computer repairman or *shudder* geek squad) there is not much training or learning. A GNU/Linux KDE Desktop resembles traditional versions of Windows far more than Windows 8 does.
I speak from actual experience as I took a computer lab in high school and replaced all of the Windows installations with GNU/Linux with KDE; people had no trouble sitting down and getting their work done and it required no additional training (and this was before Ubuntu even existed).

The UI really isn't the issue with migrating from Windows to Linux or using Linux for most. It's applications and hardware support that are at the core of the problem.

Back