Today Is The Last Day For $40 Windows 8

*What is it with Linux proponents and the idea of assuming their personal preferences and usage models apply to everyone else? That seems like a trend in quite a few posts.

Guess I can do it too, eh Skribblekat?

Not all of us do that, unlike some of the Microsoft fanboys in this thread. :rolleyes:

Linux has its strengths with how it deals with drivers and updates however the support for new and modern hardware isn't one of them.

I agree, this has always been the major bane of Linux.
But again, Linux is only limited by the knowledge of the user operating it.

*What is it with Linux proponents and the idea of assuming their personal preferences and usage models apply to everyone else? That seems like a trend in quite a few posts.

Guess I can do it too, eh Skribblekat?

2/10 :p You put too much emotion into it.

The pricing of Visual Studio is similarly outrageous; it may be fine for a corporation but for an individual it is not, especially considering that I just bought IDEA for $50 back in December and that is considerably more sophisticated than Visual Studio.

Windows 8 is new. Come back in a year and tell me how good Windows 8 is at installing drivers automatically for new computers. GNU/Linux is far faster at bundling hardware support with the operating system and when I install GNU/Linux, I always have an up to date kernel with the latest drivers.

But I do use Wine in a production environment. I use Excel under Wine to interface with my company's Windows-based ERP system via ODBC to create reports using PivotTables.

By who? A bunch of novice programmers from Microsoft college who don't even know the difference between the stack and the heap?

Again, actual experience here. It took 5 minutes for people to figure out how to do their work.

Why should unit testing be limited to corporate use?

Visual Studio is a couple hundred bucks at most, any business should be able to afford it unless they're about to go bankrupt. A bedroom hobbyist programming teen doesn't need the extra features, and if they do they can ask dad to buy it for them.

What, the latest drivers for the oldest hardware? Don't make me laugh!

Have fun when Wine decides to screw something up that's critical. Your business, your risk.

UDK and Unity are used for a large number of major commercial titles... that's a cute bullshittery though.

Five whole minutes (gasps). Out of several years of further use! Come on, really....?

Unit testing isn't limited to corporations, but thanks for demonstrating my point for me with that red herring, that you haven't a clue of what you are talking about :D since VS 2012 offers it. On an unrelated note, why are fancy penthouse apartments only for executives?

So is Windows, just as any OS technically is.

SourceForge doesn't seem to have the source code for the Windows kernel posted anyplace. Can you please share the repository in which its located so I can remove a few things I don't need to load in the kernel and recompile as there's module support for the devices in question? Oh wait...

SourceForge doesn't seem to have the source code for the Windows kernel posted anyplace. Can you please share the repository in which its located so I can remove a few things I don't need to load in the kernel and recompile as there's module support for the devices in question? Oh wait...

Why do you need source code for Windows? Go program whatever you want just like Linux, or rewrite parts of it. Hell, hobbyists strip parts out of windows installs with things like WinPE and other install tweakers, if you really "don't need to load" things (a fool's errand that won't enhance anything anyway, but just to play along with your silly scenario).

If you're really that concerned with what windows loads you might want to upgrade your P4.

Why do you need source code for Windows? Go program whatever you want just like Linux, or rewrite parts of it. Hell, hobbyists strip parts out of windows installs with things like WinPE and other install tweakers, if you really "don't need to load" things (a fool's errand that won't enhance anything anyway, but just to play along with your silly scenario).

Sure you deploy a copy without Solitaire installed by default, but the ability to actually modify how the operating system behaves outside of the limits established by Microsoft simply don't exist because of the closed nature. All you get are compilied binaries. We're sort of missing each other in discussion, I think, because you don't know what a loadable kernel module is or how one might, instead of using one, build whatever it does into their own kernel.

Sure you deploy a copy without Solitaire installed by default, but the ability to actually modify how the operating system behaves outside of the limits established by Microsoft simply don't exist because of the closed nature. All you get are compilied binaries. We're sort of missing each other in discussion, I think, because you don't know what a loadable kernel module is or how one might, instead of using one, build whatever it does into their own kernel.

There's not much you technically can't do with Linux or Windows if you put enough work into it, sure. I know what a loadable kernel is, buddy.... there's just no practical desktop need for running a custom one with Windows, and Linux isn't worth running for a desktop.

There's not much you technically can't do with Linux or Windows if you put enough work into it, sure. I know what a loadable kernel is, buddy.... there's just no practical desktop need for running a custom one with Windows, and Linux isn't worth running for a desktop.

No, you really don't understand in the slightest what I'm getting at and it's pretty obvious that you're lost but sticking around to argue just because you don't want to look like you're "losing" a pointless internet argument in a forum full of people who really don't care who says what or why. It shows because...

He can't, his Linux build wouldn't support anything newer! :D

...you're grabbing at things like this in order to divert the discussion away from something technical you know you don't understand. I'm not calling you stupid or anything, but I am trying to explain something in a way that might make sense to the uninitiated. It's okay to not know. Everyone gets to start out not knowing and learn stuff over time. You ought to give this whole Linux thing a try on a spare laptop. Who knows, you might end up compiling your own kernel because someone didn't include support for your DB9 modem. :cool:

So is Windows, just as any OS technically is.

No, no you can't.
Windows is proprietary, and yes, you will eventually hit complete brick walls where you can no longer continue.

Again, you really don't know what you are talking about, nor do you have a clue about how Linux or Windows works.
Also, Windows is limited to x86 processors; not counting Windows RT for ARM, which is really just a watered-down variant of Windows that is even more proprietary.

Linux is not limited to hardware architectures, which makes it great for specialization, and with Java, it's bounds are unlimited.
Windows just can't do what Linux can.

OMFG, you so don't know anything about Linux. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
No need to run it on a desktop? Just stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

Just stick with your pre-loaded Fisher-Price OS, it's about all the more you understand.

...you're grabbing at things like this in order to divert the discussion away from something technical you know you don't understand. I'm not calling you stupid or anything, but I am trying to explain something in a way that might make sense to the uninitiated. It's okay to not know.

Exactly.

Everyone gets to start out not knowing and learn stuff over time. You ought to give this whole Linux thing a try on a spare laptop. Who knows, you might end up compiling your own kernel because someone didn't include support for your DB9 modem. :cool:
And I don't think he knows what "compile" means, just stick to simpler terms like "Solitare" and "Internet Explorer". :D

He can't, his Linux build wouldn't support anything newer! :D

Even though, you know, Linux can support far more than x86, ARM, and Itanium processor architectures.
Can Windows do that? Oh wait, no, no it can't. Proprietary garbage.

How about POWER, PowerPC/Cell, Alpha, MIPS, SPARC, PA-RISC, and more?
Didn't think so.

Tablets are like a baby's toy in the world of technology that we live in.
Why limit yourself to such pathetic platforms?

Even though, you know, Linux can support far more than x86, ARM, and Itanium processor architectures.
Can Windows do that? Oh wait, no, no it can't. Proprietary garbage.

How about POWER, PowerPC/Cell, Alpha, MIPS, SPARC, PA-RISC, and more?
Didn't think so.

You do realize that Windows has supported Alpha, MIPS and PowerPC in the past? Microsoft dropped support for these platforms because the demand wasn't there.

Tablets are like a baby's toy in the world of technology that we live in.
Why limit yourself to such pathetic platforms?

Baby's can now run things Visual Studio or Office on those Fisher-Price OS powered x86 based toys. Some of them can even run desktop versions of Linux either natively or in a VM.

You do realize that Windows has supported Alpha, MIPS and PowerPC in the past? Microsoft dropped support for these platforms because the demand wasn't there.

During the NT 3.1 and 4.0 days, yes it did, and not very well compared to the UNIX OSes of the time.

Baby's can now run things Visual Studio or Office on those Fisher-Price OS powered x86 based toys. Some of them can even run desktop versions of Linux either natively or in a VM.
The poor Linux VM! :(

Exactly.

And I don't think he knows what "compile" means, just stick to simpler terms like "Solitare" and "Internet Explorer". :D

oh, I'm fairly adept at topics such as compiling. and since i don't write cobol, or in some other ancient programming language, i have no use for a serial modem driver.

i use linux daily, and i mean daily. several of my web servers are based on a couple different flavors of linux. but i also use other tools to do my job, and it just so happens that some of my favorite tools run in other operating systems. i'm not going to limit myself because of some fanatical devotion to one OS.

oh, I'm fairly adept at topics such as compiling. and since i don't write cobol, or in some other ancient programming language, i have no use for a serial modem driver.

i use linux daily, and i mean daily. several of my web servers are based on a couple different flavors of linux. but i also use other tools to do my job, and it just so happens that some of my favorite tools run in other operating systems. i'm not going to limit myself because of some fanatical devotion to one OS.

Oh sorry, I was talking about GoldenTiger, not you. ;)
I do the same, and I agree that limiting one's self is silly this day and age.

This is what I don't get about Windows-only users, they don't understand how flawed and limited their OS really is, even with all of the improvements in Windows 8.
In many respects, Windows is just finally catching up to certain functions that GNU/Linux distros and OS X have had deployed for years.

Oh sorry, I was talking about GoldenTiger, not you. ;)
I do the same, and I agree that limiting one's self is silly this day and age.

This is what I don't get about Windows-only users, they don't understand how flawed and limited their OS really is, even with all of the improvements in Windows 8.
In many respects, Windows is just finally catching up to certain functions that GNU/Linux distros and OS X have had deployed for years.

this is exactly why i have multi-boot usb drives when windows h8 gives me barriers...

During the NT 3.1 and 4.0 days, yes it did, and not very well compared to the UNIX OSes of the time.

Windows NT on x86 was did very well against UNIX OSes of the time because of cost. The other platforms tended to be quite a but more expensive.

Why is Office such a big deal? Yeah, its a widely deployed application and tons of people use it, but it's not demanding unless you do something stupid to it with Excel when you should be using at least Access for your millions of lines of whatever.

2yooexd.jpg

I know, right!
Now we just need to get a few more of the Linux group in here, and we can take this thread down, just like the others! mwahahahaha!!!!1 :D

They're probably all busy building serial modem support into their kernels or something. ;)

Yeah, that's why:

Because it did very well against the UNIX OSes of the time. Right. :rolleyes:

x86 owned the server market in the 90's over the other platforms because of cost. Even today who is buying and using anything much other than x86 servers? ARM servers are all the rage now, more people talking about them than Itanium, Alpha, MIPS, SPARC or PowerPC machines.

Why is Office such a big deal? Yeah, its a widely deployed application and tons of people use it, but it's not demanding unless you do something stupid to it with Excel when you should be using at least Access for your millions of lines of whatever.

Who said anything about demanding? I you were talking about tablets being a child's toy. I simply have seen any children's toys running full desktop versions of Office.

They're probably all busy building serial modem support into their kernels or something. ;)

i'd rather be building my dual booting mini itx build and getting that cf antenna i found working properly lol.. or err skyrim

x86 owned the server market in the 90's over the other platforms because of cost. Even today who is buying and using anything much other than x86 servers? ARM servers are all the rage now, more people talking about them than Itanium, Alpha, MIPS, SPARC or PowerPC machines.

I doubt Windows will be running on ARM servers, which have still yet to prove themselves in the market place; hopefully AMD will do well with it.
Yes, x86 is dominant, but why limit oneself to a single architecture and OS?

As for POWER and PowerPC, there are quite a few servers using them, not to mention SPARC, all three architectures which are still very relevant in the high-end server market, of which x86 is practically non-existent.
For serious CPU-only processing power, one would not even think to touch an x86 architecture.

But whatever, if it isn't on a tablet, I guess it means nothing to you. :rolleyes:

Who said anything about demanding? I you were talking about tablets being a child's toy. I simply have seen any children's toys running full desktop versions of Office.

It's not significant since pretty much anything, even a 800 MHz VIA-based thin client laptop with Vista stuffed down it's throat sideways, can run it. Why even mention it as if it matters to someone?

Visual Studio...pretty much the same thing. Insignificant...doesn't matter...runs on bajillion years old underpowered computers.

lol, we know.
Tablets, aka "toys" are all that you apparently use.

You should replace that desktop in your sig with most of your tablets.
Of which, why are you still running Win 7 on your desktop?

Why not switch to Windows 8, considering it's all that you talk about, that is, when you aren't talking about tablets? :D

Back