Tobii Showing Off VR With Eye Tracking

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
At CES, The Tech Report got a private demo of a prototype Vive headset with Tobii eye tracking baked in. The demo starts with an accurate setting of interpupillary distance, which with today's headsets is a bit of guesswork. After that came several demos, including robots that could tell when you made eye contact with them, and a couple games where the writer notes a substantial difference in accuracy and intuitiveness.

This looks incredible to me. higher resolution displays, wider FOV, and eye tracking seem to be the future for VR. I personally can't wait for the tech to keep maturing, but it seems we're hearing less and less about VR recently, and I hope that doesn't mean the market is dying.

All told, Tobii's demos proved incredibly compelling, and I was elated to finally experience the technology in action after hearing so much about it. The problem is that getting eye-tracking-equipped headsets onto the heads of VR pioneers is going to require all-new hardware—the company says its sensors require a companion ASIC to process and communicate the eye-tracking data to the host system, and it can't simply be retrofitted to existing HMDs.

Devs are going to lean hard on this to make unstable games run better, due to the rendering saved outside of your direct view, however it's going to be a mixed bag.

This does sounds really cool. HTC had some big announcements and thought I saw some patents (???) coming from FaceBook for VR the other day. I really want to enter the VR world but f-me, I'm married with children and have too many other priorities right now :) . Oh well, first time in a long while I wasn't an early adopter. So, in theory, by the time I do enter I should have a better experience all around.

i think the problem is that the majority of people expect vr to be good and cheap. right now you can have one or the other not both. It just like any technology its going to be expensive at first to produce and develop but after time it will get cheaper. they produced all these cheap "vr ready" headsets and when people with not even a gtx 1060 try to run a vr program and they have a terrible experience they blame vr and dismiss it completely. a lot of companies are trying to make a quick buck even if it means burying a pretty ground breaking technology if it has time to grow properly

Back