To wait nor not...

liveload

Limp Gawd
Having trouble deciding what to do!

Building a new C2D system and I already have the RAM enroute. Link to RAM

What I can't finalize is the CPU+MB decision. I have narrowed the choices down a bit, but am not opposed to well thought out option C's, either.
;)

A. Purchase Asus P5B vanilla and an E6300 on this Friday, the 5th.

B. Purchase Asus P5B vanilla or possibly Deluxe on Friday. Then 2 weeks later an E6600.

Gahh. A bit of a price difference there, but also a bit of a performance difference. Would I be better off gaming on an E6300 and waiting till early summer for something equal to or better than an E6600? Should I do it now and get the E6600? I am coming from the system in my sig. :D

i would hold off on the cpu and get a e-4300 in a couple weeks . then pick up the mb --a 965p or a 650i should work well.

If you are going to overclock it I suggest e6400 or better the higher mulitplier will let you reach the cpu's max performance without requiring the very high FSB speed that some motherboards have difficulity reaching. It will also allow tighter memory timings and less stress on the system as a whole.

for example
e6300 mulit = 7 to reach 3 GHz you need FSB of 428MHz
(note this will put your ram in overclock mode and you might have to loosen timings, I doubt it, but the main point is valid)
e6400 multi = 8 to reach 3 GHz you need FSB of 375MHz
This would allow you to run the ram well within specs and maybe even
tighter or with less voltage, ensuring reliability and no problems.)

you might want to look for people with that mother board and see what the FSB is topping out at before you buy the cpu.

In summary, anything but the low mulitplier 6300 would be my advice if you intend to overclock, the higher mulitplier just makes it soo soo much easier.

E4300? Not sure I've heard of it yet. I'll try and find some info about it. If you have some links handy, I'd appreciate that, too.

Any initial overclocking will be with the stock HSF. I'm thinking that 2.4-2.8 maybe possible on stock HSF with an E6300. Am I correct in that conclusion? By what I've read, that range on an E6300 should give me a huge boost over my current setup (in sig). Give that 8800 something to do. Hehe

liveload said:
E4300? Not sure I've heard of it yet. I'll try and find some info about it. If you have some links handy, I'd appreciate that, too.

i'm thinking typo... I haven't heard anything about it either

Here's some info on the E4x00 series:

Dailytech said:
Launching next January will be the Core 2 Duo E4300—the first of the Core 2 Duo 4000 series. The Core 2 Duo E4300 will be clocked at 1.80 GHz and feature an 800 MHz front-side bus with 2MB of L2 cache. Core 2 Duo E4300 will not support vPro and VT technologies. Intel is expected to launch an E4200 model clocked at 1.60 GHz as well. Also mention in the roadmap is a Core 2 Duo E4400, though it doesn’t list the clock speed anywhere.

That info is a little old though, as the 4200 has already been scrapped. New details are in the second link.

Links:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4965
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5414

Get an Asus P5B-E and an e6400, however you have to do it.

I think the e6600 isn't really worth the extra money. Thats coming from me as an e6600 owner.

e6300's are too hard to get a high overclock out of b/c of the lower multiplier
and P5B vanilla's aren't that great of overclockers either.

The P5B-E and DS3's have been proven to be top notch overclockers at a good price. The P5B Deluxe is nice, but I don't think its worth the extra money.

I have been giving the P5B-E some serious thought, however, I am not sure that it will be any more capable than a P5B vanilla with the latest bios (8xx or something). I found a long thread in the xtremesystems forums that dealt with the P5B vanilla and found one for the P5B-E as well, albeit not as long. While I have read through the vanilla thread, the 5-E thread is still waiting for me. :D

Link to last pg of Vanilla thread

One of the P5B-E threads

What I know so far is that the difference is the ICH8 vs the ICH8-R on the 5-E. I am not planning on running RAID, at most I'll give my current HDD to the GF so she can move away from PATA, and grab a 7200.10 while they're hot.

That having been said, are the voltages still going to fluctuate the same between the two boards? If one is significantly better than the other with regards to steady voltage drops, then the choice is obvious, but I am not possessed of all the facts just yet, so I can't say.

Edit: Thanks a bunch for the Intel roadmap! The E6320 & E6420 with 4MB L2 looks to be very interesting. The pricepoints place them right where the current models are. I wonder if the extra L2 cache will affect the amount of overhead compared to their 2MB predecessors. I wonder if Q2 means March-May/June or what.

The P5B-E has a redesigned PCB (design for higher clocks) and the C2 stepping of the 965 northbridge.

The P5B vanilla might have the C2 northbridge if its a recent board.

The P5B-E is supposed to have a higher range of voltages available, but I have no first hand exeperience on either. Asus might have added more options to the vanilla since I last read up on the 2.

Side note: I've never had a single problem with my DS3. So I give props to it. If you look at the overclocking database there are more DS3 than anything else by far: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030419217&postcount=1

Ohh boy, the plot thickens. I've almost decided that Asus is the path I will take, due to my excellent experience with the Socket A board that I have (still chugging away, too). It's rock solid, has been since 2001. While I have nothing against the gigabyte nor have I ruled it out altogether, I am leaning Asus atm.

Now I see a glowing review of the P5N-E SLI, which incidentally is listed as supporting the 1333 FSB, something the P5B's don't seem to do. Not even an issue now, but come the latter half of this year that'll change. Not a decisive factor.

While SLI isn't at the top of my list of requirements, having the option is nice. You never know, I might just find myself looking at a deal on an 8800GTS I simply can't refuse at some point down the line. Again, not a decisive factor.

Pricepoint places it smack dab in the range I want to spend for a mobo. [H] got good results with it oc'ing so that's encouraging. I wonder how it stacks up vs an updated P5B vanilla or even a P5B-E (despite the price difference), all other things being equal.

Just when you think you know something, events transpire that disabuse you of that notion. Good ole' Murphy
lol

Back