To upgrade or not to upgrade?

• Thread starter Deleted member 189430
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 189430

I have one EVGA GTX 480 SC card in a x58 system. I see the EVGA GTX 670 FTW on sale on newegg for $420. Would I see an increase in performance even though my mobo doesn't have 3.0 pci? It is very tempting!

A 480 can easily reach 580 levels and the 670 is roughly about 10~20% faster than that, with both overclocked. Current generation cards have yet to utilize all pcie 2.0 bandwidth let alone 3.0, so you can take that off your chest.

In terms of performance I'd get another 480 since they're so cheap now, but along with that comes power draw, heat, and noise.

Not sure how "easy" it would be to get 580 level performance from a 480 but PCIe 2 won't be an issue with a single 670. The rest of your system specs may or may not be a bottleneck.

overall a stock gtx670 will be around 30-35% faster than your slightly oced gtx480. it will use about 75-100 watts less in demanding games though.

The rest of my system is as follows:

i7 970 @ stock
12 gigs Dominator 2000 DDR3
EVGA Classified E760

I had another 480 in sli but those temps and having the rest of the neighborhood go dark was a concern. :D I always looked in my pc expecting to see one burst into flames when they were running at 103C in some games and I had to go down to one monitor as I really didn't like the 76C idle from one card and the 60C idle out the other one in that setup. I was just thinking that if there is a significant performance increase and the subsequent power/heat decrease benefits, I would pull the trigger and get a new card. Thanks for the replies!

Yes the 670 will be significantly better. Wouldn't hurt to OC the CPU some though.

I did the same upgrade recently, and while I only tested out 3 games, my performance went up anywhere from 20-30%. This was with my 480 overclocked to 850 as well (so around stock 580 performance).

Back