To those wondering about Vista 8800gtx SLI performance with an nforce4 / socket 939

RyanLucier

Gawd
Well, i decided to pick up a copy of vista since sooner or later I knew i'd need it, so might as well get it now. Needless to say, I already have XP installed again...

Counter-strike source on XP ran 100fps constant @ 2560x1600 w/ 16xQ FSAA and 16x AF and maximum details. In Vista? 1fps. Thats right, 1. If i lowered the anti-aliasing to 4x FSAA I could manage 25-30fps. If i turned FSAA off, it averaged around 80fps. If I turned SLI off, then performance was about 20% slower than a single 8800gtx in XP. So for non-sli, things aren't "too bad" but SLI right now pretty much is not supported.

Looks like nvidia has a long road ahead of them, as this performance was mimicked in many other games. World of Warcraft the burning crusade ran "tolerably" at 2560x1600 w/ 4x FSAA, but there were numerous slowdowns and stutters, it wasn't an even remotely fluid 60fps.

I think a lot of these vista benchmarks floating around on the net are quite misleading because they're all at 1600x1200 or lower. I haven't seen too many 2560x1600 benchmarks out there, and there's probably a good reason why, they run like complete garbage.

Yeah I played with vista a few days ago. It looks and feels good, but weird quirks. I went to change the res to 1280 x1024 or something in BF2 and it crashed the game. It would only work in 1024x768.

I will stick with XP, since there are no DX 10 games anywayz.....

oh crashes galore, i didn't even mention that. Changing resolution or FSAA etc. in Counter-strike source resulted in a crash every time, without fail.

Back