To those who have a 144Hz monitor

nob0dey

Limp Gawd
Don't know if this has been mentioned but I thought I liked to share. So I bought a new 290x and we all know heat output is an issue with these guys. When I looked at my Overdrive tab I saw my idle temp was always at 74-78 degrees. Kind of scray if you ask me :(. The GPU core clocked down to 300Mhz but the memory was always at 1250Mhz.

I was google'ing and saw that having a refresh rate of 144Hz will always run the memory at full speed. When I knocked it down to 120Hz, the memory speed went down to 150Mhz and now my idle temp is at ~52 degrees. Don't know if this may be tweaked in a future driver updates but it looks like it has affect on on the green and red team cards.

Most everyone I know that has a 144Hz monitor still runs it at 120Hz along with light boost. As it is faster with light boost then 144Hz is standard by itself. Those temperatures are indeed scary. How loud is that card when it starts to really crank up?

The card isn't loud at all but that was never the problem. I know it ramps up around 95 degrees but I have it under quiet mode so it doesn't go above 40%. As soon as I get the rest of my hardware, I'll be putting these under water so sound would no longer be an issue. :D

I don't have that issue in 144Hz or 120Hz in idle with the cards in my sig.
Mine is at 120Hz atm. I do put it on 144hz for fps games. I don't use lightboost.

Back