To this day, does the Dreamcast still have the best launch lineup ever?

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
At least concerning a U.S launch?

AeroWings
AirForce Delta
Blue Stinger
CART Flag to Flag
Expendable
The House of the Dead 2
Hydro Thunder
Monaco Grand Prix
Mortal Kombat Gold
NFL 2K
NFL Blitz 2000
Pen Pen TriIcelon
Power Stone
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Sonic Adventure
Soulcalibur
TNN Motorsports Hardcore Heat
Tokyo Xtreme Racer
TrickStyle

I think so. Even right out of the gate it had a number of very good titles. It's such a shame the DC ended up failing at the end :(

NES all the way or SNES then the Genesis

Or if you had a couple of the early PCs
PC did it first
I didn't own a PC untill 1996

The Arcade basically had the best lineup of all games out there....
more inovation and fun than a NES could even make.

Hmm thats a tough one but from a nostalgic perspective I have to agree I remember buying my Dreamcast and immediately having Sonic Adventure and Bluestinger specifically to play, nothing interested me until later. Sonic Adventures big flaw was that a few of the maps had specific spots of bad design you'd get horked up on. Then it was largely ignored even though it was one of the largest platformers of it's time. Everyone wanted a direct formulaic sequel but Adventure was trying t o do it's own thing and got over looked. I actually beat all 6 or so stories and had a blast as well the creature farming game it had. BlueStinger was more of a lighthearted Resident Evil game, I liked it a lot. Then I learned about Power Stone and Tokyo Extreme racer later.

Yeah looking at the lists Dreamcast is the only system I got at launch that felt out of the box fun. I think Nintendo Switch has probably the worst launch ever, looks like one 1 original title?

NES all the way or SNES then the Genesis

Or if you had a couple of the early PCs
PC did it first
I didn't own a PC untill 1996

The Arcade basically had the best lineup of all games out there....
more inovation and fun than a NES could even make.
The NES lineup was strong but I think the US Dreamcast was better. SNES lineup was not that great, only like 5 games.

For those who want to check themself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games

Yeah the Dreamcast might have had the best launch lineup. The original Xbox launch was pretty good too. Halo, Dead or Alive 3, Project Gotham Racing, and Fuzion Frenzy were great.
The Dreamcast had tons of good games in it's short lifespan.

September 9th, 1999. 9/9/99. Still rock the t-shirt that I got from my Electronics Boutique pre-order...

Those were the days.

For me it was probably the PS2, specifically the North American release: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games#Sony_PlayStation_2
The original Playstation launch lineup was also nothing to sneeze at, too.
The Super NES had a "meh" launch day lineup, but it got really good really quickly. There's something to be said for that, too. I can deal with a small launch lineup if there are a dozen big releases coming soon afterward.

Hmm thats a tough one but from a nostalgic perspective I have to agree I remember buying my Dreamcast and immediately having Sonic Adventure and Bluestinger specifically to play, nothing interested me until later. Sonic Adventures big flaw was that a few of the maps had specific spots of bad design you'd get horked up on. Then it was largely ignored even though it was one of the largest platformers of it's time. Everyone wanted a direct formulaic sequel but Adventure was trying t o do it's own thing and got over looked. I actually beat all 6 or so stories and had a blast as well the creature farming game it had. BlueStinger was more of a lighthearted Resident Evil game, I liked it a lot. Then I learned about Power Stone and Tokyo Extreme racer later.

Yeah looking at the lists Dreamcast is the only system I got at launch that felt out of the box fun. I think Nintendo Switch has probably the worst launch ever, looks like one 1 original title?

Yeah, Switch has 1 original title but on Metacritic it is the fourth best reviewed game of all time. That is one hell of a start for the system. I am optimistic about thw Switch, but I always buy the Nintendo consoles on generation behind when the previous gen is cheap. Just ordered a Nintendo Refurbished Wii U Deluxe with Nintendo Land directly from Nintendo's eBay store. And, from everything I have seen the Wii U and Switch version of the new Zelda Breath of the Wild perform and look exactly the same. So i'm going to be super happy with a Wii U now, not to mention all the other games I missed out on like Zelda Twilight Princess HD, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World... along with others.

As far as launch lineup, I would agree the Dreamcast had the best by-far. I mean, Power Stone. Need I say more? Not to mention that I am not a big sport game fan at all, but the NFL 2K games were the last ones I bought. There was just something about them that was just fantastic. Hydro Thunder was awesome as well.

Last edited:
Blitz, Sonic, and Mortal Kombat are the only titles I recognize in that list though I would hard pressed to jinn up any specific talking points on the Dreamcast versions. Totes best line up never heard.

Yeah, Switch has 1 original title but on Metacritic it is the fourth best reviewed game of all time. That is one hell of a start for the system. I am optimistic about thw Switch, but I always buy the Nintendo consoles on generation behind when the previous gen is cheap. Just ordered a Nintendo Refurbished Wii U Deluxe with Nintendo Land directly from Nintendo's eBay store. And, from everything I have seen the Wii U and Switch version of the new Zelda Breath of the Wild perform and look exactly the same. So i'm going to be super happy with a Wii U now, not to mention all the other games I missed out on like Zelda Twilight Princess HD, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World... along with others.

As far as launch lineup, I would agree the Dreamcast had the best by-far. I mean, Power Stone. Need I say more? Not to mention that I am not a big sport game fan at all, but the NFL 2K games were the last ones I bought. There was just something about them that was just fantastic. Hydro Thunder was awesome as well.

That'd just be tough to talk me into. $400 for the ability to play one game that as you said you can just play on your Wii U. Then again I did get drunk and buy a Xbox One just to play Dead Rising 3, then I immediately sold it after I beat that.

That'd just be tough to talk me into. $400 for the ability to play one game that as you said you can just play on your Wii U. Then again I did get drunk and buy a Xbox One just to play Dead Rising 3, then I immediately sold it after I beat that.

The library will grow, but I always suffer with Nintendo consoles. Bought the Wii for like 1 game when it launched and then it collected dust for 6 months before I sold it. Bought the Wii U when it launched for one game and then collected dust for 6 months until I sold it. Now that the Wii U has so many incredible games out to enjoy and the Switch release lowering resale values of the Wii U it's a no-brainer to get a Wii U now.

Think about this: the Nintendo 64 launched with only 2 games in North America. TWO. Super Mario 64 (arguably one of the best Mario games) and Pilotwings 64. Of course we don't live in an era where 2-game console releases are doable, but it stands to reason that a console can still become successful if the flow of games continues.

The only Switch game that really gets me excited at this moment is the new Mario that's supposed to come out near the end of the year, but with so much shit to play between PC, PS4, and Xbox I am in no rush to get a Switch. In fact, unless there are some serious games that push me over the edge I don't see me buying one until the Switch's successor is released.

The library will grow, but I always suffer with Nintendo consoles. Bought the Wii for like 1 game when it launched and then it collected dust for 6 months before I sold it. Bought the Wii U when it launched for one game and then collected dust for 6 months until I sold it. Now that the Wii U has so many incredible games out to enjoy and the Switch release lowering resale values of the Wii U it's a no-brainer to get a Wii U now.

Think about this: the Nintendo 64 launched with only 2 games in North America. TWO. Super Mario 64 (arguably one of the best Mario games) and Pilotwings 64. Of course we don't live in an era where 2-game console releases are doable, but it stands to reason that a console can still become successful if the flow of games continues.

The only Switch game that really gets me excited at this moment is the new Mario that's supposed to come out near the end of the year, but with so much shit to play between PC, PS4, and Xbox I am in no rush to get a Switch. In fact, unless there are some serious games that push me over the edge I don't see me buying one until the Switch's successor is released.

For me, I realize it's maybe not fair, but I'm not a zelda fan. I've always considered Mario to be the flagship title. My biggest disappointment with Gamecube and now switch is that yet again they don't have a mario game at launch. I don't think they had one ready for Wii U either though by the time I got around getting one it was great because I got both Mario games.

I could be a liar but it seems like the Nintendo systems that do well are the ones that have Mario whatever ready at launch. I'll pick up a Switch when mario is ready but by then the systems will not only be plentiful but probably quite a bit cheaper. *nvm Wii didnt have one either.*

Yeah, Switch has 1 original title but on Metacritic it is the fourth best reviewed game of all time.
Gamecube had Resident Evil 4 and we all know how that ended up.
Nintendo consoles always launch with a bang, but since they N64, they've all gone out with a whimper.
Judging the Switch (or it's appeal) based on 1 launch title, or any launch titles, is an exercise in futility. Again, I point to the fact that Nintendo consoles, the last several of which, turned into 1st party only machines after 1-2 years. If you're gaga over Nintendo games and can deal with endless repeats of Mario, then by all means, have at it. I should've learned my lesson with the Gamecube, but we bought a Wii anyway - and that will end up being the last Nintendo console I ever own. (Unless things drastically change, and since Nintendo gives zero fucks and marches to the beat of their own Wii Music drum, that's highly doubtful.)

Say what you will about Nintendo v Sega, but Sega consoles always had 3rd party support until almost the last days. Happened with the Dreamcast, Saturn, and the Genesis. Nintendo consoles, OTOH, 3rd party support is gone before you know it.

There's a fervent fanaticism you have to take into account with Nintendo games and hardware. It's a bit like Apple in that regard. I think you'll see opinions on the new Zelda normalizing as more people get to play it. It's really good (probably a 90+), but this "best game ever" stuff is worthy of an eye-roll.

Gamecube had Resident Evil 4 and we all know how that ended up.
Nintendo consoles always launch with a bang, but since they N64, they've all gone out with a whimper.
Judging the Switch (or it's appeal) based on 1 launch title, or any launch titles, is an exercise in futility. Again, I point to the fact that Nintendo consoles, the last several of which, turned into 1st party only machines after 1-2 years. If you're gaga over Nintendo games and can deal with endless repeats of Mario, then by all means, have at it. I should've learned my lesson with the Gamecube, but we bought a Wii anyway - and that will end up being the last Nintendo console I ever own. (Unless things drastically change, and since Nintendo gives zero fucks and marches to the beat of their own Wii Music drum, that's highly doubtful.)

Say what you will about Nintendo v Sega, but Sega consoles always had 3rd party support until almost the last days. Happened with the Dreamcast, Saturn, and the Genesis. Nintendo consoles, OTOH, 3rd party support is gone before you know it.

I hate to be argumentative, but the Wii U was the first major console that third party developers abandoned. The Wii had a incredible amount of 3rd party support as did the Gamecube and N64 before it. The Wii U was a mistake on many fronts and could not make up the success of the original Wii. Maybe the games weren't great for the previous consoles, but there was definitely plenty of third party support. The Wii U was the one that developers called out for being frustrating and complicated to make games for, and was also the last PowerPC based console which made things even harder for developers.

Nintendo is the only company that takes serious risks when it comes to hardware. I am curious in a mobile world such as today how well the Switch will hold up, and I can see how it would be appealing. I think hopefully by the time the holiday season rolls around there will be plenty of games to entice folks to purchase it (although there seems to be no shortage of demand at the moment).

I bought Hydro Thunder, Power Stone, Sonic Adventure, and Soul Calibur on 9/9/99.

I was working at a video store at the time and had saved up my money for several months....

Still, I was one HAPPY 16 year old.

Helluva launch!

Dreamcast did have a great launch line-up. I had: AirForce Delta, Hydro Thunder, NFL 2K, Power Stone, Sonic Adventure, Soulcalibur, and Tokyo Xtreme Racer. Not all of them are games i'd call system sellers, but all great games.

I was 17 when the Sega Dreamcast dropped on 9/9/99. It was the first console I would purchase on launch day. When it comes to the games, I would have to say that no other console comes close. I wasn't even into sports at the time but the 2K sports games were absolute game changers for that era. Powerstone is still being talked about in some circles to this day. Soul Calibur was highly praised by everyone. It was a superb fighting game. The only game I did not like in that launch lineup was Blue Stinger. I fell hard for the hype of that game but it was not good at all.

I might be in the minority here, but I think (despite my love for Sega) that the original xbox launch was pretty epic. Halo, even with the hater squad out there, is still very defining for console gaming

Im going to have to go with the original xbox as well, DOA 3 plus project gotham racing, if i remember max payne 2 launched with it as well. Halo 1 is still in my opinion the best console lan party game of that generation.

Yeah the Dreamcast might have had the best launch lineup. The original Xbox launch was pretty good too. Halo, Dead or Alive 3, Project Gotham Racing, and Fuzion Frenzy were great.
The Dreamcast had tons of good games in it's short lifespan.

I'd have to agree with the original xbox- those were exciting times

too bad this was about all the N64 had to offer. N64 killed console gaming for me to this day....

Although I did have 4 of the 6 games listed there.

Sadly, all too true, lol. I pretty much bought it for Mario64 and Mario Kart 64, everything else was a bonus frankly.

Was also my last console before getting into PC gaming (Pentium3 + PowerVR!), mainly 'cos prices started getting crazy for games. I dunno how it played out elsewhere, but here in the UK, the N64 prices looked like this:

Console: £150
Turok+required mempak: £70 (half the price of the damn console)

You couldn't play Turok properly without the mempak. Which meant that, adjusted for inflation, that game cost £116 ($144!).

So when I saw my brother and his mates swapping burned copied of their PC games, I kinda wanted to switch platform! :LOL:

Back