To be or not to be with Windows 10?

carlmart

Gawd
I've been reading several conflicting statements on the automatic free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 10.

Some comments from users here, having had problems or not might useful to other people that are asking them selves the same question.

Most critics are centered on Windows doing automatic changes without asking, particularly on some drivers.

My guess is things will get worst until they get well, and we are the guinea pigs once again. So should we enter the 10 stream or wait? Why yes or why not?

My experience:

1. Fresh Install of Windows 7 sp1 Pro 64 bit (validated)

2. Completely updated Windows 7 (hours worth, but I think you can skip this step)

3. Downloaded "Media Creation Tool" http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

4. Run Tool and "Upgrade"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was very simple everything went well for me. I'm starting to work my way around the new OS and enjoying the experience.

If your a gamer the only games I have tested so far are: Hearthstone, and Battlefield 4
I noticed a significant jump in performance from Battlefield 4, similar to the jump from windows 7 to windows 8 in that game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My specs:
Below

Very happy with the whole process

when the first DX12 title is released I'll make the jump from Windows 7...in no rush...will give it time to bake in the oven...hopefully MS will eliminate some of the invasion of privacy settings and auto-install stuff by then...I'm thinking when SP1 (Threshold 2) hits in October will be a good time...eventually everyone will be forced to make the switch (gamers in particular), it's just a question of when

You don't have to rush. I've taken 2 of my 3 machines from 8.1 to 10 and like it very much. However I don't mind being at the forefront. I have backups to roll back to if things go badly. So if you are nervous, read for a while and watch how it goes for people. Besides you'll give the upgrade system a chance to cool a bit if you wait :) and let some of us still in line get our updates done :)

No problems at all here.
1 Fresh install of Windows 7 Ult. 64 Sp1 and validated
2 Did not update Windows 7
3 Used Media Creation Tool to update
4 Running smoothly

when the first DX12 title is released I'll make the jump from Windows 7
Other than playing around with Win10, I really have no use for it. The UI and manageability* have regressed from Windows 7 and 10 does nothing to make day to day use easier than 7.

Waiting for something to require Win10 probably isn't what MS wants to hear. :p If it comes on a new PC, whatever, but there's no reason to rush to install it for most people.

* there are enhancements for managed environments, but is almost meaningless for individual PCs since I'm not creating policies for home use outside of rare one time tweaks

Other than playing around with Win10, I really have no use for it. The UI and manageability* have regressed from Windows 7 and 10 does nothing to make day to day use easier than 7.

Waiting for something to require Win10 probably isn't what MS wants to hear. :p If it comes on a new PC, whatever, but there's no reason to rush to install it for most people.

* there are enhancements for managed environments, but is almost meaningless for individual PCs since I'm not creating policies for home use outside of rare one time tweaks

MS seems to be dumbing down the UI and features to make it 'easier' to use for the masses...the tech savvy people are getting pushed aside in favor of a more streamlined approach to feed the general public...seems like MS wants a one-size-fits-all assembly line OS...Windows 10 does have some nice improvements under the hood but this dumbed down approach is not something I like...

I installed it on a secondary ssd as a fresh install, leaving my sorted win 7 install intact. Runs really well. I'll test run it for a while before completely transitioning. Very impressed so far. The old power user settings are still there, so its not completely dumbed down...as far as I can tell.

Waiting here, mainly due to creative sound drivers. Some from windows update work but sound/mic quality is bad.

Also waiting for 3rd party apps/patches/info to completely remove/block the spying.

Tried 10240 and had a few apps that it wasn't happy with. Corsairlink needed a fix and afterburner is buggy.

Maybe when dx12 games come out it will be worth upgrading. If all the guinea pig testing has resulted in bug fixing.

Well, wait and no rush seem like good advice.

As long as it resembles 7, more than 8 (which I hate and still do not know how to use properly), looks more promising to me.

I'm always an early adopter and go into it understanding that things may break, but I like to play with new stuff and am fine if that happens. That said, I've had zero issues. I usually clean install but wanted to see how the in place upgrade went and I have zero motivation now to clean install. The whole update took me less than a half an hour (SSD FTW) and all of my apps work flawlessly. The 8.1 install I upgraded had been in place for well over a year and I've got a bunch of Steam games installed. So far every one I've tried works just fine, including GTA V, Dirt 3, Civ, etc..

Well, it seems W10 is not working for me on the things I matter.

In my case I upgraded on my Asus laptop from 8.1 to 10. Is it possible to go back to 8.1?

My guess is some of the drivers, particularly audio and probably video, are not yet tuned for 10. They will probably do soon, and I will be following until there's an update on them.

Well, it seems W10 is not working for me on the things I matter.

In my case I upgraded on my Asus laptop from 8.1 to 10. Is it possible to go back to 8.1?

My guess is some of the drivers, particularly audio and probably video, are not yet tuned for 10. They will probably do soon, and I will be following until there's an update on them.

Unless you intentionally nuked it, you should be able to go into add/remove programs and "uninstall" Windows 10 which will roll you back to 8.1.

I didn't nuke anything, intentionally or not, but W10 is not listed in add/remove.

I am really curious to see some gaming benchmarks after upgrade comparing win 10 vs win 7

Everything I see is comparing win 10 to win 8.

I really don't like the new look of win 10, or forced updates, as well as privacy issues. I know you can turn it off but hate everything is on by default.

I prefer to wait as long as possible until games really ship wtih directx12

I ended up googling over this going-back, and it was easy to do. You just go into configurations > recovery > Going back to 8,1,

It's that simple. There's a catch though: it seems it can be done before a month passes by.

Right now I'm back in 8.1.

what I would like is to install W7 on this laptop, but Asus does not provide W7 drivers for it. There seem to be unofficial drivers, but I wonder what else may get in with the drivers.

This +1. I tried W10 and don't see what has everyone fooled. I'm totally astonished at the hype this OS is getting, what, Edge? I'll pass.8.1 serves me just fine.

Last edited:
I didn't nuke anything, intentionally or not, but W10 is not listed in add/remove.

It's the in the system restore area of the settings.
Took my Laptop 4 minutes to roll back to 7. There are no graphics drivers for mine so it's stuck with 7.

Not to be. While 10 technically "works" on my system, driver support for my motherboard and CPU are lousy. Plus the auto-install of drivers without my permission is strictly "no bueno" territory for me, in addition to all of the snooping it does. Windows 10 definitely needs to go back into the oven for a while yet, with all it's UI inconsistencies and poor design choices.

I'm already back on 7, and have no plans to re-upgrade unless the situation changes or I upgrade my platform again before the 1 year upgrade period runs out.

Just upgraded my win 8.1 rig, figured it couldn't be any worst than 8.1 and I was right for the most part, "upgrade" went smoothly. The win 7 rig and laptops are definitely staying 7 though.

I've been reading several conflicting statements on the automatic free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 10.

Some comments from users here, having had problems or not might useful to other people that are asking them selves the same question.

Most critics are centered on Windows doing automatic changes without asking, particularly on some drivers.

My guess is things will get worst until they get well, and we are the guinea pigs once again. So should we enter the 10 stream or wait? Why yes or why not?

I've done the upgrade on two out of six computers in my home. Two will not have Windows 10 due to lack of support for very specific hardware - the last two, well I'm not sure. Windows 10 feels fresh but its rather a Windows 8.2 than a full new OS if you ask me.

Im guessing now but I think there would be more reasons to go from Windows 7 to Windows 10, than from 8.1. I really like the account management and the improved security (Microsoft finally provides a good enough anti virus) and in comparison Windows 7 feels dated and quite so 2009. The so criticised ModernUI is much better in Windows 10, swipe in from the right and its very easy to switch between desktop and ModernUI.

I would also like to mention Store. While its not very good at the moment I'm hoping that Microsoft will give it some attention. For example I would like to see more programs coming via Store, like Office, Photoshop and so on. Would also be nice to have something like "Microsoft certified" programs available in store, like WHQL drivers comes through Windows Update.

With DX12 being exclusive to Windows 10 there are also reasons to upgrade. Another nice thing, which I haven't tried, is the supposed support for streaming Xbox games to your PC. Both are if you play games, of course.

In the end, it is probably up to each and everyone. Windows 7 by it self is still a very good OS and I like to see it as the last, and therefor the most polished, OS of its generation. With Windows 8 Microsoft took a step into the "online" world, leaving the grey miditower behind, and tried to switch to "units". Gone are the days when a computer had to be under a desk, now it is everywhere - in the car, in my bathroom, on the airplane. As I said, Windows 10 feels more like a Windows 8.2, and I who prefer the more modern OS know what I would do when it comes to Windows 7 vs 8.1 or 10 but between 8.1 and 10? I'm not sure. Even using Start8 to get a normal startmenu :)

Haven't tried it yet but I'm going for a new HTPC with the Surface Pro 3 as base with Miracast to send the image (and bluetooth for sound). For this I believe Windows 10 is better than Windows 8, other than that, its hard to say.

Back