To all who trash conroe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjohns97

[H]ard|Gawd
This shall be the thread that ends all of the threads trashing conroe. I knew this chip would truly define who's a f_a_n_b_o_y and who is normal.

For all the doubters of 1m times.
aopen_yonah_019.JPG

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97140

To everyone who was wondering about it's 3d capabilities.
FCG_153219.jpg

FCG_AM3WR2.jpg

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97395

Now can we please stop all of the madness about 1m times loaded completely in cache and 3d not being shown because intel is weak in that area. AMD has gotten beating in their own game, end of story. Hopefully they will rebound and the gamers and overclockers will finally have some competition, to drive their market.

What a normal CPU score for high end CPU's in Auqamark?
I need a reference point, before I can put this in perspective? :)

Terra - Me and benchmarks don't meet often ;) *L*

Sweet merciful christ that's a high cpu score in aquamark.

I just ran it on my box...P4 560J @ 4.1ghz and it got 10551 cpu score.

It's crazy that he was able to set a new world record in AM3 using all stock-cooled equipment, when the previous holder was using an FX-60 and dual 7900GTX's each under phase change :eek:

Terra said:
What a normal CPU score for high end CPU's in Auqamark?
I need a reference point, before I can put this in perspective? :)

Terra - Me and benchmarks don't meet often ;) *L*

Click the link. the WR was 152653 on a fx60 and 7900s both using phase cooling. This WR was on stock HSF and at only 2.7ghz.

CEREAL_KILLER said:
not high end but my 165 just scored 8,552. thats just the cpu score.

EDIT: let me change the settings to match those on the conroe test

looks like my score is what should be expected for the cpu i have

http://game-files.net/AM3-opty165.JPG

So the Conroe is ~2x as powerfull in Aquamark as your Opty?
Wich(if I am not mistaken preforms like a AMD64 X2 +3800 in eg. FEAR and BF2?)

Terra - :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bigjohns97 said:
AMD has gotten beating in their own game, end of story. Hopefully they will rebound and the gamers and overclockers will finally have some competition, to drive their market.

i think its the other way around bro. INTEL finally rebounded and made it competitive again.

can't wait for conroe myself. i expect a mass exodus for all AMD owners over to the intel camp

Asian Dub Foundation said:
can't wait for conroe myself. i expect a mass exodus for all AMD owners over to the intel camp

I know my money will be going to the best avenue available when I decide to upgrade again. AMD, Intel or otherwise. I don't care if it says Tyco on it if it performs. :eek:

Eva_Unit_0 said:
Sweet merciful christ that's a high cpu score in aquamark.

I just ran it on my box...P4 560J @ 4.1ghz and it got 10551 cpu score.

It's crazy that he was able to set a new world record in AM3 using all stock-cooled equipment, when the previous holder was using an FX-60 and dual 7900GTX's each under phase change :eek:
Which goes to show you just how powerful Intel's new CPU really is. :)

I predict that when it finally does come out, Intel will reign supreme.... for a few months.

robberbaron said:
Here's a reference
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1029321747&postcount=304
2997MHz on dual core Opteron 165 and single 7900GTX.

The Conroe got a nice score, but that's expected from $1200 of video cards and a CPU that is only in the hands of the well connected ;)

The single GPU score is in the thread for all to see, and it's still very very nice.
With Woodcrest less than three months away, it's in quite a few hands already.

Least said:
I predict that when it finally does come out, Intel will reign supreme.... for a few months.
lol, yea, but lets wait and see... more fun that way

robberbaron said:
Here's a reference

The Conroe got a nice score, but that's expected from $1200 of video cards and a CPU that is only in the hands of the well connected ;)
this single post makes me feel SOOO much better about the opty 165 rig i just bought. Wow, i feel so much better. Im not even kidding.

everyone knows conroe will own all, i plan on jumping on the conroe bandwagon myself lol

For those that dont realize, that is a world record AM score. He used an aircooled Conroe with dual air cooled X1900XTX in Crossfire. The previous world record was held by Kingpin with SLI 7900GTXs @ 931/1075 phase cooled on a phase cooled dual core AMD at 3.68GHZ

jcll2002 said:
this single post makes me feel SOOO much better about the opty 165 rig i just bought. Wow, i feel so much better. Im not even kidding.

Hey I do my best. No reason to not feel good about it, the 165 is a badass CPU. And that score was on air-only. Stock 7900gtx cooler and XP90C w/ Panaflo L1B.

robberbaron said:
Hey I do my best. No reason to not feel good about it, the 165 is a badass CPU. And that score was on air-only. Stock 7900gtx cooler and XP90C w/ Panaflo L1B.
well, my rig is "close" to that lol so i feel better because it wont be that far off from conroe.

jcll2002 said:
well, my rig is "close" to that lol so i feel better because it wont be that far off from conroe.

don't worry, only to the hardcore enthusiast do the X2s become "outdated".

Either way, looking into a post someone made concerning the % difference between AMD's top processor and Intel's top back when the FX-53 was out ( ~ 18% at Doom 3), should prove to everyone that this is just a part of the much-larger cycle.

AMD released a chip (A64 series) that at first completely dominated Intel.

Now, finally, 3 years later, Intel releases a chip that completely dominates AMD.

I don't think it'll take AMD 3+ years though to answer ;).

However, I can't wait for Conroe. I'll get my 2.4ghz, 4mb cache Conroe for my main system, I'll upgrade my S939 system to a X2 4800+ for my back-up system, and then will be getting a Merom-based MacBookPro (if it doesn't take Apple too long to release them) ;).

Good time for all of us, I say.

jcll2002 said:
never thought id read "x2 4800+ as my backup system" haha!

Well, not so much a "backup" system, as the system I keep in another room of the house (one "power" system upstairs, one "power" system downstairs" so to speak. The more powerful is downstairs, while the one I use less is upstairs. Usually, it's what gets used if a friend comes over to game, or if I'm upstairs for whatever reason, etc. Other family members can use it, etc. Then, if I'm off at school, I take the top system with me, leaving the lesser one for when I visit ;).

I will believe it when Kyle or Steve benchmark it. I trust their judgement and knowledge in this area. Until then, money is collecting interest for my Conroe system. :D

ICE_9 said:
I will believe it when Kyle or Steve benchmark it. I trust their judgement and knowledge in this area. Until then, money is collecting interest for my Conroe system. :D

i already have a jar full!

I could not agree more with botld92z.
I don't care who makes it as long as its fast
stable and is cheaper.
Right now it looks like conroe for all things.
AMD will pop something to make it better but
right now its conroe.

HEY if there was a $100 processor that beat everyone you
could call me a tyco fan boy

sparks

sparks said:
I could not agree more with botld92z.
I don't care who makes it as long as its fast
stable and is cheaper.
Right now it looks like conroe for all things.
AMD will pop something to make it better but
right now its conroe.

HEY if there was a $100 processor that beat everyone you
could call me a tyco fan boy

sparks

Yup I agree with Sparks. If Matel stampped out Proccessors next to toys and it kicked Conroe and AMD's asses, then I'm a Matel Fan boy until Intel and AMD did something better.

MrGuvernment said:
let me guess, you own an AMD...

yep, good ol' xp 3000+ :p
...and a pIII 1.0ghz.
and soon to be an opteron.
but how about them 8x 400mhz xeons?

Honestly, I am excited about the Conroe. I just think that given trends from the last couple years, AMD will release something better a short while later.

Personally I'm not upgrading for atleast 18-24 months. I'll buy what's best for my needs then.
Does anyone know how Conroe is going to perform in floating point calculations? Does it have a weak FPU like current Intel processors?

ToastMaster said:

Either way, looking into a post someone made concerning the % difference between AMD's top processor and Intel's top back when the FX-53 was out ( ~ 18% at Doom 3), should prove to everyone that this is just a part of the much-larger cycle.

Now, finally, 3 years later, Intel releases a chip that completely dominates AMD.

However, I can't wait for Conroe. I'll get my 2.4ghz, 4mb cache Conroe for my main system, I'll upgrade my S939 system to a X2 4800+ for my back-up system, and then will be getting a Merom-based MacBookPro (if it doesn't take Apple too long to release them) ;).

Then these are the types of posts that causes a lot of un-needed arguements. The results of one test (in this case Doom3) and is NOTHING like the Spanking Conroe put on the overclocked FX-60.

Donnie27 said:
Then these are the types of posts that causes a lot of un-needed arguements. The results of one test (in this case Doom3) and is NOTHING like the Spanking Conroe put on the overclocked FX-60.

Um, yeah. The conroe has 4mb cache and 1066fsb and 65nm. If it didn't perform better I would have to laugh at intel.

robberbaron said:
Here's a reference

something is up with that. i get 15k cpu score with my single core opteron at 3ghz.. though my gfx score is ~300 cause of gf4mx

ToastMaster said:

Hardly against the Pentium 4's a K8 in Socket 754, didn't do any dominating outside of gaming. Where it had it's alrgest games, back then Intel still had a smoother multiasking experience with HyperThreading technology and thanks to HyperThreading they were faster in things that were MP aware.

Conroe is looking to be stronger then Dual Core K8's across the scale, with barely any exceptions, the only area where AMD is looking good is FP performance, where Conroe doesn't beat it too much or is tied. Conroe is also looking to have a clock frequnecy advantage as well as high IPC.

It will take sometime before AMD has an answer to Conroe on desktop, I expect AMD to counter Clovertown first rather then Woodcrest/Conroe/Merom as they have their best chance there in the 4-way/8-way space thanks to HyperTransport but other then that, they will be beaten in the other sectors.

Least said:
Um, yeah. The conroe has 4mb cache and 1066fsb and 65nm. If it didn't perform better I would have to laugh at intel.

QFT!

We'd all be trashing their booties if they added all of those features and couldn't out do Yonah that was already giving AMD heartburn!

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=217

Add to 4 mb cache and 1066fsb and 65nm

4 issue Core vs 3 on Yonah

12ns cycle latency, 2ns better than Yonah's 14

Smart cache, nothing like it on Yonah

Shared L2 on Conroe just two L2 on Yonah

Intel processor Bandwidth 65GB for Conroe about 48 for Yonah, not my figures.

Processor Bandwidth 8.4GB vs 5.3GB for Yonah, AM2 is is still somewhere nearer to 6.4GB until they move to a real 1333 HT/FSB.

Newer Generation EIST for Conroe

Better SIMD support for Conroe that can process one 128 or two 64bit blocks in one cycle all other x86 processor has needs two cycles.

Code Morph, nothing on yonah like it.

If one engineer I know is right, Conroe can do Code morph and single cycle 128bit SSE at the same time, so much for Reverse Hyperthreading.

Cooler build processor and better transistors on Conroe.

64bit and virtualization support, not on Yonah.

So I'm shocked folks act surprised Intel says 40% less power and 40% better performance. All the crap they piled on?

I'm sure there are other improvements I don't know about or wouldn't understand if I did know.

When Anand first said this;

Anand said:
Honestly, as it stands today, if Intel can get clock speeds up, the only area that they will need to improve on is gaming performance to be competitive with AMD. We wouldn't be too surprised if the comparisons that we have shown today end up being very similar to what we encounter at Conroe's launch: with AMD and Intel performing very similarly at the same clock speeds, but with AMD's on-die memory controller giving it the advantage in gaming.

Many of us said his love for AMD blinds him and said Conroe would be faster clock for clock the only question was how much.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=coreduo&page=1

Something many Pentium-M and Yonah owners have already known. Better late than never.

Donnie27 said:

Ok, fine, how about not just in Doom: Anandtech's coverage of the FX-57

Now we look at Business and such benchmarks:
Anandtech's FX-57 Review continued

Yes, we see the P4 dominate in some business benchmarks, while the A64 series dominates in an equal number of business benchmarks.

Then we move on to Dual-Core, at its introduction:

Anandtech's X2 Preview

Now just scroll through the various benchmarks. Yes, Intel wins, I believe, one benchmark, (SysMark 2004 Data Analysis). Then Intel wins roughly 3 or 4 of Anandtech's real-world multitaskins scenarios, although this is primarily only the Pentium Extreme Edition 840, so it would be surprising if the increased cache, at that clock speed, hadn't made a difference.

Ultimately, in most of those tests however, the X2s dominated everything else, both single-core A64s and Intel's own dual-cores. Now tell me Donnie, how is that now somewhat comparitive to what Conroe is doing?

However, I do agree, Conroe is generally spanking the Athlon 64 series in the benchmarks we've seen.

If you honestly believe that's how it's going to be for the next few years however, you're in for a very Intel funboy-rude awakening.

Donnie27 said:
Yup I agree with Sparks. If Matel stampped out Proccessors next to toys and it kicked Conroe and AMD's asses, then I'm a Matel Fan boy until Intel and AMD did something better.

But see, that's the thing. There's no need to be a fan boy, Donnie. I'll be buying a Conroe the first day it becomes readily available off of a site like Newegg, including all that's needed - motherboard, a Conroe (haven't decided which, might just go for the E6700 or get as planned, the E6600), and the fastest available DDR2. I'll probably through in a new graphics card as well. This, having just built my new system based around the 3800+ and 7800GT, in September.

Then, if AMD comes out next year with something that beats Conroe, I'll go out and buy that, and ditch my Conroe system (relegating it to becoming my back-up). I'll honestly believe I do support AMD a bit more, simply because of Intel's domination for so long, as well as the fact that AMD's domination required to Intel to answer.

Platform agnostic, it's the way to go. That also means that you don't go "OMGZX AMD DEAD", but also that you don't think such comments until final review samples are out to be independently tested. Yes, the preliminary results do look awesome. However, we do live in a very not-so-honest world. :)

coldpower27 said:
Hardly against the Pentium 4's a K8 in Socket 754, didn't do any dominating outside of gaming. Where it had it's alrgest games, back then Intel still had a smoother multiasking experience with HyperThreading technology and thanks to HyperThreading they were faster in things that were MP aware.

As the owner of a P4 2.8c with Hyperthreading, I can honestly tell you that hyperthreading really didn't make that much of a difference. In some rare cases, you could notice a smoother transition for multitasking. Anything that was memory-demanding, however, still caused issues.

Conroe is looking to be stronger then Dual Core K8's across the scale, with barely any exceptions, the only area where AMD is looking good is FP performance, where Conroe doesn't beat it too much or is tied. Conroe is also looking to have a clock frequnecy advantage as well as high IPC.

I concur, Conroe does look stronger across the scale. However, given the results of Aquamark for the CPU score, for what people have shown, things are certainly...interesting.

It will take sometime before AMD has an answer to Conroe on desktop, I expect AMD to counter Clovertown first rather then Woodcrest/Conroe/Merom as they have their best chance there in the 4-way/8-way space thanks to HyperTransport but other then that, they will be beaten in the other sectors.

See, I honestly don't see Clovertown as that much of a thread. I think there's a reason why we haven't seen Intel demonstrating quad-core NGMA processors, and my own personal reason is that performance probably just isn't that much greater. Atleast not where memory-demanding applications are concerned. We know from Anandtech and others that Conroe's FSB is already using as much memory bandwidth as possible. Now you can up the FSB to 1.33Ghz, as Intel is planning, but if it's still relatively fixed in terms of bandwidth utilization at that speed, I honestly don't understand how it's going to get any better for the quad-cores, given that a dual-core Conroe is already using as much bandwidth as it can handle. However, I'm not an electrical engineer, so I honestly can't say much, beyond what my own personal take is. It very well could be nothing of the sort I've stated. :p

Either way, I think AMD's transition to DDRII is partly because of their eventual move to quad-core, which is where the combination of the increased bandwidth and the IMC will play a big part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back