To all the power users: How many machines do you use for work?

How many devices do you use for work/gaming, and how do you use them?

• A mobile workstation or gaming laptop

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Only a tower/workstation for everything

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • A tower/workstation + an ultrabook/notebook

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • only an ultrabook/notebook

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • A tower/workstation + mobile workstation/gaming laptop

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • None of the above

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

Zurec

n00b
Hey people,

In mid-July i will present my Bachelor-Thesis of Industrial Design. The topic is the evolution of computing power, with the main focus on video cards.
I did some research on the technological progression, aswell as the socio-cultural aspect of the future workplace.

My question now goes out to all the gamers and power users:
How many machines do you own, and how do you use them in terms of gaming and/or for work?

Do you use a powerful gaming-laptop or a mobile workstation, or a combination of an ultrabook + a desktop?

Thank you for your time, all comments and feedback is greatly appreciated!

Two desktops in one office, one in another office. At home I'll VPN in using my desktop or notebook. Only my desktop at home has a formidable GPU (GTX 780). As I am working 50-60 hours a week, I haven't fired up a game in weeks even after graduating this spring.

Thank you for all your votes. The results are kind of what i expected, but its really helpful to see them confirmed.

Basically, what i observed most of the time is that people use ultrabooks/notebooks (even tablets) if they want to be mobile, but use a desktop if they want to get work done.

However, keep the votes coming! can we get 20-30 Votes by the end of the week?

Thanks again.

I only have a mobile workstation with 3 monitors for my office at work.

Ay home I have a workstation/gaming tower with 3 monitors. I also have an older laptop that very rarely gets used.

5 Towers

(1) HPZ870 and (4) variously-configured HP Pro Desk 600s

Work (office and Home) is on a Lenovo T440s They don't give us desktops. Its in a docking station with dual external monitors. Home gaming is the workhorse Tower PC as well as my WHS, and two other desktops

I used to have a workstation and 1 desktop and a spare where I would run programs that I could not on the workstation. After a while I figured out it took too much space and would have preferred just the workstation and the spare to run special programs but all on one monitor and keyboard. Never even bothered with the laptops. Multiple monitors are only good if you are actually monitoring something and not to do actual work. All the head turning can give you sprains. Even when I used to have many different systems up I never used more than 1 at a time. Since they were incompatible with each other I needed them setup on the desk anyway. The work I did made it difficult to multi task as such. Breaking your train of thought would make it easy to make a mistake. Hence I always used a spare as a throw away machine. Everyone I knew also never used more than 2 machines although the extra machine was always used for various other tasks. If you have the money why not go nasa.. Not that you would get more work done but it will impress the people who come over.

My Stuff
Dell Vostro 3450 Laptop = portable Blu-ray player
Dell Venu 8 Pro = portable streaming device
Home grown PC = gaming rig
Nokia Lumia 830 = phone and media consumption when tablet is not with me

Company PCs
Dell OptiPlex work station with 2 monitors = primary work stuff
Dell OptiPlex work station with 1 monitors = secondary work stuff

I use 3 PC's and I primarily work from home. 1 Laptop when I am out of my home office for work, 1 "workstation" (VESA mounted) for work at my home office, 1 "tower" (ITX, tower is a misnomer really) hooked up to TV exclusively for gaming and entertainment.

In between jobs at the moment, start my new one in a week. Used a Tower at the ofice, and a Lenovo Y70 for remote usage.

27" iMac for 95% of daily computer needs. System in my signature for PC gaming. Seperate company issued laptop (Dell E7440) for work.

Back