to all SSD fans

You don't know the difference between mechanical and solid state drives? I think there's an entry on Wikipedia where you could learn about the benefits.

Umm. Because you might want to install more than 256GB of stuff and don't want to deal with spinning drive load times? Obviously if you don't have the cash for a big SSD a smaller one is better than none, but eh.

Pointless thread.

Just depends on what that 1TB drive will be used for. If it's for backups, long term storage or media storage, then ya a platter drive is fine.

Different tools for different jobs.

If you're happy with the performance that a spindle drive provides, then stick with them.

If you yearn for boot and full OS load times that are typically under 30 seconds from power-off state, OS updates that take seconds rather than minutes, and almost instant application/game launch/load times, then get an SSD.

If it comes down to cost, then there is zero argument that a spindle drive will always provide an exponential amount of capacity over an SSD for a fraction of the price.

If you are simply using price points as a deterrent in avoiding an SSD purchase (or attempting to haze/troll others for having spent the money on SSDs), then try harder...

Let's take a walk down memory lane:
When 200GB UDMA-133 drives released, getting a cheapo Maxtor for $250 at a retail store such as Best Buy, CompUSA, Fry's, or Circuit City was regarded as a smokin' hot deal.

When the Samsung 830 and Crucial M4 ruled the SSD market, a 512GB variant would surpass $700.

$200-250 today buys a decent 512-1000GB SSD.

Just sayin'

Last edited:
If you've never tried an SSD (even a smaller one for OS + commonly used software / games), it's time to treat yourself and get on board with one.

I bought 2 x Sandisk 960 GB Ultra II's for $182.99 each and they are definitely worth it. Some games, such as Dragon Age: Inquisition or Batman: Arkham Knight literally load in seconds on the SSD but took at least 2 to 3 minutes before they were ready to go on my 2TB Seagate hard drive.

If you're happy with the performance that a spindle drive provides, then stick with them.

If you yearn for boot and full OS load times that are typically under 30 seconds from power-off state, OS updates that take seconds rather than minutes, and almost instant application/game launch/load times, then get an SSD.

If it comes down to cost, then there is zero argument that a spindle drive will always provide an exponential amount of capacity over an SSD for a fraction of the price.

If you are simply using price points as a deterrent in avoiding an SSD purchase (or attempting to haze/troll others for having spent the money on SSDs), then try harder...

Let's take a walk down memory lane:
When 200GB UDMA-133 drives released, getting a cheapo Maxtor for $250 at a retail store such as Best Buy, CompUSA, Fry's, or Circuit City was regarded as a smokin' hot deal.

When the Samsung 830 and Crucial M4 ruled the SSD market, a 512GB variant would surpass $700.

$200-250 today buys a decent 512-1000GB SSD.

Just sayin'

I spent $120 for my first 1.2GB HDD when the prices came down enough for me to afford one.

So yeah, SSD prices are pretty awesome considering the performance AND when you look at how far the prices have fallen.

I still want them to fall more, but around $250 for a 1TB SSD is not bad at all.

Thats the best you can do, a derpy blanket $/TB statement? lol

A single ssd outperforms entire disk arrays, often by several orders of magnitude depending on the metric. They have also been proven as more reliable than hard drives over the last 5 years, as long as you don't buy trash brands to save a few cents.

Not having spinning rust in portable computers is extra nice.

I run a backup of my OS on a 7200rpm drive for testing and helping me unbarf my system if I screw up.
My main OS install is on a Samsung 840 Pro SSD. the games I am playing are on another partition of the SSD.

The boot difference isnt night and day, its way more.
I can make a cup of coffee while the hard drive boots.
The SSD puts me at my desktop in around 15 to 20 seconds.

Game load times in some games are not much different, I leave those games on a hard drive.
But other games I will not play unless they are on the SSD. ie Witcher 3, GTA V, Fallout 4...

I bought my first SSD in 2008, it was a 30GB OCZ and cost $499. Never looked back, my new laptop that just came in I specifically ordered with a 7200rpm spinner only because I have my own drives to use in it, and it is so painfully slow that I haven't even bothered to start it up in a few days until I have time to change the drives out this weekend. HDD are basically useless to me, I don't have any mass storage needs. I prefer the silence and speed of the SSD any day and the spinners can collect dust on the closet shelf until I want to do a backup.

I jumped into SSD's really early when my radio automation software started using an SQL database about 6 years ago. At that time, their software was coded very inefficiently, so I dove into 'massive' 40 Gigabyte Intel SSD's to hold the OS/SQL/Software.

ALL of those drives are still in service. All of those machines have gotten faster and faster as they have optimized the software a lot over the years. I am amazed that the drives still show 98% health after all of those years. Using those SSD's has allowed those machines to have a very long service life.

Since then, I have migrated my RAID 5 Audio/File servers from the huge cases and PSU's to smaller, regular rack mount cases and went to 1TB SSD's.

SSD's are just fast, reliable and for my application, very long lasting. I have no spinning hard drives in our six station cluster now.

Smartest money I ever spent.

for performance.

ssd = great for OS drive, app drive, games drive.
platter = great for storage, backups, archive

Although I used to consider ssd's less reliable, my view has now changed that I trust ssd's more than hdd's now providing its samsung or intel and its not a TLC drive.

For gaming it's very worth your while to get one now. Didn't used to really matter 2-3+ years ago, but is a pretty big difference in load times today.

Run this by me again, why should I invest in SSD given these prices?
Comparing 1TB drives:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1273747-REG/crucial_ct1050mx300ssd1_mx300_1tb.html

vs.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._ST1000DM003_1TB_Barracuda_Internal_Hard.html

I might as well use an 256gb SD as a drive and save money and size and intall hassle.

My setups have mostly been 120-256gb ssd for OS, a 256,500 or 1tb games ssd, and then an assortment of 1tb-5tb drives for misc. storage, backups, media, games that don't really need ssd speeds (or aren't played much). Its a lot easier to start out with a small OS ssd with a HDD and build up from there later on. That MX 300 is only about $30 more than the Mushkin 1tb I bought last year on sale.

You don't know the difference between mechanical and solid state drives? I think there's an entry on Wikipedia where you could learn about the benefits.

Everyone knows. SSD is faster and weighs less, so it's increasing the power-to-weight ratio of the PC.

Run this by me again, why should I invest in SSD given these prices?
Comparing 1TB drives:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1273747-REG/crucial_ct1050mx300ssd1_mx300_1tb.html

vs.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._ST1000DM003_1TB_Barracuda_Internal_Hard.html

I might as well use an 256gb SD as a drive and save money and size and intall hassle.
From the point I push the power button to the point I can type in my password is about 5 seconds... Then 3 seconds after that my windows machine is fully booted... And I have the 525 GB MX 300 I picked it up for 109 and I have a 1tb sshd as a larger storage

Once you go SSD you never go back.

They'd be worth the performance gains at twice the price. One of the reasons I didn't buy a console this generation (for this first time since 1992) is because I can't handle load times anymore.

Last edited:
Back