To all ASROCK Z77E-ITX owners: CPU fan speed question

tale

n00b
I just purchased the Asrock Z77E-ITX mini board.

I am using a Noctua 92mm PWM CPU fan. It appears that the setting options in the BIOS does not allow my CPU fan to dynamically adjusts the fan speed to address the heat generated by the CPU stepping. When the CPU is idle or full load, the fan speed is the same speed.

I only 2 see options in the BIOS for CPU FAN 1: Full On or Automatic Mode. I have tried both options, but the fan spins at the same speed. My expectation is that when the CPU is idled, the fan spins slow.

So my question: What is the setting to allow the CPU fan to dynamically adjust the fan rotation speed to the heat being produced by the CPU?

thx!

This probably would have gotten more attention if it were in the SFF section. You need to mess with the Target CPU Temperature & Target Fan Speed. For example, mine is set to 45C and 3, so my fans run around 600rpm while idling and ramp up to 1400-1500rpm under load.

Thx MissJ. Since yours did work, I decided to give mine another try. This time I used HWMonitor and saw that the fan speed was increasing. I am using a Noctua PWM fan and that thing is super quiet, which was why I couldn't tell if the fan speed was increasing. Thx!

Thx MissJ. Since yours did work, I decided to give mine another try. This time I used HWMonitor and saw that the fan speed was increasing. I am using a Noctua PWM fan and that thing is super quiet, which was why I couldn't tell if the fan speed was increasing. Thx!

NP! I totally forgot to tell you to check using HWMonitor :p

I don't have your model, but i 've had plenty of Asrocks.

In my BIOS, this is how it works.

My fan runs at full speed at 2000rpm. Level 5 fan speed is 1700rpm. If i set to BIOS:

Fan Target Speed: Level 5
Target Temperature 48C

It doesn't mean that when temperature rises to 48C, it will apply 1700rpm. It means that it will run at 1700rpm at all times and when the temperature rises OVER 48C, it will automatically run at my fan's full speed (2000rpm).

It's odd, but that's how it works on my Asrock 970 board.

See if it's similar.

Thx Faethon. You answered my next question, which I was about to ask. So to sum up what you said:

48c is the target temperature
level 5 is the minimum spin of the fan

Once CPU temperature hits over 48c, the fan spins faster. Correct?

Thx Faethon. You answered my next question, which I was about to ask. So to sum up what you said:

48c is the target temperature
level 5 is the minimum spin of the fan

Once CPU temperature hits over 48c, the fan spins faster. Correct?

Level 5 isn't the minimum, it's simply lower than the max rpm. Each fan has different behaviour. Mine has max 2000 and at Level 5 runs at 1700rpm, which is good enough for me as minimum rpm, so i leave it there. You can go lower to level 4,3,2, etc. You have to play a bit and see the speeds that your fan will show.

Once you find a "baseline" level-fan speed, this is how fast the fan will run always, unless you reach the thermal limit. Then, your fan will run at FULL speed.

Anyway, yeah, you grabbed the idea.

You can use Asrock AXTU Utility (which as i checked, supports your motherboard too) and play with the settings while you are in Windows too without having to reboot to go to UEFI each time. Just hit "Apply":

t8kv1e.png

Last edited:
Back