TN LED panel burn in/ghosting. Need help

Lukaswil

n00b
Today I noticed an graphical error when watching a video which I initially thought to be burn in or ghosting. (put a solid colour image on to help see it) I updated my windows about 2 days ago and I didn't have the issue then. What's really confusing me is the circle next to the first bar. This is because my old windows version didn't have that circle there and the new one has it. I haven't used my pc for longer than I usually do so I'm not sure is this is a case of burn in/ghosting or not. My monitor is an iiyama ProLite GB2488HSU , which has a TN LED panel.

Any help diagnosing/fixing the issue is greatly appreciated.
IMG_20190714_155754.jpg
IMG_20190714_155738.jpg

Not so sure about the horizontal line but that dotted circle does look just like the circle you get when Windows 10 is booting up. If a computer freezes on bootup, it can be stuck with a frozen "dotted circle" for a very long time. Burn-in potential for sure on certain screens.

Not so sure about the horizontal line but that dotted circle does look just like the circle you get when Windows 10 is booting up. If a computer freezes on bootup, it can be stuck with a frozen "dotted circle" for a very long time. Burn-in potential for sure on certain screens.
I haven't had my pc freeze on bootup. The line matches up with the top of my search bar when windows is booted up. I remember reading somewhere that it isn't permeant on a TN panel. Is there any merit to this or is it just false hope?

I haven't had my pc freeze on bootup. The line matches up with the top of my search bar when windows is booted up. I remember reading somewhere that it isn't permeant on a TN panel. Is there any merit to this or is it just false hope?
It could be permanent. The popular belief that LCDs can't have permanent image retention is wrong. However, if you're only just seeing it today, turn the monitor off for the night and see if it's there in the morning. It probably won't be.

To prevent it in the future, you could try turning down the overdrive impulse. Also, make sure there's adequate ventilation around it so the panel doesn't get too hot.

It could be permanent. The popular belief that LCDs can't have permanent image retention is wrong. However, if you're only just seeing it today, turn the monitor off for the night and see if it's there in the morning. It probably won't be.

To prevent it in the future, you could try turning down the overdrive impulse. Also, make sure there's adequate ventilation around it so the panel doesn't get too hot.
Thanks will update in the morning.

I've left the monitor off for a good 8 hours and the image has still been retained, although to me it seems to be fainter than it was yesterday.

You mentioned turning down the overdrive impulse to help prevent this in the future, how do I do this?

It can be permanent.
I used TN panels to make a projector (many moons go) and when it wasnt cooled enough I saw patterns from my OS, just like yours.
Eventually there was a permanent overlay left.
I killed the first panel anyway and kept the 2nd panel cool enough so it didnt happen again.

I suggest your screen has got too hot for a long time, accelerating image retention.
If you are using it near a heat source or the sun shines on it a lot, that could be why.
Unfortunate.
Try keeping it cool and using it to display movies for a few days, it might fade away a bit.

Its worth contacting Iiyama even if its out of warranty, they might help you out.
This isnt the kind of thing they want to be associated with.
ie it could be the display runs hot due to a manufacturing defect.

Last edited:
It can be permanent.
I used TN panels to make a projector (many moons go) and when it wasnt cooled enough I saw patterns from my OS, just like yours.
Eventually there was a permanent overlay left.
I killed the first panel anyway and kept the 2nd panel cool enough so it didnt happen again.

I suggest your screen has got too hot for a long time, accelerating image retention.
If you are using it near a heat source or the sun shines on it a lot, that could be why.
Unfortunate.
Try keeping it cool and using it to display movies for a few days, it might fade away a bit.

Its worth contacting Iiyama even if its out of warranty, they might help you out.
This isnt the kind of thing they want to be associated with.
ie it could be the display runs hot due to a manufacturing defect.
I just sent them an email asking for help. Thanks for the suggestion, didn't cross my mind to do so as I believe the 3 year warranty ended at the start of the year.

Back