TMT5 doesn't respect 0-255 PC black levels

staknhalo

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys. Got a problem/some questions for you. I'm using TMT5 for folder BR playback from WMC's native movie library. The entire PC and TV are calibrated for 0-255 black levels. All videos work fine in the correct color space. TMT5 though, uses it's own levels which causes crushed blacks and overblown contrast. This was tested/confirmed via the AVSForum calibration BR disc via TMT5 and the AVSForum MP4 calibration video files via WMC video library. Now, in the TMT5 desktop/standalone player I can adjusts its brightness/contrast settings for movies to display correctly. However, these settings don't carry over to the WMC interface, and you can not adjust brightness/contrast in the WMC interface either. It was confirmed by another user on their forums as well. I've contacted support and they had me try some adjusted .ini files which did not work. They then said I'm basically shit-out-of-luck and would have to use the desktop player if I want proper black levels. :/ That does me no good as this is a WMC HTPC controlled via remote. On their forum, Arcsoft_Jason said that this would then be an engineering issue which they don't have sufficient resources to put behind a fix. Great resolution. Makes you appreciate some other companies :D

Anyway, my question. For those who have their HTPCs/TVs calibrated for 0-255, does TMT3 have this issue? What about those of you who use PowerDVD? And how about WinDVD? I know I could use MediaBrowser and configure it to use the desktop player; but I would rather use the native Movie Library so I don't have to install a plug-in just to use another plug-in. Seems stupid. Thanks for any help/feedback you guys can give.

I had a similar issue this was my workaround for it.

I have my output set to ycbcr (16-235). This made my blurays look great but most of my other content on WMC really washed out. I applied this hack to the registry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Debug\ehPresenter.dll] "NominalRange"=dword:00000001

What this does change the video played natively in WMC to be 0-255. While still maintaining 16-235 which works with blu rays.

So, if I understand you right, this would make menus and desktop and the WMC interface ect display in 16-235; but all video would display in 0-255 (except for video played via TMT5)?

Edit: but then I still have the issue of one set of video being 0-255 while another is 16-235. So I would still be in the same boat, no? My calibration would be off one way or the other.

So, if I understand you right, this would make menus and desktop and the WMC interface ect display in 16-235; but all video would display in 0-255 (except for video played via TMT5)?

Edit: but then I still have the issue of one set of video being 0-255 while another is 16-235. So I would still be in the same boat, no? My calibration would be off one way or the other.

You could give it a try and see how the content looks, at worse you're back at square one.

Yeah, I'll give it a shot this weekend (when the GF isn't over and I can take the HTPC offline). I'll post how it goes.

One thing you could try is just adding the registry hack and see how TMT5 responds. With your output set to RGB.

Do you have your display calibrated, or is the calibration through your video card settings?

Nvidia card is set to output 0-255 as is the TV and all calibration settings are on the TV end. I know adding the reg setting will take 2 seconds; but adding it, seeing if it works and then deleting it (if I need to) - I just prefer to do that (and some other maint tasks I gotta do) all at once when I can take it offline. She hates it when I'm like "Just hold on, let me just try this one thing" *then, 3 hours later....* :p

Whelp, gave the reg key a shot after I got home from work tonight to no avail. Situation is exactly the same as before with no change for the worse or better. Thanks for the suggestion though. :/

If anyone else uses any of the other above mentioned BR playback software(s), I'd love to hear if this problem applies to you as well. Worse comes to worst, I spend some time this weekend installing/uninstalling these various programs ( hate doing stuff like that on the HTPC though...I just wanna set it and forget it :p ). Seeing as I seem to be very alone in this need/problem, I'll post my findings for anyone else in the future.

Back