TL-60 vs T7500?

aFive

2[H]4U
I currently own an AMD Turion TL-50 laptop which I am going to either sell or upgrade.
I have upgraded HDD and RAM in the past, I find the CPU a tad lacking at 1.6ghz.

Well, I have some guy who might be interested in buying this laptop for $750, which would allow me to go ahead and buy Acer with C2D T7500 in it. Alternatively, I can go ahead and purchase Turion TL-60 for this laptop. What would you do?

I personally would much rather go with the Intel CPU due to the higher Cache and lower temps along with better voltage. However, upgrading TL-50 would prove to be less of a hustle and they do have higher FSB (1066 vs 800).

Advice?

I've tested a bunch of Turion laptops since they were introduced, and really, I find them to be seriously weak processors, even the dual core Turions. I don't know why because on paper the numbers say they should perform, but in the actual hardware, they just flat out suck ass. Probably the chipset, as I hate VIA/Nvidia/ATI/SiS crap with a passion. Never had issues with AMD itself, but the supporting chipsets just ruin their processors' ability to perform in my experience.

When AMD made chipsets years past, those were rock solid and dependable and they performed very well. As soon as they stopped (and then tried to make a comeback recently), it's just not the same.

I've been an Intel 'fan' since the 70s, will continue to be so because they work, all the time, every time, without issues, without problems, without funky driver problems, without needing some 4n1 chipset driver suite, without all the crap that I personally can't stand about having an AMD processor tied to some other brand of chipset maker.

Intel all the way. It's not about clockspeed anymore. It's about how much gets done in a clock tick, and Core 2 Duos just so thoroughly trounce anything AMD has even at the same clock speed it's not even funny.

And yes, the T7500 would eat that TL-60 for breakfast, brunch, lunch, an afternoon snack, dinner, a late night snack and even a quick sneak snack when you run to the bathroom at 3AM. ;)

^^^^lol.
I actually have another laptop in the house used by somebody else that has one of the C2D's inside. That thing is clocked at 1.7ghz and it's MUCH faster than my TL-50, night and day. Besides that, it undervolts better and runs way cooler and battery life is alot longer.

I really want to just get rid of this lappy and go with C2D but I am really not sure if the guy is going to come through. I really hate waiting on somebody, wish people would make decisions instantly.

Turion laptops simply are not in the same bracket as C2D. I have a amd laptop, and I hate it.

my laptop feels very fast even with speedstep enabled. runs hl2 episode 1+2 no problem.

Turion laptops simply are not in the same bracket as C2D. I have a amd laptop, and I hate it.

I would have to agree. I switched ram, I got an awesome HDD, yet this thing is still freaking slow compared to the C2D laptop I see near me.

I am meeting the guy that wants to buy this thing Saturday most likely, we will see how it goes. The problem is that he is bringing his uncle with him, who is a full time IT :(.

Back