Tivo alternative. Non-htpc?

UnlimitedMP

[H]ard|Gawd
I figure this is as good a place as any to ask.

Is there a simple tivo-like machine that will record and pause tv?

This is a gift for my sister so the simpler the better hence non-htpc. I did some searching but could not find anything decent under the $400 mark & no subscription. I'm new to non-tivo dvrs.

If not, I'll build her an htpc based off all previous examples you guys have mentioned in the past. Thanks.

Best one if you don't need HD is a ReplayTV, you should definitely be able to find one that's lifetime subscribed for under $300, I sold mine an upgraded hard drive for 200.

Her source is cable tv. Sorry I didn't realize this board was so fast.

Let me look up used ReplayTVs.

===

The ones on ebay and amazon seem to be 03 models and i wouldn't be surprised if a hard drive quit. I kind of want to avoid used systems as well, but thanks for the info.

Perhaps I will have to go down the htpc route since the current Replaytv is now Directv.

I figure this is as good a place as any to ask.

Is there a simple tivo-like machine that will record and pause tv?

This is a gift for my sister so the simpler the better hence non-htpc. I did some searching but could not find anything decent under the $400 mark & no subscription. I'm new to non-tivo dvrs.

If not, I'll build her an htpc based off all previous examples you guys have mentioned in the past. Thanks.

I mean she can prob get a DVR from the cable company for just a few more dollars a month. I realize you want to get her a gift and all but it is really a much more simple solution.

if she doesnt need HD recording I have a Toshiba SD-H400. It has free basic lifetime subscription, gives you 3 days worth of guide data vs 14 with paid service, and also does not have season pass but you can just set a recording to recur each day,weekday,week. I think those are the major differences. PM me if you are interested and we can work something out.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back