Titanfall - Respawn Entertainment's first game

Ill listen to the user scores first where it scored very mediocre across the board.

lots of call of dudebros getting curb stomped by titans is my guess
if you ever played Tribes youll be fine

most people are not used to thinking about threats from above you

Yes they have to all be paid off because God forbid the thought that people might actually like it. It's not like there weren't tons of people coming off the beta loving the game and tons of people gushing about it from prior public events or anything like that.

Clearly Respawn sent out a ton of checks, for all the people who played the beta as well. :)

I just got done playing it, and had a blast. I'm not sure how many matches I played (10 or 11 maybe?), and I only ran into one of the maps, from the beta, once! I've been pretty happy with the variety so far.

Yes they have to all be paid off because God forbid the thought that people might actually like it. It's not like there weren't tons of people coming off the beta loving the game and tons of people gushing about it from prior public events or anything like that.

Careful now , you are starting to make too much sense. Can't have that kind of sound judgement with all the nut balls that hang around to criticize in this sub forum.

We must not all enjoy the same thing ever. Especially if it gets good reviews , then we distrust it doubly so!

You should really check that kind of logical/rational judgement before you get on this forum Derangel :cool:

I've had an absolute blast with the game. I love fast-paced twitch arena shooters, and the wall-running and jumping is crazy amounts of fun. Best MP game I've played in a really long time.

I just really wish they'd fix the 60 fps cap (I know there are ways around it, but they come with their own (more annoying) issues). Yeah, I know it's the epitome of #FirstWorldProblems that I can only play at 60 fps maxed out at 1080p, but dammit, I have a 120Hz monitor for a reason. :p

Last edited:
I like the game but it seems to lack depth.
The game seem to lack strategic chokes, which promotes too much blind running.

Ill listen to the user scores first where it scored very mediocre across the board.

I always have trouble trusting random user reviews on sites like Metacritic. Beyond the obvious "I have no idea if these people actually played the game" problem I have no idea who these people are. There is no chance to to get to know their tastes and how it relates to my own. It's all information with no context behind it and I put zero faith in averaged scores, it is way too easy to screw with the user average on Meta. I don't like scoring systems for reviews in the first place and quite frankly most people know fuck all about writing anything good and actually properly justifying their final score.

No one should be listening to any reviews.. There is so much media available these days. People should be able to there own conclusion.

I watched a few youtube reviews and none of them said this was a total pure waste of time so it passes my minimal level of iteration to purchase.

I enjoy sci/fi shooters (one of the few that likes mass effect 2/3) so I figured I'd pick up the download off Origin only now I cant play a game due to some error 503.

I love the mp campaign concept, but it feels lacking. However, (no spoilers) the 2nd to last campaign map had one of the most epic moments that had everyone talking over the mic.

The general consensus when i enter matches is everyone likes the game. Heck, I haven't had this much fun in a game in a long time. I honestly think it is worth the $45-50 it costs (can find it a bunch of places at that price online.)

The game isn't perfect and I have my gripes about the 60 fps lock with vsync off (respawn working on it now) I also dont like how crossfire/sli not supported and is broken (need it when fps cap is lifted) and the game feels "locked down" which makes the long term playerbase in the game questionable as most of the successful games with a long term playerbase allow customization/modding.

I took a gamble and bought this game and I'm glad I did. I don't think it's anything like CoD but more like the arena/fast paced FPS shooters (unreal tournament, quake, etc).

I'm running the game flawlessly with everything maxed out on 1440p and I think it looks great, except for some of the skins on some of the player models. Other than that, awesome so far.

I watched a few youtube reviews and none of them said this was a total pure waste of time so it passes my minimal level of iteration to purchase.

I enjoy sci/fi shooters (one of the few that likes mass effect 2/3) so I figured I'd pick up the download off Origin only now I cant play a game due to some error 503.

I went by TB's recommendation, he loved the beta, but wasn't like, its a $60 game, his review of the finished product to me was essentially, campaign like Brink, but game play like the beta, so for me, this is a buy, but definitely not at $60.

I'm going to watch some streams tonight. What's a good site? I literally never watch streams.
Twitch is the biggest game in town. Just try to avoid the streams with thousands of viewers because those users are usually just trying to make money by being dishonest and playing a character. Also, protect yourself with Adblock ;).

Played through about half of the campaign last night as Militia. The pacing seems pretty good, as the maps gradually get bigger and more complex. Wish more game modes were included to mix things up, as out of the 7 maps I played 2 of them were Domination and the rest were Attrition. When I started I got matched with a bunch of noobs like myself starting at level one, and we got matched to an IMC group that averaged level 20. We wiped the floor with them because apparently we understood the game mechanics a lot better :D.

A few short review points I'd like to add:
  1. Insane textures make things look pretty good for such an old engine. It looks noticeably better than the beta.
  2. There are no pretty add-on post effect stuff going on, but it's actually nice because no artistic integrity is distracting you from the gameplay.
  3. While I don't understand the "need" for uncompressed audio, I did notice the fidelity and positioning was at least as good as any pre-Vista hardware accelerated surround sound effects and it was a treat for the ears.
  4. Mouse control is perfect, as it seems the game is using RAW input with acceleration disabled. I had no problem zeroing in on targets and consistently getting headshots on foot. This was a nice surprise as most console ports seem to mess up the mouse control in one way or another.
  5. All of the connection issues I experience during the beta were gone. Matchmaking was quick. My ping to the US East server was always around 40ms, and in-game it never spiked above 55ms.
  6. I had no framerate issues as some people have been reporting. Gameplay was butter-smooth throughout my entire 4 hour gaming session. Using an Intel i7-4770 @ stock, EVGA GTX 780 SC (must have won the silicon lottery on this one, as it consistently goes over 1100 MHz Boost using stock clocks and voltages), and 16GB of memory.

I enjoyed the beta, and got $10 off pre-order. I still enjoy the game, but still getting used to the 'HALO' pace. Disclaimer: COD fan.

Have you guys come across any hackers yet? Still on the fence about buying and with MW2 being their last effort, my confidence wasn't exactly high in their game being secure.

Have you guys come across any hackers yet? Still on the fence about buying and with MW2 being their last effort, my confidence wasn't exactly high in their game being secure.
I've only been playing campaign, but I haven't seen any yet. Game has only been out a day, though.

Twitch is the biggest game in town. Just try to avoid the streams with thousands of viewers because those users are usually just trying to make money by being dishonest and playing a character. Also, protect yourself with Adblock ;).

You lie, Kaceytron would never try to deceive!

Played through about half of the campaign last night as Militia. The pacing seems pretty good, as the maps gradually get bigger and more complex. Wish more game modes were included to mix things up, as out of the 7 maps I played 2 of them were Domination and the rest were Attrition. When I started I got matched with a bunch of noobs like myself starting at level one, and we got matched to an IMC group that averaged level 20. We wiped the floor with them because apparently we understood the game mechanics a lot better :D.

A few short review points I'd like to add:
  1. Insane textures make things look pretty good for such an old engine. It looks noticeably better than the beta.
  2. There are no pretty add-on post effect stuff going on, but it's actually nice because no artistic integrity is distracting you from the gameplay.
  3. While I don't understand the "need" for uncompressed audio, I did notice the fidelity and positioning was at least as good as any pre-Vista hardware accelerated surround sound effects and it was a treat for the ears.
  4. Mouse control is perfect, as it seems the game is using RAW input with acceleration disabled. I had no problem zeroing in on targets and consistently getting headshots on foot. This was a nice surprise as most console ports seem to mess up the mouse control in one way or another.
  5. All of the connection issues I experience during the beta were gone. Matchmaking was quick. My ping to the US East server was always around 40ms, and in-game it never spiked above 55ms.
  6. I had no framerate issues as some people have been reporting. Gameplay was butter-smooth throughout my entire 4 hour gaming session. Using an Intel i7-4770 @ stock, EVGA GTX 780 SC (must have won the silicon lottery on this one, as it consistently goes over 1100 MHz Boost using stock clocks and voltages), and 16GB of memory.

Uncompressed audio is a PC only thing because of shitty hardware on the PC side of things. Having uncompressed audio means not having to devote CPU time to it. While that may seem silly to you, keep in mind the amount of dualcores and laptops out there with weak CPUs vastly outnumber the amount of people with good CPUs.

PC always has to cater to the weakest possible configurations if they want to sell enough for it to be worthwhile. Hence uncompressed audio, it let them really get the system requirements down.

Developing PC games for high end hardware is stupid and a surefire way to bankrupt your company. They aren't fools so they don't do it and you get uncompressed audio out of it.

Uncompressed audio is a PC only thing because of shitty hardware on the PC side of things. Having uncompressed audio means not having to devote CPU time to it. While that may seem silly to you, keep in mind the amount of dualcores and laptops out there with weak CPUs vastly outnumber the amount of people with good CPUs.

PC always has to cater to the weakest possible configurations if they want to sell enough for it to be worthwhile. Hence uncompressed audio, it let them really get the system requirements down.

Developing PC games for high end hardware is stupid and a surefire way to bankrupt your company. They aren't fools so they don't do it and you get uncompressed audio out of it.

I think you have it wrong, and uncompressed audio is desirable. Uncompressed FLAC sounding better than MP3 etc.

I have read the minimum spec requirements, but from those of you who are playing what do you think realistically the optimal requirements should be to game on a 24" monitor at 1080p?

I am googling like crazy but any game site is blocked at work. Trying to price out a cost effective rig for decent game play for a friend.

Thanks

What PC cannot use MP3s easily and has not been able to do that since 1998? You have no idea what you are talking about. If they are catering to the lowest common denominator how do you rectify the issue with disk size since many laptops will have measily 64 or 128 GB SSDs in which a 45Gb install will crush?

I think you have it wrong, and uncompressed audio is desirable. Uncompressed FLAC sounding better than MP3 etc.

While uncompressed is "more desirable" that's not why they did it... they did it for low end PCs. You're wrong in why they did it, even according to the game developers themselves.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/respawn-titanfall-pc-gaming-install-electronic-arts,26275.html

"We have audio we either download or install from the disc, then we uncompress it," said Respawn lead engineer Richard Baker. "We probably could have had audio decompress off disc but we were a little worried about min spec and the fact that a two-core machine would dedicate a huge chunk of one core to just decompressing audio."

"So... it's almost all audio... On a higher PC it wouldn't be an issue," he added. "On a medium or moderate PC, it wouldn't be an issue, it's that on a two-core [machine] with where our min spec is, we couldn't dedicate those resources to audio."

There you go. They aren't stupid, they are still basing games off dual cores. This shouldn't shock you, this is almost always the case with PC gaming. This game was watered down to make it playable on more PCs.

What PC cannot use MP3s easily and has not been able to do that since 1998? You have no idea what you are talking about. If they are catering to the lowest common denominator how do you rectify the issue with disk size since many laptops will have measily 64 or 128 GB SSDs in which a 45Gb install will crush?

See the above. The audio was done for dualcores. You're the one who has no idea what they are talking about. Read up. You're a PC gamer, you should know that they always neuter things down to make it playable on the most amount of systems possible so they can sell the most games.

You have to develop PC games from the view of the "lowest common denominator" because making every PC game a "Crysis" type game would not only cost significantly more but would alienate users without higher end PC's (be it whatever type of PC you want to use as an example) and thus sales along with that.

The reason PC gamers don't see games that are more demanding are twofold :

1. Console ports now denominate the landscape. They are quick and dirty ports and cheap. We may not like that but that's how it is. Thankfully both next gen systems use common hardware architecture and not custom hardware solutions (PS3 with the Cell setup and 360 with PowerPC cpu's).

2. Cost to develop. The cost of of developing a game that makes extensive use of PC hardware is massive. It takes quite a talented team of programmers/artists/debuggers to make a big flashy PC game. Then you also have to have an actual "game" people want to play along with it and sometimes just getting lost in making your game really high end can end up hurting the core values of playing a game to begin with.

Titanfall may have a large install size but it runs on low spec'd setups pretty damn well. So the only real "high end" requirement is hard drive space and considering how cheap hard drives are and how many people own external hard drives its not unreasonable to expect someone to have the space. Titanfall wasn't developed with low space SSD in mind period.

Finally finished the campaign, can't say I understood what the hell was going on in the story but it made the gameplay more exciting with the constant chatter

I finally found a decent deal, so I went ahead and bit. I feel like the overall reaction was pretty positive, so hopefully I'll enjoy it.

The best thing so far is that I'm actually getting 25 Mb/s speeds while downloading it, which I've never seen before, so kudos to them for getting some fast servers (and to Comcast for not sucking, at least temporarily).

See the above. The audio was done for dualcores. You're the one who has no idea what they are talking about. Read up.

No, actually you're the one who don't know what you're talking about. If real-time performance is a problem then you decompress all sounds on loading, assuming you have control over your entities and know what the potientially used set it, or if not you simply cache the decompressed version at first use in a LRU.

"Made for dual-cores". C'mon. Tell you what, how about an OPTIONAL decompression process for low-end systems?

How about you don't install languages that are not needed?

This is just more lying and hand-waving from developers. Stop defending them.

The best thing so far is that I'm actually getting 25 Mb/s speeds while downloading it, which I've never seen before, so kudos to them for getting some fast servers (and to Comcast for not sucking, at least temporarily).

I assume you mean in Origin? They should just multiply that download rate with 1024, make everyone super happy at the free upgrade.

Downloads via Origin can show numbers related to the transfer of files, not download speed. When I preloaded the game I saw 70 MB/s - 110 MB/s on Origin, but obviously I don't have a 1Gbit connection, so that was impossible since my maximum download rate is around 10 MB/s (100Mbit fiber).

When I preloaded the game I saw 70 MB/s - 110 MB/s on Origin, but obviously I don't have a 1Gbit connection, so that was impossible since my maximum download rate is around 10 MB/s (100Mbit fiber).

I've been harping about it here before, but people continue to be fooled by it. I can only congratulate EA on being premium scumbags.

Day 3 and it is still unplayable for me. The BETA was flawless, the FPS issues in the final version are insane.

It is getting harder and harder to be a PC gamer. Honestly most "PC releases" are turds that take weeks to straighten out before becoming playable.

I even grabbed a GTX 770 to upgrade my aging 570 and my FPS were better with the 570 in the BETA. I even went so far as to freaking re-format and make sure it wasn't driver related. Another 2 hours wasted.

I'm about to lose my mind. The BETA was the most fun I have had in ages...$300 GFX card + $45 game later I have still logged under 2 hours due to being unplayable.

I assume you mean in Origin? They should just multiply that download rate with 1024, make everyone super happy at the free upgrade.

I dunno, I've downloaded ~45 GB in less than an hour which is still quite a bit faster than what I typically see.

Day 3 and it is still unplayable for me. The BETA was flawless, the FPS issues in the final version are insane.

It is getting harder and harder to be a PC gamer. Honestly most "PC releases" are turds that take weeks to straighten out before becoming playable.

I even grabbed a GTX 770 to upgrade my aging 570 and my FPS were better with the 570 in the BETA. I even went so far as to freaking re-format and make sure it wasn't driver related. Another 2 hours wasted.

I'm about to lose my mind. The BETA was the most fun I have had in ages...$300 GFX card + $45 game later I have still logged under 2 hours due to being unplayable.

PC games being pretty much unplayable at release has been an issue since PC gaming started. This is just the way things have always been.

Clearly it's the game, and not your computer somehow even though so many others are playing it just fine.

Are you using the new Nvidia drivers for the game? Also if your card doesn't have 3GB of ram it can't run the Insane texture setting. You will have to lower it a couple notches or the game will hitch and stutter like mad according to my buddy with a 570 1.5GB.

Played the game for about 3 hours on Monday night. Loving it so far!

It looks a hell of a lot cleaner, texture-wise than the BETA did. Only gripe was the server connections, match-making hell, and a some stuttering every once and a while - not sure why what with my 780 and the newest drivers installed.

I got to about maybe only 3 maps left in campaign and BOOM, server timed out. I was upset, but still had a lot of fun even with the connection time out.

PC games being pretty much unplayable at release has been an issue since PC gaming started. This is just the way things have always been.

No, it's more since the Internet has been widely available so they could push out day 1 patches, and even then they've been getting pretty lazy.

Eh, I dunno. I remember Diablo 2 being a nearly unplayable mess when it was released, the same for Battlefield 2 and a number of other games in the late 90's/early 00's.

Eh, I dunno. I remember Diablo 2 being a nearly unplayable mess when it was released, the same for Battlefield 2 and a number of other games in the late 90's/early 00's.

I seem to recall the Internet being plenty widespread by then. I am talking stuff like Doom 2 and Quake...I don't remember them having a ton of bugs on release...at least nothing game-breaking that I ever encountered. They did have patches but they weren't essential right off the bat.

Back