Titanfall - Respawn Entertainment's first game

One of the beta review videos I saw mentioned being told at the community event held for youtube streamers earlier this month that burncard packs (microtransactions) were something considered during development but they had "no news at this time". From what I've been able to tell following the news of this game on the gaming sites, when something isn't happening, Respawn had no problem answering "no" to a question emphatically. However when someone asked a few weeks ago about whether there would be a beta for example, "no news at this time" was the response.

I'll laugh myself stupid if burncard packs happen. I would even lay money they'll come some time after the game's release. Why? Activision just announced again yesterday how profitable microtransactions have become for OCD: Ghosts. No way EA leaves that money on the table.

However to soften the blow I imagine they'll design them to be randomized, like a deck of baseball cards, so that one can't just buy 20 x Ogre Titan cards for example. Because some of the burn cards come with serious advantages. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uISGOibkbQs So I can totally see a situation where the little kids on consoles that this game is being marketed to just keep buying more and more $4.99 burncard packs obsessively like hamsters until they get the cards they want. Again, we're talking about EA here folks.

Last edited:
I just got home and checked my list of games in Origin. To my surprise Titanfall Beta was added to it and I'm downloading now. Check your Games section in Origin to see if it's there.

That's odd, it doesn't show up. Apparently I didn't sign up correctly months ago? Is it only "free to play" if you sign up?

Mine shows up in the last spot in my games list. Completely out of order alphabetically. I signed up for the beta 2 days before it went live.

That's odd, it doesn't show up. Apparently I didn't sign up correctly months ago? Is it only "free to play" if you sign up?

I believe they opened it up to only those who signed up before 2/14. You can always try emailing EA or doing live chat and saying you signed up but it isn't in your library.

Last edited:
it's showing up now in my origin inventory. let me get this straight then; i can download 13gb's to play/test a sci-fi cod for a day? no thanks. too bad they didn't send a code i could give to someone who wanted to try it instead of being locked to me.

i agree with the guy that said this will likely be a hit on consoles and end up a miss on pc. in the end i think all the pc interest is riding on hype atm. 6 vs 6 hardly shows the pc as a major player in their target customer base. can't say i blame them though.

it's showing up now in my origin inventory. let me get this straight then; i can download 13gb's to play/test a sci-fi cod for a day? no thanks. too bad they didn't send a code i could give to someone who wanted to try it instead of being locked to me.

Seriously did you even read my post just before?

Jesus the hate in this thread is absurd.

It's cool to not like a game, but I don't understand why people have to be such gigantic dicks about it.

I'm assuming most people here are adults, but sometimes I can't tell this forum and GameFAQs apart.

Who exactly are you guys talking about? Most of the discussion thus far has been pretty civil.

so im pretty much right in my assessment of the game. bots kill it for me . they run around in packs dumber then a door nail easy pickens. players hide the majority of the time till they can drop there titan every 2 mins give or take.

so i feel like im playing a match against bots most of the time. 6vs6 is way too low for this game.

the combat was cool i like the parkour stuff to get places but this game has so much more potential then this.

i def will be passing now.

Auto pistol needs to get pulled out of the game, never seen something like that before on a MP game. Also price wise kills it for me, unless there is some deep discount coupons or sales before launch i'll skip it.

@Filter. You can find the other players by looking on the minimap. Their dot is a huge red dot. So unless they are cloaked, they can't hide from you. The bots are there for you to kill to get a Titan faster. The spectres will fire rockets at Titans if you play cautious and sit still / hide too long. Ever played DOTA? The bots there are just there to feed you gold so that you can level up faster and buy gear. Same concept in TitanFall. Plus they do neat things like cry over dead teammates which adds atmosphere when your team sucks and you're losing by 300 points. ;)

is there some sure-fire way to get a pilot rip-out melee kill in a titan? it's happened to me 8 out of the 10 titan battles i've been in tonight.

is there some sure-fire way to get a pilot rip-out melee kill in a titan? it's happened to me 8 out of the 10 titan battles i've been in tonight.

I believe when they are low damage or about to explode you have to do a melee attack.

Well that explains it :D. I keep charging in when I'm about to die to try and set off my nuclear charge. Having a shit ton of fun with Titanfall.

Auto pistol needs to get pulled out of the game, never seen something like that before on a MP game. Also price wise kills it for me, unless there is some deep discount coupons or sales before launch i'll skip it.

Yeah I've never seen so many cheap kills in my life. Suddenly people don't have to aim anymore. Just get your reticle in the general area and instakill. Not sure what the devs were thinking with this. Very lame

@Filter. You can find the other players by looking on the minimap. Their dot is a huge red dot. So unless they are cloaked, they can't hide from you. The bots are there for you to kill to get a Titan faster. The spectres will fire rockets at Titans if you play cautious and sit still / hide too long. Ever played DOTA? The bots there are just there to feed you gold so that you can level up faster and buy gear. Same concept in TitanFall. Plus they do neat things like cry over dead teammates which adds atmosphere when your team sucks and you're losing by 300 points. ;)

Many times I've overheard grunts calling out that they spotted a pilot. Which lead to me getting the jump on someone. They are rather useful at times.

Just learned you can stick your knife in the wall by pressing mouse 2 while wall running. >< why didn't they put that in the tutorial.

I finally had the opportunity to play a round. We lost and I got left behind by the dropship because I couldn't figure out how to get up to the roof from my titan.

It was okay. Without a dedicated SP mode, I'm not sure I'll be able to justify a purchase, even when it goes on sale.

the people that are complaining about the Titans not feeling special or powerful...you guys don't know how to use them...of course they can't be crazy over-powered otherwise the game would be too imbalanced...they feel like they should...giant mechs...would be crazy good if there were destructible environments but oh well

as it is the mechs feel constricted in those maps...everyone having an anti-Titan weapon is also something I would not have added...but other then that they are cool as hell...you guys complaining need to learn how to operate them...don't just stand there and expect to obliterate everything just because you are in a Titan...you will die quick this way...again everyone has an anti-Titan weapon...constantly dash...use cover...don't always go for melee...

I thought the initial cool-factor was enjoyable for a few rounds. After that it was just the same old gun battles with no variation or "Did that just happen?!" moments. I was impressed how well it ran on my mid-range system while keeping the visuals high. It's a cool game to look at and hear. I think it lacks depth and variety for my $$.

Ah - HA! I have fixed my performance issues.
Crank all the details up (vsync + triple buffered) and choose to run it in a window rather than fullscreen.
Before you run the game, under game properties add "-noborder"
Smooth as silk now.

game is not worth $60. $30 game at best. so repetitive, maps too small. you can invite friends into your server but no squads or teamwork can happen. should just take that feature out. buggy game, rushed written all over it. no such thing as going from "beta" to on store shelves in 3 weeks.

game is not worth $60. $30 game at best. so repetitive, maps too small. you can invite friends into your server but no squads or teamwork can happen. should just take that feature out. buggy game, rushed written all over it. no such thing as going from "beta" to on store shelves in 3 weeks.

the game is 'beta' in name only...for all practical purposes it's a 'demo'...game is a finished product

Played some more tonight. Gotta say, the game can be really fun at times. I actually like how fast the matches are, it's action-packed the whole time.

Still, the smart pistol has gotta go. I watched several kill cams of myself when I was killed by one, and people are able to lock you fully in less than 2 seconds, even while jumping, falling, or running full speed. Not to mention if you look at the stats, per bullet it is actually more powerful than the Carbine. Totally ridiculous...the damage needs to be cut down at least 25%.

Titans are feeling a little better now that I am getting used to them, but I always roll with the 40mm Cannon because it's like a 1-2 shot kill on any enemy, Pilots included. Not sure why you would use the chaingun, since the cannon actually seems to do a bit of splash damage anyway. The rodeo thing is annoying, because by the time you are informed an enemy is there and you play the whole "getting out" animation, you are down 50-75% of your Titan health already. And since it's an automatic action as long as you jump high enough, it's really hard to avoid it happening.

I can manage to stay in a Titan for like half the match...It really just depends on how outnumbered you are Titan-wise. If it's more than 1:1, you are often going to be screwed. People saying "oh, you just don't know how to use them"...bullshit. Sure, you can rack up points against auto-Titans or noobs, but if you are playing against someone who has half a brain you will both die pretty fast even in the Titan. You can only do so much with shields and dashing in a limited environment.

I actually noticed a lot of people just calling down the Titan and then never piloting it. In a lot of ways it is way easier to get kills just being a Pilot. You get more XP for killing Titans, but it's not proportional point-wise to just killing Pilots and Grunts over and over on the ground.

Stim seems useless...nearly everyone is running around with Cloak, SMG or Smart Pistol, and Arc grenades.

The melee is stupid as hell, too. The kick is a one hit kill regardless of whether or not they come up behind you or not. People can just run at you cloaked, as you shoot them, and still kick you to death in one hit. Stupid bullshit that happens far too often.

Despite all that, I typically was the top of the leaderboard in every match I played, usually with like 5+ Pilot kills more than the next closest person. It's really not challenging at all considering the hitscan-like weapons and zero recoil.

Other than those things, it actually has potential to be good. If they can tighten up the balance a little and severely nerf the smart pistol to the point where not every single person is using it (or the SMG, which needs some serious spread at range), I can see buying it on a sale. So far, though, I have to say that I can only really play a few rounds at a time before I get bored. More maps might help that, but overall I'm hoping the Campaign mode is good, otherwise I think the gameplay will get stale pretty fast.

Anyway, my 2 cents after playing some more. I actually got put on a team with a bunch of Rank 1-3 guys against an entire team of Rank 14s, and still managed to wipe the floor with them. A bunch of them rage quit after the match. :p

the game is 'beta' in name only...for all practical purposes it's a 'demo'...game is a finished product

yeah. I said it cause didn't want people saying its buggy cause its a beta.

I don't understand the bots being in the game. the game was too boring without them?

You have a knife...? :confused:

I thought melee was just kicking.

Yeah the knife keeps you clinging to the wall but you can't use it to melee people kinda weird.

Ah - HA! I have fixed my performance issues.
Crank all the details up (vsync + triple buffered) and choose to run it in a window rather than fullscreen.
Before you run the game, under game properties add "-noborder"
Smooth as silk now.

Thanks I'll try it out the tearing really takes away from the experience.

I don't understand the bots being in the game. the game was too boring without them?

Honestly, given the size of the maps and the fact that everyone gets a Titan, I am thinking that the 6v6 limit is because with more than 12 (potential) Titans running around, it would be a ridiculous clusterfuck. The bots are there to make it seem more like a full battlefield without having 20+ Titans smashing into each other on a tiny map.

I've actually watched the AI do some pretty amusing things. They will often do Execution attacks on each other, friendly AIs will drag wounded ones away from the battle, and some other stuff that is pretty cool for an actual "battlefield experience". Sure, they pose no real threat and are basically cannon fodder, but if you take some time to watch them sometimes it actually does feel somewhat like a movie or something.

Finally downloaded and played the demo for a bit... what a disappointment.

Every pilot has an anti titan weapon, so basically the titan is a big bullseye for everyone to just hit the 3 key and unload on you. I get that they didn't want the titans to be a walking apocalypse, but the constant hail of fire in your direction makes it pointless. Also, considering the titans don't have jump gets or anything, you're confined to tiny areas of the map. Lame.

Ok, so the cloak, has a cooldown. Not terrible. Oh wait, the smart pistol that can lock on to 4 targets at once for an instant kill in about 1 second from the first lock to firing, can be used while cloaked. Umm.. who thought this would be a good idea? It's not like you even need to get your crosshair onto the target to lock on to them. It doesn't have a cooldown that I can tell, and there's no apparent downside to using it. Why use any other weapon in the game?

Having mechs and pilots as infantry in the game is fine, and that itself seems to have an ok balance(but it'd be nice if I could actually move around in the titan), and the pointless bots cluttering up the battlefield isn't exactly detrimental or anything, but with the smart pistol in the game? No, I just cannot see myself spending money on this. I played a few rounds, and half of my deaths were due to a cloaked player with that stupid gun from behind. If the cloak disabled the auto lock on of the pistol, that might make it a bit better, but as it stands? Screw this game.

the bots are the most annoying aspect of the game for me...I usually just kill every enemy without looking to see if they are a bot or human...if you picture the game without those bots it would be a lot less action packed...I didn't mind the 6v6 limitation when I first heard about it but seeing it implemented with all those bots I can see its flaws

I use melee a lot in-game because I'm always on the move and it's easier to use rather then firing weapons...the game seems worthy of a $30 price but I can see myself paying $60 only because there's nothing else coming out soon...Dark Souls 2 is coming out on the same day (March 11) but the PC version has been delayed a few weeks (or months)...if DS2 PC came out on the same day then I would not even think about getting Titanfall at $60

Loving the game, but will likely not pay $60. Gamefly is selling codes for $48 with the code FEB20OFF so I may do that.

It's a valid point. I didn't know any serious Triple A titles were still using Valve's Source Engine these days. In fact I had to look it up because it had some disappointing visuals and sure enough it all made sense. Whether it's acceptable or not, the engine is extremely dated and there is a reason why games aren't using it anymore. The game play is pretty solid so critiquing the visuals is kind of minor.

Valve may do a lot of good things, but currently game engines aren't one of them.

I wasn't saying that the source engine has anything to do with this game. I was only comparing the visual quality of this game to games that came out around or shortly after HL2. This game does not use the Source engine.

I said this before, and it's been posted elsewhere, that the beta graphics, especially textures do not represent the final game. They are at a lower res to keep file size down.

I just find it surprising that the developer's PR screenshots don't look any better. I'd bet that the finished product a month from now will not look much different, if at all. In the age of broadband, keeping filesize down for a beta seems like a lame excuse.

Honestly, given the size of the maps and the fact that everyone gets a Titan, I am thinking that the 6v6 limit is because with more than 12 (potential) Titans running around, it would be a ridiculous clusterfuck. The bots are there to make it seem more like a full battlefield without having 20+ Titans smashing into each other on a tiny map.

I've actually watched the AI do some pretty amusing things. They will often do Execution attacks on each other, friendly AIs will drag wounded ones away from the battle, and some other stuff that is pretty cool for an actual "battlefield experience". Sure, they pose no real threat and are basically cannon fodder, but if you take some time to watch them sometimes it actually does feel somewhat like a movie or something.
Two problems with this.

They could have made a pilot and infantry class.

6 pilots and 6 marines per round.

When it's time to switch sides, the pilots go to marines, the marines go to pilots. Or something along those lines. Or how about doing without them all together?

They also could have made the maps larger to support more REAL players.

From a company standpoint, Valve doesn't really need a good excuse. Take a look at the latest Steam hardware survey, then also take a look at any game that has the most users playing it. Half Life 3 had better debut Source 2.0 or something though.

I'm really interested what the gamers today will think of Half Life 3 when/if it's released.

I think what is taking so long is Valve wants to be 100% sure that they don't receive the hate much of the gaming industry receives today. It may never live up to the hype.

It's too bad most developers can't afford the developement time Valve has...

Just learned you can stick your knife in the wall by pressing mouse 2 while wall running. >< why didn't they put that in the tutorial.

and you can hack the AI robo troops LOLZ had like 5 of them following me and they TORE UP titans

Back