Titanfall - Respawn Entertainment's first game

I think Titan kills give you a bunch of points as well.
His point is that the person below him should be in second place. More pilot kills, higher KDR yet OP gets 2nd because of minion kills.

I've seen this too. I also did the finishing kill on a titan ripping the pilot out of his seat yet did not get awarded the kill for either the titan or pilot. Why?

The evidence keeps supporting the idea that this game wants to please the extreme casual FPS gamers who would normally fail at any other FPS. Rewarding them with minion kills that are not a threat at all and the autoaim pistol.

here's a game I completed a few minutes ago (I'm TitusNYC)...you're saying that AI kills don't count as much as human/pilot kills but I don't see that being the case...I'm sure pilot kills are worth more but not anything significant...people with more pilot kills then me are getting less overall points even if everything else is almost equal

Well I stand corrected, but now I'm really confused as to how points are calculated, because for example in your picture, you scored 60 Attrition points for 3 Pilot Kills, 3 Titan kills and 40 Minion kills. If we go by the in-game scoring of 1 point per minion kill, there's no possible way you can get 20 points out of 3 Pilot and 3 Titan kills, since they are worth 4 and 5 respectively. And this goes for nearly every other score in there.

I think points (or possibly XP values) are like:

Grunts - 20 Pts
Pilots - 100 Pts
Doomed Titan - 200 Pts

Spectres are a bit more than Grunts I think, but not that much.

So basically, if you kill 5 Grunts that is equivalent to a Pilot kill. With the Smart Pistol you can kill like 4 at a time, instantly, so it's not that hard to get Grunt kills.

Not sure how the "Attrition Points" are calculated.

I gotta say the smart pistol combined with Grunts that literally stand there so they get locked on is going to be a problem going forward.

The whole concept of the Smart Pistol is silly to begin with. It's obviously just there to make kids/console players feel good about themselves because they don't have to aim to get kills.

I mean, none of the weapons have any recoil in the first place so all you have to do is put the crosshair on a guy and pull the trigger...

I've noticed too that it doesn't really seem to matter which weapon you use, they all seem to be dead accurate at any range, so it's almost better to just use the SMG even for medium to long-range fighting, because it has a higher ROF and you can still get headshots from half a map away.

The grunts are honestly one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in a game. The maps don't feel right with 12 players. I felt like I was killing moronic AI 95% of the time. It is absolutely clear they are there to distract you and make you feel as if there is more action taking place.

The grunts are honestly one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in a game. The maps don't feel right with 12 players. I felt like I was killing moronic AI 95% of the time. It is absolutely clear they are there to distract you and make you feel as if there is more action taking place.

I feel the same way, and add the smart pistol, just silly too.

Really, really wanted to like Titanfall, but this game is just way to consolized (not that surprised)
Oh well, so much for a BF4 replacement, the children can have this tripe.

well went into this with an open mind and absolutely hated it. Sad because I was hoping for a really good next sci fi fps on pc. I would much rather play hawken, and I'm not too thrilled with that game either.

It's fun, but I really don't like how the Grunts are used to trick the player into thinking there is more action happening than there really is. The smart pistol is also just really strange, leaves a bad taste, like it was added by the marketing department.

I do like it more than COD though, so if I were going for a straight run and gun experience I would totally pick this up. The double jumping and wall running really do add a lot of possibilities. I wonder how Quake veterans will like it?

Hmm, according to GPU-Z my max Vram usage for Titanfall was 3643mb. I'm using a GTX670 4gb.

I wonder how Quake veterans will like it?
They wont.
Except for the washed out ones that went to WOW.

Strafe jumping, plasma jumping is nothing compared to the simplicity of wall jumping in Titanfall.

Want a GREAT mech game with pilots that can eject and jump into combat? You guys must have missed out on the Mech Warrior Living Legends (MWLL) mod.

YouTube videos of it are PATHETIC. But the game is a masterpiece. Especially the later builds.

The game although fun is definitely nub friendly IMO. Some of these people would never do anywhere near as good in another FPS Lol.

Yeah its sort of like quake with half the game speed, double sized character models and everyone has quad damage miniguns with infinite ammo.

All that dodging doesn't do much good when all of the weapons are hitscan with very few required hits to get a kill. Smart pistol makes things even worse.

Yeah its sort of like quake with half the game speed, double sized character models and everyone has quad damage miniguns with infinite ammo.

All that dodging doesn't do much good when all of the weapons are hitscan with very few required hits to get a kill. Smart pistol makes things even worse.

As a player who has been looking for a game that offers any semblance of Z-axis gameplay and some good quake/UT-esque gameplay when I first heard of Titanfall my interest was piqued. Unfortunately they totally fell short by modeling all the weapons damage models and feel in the COD shell instead of having some balling Arena style beam/rocket weapons.

I was looking forward to this game, played it for a few hours and found it seriously lacking in depth. The grunt/sentinel additions make this game play oddly closer to a DOTA game where you farm creeps to get items (your titan drop) than a high energy arena shooter.

The movement system is one of the closest strafe jumping analogs i've seen considering the excellent acceleration you get from consecutive wall runs, add in stim pack and you get some really good velocity. Unfortunately the movement system is hindered heavily by some awful gunplay.

I've been playing the Beta over the weekend like many of you and echo many of the opinions expressed here.

Don't get me wrong, it's a solid game and there's time for them to tweak it but it's not as revolutionary as some of the gaming press would have us believe. There's just something lacking.

Does having Titans really change anything? Is there really a Pilot vs. Titan dynamic or is it just another character vs. character gun-fight? What do the mechs actually bring to the table?

Does the double-jump/parkour add anything to the game play? Sure you can get high up but that's about it. COD has ladders for that. If anything it just increases the tendency for people to bunny-hop.

Burn Cards are cool but they're just a shot-in-the-arm perk for one life. Not really that big a deal or game-changer.

It's a good game, I just don't think it's "great" and certainly not different or good enough to dethrone anything at the moment and nor is it going to shake up the FPS genre. In fact, I'd say it's pretty generic to be honest.

mwll rip, the best mech game ever. this game is a meh cash grab and we know it.

Well at least there's a demo and i know i won't buy it. Maybe because i'am almost 40's me eyes are bleeding and i always get the impression that the other player is on SPEED+CRACK+ENERGY DRINK.. at the same time LOL!AZZ!

This game is fucking amazing. I sat down to play a "few" games and ended up playing 25. The feel and freedom of movement as a pilot is incredible and the only thing I can really compare it too is something like UT/Warsow, (not so much quake). The game feels nice, solid and smooth but that's a given being it's the source engine.

The Titan's are cool as hell and they don't feel over-powered or incredibly cumbersome. At this stage in beta I'd say things are pretty well balanced my only gripe is I wish the games lasted a bit longer. I had the top score in every game I played and I had plenty of "oh shit' or "that was fucking awesome" moments. The Titan's do add a unique angle to the game as there were a couple of times where it was something like 190 - 210 and one or two people on our team got into Titan's, used them properly and we ended up pulling out the W.

I'm looking forward to seeing the additional maps, weapons and unlocks.

Fuck Call of Duty, Fuck Battlefield...TITANFALL.

After reading some of these comments I'm really surprised at all the negative backlash this game is getting. We've been getting the same old modern combat bullshit games for the past like 6 years and the multiplayer-FPS scene has been kind of stagnant. This game pushes genre forward unlike anything we've had in probably the past 8 years....

Really, really wanted to like Titanfall, but this game is just way to consolized (not that surprised)
Oh well, so much for a BF4 replacement, the children can have this tripe.

I don't see how this is consolized by any stretch of means. The game is made to be played with a mouse and keyboard. The movement as a pilot is highly highly technical and there's no way you can have the freedom of movement and the ability to pull off whats possible with an analog stick or a controller.

You guys make me sad. I feel like [H] just pisses all over everything lately.

I've been playing the Beta over the weekend like many of you and echo many of the opinions expressed here.

Don't get me wrong, it's a solid game and there's time for them to tweak it but it's not as revolutionary as some of the gaming press would have us believe. There's just something lacking.

Does having Titans really change anything? Is there really a Pilot vs. Titan dynamic or is it just another character vs. character gun-fight? What do the mechs actually bring to the table?

Does the double-jump/parkour add anything to the game play? Sure you can get high up but that's about it. COD has ladders for that. If anything it just increases the tendency for people to bunny-hop.

Burn Cards are cool but they're just a shot-in-the-arm perk for one life. Not really that big a deal or game-changer.

It's a good game, I just don't think it's "great" and certainly not different or good enough to dethrone anything at the moment and nor is it going to shake up the FPS genre. In fact, I'd say it's pretty generic to be honest.

Pretty much. This game is only about being able to fight with a mech. Nothing more.
Once that wears off people will go back to whatever games they were playing before this.

The combat outside of the mechs is on a level below COD.

I'm not gonna say what has already been said to death, but I would like to add how glad I am they put a demo out. I was about to plop down money on this day of release.

The combat outside of the mechs is on a level below COD.

That's absolutely not true. It's way more technical than CoD or Battlefield. Being a Pilot is a lot of run and due to the "liquid" movement being on foot vs. mechs in incredibly rewarding. The games "on-foot' mechanics are way more intuitive than CoD or BF. It's LIGHTYEARS ahead of CoD.

Like I said in my previous post the freedom of movement and the technical abilities granted to you via wall running, double jumps and your movement speed is something similar to UT or Warsow.

You lack a specific male reproduction organ if you use the "smart" pistol. end of story.

Overall, I'm having fun with the beta. I can't say it's worth $60 considering there is no single player and I can see the MP getting old quick.

Performance: 6048x1080, 2xMSAA, All Maxed and it rarely dips below 60fps.

R9 290 @ 1100/1400.

That's absolutely not true. It's way more technical than CoD or Battlefield. Being a Pilot is a lot of run and due to the "liquid" movement being on foot vs. mechs in incredibly rewarding. The games "on-foot' mechanics are way more intuitive than CoD or BF. It's LIGHTYEARS ahead of CoD.

Like I said in my previous post the freedom of movement and the technical abilities granted to you via wall running, double jumps and your movement speed is something similar to UT or Warsow.

Games like UT and Quake didn't need mechs. The purpose of those games were clear.
In this game, Titans and grunts are a distraction from what the purpose of the game is.

When I shoot, it must be a real player! Shooting at grunts is a waste of energy and adds nothing to the game.
Bringing down a Titan adds nothing to the game.

There has to be something more than just getting in and out of a Titan.
For example, only Titans can destroy structures to objectives so pilots can gain access to them, and other types of destruction can give pilots access to new areas on the map.
Enemy Titans should have the ability to be hacked. 12 v 12 and limiting the amount of Titans on the map will increase the value of them.
Right now, anyone can have a Titan which makes them feel disposable, but this works for console gamers.

Using the Source engine limited creativity. It's great for MP mechanics but not so great for dynamic gameplay.

Agree to disagree, I guess. I really wouldn't say it's "way more technical" simply because there's the ability to wall-run and double jump. Essentially all those allow you to do is get to a high location faster, and sometimes evade gunfire better. You can just as easily play the game without utilizing wall-run and double jump and still do well. Yes, they are fun, but I don't see either of them as a "game changer" like some people seem to. Then again, I've played Tribes so it's not really super impressive to me, anyway. :p

Speaking of which, a game like this but with skiing like in Tribes would be cool. Right now as a Pilot you are a little too slow to avoid Titans unless you can run into a building, but with skiing it could add a whole new level of assault against them.

After reading some of these comments I'm really surprised at all the negative backlash this game is getting. We've been getting the same old modern combat bullshit games for the past like 6 years and the multiplayer-FPS scene has been kind of stagnant. This game pushes genre forward unlike anything we've had in probably the past 8 years....

I don't see how this is consolized by any stretch of means. The game is made to be played with a mouse and keyboard. The movement as a pilot is highly highly technical and there's no way you can have the freedom of movement and the ability to pull off whats possible with an analog stick or a controller.

You guys make me sad. I feel like [H] just pisses all over everything lately.

Hard and technical movement is consolized. Simple, easy, non technical movement is PC. Console games have always had much more advanced movement with only some PC franchises (Tribes, UT, Quake) clocking in.

Hell look at Mirrors Edge (vastly more technical than this).

A lot of negative console things (quick saves, paid DLC, high lighted items) came from the PC and infected consoles making them worse. A lot of great console stuff, like the movement here, have been saving gaming from PC infections.

Hard and technical movement is consolized. Simple, easy, non technical movement is PC.

This is correct, movement on a console is hard and movement on PC is easy. So if you want to fight the controls, go console, if you want the controls to be so natural and simple that they disappear and you can get into the game, go PC.

When I shoot, it must be a real player! Shooting at grunts is a waste of energy and adds nothing to the game.

I haven't really spoken on this subject much, but after playing for a bit I would say I'm conflicted about Grunts. Honestly, they don't bother me and it feels like the battlefield is more alive with them there. However, they are insanely easy to kill, pose no real threat, and every time you hover your cursor over one and it says "Military Grunt" you are just like..ugh... :p

Spectres are a little harder to kill, but still don't pose a major threat.

Honestly I would prefer if the AI was harder to kill and a bit more deadly, if anything. Right now they are just there to rack up points MOBA-style, though maybe that was their intent.

Bringing down a Titan adds nothing to the game.

There has to be something more than just getting in and out of a Titan.
For example, only Titans can destroy structures to objectives so pilots can gain access to them, and other types of destruction can give pilots access to new areas on the map.
Enemy Titans should have the ability to be hacked. 12 v 12 and limiting the amount of Titans on the map will increase the value of them.
Right now, anyone can have a Titan which makes them feel disposable, but this works for console gamers.

Agreed. Titans just feel like a slightly bigger soldier right now. It is fun getting in and out of them because the animations are pretty cool, but you don't really feel all that powerful inside of one, since they get killed in like less than a minute anyway (typically). However, to balance the game with EVERYONE having a Titan, I guess that's how they had to do it. It dilutes the experience tremendously, though.

Agreed. Titans just feel like a slightly bigger soldier right now. It is fun getting in and out of them because the animations are pretty cool, but you don't really feel all that powerful inside of one, since they get killed in like less than a minute anyway (typically). However, to balance the game with EVERYONE having a Titan, I guess that's how they had to do it. It dilutes the experience tremendously, though.

If you get killed in a minute with a titan then you suck at playing a titan.

If you get killed in a minute with a titan then you suck at playing a titan.

Well, considering the average Attrition match lasts like 5-10 minutes, and it takes a few minutes to even get the Titan out, how long exactly are you lasting in the Titan? I don't think I've ever seen anyone last the entire round with one...at least, anyone that was actually fighting and not just having their Titan sit in the corner not doing anything.

They die way too quickly, plain and simple. It doesn't feel like you are this badass mech.

Played yesterday for probably 2 hours. Some stream-of-thought impressions:
  • I actually went into the beta with very low expectations based on some of the recent press about it (6v6, no dedicated servers, etc.) and was actually pleasantly surprised. There is fun to be had. Fast shooter with a decent dose of movement.
  • The movement along the Z-axis feels good. I've always liked when games made real use of it. I'm also a big fan of Mirror's Edge so just movement in general really appeals to me. If I buy the game, this will be a serious reason why.
  • The first few games I played as assault pilot and had a hard time actually finding the action since there wasn't much on the minimap. Switching to assasin which has minion detector significantly increased my score. By the time I stopped playing I was first or second place consistently. That is practically a mandatory perk if you want to have anything close to a decent score. All my custom pilot loadouts have it.
  • The enemy minions I thought would be extremely lame, and they are very stupid, but I do sort of buy into the "flow" they create by constantly having something to shoot it even if it isn't much of a danger to you. Enemy players are immediately obvious with how they move and shoot so you can prioritize.
  • The smart pistol.... it's.... really strong at anything other than long range. I'm not sure how they can balance that without completely removing it.
  • Titans do not feel that strong. There were multiple times I actually hesitated calling my titan even though it was ready because I was doing well on foot. I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the beta but I wonder if they get stronger in the full game. In the beta, if you don't know at all how to play as a Titan, you will get taken down very fast.
  • Lag was not too bad considering the matchmaking system.

If I think of more, I'll add later. If you like shooters, you should probably try it. It is much closer to a twitch arena shooter than a large map mixed-combat shooter.

Played yesterday for probably 2 hours. Some stream-of-thought impressions:
  • The smart pistol.... it's.... really strong at anything other than long range. I'm not sure how they can balance that without completely removing it..

One thought I had was that maybe they could make the lock-on a requirement, rather than just a bonus. Right now you can just aim down sights and use it just as effectively as any other pistol. It's actually quite powerful this way as well, so another thought would be to weaken the damage it does, instead.

That might make it too weak, though, I dunno. Maybe make it a secondary at that point rather than a primary as it is now.

Personally I don't think it has any place in the game at all, so I'd rather just see it removed. Seems like pandering to kids and console gamers.

One thought I had was that maybe they could make the lock-on a requirement, rather than just a bonus. Right now you can just aim down sights and use it just as effectively as any other pistol. It's actually quite powerful this way as well, so another thought would be to weaken the damage it does, instead.

That might make it too weak, though, I dunno. Maybe make it a secondary at that point rather than a primary as it is now.

Personally I don't think it has any place in the game at all, so I'd rather just see it removed. Seems like pandering to kids and console gamers.

Meh. I don't think it is OP because I find it actually not that great against other players who are moving a lot (dramatically increasing lock on time) and are returning fire but it utterly dominates minions. Realistically though, if they completely removed it from the game, I would be fine with that. I just think it would be very very hard to balance right now with how much you are rewarded for minion kills.

Back