Titanfall - Respawn Entertainment's first game

Anyone else get the Stryder Titan burn card? It lets you call a Titan right when he match starts, which is a huge advantage for your team.

It doesn't have as much armor as a standard Titan, but it can Dash 3 times and the Core ability recharges it insanely quick.

Regardless, I've only gotten it once out of maybe 40 cards, so I'm assuming it's pretty rare.

Anyone else get the Stryder Titan burn card? It lets you call a Titan right when he match starts, which is a huge advantage for your team.

It doesn't have as much armor as a standard Titan, but it can Dash 3 times and the Core ability recharges it insanely quick.

Regardless, I've only gotten it once out of maybe 40 cards, so I'm assuming it's pretty rare.

Haven't seen it myself. What is the Stryder's code ability?

If titans were harder to come by or you only saw a few per match then you would just have a bunch of people running around with anti-titan weapons and they would just gang up on the titan and it would be down in two seconds.

It would be stupid if there were 2 titans per match that had a bunch of hp and armor. Would be too difficult to take down and would ruin the experience. Plus who would get them in that scenario?

Well, it's stupid the way it is now too, so I don't know what to tell you.

Maybe have Titans be deployed based on how the team is doing? Like, as a balance thing for teams that are getting destroyed. Also, don't give everyone anti-Titan weapons automatically. Imagine how stupid it would be if everyone in BF3 just had a rocket launcher on top of their normal loadout.

Not entirely sure how to fix it, but it doesn't really seem that great the way it is now.

i get killed with the gay auto locking pistol probaly 75% of the game when running around as pilot.... guess it's the new "noob tube" lol

yeah giving everyone an anti-Titan weapon + Titan right from the start seems a bit corny...maybe 1 or the other to start...or make a Titan only available after grinding for a bit...but most people are playing the game to pilot a mech so Respawn is just giving people what they want I guess

I don't even bother with the grunts anymore...I just focus on the Titan human players...jumping onboard a friendly Titan is a bit weird as you can't really aim and hit your target very easily because the mech is blocking most of your view

Well, it's stupid the way it is now too, so I don't know what to tell you.

Maybe have Titans be deployed based on how the team is doing? Like, as a balance thing for teams that are getting destroyed. Also, don't give everyone anti-Titan weapons automatically. Imagine how stupid it would be if everyone in BF3 just had a rocket launcher on top of their normal loadout.

Not entirely sure how to fix it, but it doesn't really seem that great the way it is now.

Yeah great idea so lets have tank like titans roaming around and have no anti-tank weapons, smart idea.

Listen, you don't like it, and that's fine. But it's pretty good as it is and I'm curious to see what release is like.

Also keep in mind, and you guys keep doing this. You're judging basically a demo of the game. You can not do that. Not all of the features are in it, not all of the maps, all of the guns, etc.

Also keep in mind, and you guys keep doing this. You're judging basically a demo of the game. You can not do that. Not all of the features are in it, not all of the maps, all of the guns, etc.

Hard to imagine that a different map or weapon is suddenly going to turn the core balance on its head and make everything more sensible. And a month out from the game's release, I think this marketing-beta gives a pretty good ballpark of what can be expected in the release game.

the AI overload is the game biggest weakness for me...just by adding in more human players could have drastically changed things for the better...the 6v6 limitation by itself is not a big deal but by populating the maps with mostly AI it weakens the core multiplayer aspect...Respawn's goal of combining both single player and multiplayer elements into a single entity has weakened the game as a whole

You're judging basically a demo of the game. You can not do that.

a demo of the game.

37c1b462d20d40f3c9c030986b69f6c02a66fae9b5f1b9871cb71daecf26e625.jpg

You guys should enable VoIP. Nothing but a bunch of tweens stroking EA.

They absolutely LOVE the absurd amount of dumb bots in the match because it helps them gain confidence in the game by getting some WORTHLESS kills on the board.

It's funny how the devs said that the game is limited to 6v6 because any more would be game breaking. So then they go ahead and add the swam of AI into the game. WTF is that?

The see nothing at all wrong with the auto autoaim pistol.

It's a joke how easy the jumping is and it's endless. Why could they have not introduced some sort of "gravity" weapon and given it the same characteristics as the plasma rifle in quake?

http://youtu.be/-T6IAHWMd2I?t=8m9s

You guys complaining about the AI just being KDR padding should know that in Attrition (TDM), AI kills are completely separate from player kills and barely contribute to your overall score. In Hardpoint, they only show player kills.

It's nowhere near as big of a deal as you're making it out to be.

Please do tell us what omitted features are going to dissuade anyone's current impression based on the beta, because having played many many alpha's and beta's over the years there is seldom any significant difference between the beta client and retail version which supports the deluge of excuses that always gush from apologists and naive optimists. And really what we are playing is not that different from most retail demo's that used to be released, its a small slice of gameplay which gives an impression of game mechanics.

You guys complaining about the AI just being KDR padding should know that in Attrition (TDM), AI kills are completely separate from player kills and barely contribute to your overall score. In Hardpoint, they only show player kills.

It's nowhere near as big of a deal as you're making it out to be.
Why are the bots in the game in the first place? I'd rather focus on shooting the players as they are the ones that will kill me. Feels like by adding bots you reward people who suck for accomplishing SOMETHING. They also feel like a distraction.

If its so critical to the game to include infantry. Why not have an infantry and pilot class? Infantry gets better weapons, pilots get the ability to command mechs. Make the seats limited or trade off between rounds.

I give the game a B+ based on the demo...some great concepts and gameplay...I'm looking forward to the full game but not sure of the $60 price

I am in the beta and you guys should stop complaining about everything like bunch of b.tches. It is a great concept, they are developing it, it is fun and something different than all the current fps's. If you don't like it then dont frigging play it.
I am not a fan of EA either but stop dogging the game just because they have a hand in its development.

I am in the beta and you guys should stop complaining about everything like bunch of b.tches. It is a great concept, they are developing it, it is fun and something different than all the current fps's. If you don't like it then dont frigging play it.
I am not a fan of EA either but stop dogging the game just because they have a hand in its development.

The fuck are you even talking about? Where are people bashing the game simply because "it's EA"? Admittedly that does happen from time to time, but I have seen very little, if any of that in this thread.

If you don't want to read criticism you are welcome to use the little red X at the top right of your screen.

You guys complaining about the AI just being KDR padding should know that in Attrition (TDM), AI kills are completely separate from player kills and barely contribute to your overall score

I'm not sure about that...I can rake up a high number of AI kills with barely any pilot kills and be right near the top of the leaderboard with people who have double or triple the number of pilot kills for that particular match (tested with numerous matches so it's not limited to 1 particular set of players)

I'm not sure about that...I can rake up a high number of AI kills with barely any pilot kills and be right near the top of the leaderboard with people who have double or triple the number of pilot kills for that particular match (tested with numerous matches so it's not limited to 1 particular set of players)

I agree with this.. I've gotten first place a few times, but did terribly in the mech and with Pilot kills, but I chewed through AI like a meat grinder and still pulled out first place.

After playing for a few hours, I can also reiterate that the AI is far too stupid. 6v6 is also a somewhat limiting factor, but more players = more mechs, and the maps would get too chaotic. Thus, increasing the map size isn't a terrible idea.. I could actually see the game evolving into something even more than just mechs (Call in a bird or a boat instead of a mech perhaps? Or call in an anti-air or anti-mech weapon?). Right now it just feels like CoD with Mechs to me, which isn't necessarily bad, but it needs some tweaking. Another example is that the escape airship takes far too long to come in, and then it usually just gets shot down by the enemy team. IMHO it should fly in faster and have some better shields or something to give the losers a bit more of a chance of escaping.

Also, the damn anti-titan RPG takes a bit too long to lock on IMHO, so you'll get smeared by the time it locks on..

I'm not sure if it was something I was doing wrong, but I got killed in the mech far more times than I actually killed a mech. Doing the rodeo thing is fun for a bit, then gets old. I hope leveling up gets slower, because it seems like level 14 is only a few hours in for the beta.

You could introduce more players to the game, but keep map sizes fairly small, but you'd need to somehow limit the number of titans per map/team. Perhaps limit it to 4, for example, per team, and have some kind of rotating "queue" for whomever gets the titan. Everyone starts at bottom of queue, and depending on how many team related points you get you can move "up" the queue faster towards a titan. Once you've had a titan and it gets destroyed, you move to the bottom of the queue again. Thus, the more teamwork you assist with, the more likely you are to get a titan. Rules could also be put in place (for example, first titan is easier to get due to teamwork bonus, but after your first you can't "boost" up the queue faster). TDM may not have team objectives, so the queue would have to be "static" in this case, whereby everyone gets an equal opportunity at the titan. Also, as someone else mentioned, if one team is getting dominated, give them a "death" bonus of an extra Titan or some extra firepower drops..

Could also scale back anti-titan weapon power based on number of people in the game. If there's 20 people with anti-tank RPGs, then perhaps they do less damage than if it was a 5 person team?

Either way, I do agree with some others here that it has a certain charm about it and is begging to be played more, but unfortunately I wont have the time.. If they play their cards right the game could be pretty dang impressive though. I don't see myself paying more than about $40 for it though, at best..

Last edited:
Also, the damn anti-titan RPG takes a bit too long to lock on IMHO, so you'll get smeared by the time it locks on

that's why I like sticking to the chain-gun...as for Ordnance I use 'Rocket Salvo' because it doesn't require a lock-on...those few seconds of locking-on are a lifetime so I prefer manual rockets...the escape airship time seems fine because sometimes people are not closeby...but yeah 2 Titans can easily take it down but most times I fly away safely because they don't get there in time

game has some balancing and spacing issues but nothing that can't be fixed...I'm curious what other weapons and maps the full game will have...would also be cool if the Titans could jump on top of buildings etc but I guess they would be too powerful...for the right price ($30?) the game is a diamond in the rough

Put the rest of this evening into it, hit level 14. It really does feel like a $29.95 game at best. Game seems to follow the same trajectory as a sugar high - mildly and immediately fun at first then tapers off due to lack of depth. I predict this will be the typical gamer experience with TF:

1) Shoot bots, get titan, shoot other titans and more bots. Run on wall gimmick for no reason just because there is nothing else to do.
2) Complain on forums about the game.
3) Repeat a few times.
4) Quit playing.

Last edited:
I got my beta code late yesterday. But haven't tried it yet.

For some reason, I've been watching Angry Joe lately. He's actually pretty good at picking games apart.

The first 6 minutes of this video told me more about Titanfall, than everything else I have read and seen on the game, combined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8y0Z4F2frI

I'm also feeling a lot better about the titans. Not so much the way they seem to move/feel. But more so in the ways you can use them. He does a great job of showing some of the strategies possible.

The big question mark with this game, which he highlights, is what is the content like and how does that fit into the game's life span?

I'm pretty sure this is going to be a tight, polished game. With good, focused gameplay. But they have been very mum about number of maps, modes, and other stuff. I knew that part, but Angry Joe points this out. It sort of feels like they are keeping quiet, because this game may not ship with 10 or more maps. I also have a feeling it's going to feel a bit light on game modes. With the plan being to introduce new maps and modes every 3 - 6 months, for about $15.

I'm otherwise totally happy with what seems to be lack of customization and amount of choices in kits and weapons. Games are so bloated nowadays with metagame shit and other extraneous extras. BF4 is the worst offender. The core game is a blast. But there is just way too much crap. It actually detracts from the game to have 100 guns and 2,000 different rewards/patches/medals/kudos/etc. and there is waaaay too much overlap on the kits. I just want an distilled class based experience with asymmetric balance on the kits. Titanfall seems to fit that bill fairly well.

I'll post back with beta impressions soon enough.

I'm otherwise totally happy with what seems to be lack of customization and amount of choices in kits and weapons. Games are so bloated nowadays with metagame shit and other extraneous extras. BF4 is the worst offender. The core game is a blast. But there is just way too much crap. It actually detracts from the game to have 100 guns and 2,000 different rewards/patches/medals/kudos/etc. and there is waaaay too much overlap on the kits.

I agree with you on BF4 (so many guns, so minor differences), which is also why I feel games don't need a bazillion different game modes. If there were player-run servers, go for it, but from what I understand this game will only have what I think the kids refer to as 'matchmaking'. Each split makes it harder to fill up a game quickly. Granted, games are quick (which makes matchmaking work better, no doubt part of the design).

Find the core modes that are good, leave the rest on the floor.

If you want to go mad with customization, do the cosmetic thing. That doesn't split the community and the kids love it. "My titan is PINK with a MLP sticker on the side and a Hello Kitty backpack!"

I got my beta code late yesterday. But haven't tried it yet.

For some reason, I've been watching Angry Joe lately. He's actually pretty good at picking games apart.

The first 6 minutes of this video told me more about Titanfall, than everything else I have read and seen on the game, combined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8y0Z4F2frI

I'm also feeling a lot better about the titans. Not so much the way they seem to move/feel. But more so in the ways you can use them. He does a great job of showing some of the strategies possible.

The big question mark with this game, which he highlights, is what is the content like and how does that fit into the game's life span?

I'm pretty sure this is going to be a tight, polished game. With good, focused gameplay. But they have been very mum about number of maps, modes, and other stuff. I knew that part, but Angry Joe points this out. It sort of feels like they are keeping quiet, because this game may not ship with 10 or more maps. I also have a feeling it's going to feel a bit light on game modes. With the plan being to introduce new maps and modes every 3 - 6 months, for about $15.

I'm otherwise totally happy with what seems to be lack of customization and amount of choices in kits and weapons. Games are so bloated nowadays with metagame shit and other extraneous extras. BF4 is the worst offender. The core game is a blast. But there is just way too much crap. It actually detracts from the game to have 100 guns and 2,000 different rewards/patches/medals/kudos/etc. and there is waaaay too much overlap on the kits. I just want an distilled class based experience with asymmetric balance on the kits. Titanfall seems to fit that bill fairly well.

I'll post back with beta impressions soon enough.

hah -- if they think they are going to get people to spend 60 dollars, and then another 15 every few months, they can shove the game squarely up their ass.

I realize your mention of DLC was only your theory, and not a proven fact. They would be lucky to get 30 dollars from me for the main game itself, much less DLC they probably have already sitting in the pipe.

5 hours in and I am having a freaking blast. My eyes are bloodshot, my reflexes are shot, and I am tired. It is that fast paced.

This BETA has provided me 1 more hour of enjoyment than I could stomach in BF4 (seriously I pre-ordered and haven't put in more than 4 hours due to how boring/the same it is).

My GTX 570 is showing its age a bit. At 1080p non-maxed I am running around 60-80fps....which isn't cool considering I have a lightboost 120hz monitor that I subsequently am not taking full advantage of.

Thinking of grabbing a 770 or the like (I wish ATI prices would come back to earth).

OPEN BETA now....hop in. It is a blast

man I love how people are so specific with the prices they would put on a game...if only every utility curve could be plotted with such imagined accuracy :rolleyes:

Played the beta for a few hours last night and I do like the concept. I am full agreement with others who have stated the game should be priced at $30 and not $60. Definitely doesn't feel like a $60 game and I won't be pre-ordering either. Going to wait for the game to go on sale later this year.

So you can only play one Map?

Different Maps might make the game more fun say on Mars or something..

Got my Xbox one key last night up to lvl 9. Really liking the game but as others have said there isn't enough to justify the 60 dollar price tag. Got my PC beta key this morning and will be installing it on my PC to try out when I get home to see the difference in how they look and play. As there both hooked up to my projector I'll be able to give a good comparison of how they look. Game does slow down a bit in areas on my Xbox One. Hope that's just the beta. I'll see tonight if it does it in the same places on my PC. Oh and I love being able to Rodeo a Titain and Kill it.

Well, I got into the PC beta when it started and really enjoyed it. Decided to download it on X1 today too now that they opened it up. What a difference! The Xbox versions controls are seriously fucked. They feel incredibly floaty. With analog drift on they are horrible, but turning them off they still feel really bad. Also, four options for sensitivity? What happened to 1 - 10 like every other game ever?

Not sure if I'll be getting this, but if I do, at least I know what platform :)

I've played it a bit on both the PC and Xbox One. The Xbox version isn't missing much graphics-wise. The resolution is clearly a little lower and the FOV is stuck at 70, but it still feels 95% the same. Plus, IMO, the controls lend themselves toward a pad. There isn't a ton of aiming precision needed. The mild acceleration on the analog stick helps, too.

I'm still irritated at how the PC version's vsync is broken. That's never a good sign as most games that have issues like that either never or take forever to fix it.

The concept of the game is pretty neat and I can see the game grabbing casual players very quickly. I'm not sure if it's anything I'd play much over the long haul, but it seems like a fun distraction.

I compressed my Titanfall beta folder, and found out the actual size of it is 8GB vs the 12GB install, so this explains some of the 'good download speed from Origin'. More interestingly, it's already the size of a DL DVD so we have to assume it will ship with at least one more disc. That means either ~4.5GB or ~8GB more data if they stick to two discs which is the norm.

WARNING! APPROXIMATION FOLLOWS!

The maps "Fracture" and "Angel City" compress to ~1.62GB together (not very much compression -- which is to be expected). This leads to the following conclusion:

The game will ship with at most floor(4.5/0.81)=~5 maps more per extra DVD layer, so: 2+5=7 maps if shipped on one DL+SL DVD, or 2+9=11 maps if shipped on 2 DL DVDs.

This is assuming they don't add any more large resources. I expect they'll use a few GiBs for intro/ending video (biks) so probably less than ten maps unless they go to three discs.

I'm still irritated at how the PC version's vsync is broken. That's never a good sign as most games that have issues like that either never or take forever to fix it.

Yes, Good Lord, WTF is wrong with that snapping shit.
The page tearing is absolutely horrid. It's amazing I put 4 hours into this yesterday. I've never seen a game do it this bad before. It's really terrible.

I compressed my Titanfall beta folder, and found out the actual size of it is 8GB vs the 12GB install, so this explains some of the 'good download speed from Origin'. More interestingly, it's already the size of a DL DVD so we have to assume it will ship with at least one more disc. That means either ~4.5GB or ~8GB more data if they stick to two discs which is the norm.

The maps "Fracture" and "Angel City" compress to ~1.62GB together (not very much compression -- which is to be expected). This leads to the following conclusion:

The game will ship with at most floor(4.5/0.81)=~5 maps more per extra DVD layer, so: 2+5=7 maps if shipped on one DL+SL DVD, or 2+9=11 maps if shipped on 2 DL DVDs.

This is assuming they don't add any more large resources. I expect they'll use a few GiBs for intro/ending video (biks) so probably less than ten maps unless they go to three discs.

Resources are shared between maps...

Someone used a hex editor and found 14 maps.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769961

Yes, Good Lord, WTF is wrong with that snapping shit.
The page tearing is absolutely horrid. It's amazing I put 4 hours into this yesterday. I've never seen a game do it this bad before. It's really terrible.

A temporary work around is to force vsync in the Nvidia panel or with RadeonPro. It's still not quite perfect, but the default in-game one is so jerky it's MUCH better. Lowering the AA a bit also helps, too. Even though I can max it out and still pull 60fps, those higher AA settings seem to make mouselook even choppier than it already is.
Hopefully that's one of those features that is truly in beta and isn't finished.

Back