Titanfall - Respawn Entertainment's first game

If anyone has got an extra code I'd be happy to take it off your hands. Please don't post it in this thread because a bot/ninja will surely grab it...

Gee, I sure wish it would have let me play that long tutorial section when the servers were down last night, instead of having reliance on being online for a single-player tutorial... :rolleyes:

Seems alright so far...the smart pistol thing is stupid, but other than that it seems like a fairly straightforward shooter. Just makes me want a sequel to BF2142 even more.

Also the VSync issue is fucking stupid. If you turn it on the game is unplayable, but with it off the tearing is unbelievable. Why is it so hard to implement VSync properly these days?

Also the VSync issue is fucking stupid. If you turn it on the game is unplayable, but with it off the tearing is unbelievable. Why is it so hard to implement VSync properly these days?

I disabled V-Sync in-game but enabled Adaptive V-Sync in my Nvidia Control Panel...works fine this way

If anyone has got an extra code I'd be happy to take it off your hands. Please don't post it in this thread because a bot/ninja will surely grab it...

Get on EA support, tell them you got an xbox code instead of a PC one, they'll give you a code with no questions asked.

I gotta say, this does basically feel like CoD: Mech Edition...has a VERY similar feel to CoD in general, and though the freerunning/jumping stuff is kinda cool, it doesn't really make it feel that much different.

Still a fair amount of fun though. I might consider picking it up for $20 or less, only if I knew other people who played it...playing with randoms is just a massive clusterfuck with no real teamwork, as usual.

I will say the graphics look pretty good for Source engine, and it seems to run at 60+ FPS at all times for me.

the graphics and movement of the mechs is really nice...if you look too close at the other textures you'll see their flaws but when moving around fast you won't notice...I wish they had bound the sprint function of the mechs and the pilots to the same key...having 2 separate keys takes some getting used to when switching back and forth

I gotta say, this does basically feel like CoD: Mech Edition...has a VERY similar feel to CoD in general, and though the freerunning/jumping stuff is kinda cool, it doesn't really make it feel that much different.

Still a fair amount of fun though. I might consider picking it up for $20 or less, only if I knew other people who played it...playing with randoms is just a massive clusterfuck with no real teamwork, as usual.

I will say the graphics look pretty good for Source engine, and it seems to run at 60+ FPS at all times for me.

Agreed. While I was playing I was thinking that in addition to the parkor stuff it would be cool if they had a more Tribes-esque style of movement system. It would require a massive redesign of the levels, but a combination of all of that stuff sounds like it would be really fun. Plus, just imagine skiing mechs.

Agreed with Maverick but, while the game is actually pretty well balanced (minus the smart pistol) it is simply far, far too easy. In fact I've never played a multiplayer game that is easier than this.

It isn't worth the initial price tag to me, but I'll say that it is a very nicely polished game for being this close to release.

Nah, COD is definitely easier. It's just a bunch of running around and either hoping you see them first, or catch them from behind.

With this you have a chance of ducking behind a corner or running up a building or something.

Jump kick(kicking in general) needs a hard nerf. It's the equivalent of running straight at a guy with a knife and being able to kill him before he kills you.

the game is actually pretty well balanced (minus the smart pistol) it is simply far, far too easy.

What exactly does it mean that the game is too easy?

That your team win almost every game?
That you are on top of the scoreboard almost every game?
That you seldom die? Would dying more often make the game more fun?
That the consequences of dying is too low? (Last Titan Standing excepted)

Jump kick(kicking in general) needs a hard nerf. It's the equivalent of running straight at a guy with a knife and being able to kill him before he kills you.

Yeah it does. People are already just running around cloaked and kicking you in the back for instant kill.

I played again today and this game is not for me. I cancelled my preorder.

It's pretty fun overall, couple tweaks and it could be a solid purchase when it hits a sale imo.

Yeah it does. People are already just running around cloaked and kicking you in the back for instant kill.

I played again today and this game is not for me. I cancelled my preorder.

You can still hear them though, even silenced pistols are pretty noticeable (with headphones anyway).

But I still agree about kicking, at least front kicks shouldn't be an instant kill.

Got my key, downloading now. Looking forward to trying the game.

I think the 'mech' genre will be well covered with Hawken, MWO, and now Titanfall - at least until a new 2143 comes out :D

So I tried it for a couple hours.

Complete shit. Movement sucks. Gunplay sucks. 5min matches with 3 minutes in between. It feels like bad COD clone combined with a bad Hawken clone. Guess it isn't for me.

I can safely say I'm having more fun with this than I ever did with BF3 or BF4. Only variable now is how many maps and variety they can implement and launch plus DLC possibilities. Not sure how quickly this would get stale, but so far, so good.

Since it's multiplayer only and $60... I'd hope there's at least 10 maps with a wide array of unlockable items.

Just played for a couple hours and I can honestly say, as someone who was really excited for this game and its release, that the game is very mediocre.

What I like:

- graphics
- smooth gameplay
- parkour elements
- Titans
- Fast paced

What I don't like:

- gunplay -- the weapons have zero recoil and aren't really fun to use.
- Artistic Style -- the game is just too damn gray, everywhere.
- Easy -- combine little recoil with stealth/cloak and 1-hit melee and you get = terrible
- Stealth/cloak-- this never works well in a MP shooter ( Killzone says hi!) and it doesn't really translate here either.
- AI bots -- they are everywhere and the are little to no use as a teammate and are boring to mow down as an enemy
- Finding an actual human to kill can be tedious
- Aim assist-- yes there is some aim assist built in , I can feel it.
- Auto-headshotting-lock-on-pistol -- fail!
- Matches are too short.

Man I was really stoked for this game and I can see it be a hit on the Xbone for a number of reasons (aim assist and built in auto targeting weapons, etc) and the fact it is super easy to kill anything (titan, AI, another player). I am cancelling my pre-order. This has console shit written all over it.

So I tried it for a couple hours.

Complete shit. Movement sucks. Gunplay sucks. 5min matches with 3 minutes in between. It feels like bad COD clone combined with a bad Hawken clone. Guess it isn't for me.

You made it farther than me. I played 4 matches before I uninstalled this garbage.

lolol no recoil guns, everything dies in 3 seconds or less

Everything else aside, the assload of AI running around doing NOTHING is the most pointless thing I have ever seen in a game.

What exactly does it mean that the game is too easy?

That your team win almost every game?
That you are on top of the scoreboard almost every game?
That you seldom die? Would dying more often make the game more fun?
That the consequences of dying is too low? (Last Titan Standing excepted)

Meaning my first game I went against a full level 14 team and beat the shit out of them. The subsequent games were the same with zero challenge. There's a lot of hand holding involved (that pistol, seriously) to where it makes my complaints about Battlefield 3 and 4 same issues seem like it's an Arma-type simulator in comparison. It is very easy to kill anyone, titans included, and even more so when you have the tiniest bit of self preservation.

I played it for a few hours and have absolutely no interest in going back to it. It is very serious competition for Call of Duty, that much is obvious, and I think it will bring some change to the stale-as-fuck genre, so in that respect I'm quite happy with what they've done. I'd still like to play it from time to time but there's no way in hell I'm paying more than $20-25 for this.

Edit: And the color palette. What the fuck? Haven't any of these people played Trine? Color is good!

Meaning my first game I went against a full level 14 team and beat the shit out of them. The subsequent games were the same with zero challenge.

That doesn't mean the game is easy. It just means you're better than whoever you were playing against.

So if the characters were colorful robots a la UT you guys would be cool with the no recoil/fast paced/easy to kill someone weapons? Y'all can be pretty shallow. It's meant to be a fast paced arcade type of shooter. To say it's bad for being what it's meant to be doesn't make sense to me. That's like saying Arma 3 sucks because you don't like realistic shooters.

You can still hear them though, even silenced pistols are pretty noticeable (with headphones anyway).

But I still agree about kicking, at least front kicks shouldn't be an instant kill.

I wasn't hearing them at all on my Klipsch 2.1 setup.

After a whole day of playing and I really wanted to like it this is what will be keeping me from buying it.

1st: 6v6 you can say what you want defend it as much as you like and the Developers can feed you shit about how it is the best thing for the game, you won't convince me it's too few looking around for human players in a Multiplayer only game is ridciouls

2nd: Bots while the idea sounds good on paper it didn't perform well, they are too dump seriously the worst A.I. I have ever seen most of the time they are either standing there like a pillar or just running like a headless chicken. if I want immersion I will play an RPG.

3rd: The Titans they feel way too human like it's too fast too mobile I understand it's in the future but a freaking walking Suit of Armor should have weight to it, and the second thing they are too weak, yes we have not seen the full customization for them yet but from what I experienced it's not that cool basically and amplified soldier.

4th: I seriously hope not but if all maps are this small then what's the point of the titans anyway ? they just feel forced in these close quarter maps.

5th: as a site pointed out it's just an FPS game for people that are bad at FPS games no recoil no feel just spray and pray with auto aim pistol I mean no.

anyway that's just my opinion you may love the heck out of it but from the moment I saw it at E3 I knew not to expect much, but if in the future they add dedicated servers and custom maps with 32 players and no bots this game could be something.

That doesn't mean the game is easy. It just means you're better than whoever you were playing against.

Like I said in my post, there's a lot of hand holding going on. I generalized the response everyone else is making about zero recoil, practically harmless AI, etc into that comment. There's really zero learning curve after you go through the forced tutorial (not a bad thing) and going against people offers a hardly different experience from bots because of how effortlessly opponents die.

Everything else aside, the assload of AI running around doing NOTHING is the most pointless thing I have ever seen in a game.

The impression I get is the AI bots are just there a) for technical reasons so it can run on consoles, b) so console kids can feel good about themselves and always get a 3.0+ KDR no matter what.

its basically an even more EZmode Call of Duty, assuming that was even possible. Respawn stating that "6v6 is what felt right" just seems like a cop out and spin, because if that playercount "felt right" then why the need to pad the action with bots?

3rd: The Titans they feel way too human like it's too fast too mobile I understand it's in the future but a freaking walking Suit of Armor should have weight to it, and the second thing they are too weak, yes we have not seen the full customization for them yet but from what I experienced it's not that cool basically and amplified soldier.

Glad someone else noticed the absurdity here. For something that would theoretically weigh as much or more than a tank the Titans jump around with instant movements like something out of a japanese cartoon. Something slightly slower and more menacing could do a lot here for immersion factor but as they stand now they're just an XL sized player model.

I can respect that I'm probably just not in the demographic for a slightly multiplayer arcade game, and these gripes are irrelevant for the target audience. But after you've played a game like Hawken where the mechs DO have specific weight and gravity to them, I guess they just feel very silly here.

Hawken sucks. This game is fun. The titans are more quick and agile because it's fun.

Yeah Hawken isn't the best game to use as a comparison. There's a reason hardly anyone plays it.

I think the game was meant to be fun and not realistic. I kinda picked up on that vibe in the training when it told me to do every Quake maneuver to pass the training with the exception of the rocket jump. I even had to run for what looked like hundreds of feet on the side of a wall. So when I noticed that the robots were really fast and agile I didn't get upset as I thought it fit in with the building climbing, cloaking, wall running, shock grenades, etc.

If you were looking forward to reading up on the Mil Spec on your rifle to see what is the best load out for it this isn't your game. I can tell you with great confidence to look elsewhere!

Back