Titanfall - Respawn Entertainment's first game

Ugh, thought I was looking at a new Borderlands for a second with the cell shaded cartoon graphics. Don't get me wrong I like BL but there's nothing particularly new, revolutionary or nextgen about this game. Does MS really believe this will be their great white hope along the lines of a new Halo type franchise for Xbox? Then again I look at the latest CoD's and find the graphics incredibly dated and movements clunky so what do I know, this will probably sell fine with the younger "juicebox" target audience.

Last edited:
Ugh, thought I was looking at a new Borderlands for a second with the cell shaded cartoon graphics. Don't get me wrong I like BL but there's nothing particularly new, revolutionary or nextgen about this game. Does MS really believe this will be their great white hope along the lines of a new Halo type franchise for Xbox? Then again I look at the latest CoD's and find the graphics incredibly dated and movements clunky so what do I know, this will probably sell fine with the younger "juicebox" target audience.

just....wow....

I feel like gaming would be a happier place if this garbage didn't exist.

It doesn't look particularly interesting based on those videos. Seems like a BF/CoD/Brink mashup with mechs.

It doesn't look particularly interesting based on those videos. Seems like a BF/CoD/Brink mashup with mechs.

Well I had zero interest in the game before the videos. After watching the videos my interest level went to about 7/10 based on the fact that it has:

Mechs which haven't been done to death by the big FPS crowd shooters.
Ability to jump through 2nd story building windows.
Speed of CoD but different setting.
I still love playing Quake from time to time and watching these guy hit eject on the Mechs and fighting while free falling was fun.

The big negative was the sniping from top of buildings.

Overall I thought it mashed enough varying elements from different shooters together to warrant looking at the pricing of the Collector's Edition, and nearly go into cardiac arrest. :)

Well I had zero interest in the game before the videos. After watching the videos my interest level went to about 7/10 based on the fact that it has:

Mechs which haven't been done to death by the big FPS crowd shooters.
Ability to jump through 2nd story building windows.
Speed of CoD but different setting.
I still love playing Quake from time to time and watching these guy hit eject on the Mechs and fighting while free falling was fun.

The big negative was the sniping from top of buildings.

Overall I thought it mashed enough varying elements from different shooters together to warrant looking at the pricing of the Collector's Edition, and nearly go into cardiac arrest. :)

Some of those things that interest you I feel the same about

The game looks like CoD / Hawken / Brink got together and had babies.

Im not turned off by this game at all, and I think 6v6, even with AI bots, will still add and give this game a nice tournament kind of feel.

It'd be more intersting if the mechs actually had the physics/destruction that a mech should have.

The lack of the environmental destruction makes them seem very last-gen.

When you're in a giant mech you should be able to go through walls, knock over trees, etc just like a real tank could do.

It'd be more intersting if the mechs actually had the physics/destruction that a mech should have.

When you're in a giant mech you should be able to go through walls, knock over trees, etc just like a real tank could do.

I agree.

While I agree with you 1000% i think most are being hyper critical. We haven't played it yet. This is also their first title at the new studio. I would expect and accept nothing less than those things from a sequel. Keep in mind you also have to account for the engine. Which if people did, they would accept those shortcomings. I am only defending the title from being judged by its cover before release.

This is the team that created COD, but it isn't the team responsible for what we have been given the last few years. They have been gone since MW2. MW1 & 2 were solid titles. This is something new and i'll give them a chance to flop or succeed.

100% agreed.

Environmental destruction should be a standard in modern titles.

While I agree with you 1000% i think most are being hyper critical. We haven't played it yet. This is also their first title at the new studio. I would expect and accept nothing less than those things from a sequel. Keep in mind you also have to account for the engine. Which if people did, they would accept those shortcomings. I am only defending the title from being judged by its cover before release.

This is the team that created COD, but it isn't the team responsible for what we have been given the last few years. They have been gone since MW2. MW1 & 2 were solid titles. This is something new and i'll give them a chance to flop or succeed.

If they were not completely locking down the source engine from mods, I would agree with you. Respawn can have their idea of how to best play the game, but unless they are planning on gouging people with micro-transactions and DLC map packs there is no other reason to remove modding capability from the source engine on PC.

Definitely not interested in buying this anymore after watching these Alpha gameplay videos.

Keep in mind you also have to account for the engine. Which if people did, they would accept those shortcomings. I am only defending the title from being judged by its cover before release.

Why should we be apologetic of their choice of a dated engine for a 2014 title?

I am only defending the title from being judged by its cover before release.

Judging it by its cover? This is hours of actual game play footage we have now for a game releasing in 7 weeks.

Isn't that just a limitation of the Source engine though? This is the first game from Respawn studios, they are licensing Source because its versatile and affordable. Seems like a sound business decision.

Why should we be apologetic of their choice of a dated engine for a 2014 title?

Its a brand new studio started up by 2 guys, and they are trying to mitigate risk on their new business venture. Can you do better?

Isn't that just a limitation of the Source engine though? This is the first game from Respawn studios, they are licensing Source because its versatile and affordable. Seems like a sound business decision.

Its a brand new studio started up by 2 guys, and they are trying to mitigate risk on their new business venture. Can you do better?

I think people are more interested in having fun than how these choices affect the bottom line of this company.

And what are people going to do when the whole level is... leveled in the first few seconds?

And what are people going to do when the whole level is... leveled in the first few seconds?

Varying degrees of destructibility. I'm sure there would be mech proof bunkers, just like there are tank proof ones now.

If they were not completely locking down the source engine from mods, I would agree with you. Respawn can have their idea of how to best play the game, but unless they are planning on gouging people with micro-transactions and DLC map packs there is no other reason to remove modding capability from the source engine on PC.

Source is the most versatile engine we've had on PC and games like TF2 are still going and generating sales years later because of that fact. Choosing to use Source and then locking down mods is basically just a giant middle finger to PC gamers. It's almost laughable really.

Varying degrees of destructibility. I'm sure there would be mech proof bunkers, just like there are tank proof ones now.

Yeah, but what about realism? We need more of that instead of fun gameplay apparently...

Source is the most versatile engine we've had on PC and games like TF2 are still going and generating sales years later because of that fact. Choosing to use Source and then locking down mods is basically just a giant middle finger to PC gamers. It's almost laughable really.

Bingo

Yeah, but what about realism? We need more of that instead of fun gameplay apparently...

I'd argue that properly done destructible environment adds to gameplay. Even limited destructibility like we saw in BFBC2 made the game more fun. Is it needed? That's subjective. The point was that getting in a big ol mech would probably be more fun if you could destroy stuff.

I don't have a problem with purely cosmetic and/or minor damage.

And yet the guy said: "It'd be more intersting if the mechs actually had the physics/destruction that a mech should have."

That sounds like a horrible gameplay plan from the start.

Yeah, really disappointing if the game doesn't have ANY of that.

I just want a mech game thats not a piece of shit . an updated mercs how frikken hard can it be. I miss my massive online battles.

I just want a mech game thats not a piece of shit . an updated mercs how frikken hard can it be. I miss my massive online battles.

I just want a new fps that is skilled based like CS. I thought the BF series would be the answer, nope.

I don't understand how devs don't get it. There is a lasting community of players for twitch based skill fps games like CS. I am just so burnt out on it that I can't really play it anymore ( playing since cs1.3 days, now I mostly play CSGO since it's release but it isn't as good as CS). How hard is it to make a CS clone with aim down the sights. That's all I want.

I just hope this game isn't ruined with shitty lag compensation techniques.

I used to play CS back in they and Half Life TDM before that, I swear those games didn't have any where as bad lag compensation issues compared to games today.

Obviously the lpbs savaged everyone else but it was better than it is now, which is just a lottery.

I just hope this game isn't ruined with shitty lag compensation techniques.

I used to play CS back in they and Half Life TDM before that, I swear those games didn't have any where as bad lag compensation issues compared to games today.

Obviously the lpbs savaged everyone else but it was better than it is now, which is just a lottery.

CSGO doesn't have any lag comp but all of the BF games and COD games do -- for obvious reasons as they are a casual FPS paradise. Right now there are two options for a good comp game, csgo and LoL. BF is terrible and so is Planetside. It's like the devs went " how can I make tha average player so much better, well I will give him this and this, aim be damned"! PC gamers do not want this, and the devs don't get it. I understand on the console where every fps game has aim-assist and players moving slower, etc to compensate for lack of aim, but on PC? Some dev should go to a meeting and say " Hey this Counter-strike fps game refuses to die and people still play it and it is 2nd to LOL in tournament money, why are we not making an upated version of this?".

It baffles me.

There is a lasting community of players for twitch based skill fps games like CS.

I believe this is the first time I see someone refer to CS as a "twitch" shooter. And you say you've been playing since 1.3.

Quake / UT / HLDM are skill-based twitch shooters, CS is not. Most people play CS with extremely low sens. Those who do not, can't do much. It's just how slow games work.

Choosing to use Source and then locking down mods is basically just a giant middle finger to PC gamers. It's almost laughable really.

It's awfully narcissistic to think removing mod support was deliberate tactic to disenfranchise PC gamers... If they really wanted to give PC gamers the finger, they wouldn't release the fucking game at all. Everyone just needs to stop taking things so damn personally.

Just give me what you've promised in the form of great port and I'll be happy. Hell, all I ever want from a AAA port is a properly implemented settings console; all that other gilding can come later (if at all, I honestly don't care).

I believe this is the first time I see someone refer to CS as a "twitch" shooter. And you say you've been playing since 1.3.

Quake / UT / HLDM are skill-based twitch shooters, CS is not. Most people play CS with extremely low sens. Those who do not, can't do much. It's just how slow games work.

If you don't think CS is the pinnacle of competive twitch based shooters and has ben for the last 10 years then you are full fucking retarded. I honestly don't even have the adjectives in my bank to give you more shit on how stupid you are.

Since 2000 CS is the most competitive FPS game on the planet, and in 2014 still is.

If you don't think CS is the pinnacle of competive twitch based shooters and has ben for the last 10 years then you are full fucking retarded. I honestly don't even have the adjectives in my bank to give you more shit on how stupid you are.

Since 2000 CS is the most competitive FPS game on the planet, and in 2014 still is.

nerd-aneurysm spotted. calm down. we're talking about video games here after all.

nerd-aneurysm spotted. calm down. we're talking about video games here after all.

LOL touche I get that. But to minimize what CS has done and still does for the PC community is fucking blasphemy. PC gamers alwyas bitch about 5 hour singleplayer game and shit not working right, blah blah, but what about a game that gets it 100% right like CS,CSS,CSGO. I don't hear anyboyd in CSGO bitching about CTD, game disconnecting, loss of stats, switching to windows 8.1 to help combat terrible developers at DICE and there lack of professionalism and commitment to their game -- this is why the 2nd DLC hasn't come out yet for the PC or the PS3/4 users ( but has been out for the Xbox for over a month). BF4 is one of the worst FPS games I have ever played, and BF3 isn't much better. What I don't get is how devs don't see what makes a game like CS so great and competitive and they don't just re'skin it? Hell just call it BF: Counter-Strike edition and I might buy it.

A buddy of mine who played the shit out of COD4 (amazing game) said all Activision would have to do is release a game with THE SAME MAPS BUT RE-SKINNED and updated to 2014 and it would be the best cod game in the series. I agree, completely.

I don't hear anyboyd in CSGO bitching about....
To be fair, CS:GO does have people complaining about CTD's (extremely rare, usually their fault), Disconnects (Usually its everyone all at once or just a few people), and DLC (Bravo Pack? Thats some cash grab stuff right there).

But I agree, CS is still the go-to for "skill". Unless you're talking about Dust2...which I wholeheardtedly believe that some players have been playing so long that they have simply memorized every possible combination of events that could ever happen, and therefore like playing a supercomputer in chess. :D

To be fair, CS:GO does have people complaining about CTD's (extremely rare, usually their fault), Disconnects (Usually its everyone all at once or just a few people), and DLC (Bravo Pack? Thats some cash grab stuff right there).

But I agree, CS is still the go-to for "skill". Unless you're talking about Dust2...which I wholeheardtedly believe that some players have been playing so long that they have simply memorized every possible combination of events that could ever happen, and therefore like playing a supercomputer in chess. :D

Lol. Agreed completely. My perfect game : singleplayer in the vein of Dark Souls. Multiplayer like Counter-Strike. No fucking micro-transactions, and I hope Gabe Newell is head developer. I love PC games and I have been them for over 20 years but the games we get now are pure shit.

DEVS give me Counter-Strike with aim down the sites.

Way to overreact. I never said CS is not competitive or some dumb shit of that sort. I simply pointed out that it's NOT a twitch shooter. Quake is the king of that thing. People play CS with crazy high cm/360 ratios. It's a slow game.

For the record, I bought GO during the beta and I have been enjoying occasional finals for the past 10 years. Hell, I know plenty of pro CS players.

As for the most competitive game, that would be StarCraft / 2, sorry.

Back