Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS

most of us have been hardware prepared for years. its about time games catch up to us.

Just gonna say it, makes you a bit of a hypocrite to hate one and like the other. They are the same thing. This is why I refuse to use either.

Back on topic. I'm mildly interested at best in Titanfall. However this is a good move from the pc end. Honestly 32 bit should of been dropped after vista. Why there remains a 32 bit still is beyond me. Outside netbooks and lower power devices of course. Makes no sense to continue supporting it on larger machines.

I just flat out hate EA.
After we pc users got screwed out of Madden, after countless releases of games that didn't run right, patches that were promised and never delivered, and giving us pc gamers the piss poor ports of console games over and over and over again...
I'm not touching it.
Unless I can play it first and make sure it can run on my pc without incident, I'm not touching anything EA, and I'm not using their service.

You mentioned all 32bit versions of windows with no caveats. If the server version can do it then the possibility exists that the consumer versions can as well, it's an artificial limitation.
lol, licensing or otherwise, drivers written for those operating systems would likely be incompatible even if you worked around the "soft" limit. since server OSes are outside the scope of consumer use and/or gaming, my point stands.
Also you can't have a negative maximum amount of memory, that doesn't make sense.
that's not what I meant; for some reason I thought the card had 2 gigs of vram, leaving 2 gigs of the 32-bit address space left over. point is, hardware addresses get mapped into the address space before main memory. I don't know what the exact behavior of a system would be in the presence of a titan and 32-bit client operating system, but it isn't a reasonable thing to work with.

I don't know what the exact behavior of a system would be in the presence of a titan and 32-bit client operating system, but it isn't a reasonable thing to work with.

Anyone with a Titan have a spare HDD to load up Win7 32-bit? I am curious as to how the memory mapping would work...

I guess even a 2 GB video card and put in 2 GB of RAM into a system. Just curious as to how much "Usable" RAM is shown and how things behave - in Windows and in games.

Anyone with a Titan have a spare HDD to load up Win7 32-bit? I am curious as to how the memory mapping would work...

I guess even a 2 GB video card and put in 2 GB of RAM into a system. Just curious as to how much "Usable" RAM is shown and how things behave - in Windows and in games.

in the [purely academic!] absence of other devices and so on, you'd still have 2 gigabytes' worth of address space leftover for the memory.

in the [purely academic!] absence of other devices and so on, you'd still have 2 gigabytes' worth of address space leftover for the memory.

So, what about a 4 GB card in a 32-bit OS with 2 GB of RAM? You shouldn't have any address space left for the memory....

lol, licensing or otherwise, drivers written for those operating systems would likely be incompatible even if you worked around the "soft" limit. since server OSes are outside the scope of consumer use and/or gaming, my point stands.

Why would someone write a driver for an OS, that is incompatible with the OS they are writing it for? I see the word licensing in there in the context of writing drivers. I guess the takeaway is server OS's are outside of consumer use and/or gaming, so your point stands?

that's not what I meant; for some reason I thought the card had 2 gigs of vram, leaving 2 gigs of the 32-bit address space left over. point is, hardware addresses get mapped into the address space before main memory. I don't know what the exact behavior of a system would be in the presence of a titan and 32-bit client operating system, but it isn't a reasonable thing to work with.

So you emphasized the point that "hardware addresses get mapped into the address space before main memory." Afterwards you say you don't know how that affects it. You could have just said you didn't know.

I don't know either, but I'm curious as well.

The comments here by David Shwartz and Gaidheal seem to be the most realistic answers to these questions.

Just gonna say it, makes you a bit of a hypocrite to hate one and like the other. They are the same thing. This is why I refuse to use either.

How does that make anyone a hypocrite? Hating one server provider and liking another doesn't make you a hypocrite. Even if you've never tried them before, but are going based on your general dislike of the company's practices, general opinion, etc. It's how reputations work. Saying that is almost like saying, liking one person and hating another is being hypocritical.

GPU memory is registered to the GPU (which is a computer in its own right). It may as well be invisible to the BIOS' address mapping.

Titan Fall looks good, but I just don't really like FPS for the most part. Only 2 I got into was UT99 and Halo.

Why would someone write a driver for an OS, that is incompatible with the OS they are writing it for? I see the word licensing in there in the context of writing drivers. I guess the takeaway is server OS's are outside of consumer use and/or gaming, so your point stands?

So you emphasized the point that "hardware addresses get mapped into the address space before main memory." Afterwards you say you don't know how that affects it. You could have just said you didn't know.

I don't know either, but I'm curious as well.

The comments here by David Shwartz and Gaidheal seem to be the most realistic answers to these questions.

no, you're being pedantic.

Because they are idiots who write drivers with the assumption that there will never be more than 4 gigabytes of RAM.

See here : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg487512.aspx

Under driver issues.

Honestly,

I don't understand why Microsoft even makes 32bit versions of Windows for desktops/laptops anymore.

There is no reason at all. You haven't been able to buy a new 32bit only CPU from Intel or AMD in almost a decade...

IMHO it's a sin that new computers from major vendors still come shipped with 32bit versions of Windows, when they have a 64bit CPU, especially since from Windows 7 and on, 32bit and 64bit versions of Windows have been under the same license.

I've had way too many "friends and family" upgrades where I've had to - in order to upgrade ram, also reinstall Windws 64 bit using the key they already have on the sticker on their computer...

It's time for 32bit only x86 systems to die off.

It's about time. This reminds me of games coming out on DVD, or the lack of games coming out on DVD, 10 years after DVD drives were first introduced. Seriously, what was the last consumer grade CPU to not support 64 bit?

I never understood why PCs are held to a degree that you have to take Joe Walmart into consideration for making your game, given that the last time he bought a computer, Bill Clinton was president. Yet we don't hear people complain that their Xbox One or PS2 aren't really supported anymore.

Nothing wrong with Origin. I've had more issues with Steam over the past two years than Origin, but both have been very stable.

This.origin works fine for me.cant think of any issues i've had in the last year or so:confused:

Back