Titan Z, $1499 and $1599

wonder if these are just sales, or if Nvidia finally dropped the MSRP on these to what they should have been at launch...

Jesus H. Christ. I've been away from the "upgrade game" for a while now, but is this REALLY a requirement for modern high-end cards?

Specs said:
700 Watt or greater power supply with a minimum of 42 Amp on the +12 volt rail.

42A... Fourty-two freaking amps. Wow.

Jesus H. Christ. I've been away from the "upgrade game" for a while now, but is this REALLY a requirement for modern high-end cards?

Titan Z. That's two Titan cards in one. If you're spending that much on the card, you can probably swing a 1500W PSU.

I don't really know who in their right mind would buy these even at this price, but they're both out of stock from what I saw.

Edit: Well, I suppose the VRAM is at least somewhat nice.

Guess they must be flying off the shelves.

I don't really know who in their right mind would buy these even at this price, but they're both out of stock from what I saw.

Edit: Well, I suppose the VRAM is at least somewhat nice.

These aren't cards for people that just play videogames. Professional/compute market.

Not sure what's so hard to understand that every thread about Titans has people "OMG WTF LOL" about workstation cards.

Not sure what's so hard to understand that every thread about Titans has people "OMG WTF LOL" about workstation cards.

From the first link:

Product Description
GeForce GTX TITAN Z is a gaming monster, built to power the most extreme gaming rigs on the planet. It is designed with the highest-grade components to deliver the best experience – incredible speed and cool, quiet performance — all in a stunningly crafted aluminum case. you can game on multi-monitor displays and hyper PCs at high settings and super-fast frame rates and even add a second card and immerse yourself in graphically intense games like Watch Dogs® in full 4K Surround.

Followed by a list of 15 features, all but 3 of which refer to gaming and none refer to workstation applications.

Obviously with that much compute power they'd be great for a lot of workstation workloads but they aren't marketed that way at all, it's all about gaming. That's why they don't show up in the workstation GPU category on Newegg.

So yeah, for a graphics card to play games, OMG WTF LOL.

Sure its expensive, but factor in that you're saving yourself the cost of having to buy a toaster oven.

How do 3 GTX 780's in Tri-SLI compare to this, assuming you don't need the extra GDDR5?

I know I can probably google this faster than typing this post, but is the 12GB actually shared between both die or is it SLI-style where it's really only 6GB x2.

These aren't cards for people that just play videogames. Professional/compute market.

Oh stop with that nonsense, the sooner people stop trying to justify the outrageous Titan premium with the "it's not really a gaming card" nonsense, the sooner Nvidia will stop trying to sell these at ridiculous prices.

These cards use GeForce drivers, not Quadro or Tesla drivers, so in order to get both the driver AND your CUDA app to recognize the main "pro" benefits of the card, DP, you have a LOT of hurdles to climb. Hell I'm willing to bet even OpenGL Quadbuffer Stereo 3D is not enabled on these cards (it's a Quadro-only feature necessary for stereo 3D imaging/modeling) by default.

1st Titan only sold well because early adopters couldn't wait and were unsure whether or not Nvidia would launch another GK110-based part. Then we saw not 1, not 2, but 3 additional parts that were either fully-enabled and faster or much cheaper, which should've insulted all the Titan early-adopters enough to never fall for this again. And as we have seen with Titan Black and Titan Z sales, looks like most have learned their lesson.

Nvidia needs to knock off all the Titan nonsense, sure charge a premium if they like for ultra premium cards, but 1.5-2x more for Titan Z than even comparable cards in SLI (780Ti/Titan Black) is ridiculous. I mean if Titan was also really meant for the pro market, they would retain their value, but instead, we saw them selling for much less than the 780Ti at launch, and now, you can get them for less than a GTX 980. Where is this awesome pro market to snatch up all these bargain priced Titans?

How do 3 GTX 780's in Tri-SLI compare to this, assuming you don't need the extra GDDR5?

Two 780 Tis out perform a single Titan Z vanilla. Never seen a comparison of three 780s, but just two 780s are clipping the heels of a Titan Z.

Base stocks all around though.

can you imagine titan z in sli? you would need a small reactor to power it!

Back