Titan XP vs 1080 TI

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by Orphan Crippler, May 16, 2018.

1. Orphan Crippler

Orphan Crippler n00bie

Titan XP worth the $1500 for games

2. Orddie

Orddie 2[H]4U

i believe in every bench mark it out does the 1080ti. but depends on the work load as to where it will really excel.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  3. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

Value is in the eye of the beholder.

Definitely not worth it IMO. Side by side you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference with a 1080ti.

Chikia12187 likes this.
  4. Chimpee

Chimpee [H]ard|Gawd

For games, nope, definitely not worth the extra cost since they are too close to each other in performance.

5. misterbobby

misterbobby 2[H]4U

Titan XP is basically same exact performance as the 1080 TI. Now if you're asking about the Titan Xp then simply look at the reviews and you'll see it's only a tiny bit faster than the 1080ti. And a non reference 1080ti would close that gap even more. Not sure why you didn't just do literally a couple of minutes of research first.

6. Raendor

Raendor Gawd

Hey guys, the OP post is a statement, so what are you arguing about? Just nod and walk along.

7. {NG}Fidel

{NG}Fidel Fear Monger

It is faster by a decent margin. But personally not sure it's worth the jump right now unless you find a good deal.

8. misterbobby

misterbobby 2[H]4U

The Titan XP is not faster at all. Again though if you're talking about the Titan Xp then yes it's a little bit faster.

revenant and Armenius like this.
  9. {NG}Fidel

{NG}Fidel Fear Monger

Sorry that shit gets confusing but that's exactly what i mean. And honestly you oc the original pascal titan and it can hold its own vs Ti

10. Shadowed

Shadowed Limp Gawd

Titan XPP is 12% faster clock for clock. Titan XP also comes with a terrible blower.

Aftermarket 1080 Ti's are much better in this regard. But as soon as you watercool the Titan, it will outperform by a small margin.

11. doubletake

doubletake Limp Gawd

Bobby is wrong too so don't let it get you down. The correct name (regardless of what other people want to call it) is the Nvidia Titan X (not to be confused with the GTX Titan X, which was Maxwell).

Dayaks and {NG}Fidel like this.
  12. {NG}Fidel

{NG}Fidel Fear Monger

I know that its Titan XP - 1080TI - Titan Xp in terms of stock performance but I often fuck it up when talking or writing it because Nvidia did such a shit job with the Titan in the Pascal line (naming and confusion wise).

13. Shadowed

Shadowed Limp Gawd

They keep releasing far too many Titan variants per generation.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  14. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Gawd

It's easier to just use architecture name. Titan Xp = Pascal, 1080Ti = Pascal, Titan X = Maxwell, etc.
    I'd like to see some benchmarks with Titan V (Volta) vs GV100 Quadro

15. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

There’s two Titan X Pascals. I remember because I blasted the original for not being a full chip. People got defensive for some reason, said I was an idiot and it wasn’t possible, then the fucking full chip came out.

The Titan line should be dead to gamers since the 1080ti came out. The Titan V isn’t meant for us either.

Shadowed likes this.
  16. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

Are you talking about Titan X or Titan Xp? Because there is no "Titan XP."

1080 Ti = Titan X < Titan Xp

17. misterbobby

misterbobby 2[H]4U

I know what the cards are actually called. The OP said Titan XP which is what everybody refers to the original Titan X Pascal.

18. HiryuuX

HiryuuX Limp Gawd

Negative. The 1080 Ti isn't particularly a great value per dollar, the minimal increase in performance for the XP significantly impacts the price/performance ratio.

That said, the XP was popular for the Star Wars models which funny enough had crappy Founder's Edition cooling.

Shadowed likes this.
  19. Shadowed

Shadowed Limp Gawd

The annoying part is Nvidia released a Titan X for Maxwell then a Titan X for Pascal. So people called it the Titan XP to differentiate it from the original. Then Nvidia decides to release the full chip and calls it Titan XP just to confuse the situation.

So I call it Titan XpP ;)

But whenever someone with little GPU knowledge refers to the Titan, they usually have no idea what architecture it is.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  20. misterbobby

misterbobby 2[H]4U

Have you really not been paying any attention? The Star Wars models were not on the Titan XP, they were on the Titan Xp.

Armenius, Shadowed and {NG}Fidel like this.
  21. {NG}Fidel

{NG}Fidel Fear Monger

Lol we all know what he meant.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  22. HiryuuX

HiryuuX Limp Gawd

Lolol ;)

revenant and GoldenTiger like this.
  23. doubletake

doubletake Limp Gawd

Just because everyone's doing something doesn't make it right :U

Armenius likes this.
  24. misterbobby

misterbobby 2[H]4U

Well how about actually paying attention to the context here? The person that started this thread said Titan XP so it's only common sense to use that to differentiate between the first Pascal Titan X and the Titan Xp.

25. doubletake

doubletake Limp Gawd

I wasn't replying to OP though

26. misterbobby

misterbobby 2[H]4U

Are you truly that ignorant? Open your damn eyes and look at the comment that you quoted from me earlier. I was already talking about the OP right there and how calling it the Titan XP was relative because that's what he was calling it. Instead your foolish ass takes part of what I said out of context and then when I quote you on that you turn around and say you're not talking about the OP. Clearly all the hell you're trying to do is start an argument.:rolleyes:

27. Renato

Renato n00bie

Armenius likes this.
  28. doubletake

doubletake Limp Gawd

Damn, I didn't realize you took this so seriously. You spent more effort in that one post than I spent in the last 3 combined lolol

Sorry if I raised your blood pressure over this, it wasn't my intention. Deep breaths.

Also, again

Titan X

29. misterbobby

misterbobby 2[H]4U

And no one's arguing over what the actual name of the card is and you know it. The point that you seem not to be grasping is that the person starting this thread said Titan XP and that is what people referred to the first Titan X Pascal card especially when trying to differentiate between it and the Titan Xp. It's not 100% clear exactly what card he is talking about so again pull your head out of your ass and look at the context here. And go ahead and knock yourself out with the last reply as I won't be bothering with someone acting as ignorant as you again.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  30. kimura14

kimura14 n00bie

Titan V worth the $3000 for games, too

craigdt likes this.
  31. pippenainteasy

pippenainteasy Limp Gawd

From a $/perf perspective, actually yes, If you are comparing potential performance (i.e., on water), the Titan V is worth anywhere from $2800-3500 if you extrapolate the extra performance from the $/perf gain from 1080 Ti -> Titan Xp ;D

kimura14 likes this.
  32. doubletake

doubletake Limp Gawd

The point that you seem to not be grasping is that I'm 100% aware of what's going on in this thread, just as you appear to be; the main difference is that I don't have a stick up my ass about it.

33. Crackinjahcs

Crackinjahcs [H]Lite

Ordering direct from NVidia, with tax (when they are in stock), for a Titan Xp is about $1330. Not sure where you're getting the $1500 from?

And as for worth, it depends on your personal financial situation, the rig you're putting it in, the games you play, and at what resolution. The more information you give us the better we can help.

The Titan Xp is about 5% faster than the 1080ti (according to review by Gamers Nexus). What I found was that in some games the Titan Xp had enough extra juice to get above that 60 FPS break point in some titles at max settings (4k), while the 1080ti was a few frames under. At 1440p with my Titan Xp most games keep my framerate pegged at 144 FPS with just a couple tweaks in the settings.

Also, when I bought my video card you couldn't reliably find a 1080ti for less than $1300 so in my case why not step up to a Collector's Edition Titan Xp for $1138 + tax? It was worth it for me.

34. Supercharged_Z06

Supercharged_Z06 2[H]4U

A waterblocked Titan X (Pascal) seems to have a bit more headroom as to overclock ability than a waterblocked 1080Ti. However, with stock blowers, the 1080Ti and the Titan X (Pascal) are pretty much neck and neck as to performance. The Titan Xp is a good 5% faster than both as others have mentioned. All these cards will throttle if pushed hard (OC'ed) on air, so to get consistent, sustained high performance, water cooling really helps.

Titan V is definitely king as to performance right now, but also ludicrously priced for what it is and the added performance. (+20-25% over a 1080Ti)

If you can wait a couple months, the next gen cards are supposed to drop. Odds are the "Ti" variant will follow another couple months after that. Right now isn't all that great a time to dump $1300-$1500 into a video card with the new stuff in the chute.

35. Johnny78

Johnny78 [H]ard|Gawd

I have my Titan Xp watercooled and runs at a stable overclock at just a hair under 2100 mhz. At that speed it's around 10-15% faster that a similarly overclocked 1080ti. If you're using the stock cooler (which is pretty terrible and loud) the lead is probably only around 5% faster than a good AIB 1080ti. Is it worth the price increase? Probably not, but then again these are enthusiast cards and generally speaking, horrible investment tools.

36. Aireoth

Aireoth [H]ard|Gawd

Titans are only worth it when you buy at launch. Their value is being the fastest card by usually 30% for about 6-8 months before a ti version is launched that runs within 5-10% the speed at half the price.

After the ti launches it's really not worth the price.

37. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardForum Junkie

Or when 1080ti are selling for $1200 new due to miners and Titan Xp Star Wars Collectors editions are selling for $1134 new at Nvidia.com

But overall yeah. A Titan Xp isn’t worth it now. The reference blower is inferior. I recently built one for a customer using an open air Thermaltake p3 Case because the customer only wanted a titan and couldn’t find a normal prices 1080ti. Unfortunately, the Titan Xp was throttling under 3dMark 20 minute stress test and couldn’t pass the 97% required stability stress test due to the thermal throttling. That would never happen with a nice aftermarket cooler option like EVGA ICX or equivalent. I’d rather just have a high end 1080ti with a nice after market cooler , than a Titan Xp that throttles and spins up a noisy fan.

Crackinjahcs likes this.
  38. Aireoth

Aireoth [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, but who here living it up H style (which you can do at any price point) leaves a titan stock, I slapped that bitch underwater and now it doesn't go over 50c running at about 2004mhz with a +700 mem clock.

Though I agree, the ti is the better value overall, and no modding needed to get a better cooler. Plus mining made everything crazy.

39. Crackinjahcs

Crackinjahcs [H]Lite

My TitanXp was hitting 83°-84° C and throttling under moderate gaming load. After downloading MSI Afterburner and only adjusting the fan profile it runs high 60's/low 70's under heavy load at stock speeds.

40. melk

melk Gawd

Bored at work :D

Kepler

GeForce GTX TITAN --- GK110-400-A1 --- February 21, 2013
    GeForce GTX TITAN Black --- GK110-430-B1 --- February 18, 2014
    GeForce GTX TITAN Z --- 2× GK110 --- March 25, 2014

Maxwell

GeForce GTX TITAN X --- GM200-400 --- March 17, 2015

Pascal

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti --- GP102-350-K1-A1 --- March 5, 2017
    Nvidia TITAN X --- GP102-400-A1 --- August 2, 2016