Titan XP black screen error + GPU fan full speed

wahaha360

Gawd
UbPW7Cq.jpg

Spec - i9 7900X + X299E-ITX/AC + Titan XP + Corsair SF600 (600W SFX).

I had a EK water block on, it was working fine and then a week ago started getting this problem. Today, I put the air cooler back on for testing (new thermal paste + pads), the screen goes black and the GPU fan goes full blast while the computer is still on.

Do I have problem with my GPU or PSU, or both?

Thanks in advance for help.

My corsair 600 SF bit it when I ran it with my Vega 56 in my mini ITX rig doing some benchmark testing. I got a replacement under warranty and swapped out the Vega for my old 1080. Not a problem since.

Not sure if the Titan XP is as much a power hog at peak as my Vega 56 was but this was the first PS I've had to die on me instead of just aging out and getting retired.

My corsair 600 SF bit it when I ran it with my Vega 56 in my mini ITX rig doing some benchmark testing. I got a replacement under warranty and swapped out the Vega for my old 1080. Not a problem since.

Not sure if the Titan XP is as much a power hog at peak as my Vega 56 was but this was the first PS I've had to die on me instead of just aging out and getting retired.

I will get a new PSU and check, but I fear it's the GPU that's broken.

Odds are it’s your PSU that’s borked. Could also be a spotty PSU to GPU power cable, but my money is on the borked PSU.

Another vote for PSU. TDP on the 7900X may "only" be 140W, but it can use up to 300W in real world usage (especially gaming). Combined with the Titan X using 230-260W in real usage and the other components in your PC, I think you pushed the power supply to the brink and it didn't like it. Next time, go for a 20% overhead. Look for something in the 750-800W range as a replacement.
Yeah, my money is def on cooked PSU.

Try this Silverstone instead:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075M5T9Q8?tag=anandtech01-20&th=1
Reported for the Anandtech referral :p.

Not really, though. The forum rewrites the link for the [H] referral when you click it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just tried a 1000W PSU, it's the GPU, not the PSU, something is up with the PCIe connector

Back