Titan X throttling

kahless

Weaksauce
I am running a pair of Titan X's in SLI with a 4930K 4.6ghz cpu. Corsair AX1500 power supply.

I have the power target at 106%, +210 core, +120 mem. Temps run about 63C with 80% fan profile. Problem is my boost speed seems to be all over the place, from around 1310-1365. Precision X's reported power usage on card one can sit around 90 to 100 and the second card fluctuates from 90-100 and can hit 105%. If those readings are even accurate. Not sure why it can't just sit at max boost and stay there, my temps seem to be just fine. Should I have the power target at 110% max?

Last edited:
try backing of the oc a bit and see it evens out. could just be pushing that card too hard.

Should I try increasing the vram more? I havent explored the upper limits of that yet. I just didn't know if it was worth it since the vram on the titan x tends to run fairly hot. I have a 200mm fan blowing on the side of the cards, 140mm blowing on the back, and a 140mm above them exhausting.

lowering the overclock by 20mhz stabilized the throttling quite a bit

Throw a custom bios on it and it will not throttle at high oc. I have a custom bios on my cards that removes speed boost.

"Throttling..." I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Try using KBOOST, since you're using EVGA Precision. If that doesn't work then flash your cards with a BIOS using a static clock and voltage table.

With the Titan X, temperatures need to stay <= 60C for Boost to stay capped.

I am running a pair of Titan X's in SLI with a 4930K 4.6ghz cpu. Corsair AX1500 power supply.

I have the power target at 106%, +210 core, +120 mem. Temps run about 63C with 80% fan profile. Problem is my boost speed seems to be all over the place, from around 1310-1365. Precision X's reported power usage on card one can sit around 90 to 100 and the second card fluctuates from 90-100 and can hit 105%. If those readings are even accurate. Not sure why it can't just sit at max boost and stay there, my temps seem to be just fine. Should I have the power target at 110% max?

Hitting power target on my Titan X's (before I bios modded them to 400W) completely mauled my frame times in SLI. It made my games stutter like mad and freaked me out since it my first time trying SLI after a bad crossfire experience. You want to make use you don't hit it. Setting it to 110% is completely safe and I would set my OC so you're a little under it.

In general, without a BIOs mod, you shouldn't have to touch voltage. Also without a BIOs mod overclocking memory will likely just decrease your performance. It's better to use your TDP on your core. Brent Justice did a lot of work on this when the 980 launched.

This thread has great BIOs modding instructions if you choose to do so. They even had BIOs that have been successfully modded and proven out that you can download and load onto your Titan X's. http://www.overclock.net/t/1546747/official-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-owners-club

Last edited:
Hitting power target on my Titan X's (before I bios modded them to 400W) completely mauled my frame times in SLI. It made my games stutter like mad and freaked me out since it my first time trying SLI after a bad crossfire experience. You want to make use you don't hit it. Setting it to 110% is completely safe and I would set my OC so you're a little under it.

In general, without a BIOs mod, you shouldn't have to touch voltage. Also without a BIOs mod overclocking memory will likely just decrease your performance. It's better to use your TDP on your core. Brent Justice did a lot of work on this when the 980 launched.

This thread has great BIOs modding instructions if you choose to do so. They even had BIOs that have been successfully modded and proven out that you can download and load onto your Titan X's. http://www.overclock.net/t/1546747/official-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-owners-club
Just wanted to point out that the bandwidth increase from overclocking the memory on Titan X is not insignificant. In Dying Light I saw an increase of 4-5 FPS at 1440p just from overclocking the memory to 2 GHz, while the core overclock added another 5-10 FPS on top of that.

Just wanted to point out that the bandwidth increase from overclocking the memory on Titan X is not insignificant. In Dying Light I saw an increase of 4-5 FPS at 1440p just from overclocking the memory to 2 GHz, while the core overclock added another 5-10 FPS on top of that.

That's more than I would of thought. I've been meaning to test VRAM speed, mainly to assess if I give a damn about HBM, but only have in firestrike which is a poor test since VRAM usage is low.

I would BIOs mod personally. Then you can OC until your heart's content.

i can also confirm that increasing memory by + 500 to 8 ghz gave me healthy boost of 3~4 fps on average in Witcher 3 @ 3440x1440

Last edited:
make sure your profile does not have power management set to adaptive... if it is change it to maximum performance.... i had a similar problem and this resolved it for me

Back