Titan X sli with 750w psu

TrevorR

Gawd
I'm currently running Titan x's in sli with a 750w PSU. I honestly did not think about my PSU when I bought the 2nd Titan X and installed it without thinking about my psu as well.

It has ran fine for the past 3-4 days and another user on another non hardware related forum mentioned that it wouldnt be enough.

If it has ran fine even when playing games for the past couple days, should I worry?

Ignore my sig

Asus rampage V X99
5820k o/c to 4.5ghz
H100i Cooler
Corsair Vengeance DDr4 16gb (4x4gb)
Samsung 850 Evo 500gb
1tb WD blue
4x corsair 120mm fans
1 dvd/rw drive
evga 750 bronze psu

Is 750w enough?

No.
Since you're already running the setup, you may as well keep pounding that PSU until it dies.

What are you pulling from the wall under load? I'd bet a good quality 750 would be just fine. In my years of dabbling in SFF gaming it's quite clear that what people THINK you need and what you ACTUALLY need are very different.

Yah, quality of PSU is more important than actual rating. Well, unless the rating for your PSU is waaaaaaaaay under.

dam sure don't want to overclock anything for sure....I personally would by an extra warranty with square trade on everything in your box if your going to keep running it on a on a 750w power supply. Thing is there's no guaranty when a supply goes it wont take out the rest of your pc....unlikely with a evga but i bet it happens once in a while....i would run by and pick up a outlet meter local before powering that pc back on...
No way i would risk that much money:) and if i had to guess your running slightly over 750 watts already during heavy gaming...I be more inclined to take one of the cards out till you have a higher rated supply if it shows pulling over 750 watts...seriously

Last edited:
Both EVGA and Nvidia recommend 850w minimum for SLI Titan X's. I'm running a 4 year old 750w Corsair (bronze rated) and decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to an 850w EVGA G2 for my 980Ti SLI cards when they come in this week. It's not worth the risk IMO.

Your pushing it but that is a solid PSU you have.
Tweaktown has a similar setup for their test rig and are getting ~550w gaming.
Overclocked CPU would probably add another 50w or so.
Don't overclock the GPUs and you should be good.

You have enough money for dual Titan X and a 5820k on X99 but you are too fucking cheap to purchase a new PSU?

Some people never cease to amaze.

Besides having enough juice w/ a safe overhead, you have to factor in the age of the PSU. Seems your PSU is not brand new. You go full stress on it and she might just give way one of these days. Not sure why anyone with the amount of money in parts that you have would chance anything on a used 750w PSU. Each of the cards draw roughly 250w plus your system drawing probably 200-210 overclocked + storage, fans, ect.

Last edited:
You have enough money for dual Titan X and a 5820k on X99 but you are too fucking cheap to purchase a new PSU?

Some people never cease to amaze.
Also seems like nearly a complete waste to "upgrade" from a 4790k to a 5820k. Nearly every game would be just as fast if not faster on the 4790k especially since it can OC higher. At least he should have gone with the 5930k to have more pci-e bandwidth for running high end SLI setups.

Will it last? Maybe. But why would you bet your system on it when you can clearly afford to upgrade that PSU? If your PSU goes there's a decent chance it will take other hardware with it, so it's really not worth the risk.

Also seems like nearly a complete waste to "upgrade" from a 4790k to a 5820k. Nearly every game would be just as fast if not faster on the 4790k especially since it can OC higher. At least he should have gone with the 5930k to have more pci-e bandwidth for running high end SLI setups.

Not a waste.

Bought this combo at MC
Rampage V - $195
5920k - $279.99
DDR4 Ram - $169.99

I just sold all my old parts and only paid what $90 more for this build?

The same MC I got both my Titan X's for $715 each.

Oh wait, I am cheap.

Not everyone would agree with this...not that the op even asked:rolleyes:

It's not a big difference price wise and there are games that can use 6 cores. So eh, if you have the money, who cares? It's a better platform for sure.

I have a 3770k at 4.2GHz, and 2x Titan-X's just like you.
Here's my system power draw while benchmarking Firestrike Ultra:

IIhL9Cfm.jpg

My PSU is a Corsair AX1200.

Back in 2009, a friend of mine stuffed a Radeon HD 4850 into his he pre-built computer, which always has the bare minimum PSU... what resulted was the PSU short-circuiting, caught on fire, and fried the entire rig.

The culprit was with the addition of the HD4850, the system demanded more power than the PSU's specifications, taking the PSU far out of its rated duty cycle and causing it to short circuit.

Learn from my friend and don't fry your Titan-X's. It's time for a new PSU.

It's not a big difference price wise and there are games that can use 6 cores. So eh, if you have the money, who cares? It's a better platform for sure.
AGAIN he "upgraded" from a much more efficient platform that overall for gaming would have given him the same or better performance. The 5820k he upgraded to is much more power hungry and gives him no more pci-e bandwidth benefits when running SLI than he already had. If he was going to bother then he should have gone 5930k like I said. Now all he has is a system no better for gaming than what he had but uses enough additional power that he needs to upgrade his PSU.

AGAIN he "upgraded" from a much more efficient platform that overall for gaming would have given him the same or better performance. The 5820k he upgraded to is much more power hungry and gives him no more pci-e bandwidth benefits when running SLI than he already had. If he was going to bother then he should have gone 5930k like I said. Now all he has is a system no better for gaming than what he had but uses enough additional power that he needs to upgrade his PSU.

Again...Know one here asked and the rest of us STILL think he did just fine...just drop it

IIhL9Cfm.jpg

Back in 2009, a friend of mine stuffed a Radeon HD 4850 into his he pre-built computer, which always has the bare minimum PSU... what resulted was the PSU short-circuiting, caught on fire, and fried the entire rig.

The culprit was with the addition of the HD4850, the system demanded more power than the PSU's specifications, taking the PSU far out of its rated duty cycle and causing it to short circuit.

Learn from my friend and don't fry your Titan-X's. It's time for a new PSU.

This is what i suspected could be the case as well....he took one card out and ordered a 1000 watt model so all looks to be in order;)

Again...Know one here asked and the rest of us STILL think he did just fine...just drop it
I have every right to give my thoughts and opinion whether you like it or not. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it is what it is now so he needs to go ahead and buy a better psu.

IIhL9Cfm.jpg

Thanks for this! Now I won't even bother considering upgrading from 970 SLI to 980 Ti SLI. Would be just too much power draw for my 760 watter and upgrading would become even more expensive. Will wait for Pascal...

962W at the wall seems ridiculously high... 574W seems ridiculously low...
I would expect somewhere around 800W.

insults removed

Again, assumptions based on a forum post. Such a highly subjective post, you sound jealous (See what I did there?).

Corsair RM1000 being delivered today via Newegg.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're running a mild CPU OC, minimal "accessories" (HDDs, SSDs, fans, optical drives, etc), and run the Titan-X SLi'd cards on the default GM200 BIOS (1000 MHz core), no OC, you can get away with a good quality 750W power supply. Not recommended, but you can. Power draw at the wall will be ~600-650w while gaming.

Before anyone screams "N00B" at me, I'm not new to this. See OCN. ;)

Been running benches all day with my 980TIs in SLI and seems to be fine on a 750watt PSU. Running my 5820K@4Ghz also, have yet to run into any issues.

Don't let the trolls bother you dude :)

No shit. Some of you guys need to take a damn Ritalin or something. New guy comes to learn, and you talk shit and tear him a new one. Honestly sounds like a bunch of people jealous he/she has dual Titans on an X99 board.

Enjoy your bad ass build OP. The 1000W PSU is probably a good investment. [H] did a PSU write up a while back you can fin on the news forum about PSUs over time and how they start to degrade.

Glad to see you purchased a PSU. Dont get sad... You created a post that was bound to get flack. No jealousy here, as I dont need a dual GPU setup. Hell, I am fighting with myself not to purchase a 980Ti as I have no use for it ATM. Even considering getting rid of my 5930k instead of building it.

And yes, you can get away with a 750w just like some of you stated but over time, its not good. And to chance it with such good quality hardware is pretty dumb.

962W at the wall seems ridiculously high... 574W seems ridiculously low...
I would expect somewhere around 800W.
That deserves another explanation: my dual EVGA SC Titan-X's during the Firestrike Ultra benchmark had 107% power target overclocks with EVGA Precision X.

800W is about right, because when I benchmarked them with 100% power target, my system pulled around 840W at the wall.

Back