Titan quest: how do I restore a character after format?

J Macker

[H]F Junkie
Well, I recently reinstalled windows, and I have the folder with "_charactername" saved, but when I reinstalled TQ and patched to the same version (1.08), I tried copying over the saved character files, but my character doesn't show up on the main menu.

I then tried creating another character with the same name, entering the game, saving & exiting the game, then copied over the files to the folder, and then the character totally disappears from the menu.

Can anybody help me restore my character please?

Did you save the "My Games" folder in your My Documents folder? That's where they keep the backups and when I reformatted just putting that folder back in worked perfectly.

J Macker said:
Well, I recently reinstalled windows, and I have the folder with "_charactername" saved, but when I reinstalled TQ and patched to the same version (1.08), I tried copying over the saved character files, but my character doesn't show up on the main menu.

I then tried creating another character with the same name, entering the game, saving & exiting the game, then copied over the files to the folder, and then the character totally disappears from the menu.

Can anybody help me restore my character please?

If you used the same key that you orginally played with then it would detect your character saves... they are tied to the game key...

I did use the same cd-key, and inside the "My games" folder in my documents, I copied just the character folder, not the whole Titan Quest folder.

Then just copy it after your reinstall and your characters will be there.

|MaguS| said:
If you used the same key that you orginally played with then it would detect your character saves... they are tied to the game key...
Characters are not tied to your cdkey in the way that it saves them on a server allowing you to retrieve your character from any computer. They only link a character to a cdkey so you can't use someone elses save file.

To the OP, since you didn't save the entire My Games folder, did you make sure that you copied your character folder to the right directory of "C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxxx\My Documents\My Games\Titan Quest\SaveData\Main\_CharacterName"?

J Macker said:
I did use the same cd-key, and inside the "My games" folder in my documents, I copied just the character folder, not the whole Titan Quest folder.

Really all you can do is copy it back and try it. If it doesn't work ? :confused: :( Try www.titanquest.net

Their forums might help, but you may have lost your character. TQ is very buggy, and I save my characters everytime I quit the game. I've lost 2 lvl 40+ characters decked out in Legendary gear already.

Be careful.

aznpxdd said:
Then just copy it after your reinstall and your characters will be there.

I did copy the character folder back to \My Games\Titan Quest\SaveData\Main
and it does not show my character on the main screen.

Do I need the old PlayMenu.mnu file that was in the Main folder? Is there some way to get it working without that file?

Impulse2k said:
To the OP, since you didn't save the entire My Games folder, did you make sure that you copied your character folder to the right directory of "C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxxx\My Documents\My Games\Titan Quest\SaveData\Main\_CharacterName"?

yes, to the exact same directory. There is a file PlayMenu.mnu which I see is in the Main folder upon installation, which I did not save before the format & reinstall. I do have multiple copies of my character folder (prior to format), and none of them work. I had made these copies so I could test out some saved skillpoints in a newly chosen secondary mastery so I could see the effects in the other masteries

Do you see the names of your characters and the picture for them don't show up or they just don't show up in the character selection screen at all?

the character does not show up in the screen at all. The only option is to make a new character.

So I tried that, with the same name "Niclipe" started the game, saved and exited after playing for 5 mins. Then I copied over the files which were in my original _Niclipe folder.

Start the game, and no characters to choose from.

Back