Titan overclocks like garbage (throttle issue)

Did you bother to read any in-depth reviews about GB2.0

Obviously, I'm wondering if you did since you don't seem to have an understanding of how its supposed to work.

You also can't overvolt these cards. They don't go past 1.2v, just like GK104. You aren't going to kill them with too much voltage or by overclocking.

I'm inclined to conclude that perhaps there IS a problem with how these Titans are throttling.

Thats what this whole thread is about.

When Nvidia employees agree that there is a problem I don't care what you think.

Nvidia artificially limiting the OC on these cards is pure bullshit. I sure hope AMD doesn't follow suit.

1. Obviously, I'm wondering if you did since you don't seem to have an understanding of how its supposed to work.

2. You also can't overvolt these cards. They don't go past 1.2v, just like GK104. You aren't going to kill them with too much voltage or by overclocking.

3. Thats what this whole thread is about.

4. When Nvidia employees agree that there is a problem I don't care what you think.

1. I do understand how it works...the real question is: if the throttling is a widespread problem, then whos fault is it, nVidia or the individual manufacturers that are at liberty to set the GB2.0 boundaries?

2. And as I stated in an earlier post: they have implemented a so-called "golden ratio" so that they can't be destroyed by owners trying to push them too hard like GPUs of old.

3. That is obvious.

4. Then why post a thread about it on a public forum if you don't care what others say about the subject? Seems counter intuitive for the foundational purpose of a public forum.

What I don't get is that after watching the video you linked and I openly stated that perhaps there was a problem (very informative video in which I did learn a few more things, BTW), you still condescended afterwards. I get you're upset because you dropped a grand on a GPU with strong evidence declaring a problem exists, but that should dictate sound logic in returning it for a refund and waiting until these issues get ironed out. Otherwise, you're not ever going to be happy with your purchase and swinging your sword here is never going to change that. It wouldn't for me, especially at a price tag of that magnitude.

My apologies for any ill emotions, that was not my goal. And thank you for the informative video...again, it has changed my viewpoint regarding the topic.

Best of luck to you in finding a resolution, regardless of what path you choose to tackle it.

Has anyone tried editing the BIOS with the Nvidia BIOS editor to see if locking the frequency and voltage works?

(Not quite sure if the editor is compatible with Titan though...)

1. I do understand how it works...the real question is: if the throttling is a widespread problem, then whos fault is it, nVidia or the individual manufacturers that are at liberty to set the GB2.0 boundaries?

2. And as I stated in an earlier post: they have implemented a so-called "golden ratio" so that they can't be destroyed by owners trying to push them too hard like GPUs of old.

3. That is obvious.

4. Then why post a thread about it on a public forum if you don't care what others say about the subject? Seems counter intuitive for the foundational purpose of a public forum.

What I don't get is that after watching the video you linked and I openly stated that perhaps there was a problem (very informative video in which I did learn a few more things, BTW), you still condescended afterwards. I get you're upset because you dropped a grand on a GPU with strong evidence declaring a problem exists, but that should dictate sound logic in returning it for a refund and waiting until these issues get ironed out. Otherwise, you're not ever going to be happy with your purchase and swinging your sword here is never going to change that. It wouldn't for me, especially at a price tag of that magnitude.

My apologies for any ill emotions, that was not my goal. And thank you for the informative video...again, it has changed my viewpoint regarding the topic.

Best of luck to you in finding a resolution, regardless of what path you choose to tackle it.

I perfectly agree with you :)
And agree that users should bring back the cards.

he is beeing quite arrogant

For last, the reason of throttling cudn't it be a power bottleneck?

Every GTX Titan on the market is made by Nvidia. Every one is a reference model. That means that the bios is also the same, other then a couple of small differences that wouldn't effect boost.

I'm informing potential buyers of the issues going on with these cards at the moment. You've just been spreading misinformation without looking into the problem. I'm not trying to pull the typical flamewar that we see in most threads in the video card section here.

Without any overclock my ASUS Titan is running at an initial boost clock of 1019 Mhz, throttling down to 993 Mhz after 20 minutes Unigine Valley. That's still more than 10% above the specifications.

I added +80 Offset for one run just to test it and got 1097 Mhz boost throttling down to 1040 and then to 1014 later on. I'm using a custom fan profile all the time and fan speed was always between 70 and 80% during all runs, the card never exceeded 66°C

I don't see this being an issue, more of an inconvenience for hardcore overclockers. It's not like the cards are throttling down below the specified base/boost clock speed. Just wait for driver updates i'm sure it will be fine.

1. Every GTX Titan on the market is made by Nvidia. Every one is a reference model. That means that the bios is also the same, other then a couple of small differences that wouldn't effect boost.

2. I'm informing potential buyers of the issues going on with these cards at the moment. You've just been spreading misinformation without looking into the problem. I'm not trying to pull the typical flamewar that we see in most threads in the video card section here.

1. I'm well aware of that. But, since nVidia gives full reigns to the individual manufacturers, have they essentially taken the blame off of themselves?

2. Misinformation about what problem? nVidia clearly advertised the specs that you and everyone else were aware of prior to buying. Yours is running above these specs, even when throttling. OC'ing is never a guarantee. Never has been. Since there are parameters for the boost feature to prevent it from overvolting while maintaining a target temperature at a constant operating frequency which happens to be above specs, then I wouldn't outright consider a bit of throttling as a design flaw. More of a nuance. Perhaps a future BIOS or driver revision will correct this nuance. You're going to have to roll the dice. When it comes down to it...you own and use the fastest single GPU on earth right now, even at stock clocks. If that's not good enough, then simply return it and either find a different solution or buy it again when the nuance is worked out. This is not the first time that a newly released product has exibited some quirks, regardless of the price tag.

Last edited:
1. I'm well aware of that. But, since nVidia gives full reigns to the individual manufacturers, have they essentially taken the blame off of themselves?

2. Misinformation about what problem? nVidia clearly advertised the specs that you and everyone else were aware of prior to buying. Yours is running above these specs, even when throttling. OC'ing is never a guarantee. Never has been. Since there are parameters for the boost feature to prevent it from overvolting while maintaining a target temperature at a constant operating frequency which happens to be above specs, then I wouldn't outright consider this a design flaw. More of a nuance. Perhaps a future BIOS or driver revision will correct this nuance. You're going to have to roll the dice. When it comes down to it...you own and use the fastest single GPU on earth right now, even at stock clocks. If that's not good enough, then simply return it and either find a different solution or buy it again when the nuance is worked out. This is not the first time that a newly released product has exibited some quirks, regardless of the price tag.

I agree with this - if it runs fine at the advertized specs that is pretty much all they have to live up to. OC has always been an on your own type of thing with one persons results not being indicative of others.

Every GTX Titan on the market is made by Nvidia. Every one is a reference model. That means that the bios is also the same, other then a couple of small differences that wouldn't effect boost.

I'm informing potential buyers of the issues going on with these cards at the moment. You've just been spreading misinformation without looking into the problem. I'm not trying to pull the typical flamewar that we see in most threads in the video card section here.

I figured people would of known about this before they bought it. No matter what you do, adjust the volts, change clock speeds, that Video card itself wont go past 265w TDP. Now a bios or something could change that sure, but some review websites did post about this throttling it does. So it's not like something that wasn't known.

I also assume the better the ASIC quality of the GPU, you would have less throttling since you would need less watts (by using less volts because of the ASIC quality) to reach the desired max 265w TDP.

Now if the above isnt the case (and yes granted I did not read the whole titan thread you linked) then I am wrong and ignore what I said.

They really don't, again educate yourself on the issue before you talk.

I'm just going to add you to my ignore list. :)

I figured people would of known about this before they bought it. No matter what you do, adjust the volts, change clock speeds, that Video card itself wont go past 265w TDP. Now a bios or something could change that sure, but some review websites did post about this throttling it does. So it's not like something that wasn't known.

Thats not the problem. Many cards are throttling down to as much as 1.05v which is several bins long before ever hitting temp target or tdp. Thats not the way that the card is supposed to work.

I agree with this - if it runs fine at the advertized specs that is pretty much all they have to live up to. OC has always been an on your own type of thing with one persons results not being indicative of others.

The problem is not the way that it overclocks, its that gpu boost 2.0 does not work as advertised. I feel like I'm talking to a wall.

The video card section in this forum is something else.

Last edited:
They really don't, again educate yourself on the issue before you talk.

Yes, they really do allow the manufacturer to have full control over the GB2.0 parameters. Whether they stick with nVidia's reference model or not is up to each manufacturer.

Oh, I see now. You aren't happy with your Titan despite it being able to operate in a constant state above factory spec, you bitch about it still not being good enough, then are quick to ignore anyone who tries to get you to see the bigger picture here: even at stock clocks, the Titan is the fastest single GPU solution on the planet so just be happy that you are in the position to own one. I got it now, thanks. :rolleyes:

The way I see it people aren't disappointed with the overclocks, instead it's just frustrating that they can't understand/predict what the card is doing with the clocks/voltage at any given time. The clocks aren't bad; they just don't make sense.

My TITAN does some weird stuff too that I can't figure out BUT I can consistently get 15% or better performance increase from stock by overclocking. Time for me to stop looking at the clocks and start enjoying games.

TITAN is pretty much badass.

Thats exactly it and people complaining about it is a good thing for consumers. I'm sure that any effected user would be happy to have gpu boost work like it does in that pcper video.

The problem is not the way that it overclocks, its that gpu boost 2.0 does not work as advertised. I feel like I'm talking to a wall.

The video card section in this forum is something else.

I can't watch the vid at work but I'll check it out at home. What seems like its doing is hitting that max TDP but I don't know.

I can't watch the vid at work but I'll check it out at home. What seems like its doing is hitting that max TDP but I don't know.

Thats the way that its supposed to work. Its only supposed to throttle when it hits the tdp limit and/or temp limit. For many people its throttling long before it hits either and by several bins.

Wait what? Card over clocks past base overclock and people are complaining? Does not compute; logic error.

No, gpu boost 2.0 does not work the way that its supposed to. Its a confirmed issue that Nvidia claims to be working on.

According to EVGA it is grounds for a return.

I'm glad NV is working on it. I don't have the problem to the extreme you and others do, but one of my cards does drop voltage occasionally before it hits the temp or power threshold. Luckily it only drops one bin and my overall clocks stay above 1100 on that card. The other card just holds steady as a rock. Very strange behavior. I consider my cards acceptable, but after reading at OCN what some are experiencing there's no doubt they need resolution because they aren't getting even close to what they paid for.

I'm pretty old school when it comes to overclocking GPUs.

Could someone please tell me if this is the issue that you are talking about?

In precision I set Power to 106% , Target temp 90C and a GPU offset of just +100.

Running 3D Mark 11, I checked the log files afterwards. It goes 1097 , 1071, 1084 and randomly bottoms down to 864ish. (Not sure if this is between tests or it runs some tests slower for whatever reason.)

The temps don't seem to correlate to the dips. Even though I set a target of 90, the hottest it got was 79.

Is that because an offset of just +100 isn't pushing the limit?

If I just increased the target temp to 90C and power 106% , the clocks don't improve.

My card boosts to 1006 stock anyway, it doesn't change with 90C target.

I thought it was meant to increase clocks just going by max temp? Confused. :confused:

Internet FTW. If someone disagrees with you, just ignore them lol.

Seriously Babs, stop complaining about your card not going further over spec than it does. IT runs stock clocks and that's all you are ever going to be 100% guaranteed. Go cry to the board maker and see if they care because they won't as THE PROBLEM IS IN YOUR GREEDY LITTLE HEAD.

You bought a $1,000 GPU. It DOES OverClock. IT doesn't OverClock how you'd want ( boo hoo ). As far as I can see, as long as it doesn't throttle below the 837mhz reference speed or fails to boost to the 876 mhz boost clock under IDEAL conditions, you have not a leg to stand on.

I'ma say it. It's people like you that cause warranties to keep getting more restrictive because you think you are entitled to more than you paid for but heres the kicker, you're not. If you try to bully Nvidia or the card maker into giving you a new card that OverClocks beter. I hope they keep you in RMA hell till that card isn't worth $100.

Heck, I had an old XFX HD 5870 XXX, the one with the highest memory clocks and I didn't request an RMA till I had to downclock the ram below reference spec's because honestly, I could barely tell the difference as with all OverClocks.

One of the features advertised of the card, GPU Boost 2.0, doesn't work properly, as stated by Nvidia.

That is indeed grounds for a RMA if the user feels like it.

Anything beyond that said on both sides is worthless.

Im not sure if i said this on this post, but my first titan could not even hold 50 on the clock without declocking. I exchanged it for a new one. This new one can do 150 on the clock without suffering from the random throttling. The memory on this particular card can bench at 600 alone without throttling.

On the stock bios its max oc setting is 150 and nothing on the memory. I adjusted the power limit from 265 to 300 with Kepler Bios Tweaker, for the most part fixed the performance, enabling me to have 175 on the gpu with 300 on the memory stable.

I really did not want to have to adjust the bios for stable performance but without it I was only able to get half an over clock, which bothered me a bit.

Seriously Babs, stop complaining about your card not going further over spec than it does. IT runs stock clocks and that's all you are ever going to be 100% guaranteed. Go cry to the board maker and see if they care because they won't as THE PROBLEM IS IN YOUR GREEDY LITTLE HEAD.

You bought a $1,000 GPU. It DOES OverClock. IT doesn't OverClock how you'd want ( boo hoo ). As far as I can see, as long as it doesn't throttle below the 837mhz reference speed or fails to boost to the 876 mhz boost clock under IDEAL conditions, you have not a leg to stand on.

I'ma say it. It's people like you that cause warranties to keep getting more restrictive because you think you are entitled to more than you paid for but heres the kicker, you're not. If you try to bully Nvidia or the card maker into giving you a new card that OverClocks beter. I hope they keep you in RMA hell till that card isn't worth $100.

Heck, I had an old XFX HD 5870 XXX, the one with the highest memory clocks and I didn't request an RMA till I had to downclock the ram below reference spec's because honestly, I could barely tell the difference as with all OverClocks.

Huh......what?

He can, however, RMA based on "An Advertised function doesn't work properly", which he is doing and is approved by the EVGA representative.

Blame Nvidia on not having that feature properly implemented in the drivers, as the hardware side of GPU Boost 2.0 is exactly the same as 1.0.

It works both ways. I do agree rmaing a card for the sole purpose of bad overclocks isn't very valid. But I do understand someone's frustration when they get a card that is unable to overclock like similar cards. Sometimes u win, sometimes u lose...such is life!

100MHz can make difference. Depends on what FPS ranges you were getting prior to the OC. 100MHz = ~10FPS, at least on my 7970. So if I'm playing a game for the eyecandy and can't seem to max it out, a +200MHz OC might do wonders in terms of playability.

Guys, this thread is a month old.

I love people that comment with no knowledge of these cards whatsoever. You can flash a modded bios that takes care of this issue but know it alls like compudocs wouldn't know that.

Guys, this thread is a month old.

I love people that comment with no knowledge of these cards whatsoever. You can flash a modded bios that takes care of this issue but know it alls like compudocs wouldn't know that.

Are manufacturers likely to release bios updates to address this or is this something that can be resolved with drivers? This is what my concern is.

Totally agree with you.

With the way nvidia cards are going, decent overclocking will soon be a thing of the past as the vid card companies are binning and then getting the max out of the cards with their OC, Super OC Mega OC and super duper uber mega shithot OC edition etc etc monikers which then leaves very little headroom to do anything.

My 680 classified 4gb has a hardware OC port on it but nvidia freaked out with evga and forced them to stop selling the cards until the port was removed as they didnt want ppl to overclock their cards, boo fucking hoo.

So in my opinion we are in the last few years of being able to get semi decent overclocks out of video cards, nvidia cards atleast, I cant speak for ati as I havent had an ati card for years.

Manufacturers would rather OC the card for you to its limits and then charge you top dollar, rather than sell you a card thats got a fair amount of headroom to OC with.

Thats just the way I see it.

Are manufacturers likely to release bios updates to address this or is this something that can be resolved with drivers? This is what my concern is.

Apparently, there was a driver issue where the card misreports the power target. So it might look like it's throttling at 94% when its really hitting 100%. At least thats what Nvidia claimed was causing the issue.

You can edit the power target with kepler bios tweaker. Thats the easiest workaround. I don't think that the manufacturers are going to up the power limit themselves.

Totally agree with you.

Thats because you don't know what you're talking about. :)

My 680 classified 4gb has a hardware OC port on it but nvidia freaked out with evga and forced them to stop selling the cards until the port was removed as they didnt want ppl to overclock their cards, boo fucking hoo.

Of course what actually happened was that NV told the partner that they would have to honor the warranty on the GPU if they wanted to allow for it to be run so far out of spec, the manufacturer knows there's an increased possibility of failure when Kepler is overvolted beyond NV spec, didn't want to honor the warranty as a result and did an about face.

NV couldn't give a stuff about cards run well out of spec, the partners don't want to honor the warranty - It's that simple. And from NV's point of view it's fair enough, why should NV honor the warranty on products that have been forced to run well out of NV spec?

So wait...if I don't care about overclocking my GTX Titans, do I need to RMA them? Is this a physical issue with the card itself or a software issue?

The way I read it, it's only an issue if they throttle before they hit the power target, temp target or both.

Back