Titan crashing my machine?

CajunPower

n00b
Since installing the Titan, I've been running into an issue where my machine will suddenly turn off during game play and reboot. After running Crysis 3 fine, I began to experience this issue while play SC2. I had fiddled with some setting in the Nvidia control panel which I reset to default and the issue went away. It has since returned, occurring every time I play SimCity, with an irregular period of time between starting the game and the machine shutting off. I isolated the power for the PC with an extension cord and monitored system temperatures during game play and neither seems to be the culprit. I pulled the Titan and put my GTX 570 back in and the problem went away so now, in my mind, it's either the card or the power supply. My power supply is a Corsair HX750.

Can anyone offer any insight before I RMA the card?

Try the card in another system or try another PSU in that one, but you're down to the process of elimination.

Agree with Ranger, the easiest way is to try the card in another system. You will know immoderately if its the card, you could also return it and hope that it was the card and the new one will be fine. It could be so many things.

Its the PSU without the doubt i had the same problem, check your windows event viewer and look at the critical error before the reboot you will see "event ID 41" which is sudden loss of power.

The PSU is tripping when it spikes suddenly to over 60fps it needs clean power.

I had 1600W PSU and did that to me i changed it with single Rail PSU corsair 1200AX and it fixed all the problems.

Don't RMA its PSU 100%!!!

I have to laugh when I see a Titan user dumping a $1000 card into a system with such a cheap PSU.... lol!!

Sorry man hope you get it figured out....

That PSU has a 62A 12V rail. I'd be awfully surprised if a video card needed 700+ watts by itself.

I have to laugh when I see a Titan user dumping a $1000 card into a system with such a cheap PSU.... lol!!

Most of the "much more important than your gaming pc" equipment in this world runs on PSUs that have no brand name labels on them other than the chinese OEM that built them.

lol :rolleyes:

That PSU has a 62A 12V rail. I'd be awfully surprised if a video card needed 700+ watts by itself.

I doubt it is his power supply, unless its faulty, but then he would probably have had problems before the Titan.

Try a clean re-install of fresh drivers for the Titan (314.14). Update your mobo's BIOS. Titan has issues with older BIOS's.

His power supply is quality built Corsair. HX series, one series lower from their top AX series. Its more than enough wattage and its Gold rated.

Also, don't forget to update your mobo's BIOS to the latest version - this has fixed Titan issues for others...

Honestly, the simplest thing to do is to see if the card behaves the same way in a different system. If you don't have another one around there, ask a buddy.

Secondly, while your PSU is more than enough (quality and wattage) for this card, it doesn't mean that its not defective. Honestly that is what its sounding like if you system shuts off randomly since a TITAN will most likely draw more power power than a 570. I would try the first suggestion first, though.

Its the PSU without the doubt i had the same problem, check your windows event viewer and look at the critical error before the reboot you will see "event ID 41" which is sudden loss of power.

The PSU is tripping when it spikes suddenly to over 60fps it needs clean power.

I had 1600W PSU and did that to me i changed it with single Rail PSU corsair 1200AX and it fixed all the problems.

Don't RMA its PSU 100%!!!

Turns out this is correct.

Typical Titan user... jk... maybe.

If by typical Titan user you mean someone who is burdened with copious amounts of disposable income at the cost of the free time it would take to figure this out instead of throwing up a forum post and then throwing money at the problem?

Guilty.

If by typical Titan user you mean someone who is burdened with copious amounts of disposable income at the cost of the free time it would take to figure this out instead of throwing up a forum post and then throwing money at the problem?

Guilty.

The fact that people like you exist means that there is a finite chance that I might some day be one of them, and also means that companies will continue to make products like the Titan. So I say, more CajunPower to you, sir/madam.

It just blows my mind that someone would put a Titan in a system without having top of the line everything else first....it's like buying a Ferrari and putting donut tires on it....

Hey more power to ya man, good luck and enjoy it!

It just blows my mind that someone would put a Titan in a system without having top of the line everything else first....it's like buying a Ferrari and putting donut tires on it....

Hey more power to ya man, good luck and enjoy it!

He has a Corsair HX750, that is a nice PSU, I have the HX950. That is not a cheap quality PSU!

Did you check in event viewer. It may give you a clue to the reboots.

Look for things like WHEA Kernel errors. I had one of these reboot my PC. It means your CPU voltage is too low.

Also memory problems will reboot your PC sometimes. You could just do a quick single pass of Memtest.

Your PSU is more than good enough unless its defective.

I hope you get it figured out.

I am having the same EXACT issue as CajunPower. I upgraded from a 680 to a Titan and now my pc will reboot randomly during gaming. It hasnt happened to friquently but it is still very concerning. My mobo is an Asrock X79M with the latest bios and my psu is an Enermax maxrevo 1350w. I hope someone has figured this issue out :(

My Titan experience:

I upgraded from a GTX 680 to the Titan. No issues at all during heavy game play with the Titan @ 2560x1440. Far Cry 3, new SimCity, War Thunder-You HAVE to try this game if you like combat aircraft!!!!!, I have not yet tried Crysis 3 though. So I cant guess what it is you guys are running into. My PSU is a also a Corsair, though it is the HX1000 model.

The 1 issue I did/do have with the Titan is while HD Video rendering in Sony Vegas Pro 12.0. While rendering anything, after between 10 seconds and 1 minute of processing, the program will hang and crash. Of course, the program ran fine for years with my GTX 680 and before that GTX 670. Turns out, after much much headache and experimentation, in the settings menu, with the Titan you have to turn OFF GPU assisted rendering. Then it works fine. Sadly, the mega card's processing potential is not yet supported in Sony Vegas Pro to assist rendering. What was really amazing is the rendering times with GPU assisted ON (GTX 680) and GPU assisted OFF (ie, now): They are basically within seconds of each other!! So its not a big deal anyway.

Hope you guys solve your crashing problem and sorry I cant help (unless someone here has a Titan and Sony Vegas Pro ;)

since titan is putting a lot of pressure on the cpu and memory I would add more voltage to those 2 components or down clock the cpu if you have it oc'd very high.

TroyX:

Interesting thought:

Right before I went from the 680 to the Titan, I further OC'ed my CPU from 4.0ghz to 4.45 ghz, and to get this stable (on the 680 at the time), required a big vCore increase from 1.35 to 1.48

So when I plugged the Titan in, I was doing so on the 4.45ghz / 1.48v setup. Curious if I would have had problems like the OP if I had tried it on the previous OC/low voltage setting?

So yeah dudes, up your vCore a bit.

Back