Titan and BF3 issues

Island

Gawd
Sup fellas-Can any of u guys with titans confirm the problem I am having. I have the latest 314.22 drivers installed and all my games (crysis3 bio-shock,acm,hitman) all run perfectly.

I fired up BF3 last night and my whole system locked up. I have had multiple Bsods on windows8 all pointing to driver issues. I was able to actually load a single player game just a few minutes ago, but after 5 minutes of gaming, my comp hard locked.

Everything is updated, my cpu is on water, and my cards are at stock, but even overclocked, I can play all my other games for hours. I think it's a driver issue but I would like validation. Thanks

Validation for what? Don't you think these forums would be lit up if such an issue was occuring?

I am running a 3930k, 16gb Dominator Plats, SLI GTX Titans, the latest nvidia drivers, all without a hitch. I can game for hours rock solid on BF3 or any other game.

Sounds to me like you have some more troubleshooting to do. If your system is hard locking so frequently that is obviously a big deal.

If it's just BF3 I would start by doing a repair install through Origin, You could also look at what your sound settings are in the game, I have seen issues with War Tapes mode and certain bitrates through windows. Make sure your audio drivers are up to date and set the default through windows.

So...just to clearly clarify one more time. Do Any of you guys running with titans that have BF3 installed and the latest drivers, have issues?

I have already done everything posted above,vminus reinstalling the game. Weird thing is that I have my old rig downstairs with my 580gtx sli rig, and the newest drivers. I played the single campaign and my computer didn't crash...it just turned off :mad:

this has definitely got to be a driver issue...I really don't play BF3 anymore, but it would be nice that if I wanted to, I would be able to...and to the 1st guy who posted a reply...relax dude....it was just a question...sheesh

Ya try and repair BF3, i was getting goofy problems with my 7970s and that did the trick.

I have already done everything posted above,vminus reinstalling the game. Weird thing is that I have my old rig downstairs with my 580gtx sli rig, and the newest drivers. I played the single campaign and my computer didn't crash...it just turned off :mad:

What do you mean your other computer just turned off? It if turned off on it's own while you were in-game then it crashed.

Full system specs plz.

Had a customers system with tri-SLI 670s that would lock up only when playing FFXIV. Everything else was cherry. Turned out it was the PSU.

Might also be the power that he has his PC plugged into might not be that great or stable. If another power hungry system with the likes of SLI GTX 580s is just shutting down and the Titan has a dynamic clock that cranks the clock an voltage on demand you might have power issues somewhere.

Weird weird stuff going on....I think I narrowed it down though...So...my specs-3770k at 4.8, msi z77 gd65 mobo, 8 gigs ram xmp profile, 2 titans, Samsung ssd

Anyways, After trying everything, I uninstalled BF3 and then redownloaded the whole game and all the expansions. I installed the games and opened up the multiplayer browser. Was able to launch and get into a mp game and all is good...Nice fps, no stutters and with the newest drivers.

I noticed though that precision x osd was reading my tians core speed as 575mhz? I tried to manually adjust and ran a couple of other games, but still reading 575. When I open precision it shows 575 on the core, but if I fire up EVGA oc scanner it reads my overclock correctly. I figured precision was corrupt so I reinstalled it, and fired up Crysis 3, and osd shows my overclock and all the settings correctly.....Then :confused:

I fire up BF3 again and launch the game...instant lock up and my computer restarted...I seriously think there is an issue with precision, NVidia driver and BF3. All my other games work fine. At this point I'm just going to call it and leave BF3 alone. I have spent all day trying to fix this pos.....Hopefully the next driver update will fix this, but I don't know...

Weird weird stuff going on....I think I narrowed it down though...So...my specs-3770k at 4.8, msi z77 gd65 mobo, 8 gigs ram xmp profile, 2 titans, Samsung ssd

Anyways, After trying everything, I uninstalled BF3 and then redownloaded the whole game and all the expansions. I installed the games and opened up the multiplayer browser. Was able to launch and get into a mp game and all is good...Nice fps, no stutters and with the newest drivers.

I noticed though that precision x osd was reading my tians core speed as 575mhz? I tried to manually adjust and ran a couple of other games, but still reading 575. When I open precision it shows 575 on the core, but if I fire up EVGA oc scanner it reads my overclock correctly. I figured precision was corrupt so I reinstalled it, and fired up Crysis 3, and osd shows my overclock and all the settings correctly.....Then :confused:

I fire up BF3 again and launch the game...instant lock up and my computer restarted...I seriously think there is an issue with precision, NVidia driver and BF3. All my other games work fine. At this point I'm just going to call it and leave BF3 alone. I have spent all day trying to fix this pos.....Hopefully the next driver update will fix this, but I don't know...

Sounds like a PSU or power issue... what is your PSU, as people asked? :) I've heard of no widespread issue with the Titan + 314.22 + BF3, so it's almost definitely something with your rig.

You need to disable any and all in game overlays that appear while playing. While some can run them with no issues, they can cause crashes on certain configurations. Specifically:

1) Origin has an in game overlay in the options. DISABLE IT.
2) MSI afterburner has an in game overlay. Some games WILL crash if it is enabled. Other games will crash when you alt tab. DISABLE IT IF THIS APPLIES.
3) EVGA Precision is similar to afterburner. Programmed by the same guy. DISABLE THE INGAME OVERLAY.

This is a very common issue with a common fix. While I can run the overlays in some games, I get crashes in all assassin's creed and origin games with MSI afterburner overlay enabled. This is random and only affects certain configurations, but I have been able to fix friends' crashes with the same method. Bottom line: disable all overlays if you crash in various games as your first step. As for clockspeed in game, are you playing full screen mode?

You need to disable any and all in game overlays that appear while playing. While some can run them with no issues, they can cause crashes on certain configurations. Specifically:

1) Origin has an in game overlay in the options. DISABLE IT.
2) MSI afterburner has an in game overlay. Some games WILL crash if it is enabled. Other games will crash when you alt tab. DISABLE IT IF THIS APPLIES.
3) EVGA Precision is similar to afterburner. Programmed by the same guy. DISABLE THE INGAME OVERLAY.

This is a very common issue with a common fix. While I can run the overlays in some games, I get crashes in all assassin's creed and origin games with MSI afterburner overlay enabled. This is random and only affects certain configurations, but I have been able to fix friends' crashes with the same method. Bottom line: disable all overlays if you crash in various games as your first step. As for clockspeed in game, are you playing full screen mode?

Excellent post here, I forgot about that whole thing with overlays nowadays :eek: .

Sounds like a PSU or power issue... what is your PSU, as people asked? :) I've heard of no widespread issue with the Titan + 314.22 + BF3, so it's almost definitely something with your rig.

Thanks for the reply...Actually, with my full day of dealing with this mess, There is actually a huge number of people dealing with BF3 and NVidia Titan/newest drivers, etc. The NVidia GeForce forums has a lot of threads on problems with the driver and BF3

I actually just crashed again and instead of hard booting, I waited with a blank screen...windows 8 finally came around and I received an error pointing to "DirectX function-getdeviceremovedreasonfailed" a quick google pointed me to these threads

http://www.overclock.net/t/1358287/...with-dxgi-error-device-hung-please-help-error

https://forums./default/topic/527921/directx-function-34-getdeviceremovedreason-34-failed-with-dxgi_error_device_hung/

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654348123376288/

I don't know but all my other games run flawlessly...any I have a Corsair ax1200 that has been running perfect for almost 2 years, so I know it's not my psu...

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply...Actually, with my full day of dealing with this mess, There is actually a huge number of people dealing with BF3 and NVidia Titan/newest drivers, etc. The NVidia GeForce forums has a lot of threads on problems with the driver and BF3

I actually just crashed again and instead of hard booting, I waited with a blank screen...windows 8 finally came around and I received an error pointing to "DirectX function-getdeviceremovedreasonfailed" a quick google pointed me to these threads

http://www.overclock.net/t/1358287/...with-dxgi-error-device-hung-please-help-error

https://forums./default/topic/527921/directx-function-34-getdeviceremovedreason-34-failed-with-dxgi_error_device_hung/

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654348123376288/

I don't know but all my other games run flawlessly...any I have a Corsair ax1200 that has been running perfect for almost 2 years, so I know it's not my psu...

And parts go bad everyday. I'd swap the PSU and see if anything changed.

No issues here and just got done with an hour of BF3 at 1440p max settings. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit Premiumm with EVGA Precision X (latest one) and 314.22 driver. In fact I run my card at +160/+200 during BF3 at stock volts and its stable as a rock. No hardlocks, no crashes, nothing.

Last edited:
closing the over lay and turning off the settings in origin, etc. seem to have done the trick. Was able to finally launch both single and MP games and play non stop for a few hours. Were a few times where the game would not respond but at least I can play now. thanks

Glad it is somewhat resolved. I know the feeling of paying top dollar for quality components and have them fail where your previous parts worked.

I reading over the thread and I must ask since I didn't see this (or I missed it.) Have you tried playing the game with just 1 titan? In other words, testing each one individually?

I've recently decided to upgrade to a 680 GTX (EVGA SC+) and sell my old 480 GTX. As I was doing some reading on the 680 GTX I came across people who gave up on 680 GTX SLI and BF3 due to constant problems.

It should be much simpler then trying out another PSU which is a damn PITA.

Glad it is somewhat resolved. I know the feeling of paying top dollar for quality components and have them fail where your previous parts worked.

I reading over the thread and I must ask since I didn't see this (or I missed it.) Have you tried playing the game with just 1 titan? In other words, testing each one individually?

I've recently decided to upgrade to a 680 GTX (EVGA SC+) and sell my old 480 GTX. As I was doing some reading on the 680 GTX I came across people who gave up on 680 GTX SLI and BF3 due to constant problems.

It should be much simpler then trying out another PSU which is a damn PITA.

Thanks for the reply. No I have not tried just running on one titan, but I am 100% confident this is a software issue...Either with the game itself or perhaps windows 8 and DX/NVidia drivers, as I also got a Direct x bsod.

I built my rig a little over a month ago and took my time, and other then BF3, it has been rock solid and stable. I am very OCD and make sure every thing is installed and working correctly.
I have a custom ray storm water block/kit.

my 3770k runs very cool, and my case is big and my Titans run cool. I'll just have to insert another piece of code to my brain memory and remember to shut off overlay running programs prior to launching BF3. It sux and is a pita, but it is what it is....

Sup fellas-Can any of u guys with titans confirm the problem I am having. I have the latest 314.22 drivers installed and all my games (crysis3 bio-shock,acm,hitman) all run perfectly.

I fired up BF3 last night and my whole system locked up. I have had multiple Bsods on windows8 all pointing to driver issues. I was able to actually load a single player game just a few minutes ago, but after 5 minutes of gaming, my comp hard locked.

Everything is updated, my cpu is on water, and my cards are at stock, but even overclocked, I can play all my other games for hours. I think it's a driver issue but I would like validation. Thanks

dont have a titan but i experience a similar issue.
while on battlelog, joining a server, my display drivers will fail and sometimes my pc will even lock up and require a restart.

Back