Titan - Amanda TEC assisted CPU cooler

$70 for that big cooler is not too bad considering the Ultra 120 is about $50 + a 120mm quality fan, $20-25, would cost you the same $70 as well!

How the hell did you drill through your motherboard?
How many holes?

I didn't think that would be possible!

One thing I don't get about this cooler is the TEC part. Why does it have to work with that?

Why couldn't it be like every other cooler, but with support for Dual Fans which could be connected to a mobo fan header or fan controller?

What's so special?

orion23 said:
$70 for that big cooler is not too bad considering the Ultra 120 is about $50 + a 120mm quality fan, $20-25, would cost you the same $70 as well!

How the hell did you drill through your motherboard?
How many holes?

I didn't think that would be possible!

One thing I don't get about this cooler is the TEC part. Why does it have to work with that?

Why couldn't it be like every other cooler, but with support for Dual Fans which could be connected to a mobo fan header or fan controller?

What's so special?

How did we drill? Very slowly. There were just 2 holes that needed modding. They needed to be opened about 1/16" and there was about 1/4" space between the hole and the closest tracers. Like I said, it was rather nerve racking as I had never done anything like that before, but thankfully I had assistance that is experienced and whom I trusted.

It is like other coolers as far as basic design (copper plate/heatpipes/heatsink/fans), and the fact is it will function as such, if the TEC should ever fail. There are a set of heat pipes through the copper plate that is between the TEC and cpu. This set of pipes are actually cooler than room temp thus the air blowing through the hot pipes is actually cooler than ambient temp. The results is the air exhasted from the Amanda is just barely warm when under extreme loads and the cpu stay cooler, equaling more voltage, which can lead to higher overclocks.

When taking into consideration the price and noise level of Amanda at Max, I believe this would out preform any air-cooler, and perhaps a few H2O setups, at similar volume, currently on the market.

That poor, poor motherboard. Good grief. It looks like a cross between Bane and the Hulk sitting on top of a Fiat Bambino, trying to get into it.

What is the rated max weight for HSFs on sockets, these days?

joemama said:
I would really like to see that tested head to head with the Amanda...the designs are very similar but I'm guessing the Amanda would win out by virtue of the dual push/pull fans.

You sir, are correct. The biggest negative I have read about the Monsoon II is the fan noise. The fan the run between 2000 and 2600rpm, constantly changing speed dependant of the mode, and apparently seems to drive reviewers a bit nuts. The Amanda however, has (2) 92mm fans that seem to run at a constant 1500rpm, thus not oscillating or creating annoyance, yet remaining remarkably quiet.

I am currently finishing up some benchmarks and should have some oc results shortly.

RexPokinghorn said:
Where can i buy this in the US?

Apparently this is the only Titan distibutor in North America:
http://www.inland-products.com/

The Amanda is not listed on thier website yet, but should be shortly. I got lucky in acquiring mine so early. They didn't have thier shipment in yet, but Titan had sent one preview, of each model (AMD or Intel), and she was kind enough to sell me the AMD one. :D $70(us).

If your looking for an Intel version, it might still be available...give their sales department a call. ;)

The real-world results are in...

Titan Amanda cooling AMD64 4000+ (San Diego) w/AS5, All Prime95 stable 12+ hrs, ambient temp 24c(+/-1c).

CPU Volts Idle Load
2.40 1.37v 30c 37c (stock speed/volts)
2.64 1.37v 30c 38c
2.74 1.42v 31c 42c
2.80 1.46v 32c 43c
2.82 1.50v 32c 44c
2.86 1.50v 32c 44c
2.88 1.62v 34c 49c
2.94 1.66v 35c 50c
3.01 1.70v 36c 52c (not stable)

While gaming (FEAR & Oblivion) for a few hours, my max temp is 41c.

I have backed it down to 2.86GHz since that seems to be where the sweet spot
volt/temp wise is. The preformance I was gaining going past this point was not worth the extra
volts/heat to me. I feel this is hitting the limits of my cpu. Im at the inching point now so
thought I would post these results for people that are interested in its overclocking performance.

Summary:
Did it allow me to overclock my cpu any higher? No. But I attest this to the fact that my previous cooler
performed pretty well in the first place and that my system has hit a wall. Im guessing it's the cpu as I have read here that 2.8+ is a good oc on the 4000+. I am however, able to now
obtain my max oc on this chip -8c cooler and approximately -15db quieter than before.
One really nice aspect of this cooler is the instant gratification of the temps. My cpu drops from full load to idle temps literally in 60 seconds.

Overall, this makes the Titan Amanda a winner in my book. I am very satisfied with the results and I am now looking at getting a FX-57 just to play
around with, hopefully this will be a better chip to really stress Amanda and see what she is made
of, but at this point, I feel that it will be more than adequit to allow me a very nice oc on any chip I put under it.
I'll keep you all posted!

I just received an email from Titan stating that they are changing the mounting so that it will fit universally (without afore mentioned modification) on both AMD and Intel. Having been in the game for 15 years, I give them a bit of credibilty although they are not a household name, they really seem to care about putting out quality products and making manufacturing adjustments on the fly.

well that's pretty damn sweet. I have a a8n32 aswell with a 4400+ and if this thing can be installed without the drastic busting-up-of-mobo i will definetly be going for this one.

I have a stock amd cooler now since the arctic cooling "pro" was just about the worse cooler I ever seen (fan died after 2 months).

larkin said:
well that's pretty damn sweet. I have a a8n32 aswell with a 4400+ and if this thing can be installed without the drastic busting-up-of-mobo i will definetly be going for this one.

I have a stock amd cooler now since the arctic cooling "pro" was just about the worse cooler I ever seen (fan died after 2 months).

The intel version that they will have out first (before they go with the universal mounting) might not suffer the same issues I had with mine. And even though I would currently recommend a professional install to a newb, if your an enthusiast, there shouldn't be any major issues with installation. Where there is a will there is a way...is that not our motto!?! :p

As an update to the performance of the Amanda, she is working great, but I seem to need some additional cooling on my mobo heat-pipes not as the air is slightly restricted by the Amanda. Im not to concerned with adding a small 40mm fan or something over the north-bridge fins, but it's something for potential buyers to keep in mind.

Bloodgod42 said:
Apparently this is the only Titan distibutor in North America:
http://www.inland-products.com/

The Amanda is not listed on thier website yet, but should be shortly. I got lucky in acquiring mine so early. They didn't have thier shipment in yet, but Titan had sent one preview, of each model (AMD or Intel), and she was kind enough to sell me the AMD one. :D $70(us).

If your looking for an Intel version, it might still be available...give their sales department a call. ;)
It won't be out for another month.

I want one now :(

So it looks like it's a good investment then...if I can put in the PCI card (which I can't unless there's a PCI-E 4x version, because that's the only slot that is semi-uncovered on my mobo. There ARE downsides to 7900GTX SLI.

Sovereign said:
So it looks like it's a good investment then...if I can put in the PCI card (which I can't unless there's a PCI-E 4x version, because that's the only slot that is semi-uncovered on my mobo. There ARE downsides to 7900GTX SLI.

Yes, needing an open pci slot is also something to also consider. (Un)fortunately, I dont have the SLI problem. :(

Just looking at those pics I get that same sickening feeling I get as I watch my motherboards flex and groan as I strain to use the mounting clip...

I am curious how that R-120 would have handled a real TEC...

personally, i think the idea behind this is great, but the results aren't impressive enough to warrant the 150 dollar pricetag

Chiliman said:
personally, i think the idea behind this is great, but the results aren't impressive enough to warrant the 150 dollar pricetag

You have the Amanda($70) confused with the Monsoon II ($150). :)

oh, wow, nevermind then, i think the pricetag is fitting, thats just barely above the price of the big typhoon. Good stuff then

Maybe i will pick one up!

Chiliman said:
oh, wow, nevermind then, i think the pricetag is fitting, thats just barely above the price of the big typhoon. Good stuff then

Maybe i will pick one up!
Good luck getting one. It seems nobody has them yet until next month :(

Here is the latest update on availabilty:

From Inland Products saleswoman:
"Thank you for your interest and recommendations. This product should be available in a few months here in the U.S. But being that I am getting quite a few inquiries, if I can get a bunch of people to commit to purchasing them I could probably air them in. I believe 20 to 30 units committed to being puchased would make it possible. So its still up in the air as far as ETA. But if you know of a few people who would be interested have them call me. I start a list, and when we get enough buyers I approach my boss in regards to flying them in."
Rae Cabral
inland Product, Inc
714-525-9800 Ext104

So if your interested in this product, this is the only north american route to go...give her a call, she's a real sweetheart! ;)

I just spoke to Rae and she added me to a waiting list, she said that they should be arriving around the first week of December and should be in the range of 100$ and that once they arrive she will e-mailing or calling those that are in her list

Back