Tired of washed out Blacks

Kato1144

Limp Gawd
I have a 27" LCD 1080p ASUS monitor from 2013, when playing Resident Evil 7 i noticed how washed out the blacks are and how hard it was for me to see anything in really dark areas, I had to cheat and turn up my brightness as i was getting really frustrated with the washed out blacks all looking the same with no definition, seeing how I can't bring back my recycled CRT's (man I was so foolish in 2007, recycled my CRT monitors, sold my best overclocking PC of all time and bought a Xbox 360) I was wondering what kinda of monitor should I be looking for better Black contrast that dose not look washed out, I see LED LDC's are everywhere but as i read it they are not much better then what i currently have, maybe OLED? I don't know

I'm doing 1080p gaming at 60FPS so that's kinda the direction I"m going in as I have no interest in 4k

Thanks for reading

Image quality and black level production varies widely across OLED, VA LCD, IPS LCD and manufacturer, panel size, etc, etc. That being said, OLEDs are capable of much more contrast, and usually darker blacks than regular LCDs. But they're also expensive. I'd look for either one of those, which should be easy if you're only looking for 1080@60Hz. Or, if you're not in that price range, a VA panel instead of an IPS.

I would love to look at some OLED monitors but I can't seem to find any on newegg or my local computer store except for OLED TV's, any idea were I could get OLED monitors online? other then that I guess I could get a really good LED LCD monitor for 1080p gaming at 60 fps any suggestions as the LED monitors are extremely available to me apparently

I would love to look at some OLED monitors but I can't seem to find any on newegg or my local computer store except for OLED TV's, any idea were I could get OLED monitors online? other then that I guess I could get a really good LED LCD monitor for 1080p gaming at 60 fps any suggestions as the LED monitors are extremely available to me apparently
OLED monitors basically don't exist (unless you count Sony's professional displays). Dell showed a 30" prototype a year or two back that was supposed to cost $5k and be released this year or last, but latest word is that it's been canceled. I believe there are still some issues with image retention and color degradation that make OLEDs less suitable for computer use, and it may be several years yet before we really start to see them become widely available (or available at all).

ok, i thought they were commercially available, thanks for the info I will look in the the LED LCD's but I think for now I will probably stick with this monitor unless the LED LCD's are a mark improvement over what i got: ASUS PB238

thanks for reading

One of the Samsung quantum dot monitors should meet your needs. I have the 24 inch 1080p model and the blacks are awesome.

Back