Tired of G15 but lost with mech. choices

TheGardenTool

2[H]4U
I know this gets asked and I've been reading over this stuff off and on for months. I'm just hoping for a bit of help and insight from others.

I'm getting kind of tired of my Logitech G15 v2. There's nothing wrong with it except for low KRO, extra features and buttons I don't need.

I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard but there are a lot of choices not only in switches but also key layout and extra features. It's been since probably the 90s and maybe into the early 2000s that I used some IBM Model M keyboards.

Ideally I want something for gaming that also does well with typing. I'm looking at still being in school for 3 more years full time to finish up undergraduate work and then as soon as possible going to graduate school for 1-2 years. So I will probably doing a lot more typing than gaming for awhile. But of course I want to be able to kick back playing all different genres of gaming.

I don't want clicky so I know that rules out Cherry MX Blues. And of course I hear so many mixed things about the other 3 common switches. There aren't any stores around me that carry a wide variety of mechanicals so I can't go test out different ones.

Another thing I want is as simple of a 104 keyboard as possible. Filco looks like the perfect style I'm looking for but they are really hard to find for a decent price in the US, outside of the blacks on Amazon as a fulfillment order. I also like the US ANSI layout the best. TKL is an appealing idea but I use the keys too much to give them up.

Backlighting, USB hub, etc aren't required. The backlighting on the G15 was nice in certain circumstances but I rarely have to keep the lights off of I'll turn on a lamp on the desk. Never used the USB ports. Got plenty open on the front and back I/O panels.

There's just so many choices and companies I've never heard of until I started looking around.

I know this gets asked and I've been reading over this stuff off and on for months. I'm just hoping for a bit of help and insight from others.

I'm getting kind of tired of my Logitech G15 v2. There's nothing wrong with it except for low KRO, extra features and buttons I don't need.

I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard but there are a lot of choices not only in switches but also key layout and extra features. It's been since probably the 90s and maybe into the early 2000s that I used some IBM Model M keyboards.

Ideally I want something for gaming that also does well with typing. I'm looking at still being in school for 3 more years full time to finish up undergraduate work and then as soon as possible going to graduate school for 1-2 years. So I will probably doing a lot more typing than gaming for awhile. But of course I want to be able to kick back playing all different genres of gaming.

I don't want clicky so I know that rules out Cherry MX Blues. And of course I hear so many mixed things about the other 3 common switches. There aren't any stores around me that carry a wide variety of mechanicals so I can't go test out different ones.

Another thing I want is as simple of a 104 keyboard as possible. Filco looks like the perfect style I'm looking for but they are really hard to find for a decent price in the US, outside of the blacks on Amazon as a fulfillment order. I also like the US ANSI layout the best. TKL is an appealing idea but I use the keys too much to give them up.

Backlighting, USB hub, etc aren't required. The backlighting on the G15 was nice in certain circumstances but I rarely have to keep the lights off of I'll turn on a lamp on the desk. Never used the USB ports. Got plenty open on the front and back I/O panels.

There's just so many choices and companies I've never heard of until I started looking around.

I've used Logitech keyboards for years. I currently have a G15v1 and v2, and a G19. However I started on a buckling spring IBM keyboard back when the keyboard case was solid steel and heavy enough to knock someone out if you hit them with it.

I moved to a Logitech G710+, which has the media keys and volume control I wanted, plus the backlighting and some macro keys, and MX Browns with dampeners. I made this choice after ordering a sampler pack from WASD (http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/sampler-kit-1.html) since I also wasn't in a place to go audition various switch types in person.

I've used it for a little while, and I've decided two things: It's excellent for typing, but I want something like reds or blacks for gaming. So it's going to be moved to my other computer which I do most of my typing on (by the way, the browns have a bit of tactile feedback, but nothing like the blues or buckling-spring keyboards, which the Model M is...order that sampler kit. It's cheap and it'll give you a good idea of how the various switches feel in relation to each other) and I just bought a Corsair Vengeance K70 with MX Reds to replace it.

My reason was simple: I primarily play twitch games, and there have been too many times where I'd hit a key expecting an action (e.g., tapping C to crouch) only to find that I didn't actuate it fully. That's jarring and can get me killed. The K70 offers everything I wanted from the G710+, minus the macro keys which I find I just don't use. And if I really need them, I also have a G13 for that.

I recommend the Ducky Shine II

I'll take a look into it. First glance is it fits just about everything I'd want. Not very about the lock keys having the indicators on them but that might just be a small annoyance.

I've used Logitech keyboards for years. I currently have a G15v1 and v2, and a G19. However I started on a buckling spring IBM keyboard back when the keyboard case was solid steel and heavy enough to knock someone out if you hit them with it.

I moved to a Logitech G710+, which has the media keys and volume control I wanted, plus the backlighting and some macro keys, and MX Browns with dampeners. I made this choice after ordering a sampler pack from WASD (http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/sampler-kit-1.html) since I also wasn't in a place to go audition various switch types in person.

I've used it for a little while, and I've decided two things: It's excellent for typing, but I want something like reds or blacks for gaming. So it's going to be moved to my other computer which I do most of my typing on (by the way, the browns have a bit of tactile feedback, but nothing like the blues or buckling-spring keyboards, which the Model M is...order that sampler kit. It's cheap and it'll give you a good idea of how the various switches feel in relation to each other) and I just bought a Corsair Vengeance K70 with MX Reds to replace it.

My reason was simple: I primarily play twitch games, and there have been too many times where I'd hit a key expecting an action (e.g., tapping C to crouch) only to find that I didn't actuate it fully. That's jarring and can get me killed. The K70 offers everything I wanted from the G710+, minus the macro keys which I find I just don't use. And if I really need them, I also have a G13 for that.

Thanks for the suggestion on the sampler. That's probably what I'll need to do. Not really interested in the G710+ though because it has all the extra stuff I don't use on the G15 anyway.

From what you describe, I'd look into the Ducky Zero 2108 series or Rosewill RK9000 series of keyboards; both are more budget-oriented no-frills full-sized (104) boards which is perfect for entry level when you are still undecided on what Cherry MX switch type you may prefer. Their price and quality give them high resale value even as donor boards (harvesting switches for custom projects); so if you don't like the switch choice there are many options to regain most of the money you spent on it should you not be able to return it.

After doing some more reading, I think I may wait for the CM Quickfire XT before making any decisions. It looks like it'll be pretty close to what I want.

MX brown and reds comes to mind. Clears would be amazing if you can get them

Back